#1 Old 03-23-2006, 03:39 PM
Beginner

Hello,

I'd like to try to avoid any food containing Gluten for a week for

health reasons. I'd like to know which grain products I should avoid and

how to replace them. This is going to be tough because I really like

breads, pasta, cereals, etc. Fortunately, I know a natural products store

that sells different types of grain products, therefore I could find

Gluten-free grain or non-grain products.

Thank you,

Sebastian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post

Hello,

I'd like to try to avoid any food containing Gluten for a week for

health reasons. I'd like to know which grain products I should avoid and

how to replace them. This is going to be tough because I really like

breads, pasta, cereals, etc. Fortunately, I know a natural products store

that sells different types of grain products, therefore I could find

Gluten-free grain or non-grain products.

Thank you,

Sebastian

Be very carefull of fake "meats" - many are made from wheat protein. I don't know if you want to eat corn and rice or not, but if you do, they make corn and rice pasta. When I dropped grains, I didn't eat either... Soy noodles are actually pretty good.
#3 Old 03-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Gluten is contained in barley, wheat, rye, spelt, kamut, and triticale. Oats do not technically contain gluten but are always cross contaminated with wheat, at least in the USA they are. So they aren't safe either. Rice, millet, amaranth, quinoa, buchwheat, and teff are safe. You can get brown rice pasta at the health food store which is very tasty. Also, DeLand Bakery makes a very good gluten free bread that your health food store may have. They also make flatbreads, hotdog buns, burger buns, and dinner rolls. There are also lots of good gluten free crackers (Mary's Gone and Edwards & Sons are my favorites). Pamela's makes a great gluten free brownie mix. Namaste also has some good mixes for baking. Be careful though; even things that say "spices" can mean gluten. I called the Nasoya company and they told me that none of their products are gluten free, even though they have nothing on the label that would appear to be gluten. Unless a processed food says "gluten-free" you can never be sure. Fortunately, more and more things are being labeled. I hope it goes well. It's really not as hard as it may seem at first. I'm celiac and have been off it for almost three years and I don't even miss it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-23-2006, 06:49 PM

Wow, that is a toughie. Good luck avoiding gluten. Do you think you are allergic to it maybe?
#5 Old 03-23-2006, 06:58 PM
Beginner

I think Gluten might be at least part of the cause of my acne and I'd like to try to see if after a week of Gluten-free diet my skin will improve.

What about wild rice? Does it contain Gluten as well (my health food store has wild rice pasta)? Also, do gluten-free products have less protein or nutrients?

Thanks for the replies
#6 Old 03-23-2006, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post

I think Gluten might be at least part of the cause of my acne and I'd like to try to see if after a week of Gluten-free diet my skin will improve.

What about wild rice? Does it contain Gluten as well (my health food store has wild rice pasta)? Also, do gluten-free products have less protein or nutrients?

Thanks for the replies

I would say that depends on what it is made out of instead of gluten. I would assume they might have less protein because gluten is basically all the protein the the wheat flour, isn't it?
#7 Old 03-23-2006, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it usually takes more than a week for certain food allergies but I could be wrong.

You could always just go have a blood test.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 03-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I think it usually takes more than a week for certain food allergies but I could be wrong.

You could always just go have a blood test.

I would say to give it more than a week too. When I accidentally get some gluten, my reaction lasts a good week. I usually have joint pain, headaches, mouth sores, and sometimes pimples.

Wild rice is gluten free. But make sure that the pasta has just wild rice and not a blend of that and some other grain. Read ingredients on everything.

I wouldn't worry about protein and nutrient levels. If indeed you do have an allergy to gluten or some sort of sensetivity, the gluten is harming you anyhow; you'll be better off without it.
#9 Old 03-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Beginner

In that case I might go two weeks without Gluten ( I hope it won't be expensive... ).

I always read the labels (my friends make fun of me because of that )

As for the protein, I am very active and I need a lot of it. Unfortunately, I have the impression I don't get enough so I have to make a better dietary plan.
#10 Old 03-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Beginner

I just found out how hard it is to know if your food contains or was in contact with glutenous foods

The best way would be to prepare the cereals, breads, etc. by myself. Nevertheless, I did buy wild rice, brown rice and vegetal pasta
#11 Old 03-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Beginner

does sour dough contain gluten...?
#12 Old 03-26-2006, 12:29 AM

I know two people very well with celiac sprue disease, when your completely intolerant to gluten. It's a lot of work and it is expensive. If your checking for an allergry to it also make sure to check for vinegar, which will be in almost all condiments. Almost all alcoholic beverages except clear rum and vodka, if you drink.
#13 Old 03-26-2006, 12:33 AM

Quote:
does sour dough contain gluten...?

Yes. There maybe a gluten free version you can buy. I would sugest to try to make your own. To warn you ahead alot of gluton free bread is kinda dry and tend to kinda fall apart
#14 Old 03-26-2006, 12:44 AM
Beginner

Thanks. I think that the best option would be to make my own bread.
#15 Old 03-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

i <3 gluten and go out of my way to add pure gluten flour to everything i make (which is avery bread product my family eats)

if you're making your own bread i have a little tip to help compensate for the dry, crumbly nature of gluten-free bread. If the recipe calls for 1 and 1/4 cups of liquid (milk or water) substitute applesauce...the whole quantity...i make almost all my bread products with at least one whole cup of applesauce and it makes the bread incredibly moist, and keeps it tasting fresher for a few extra days.

i did have a cousin who was alergic to gluten, but it was a strong alergy and was discovered when he was a child. What makes you believe gluten may be a problem for you? just your acne? acne can be caused by so many things that i think gluten would be way down on my list of possible causes.
#16 Old 03-26-2006, 11:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Try tapioca bread.

You can buy rice bread also.

Both those are gluten free... Might not be vegan though.

I personally buy the sprouted breads of Ezekial. Body digests it slightly differently than wheat.
#17 Old 03-27-2006, 01:07 AM

I would agree about ruling out other things before going to having a gluten allergy. They tend to really severe causing weight loss, fatigue and a whole list of digestive disturbances.
#18 Old 03-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romac View Post

i <3 gluten and go out of my way to add pure gluten flour to everything i make (which is avery bread product my family eats)

if you're making your own bread i have a little tip to help compensate for the dry, crumbly nature of gluten-free bread. If the recipe calls for 1 and 1/4 cups of liquid (milk or water) substitute applesauce...the whole quantity...i make almost all my bread products with at least one whole cup of applesauce and it makes the bread incredibly moist, and keeps it tasting fresher for a few extra days.

i did have a cousin who was alergic to gluten, but it was a strong alergy and was discovered when he was a child. What makes you believe gluten may be a problem for you? just your acne? acne can be caused by so many things that i think gluten would be way down on my list of possible causes.

I tried to rule out other things before. I eat extremely healthy, exercise, meditate, etc. I know that nuts worsen my acne and I am currently trying to see if a 2 weeks of gluten-free diet can make a difference. Why gluten? Simply because I have the feeling that when I consume it, it has a slight aversive effect on me.

Today it's day two of my gluten-free diet and I feel better (I sleep better, longer and take less time to fall asleep). I feel better physically but...ironically, my skin is doing worse... I guess I have to wait some more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page