photography's not vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By zsutton42

#1 Old 03-13-2006, 12:21 PM

i recently became vegan two months ago. or so i thought...my sister just informed me the other day (who's been vegan for almost two years) that there is gelatin in polaroid pictures (which i use a lot). photography is the field i want to go into, and now i'm finding that it's not vegan. i did a little reserch, and there isn't much, but what i found was not only do polaroids use gelatin but, that gelatin is in all film. there was once a film that was "vegetarian" but it didnt work very well. does anybody else know of these things? i know it's up to one's self to determine how far they are going to take veganism. i just dont know if i'm willing to give up my love and passion.

how do you feel about this?

here's the link where i found my information

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...id=00EgOX&tag=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

It's true that gelatin is used in traditional film photography. But what about digital cameras? Can you afford a nice one?

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 03-13-2006, 12:26 PM

well i'm going to be going to college for photography and they require that we use a 35 mm, so for a while i will not be able to. also, my favorite medium is polaroids. i guess it's just something i have to figure out for myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, thank goodness. I'm hugely immersed in photography, and for a moment when reading this thread title, my heart skipped a beat, kinda. Haha, but no, I'm a digital gal, thank goodness. Sucks that that's the traditional way of doing things. Puts the art to shame!
#5 Old 03-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so glad someone brought this up. I gave my dad a digital camera for xmas for this reason alone. Sneaky huh?

But just to get weird & extreme on you... do you ever think about things like this when you go to a movie theater? Think of all the gelatin that went into the reels of film... there's got to be at least a whole pig in there

I haven't sworn off movies completely, but--maybe it's just a coincidence--I haven't been to the theater since I learned about this. Used DVDs are so much cooler anyway, if you can wait a month or 2.
#6 Old 03-15-2006, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PneumaticJawz78 View Post

Oh, thank goodness. I'm hugely immersed in photography, and for a moment when reading this thread title, my heart skipped a beat, kinda. Haha, but no, I'm a digital gal, thank goodness. Sucks that that's the traditional way of doing things. Puts the art to shame!

me too--and my fiancee got me a cool digital camera for my b-day last year---sooo ahppy that they are okay to use....cause if it wasnt i would feel bad about it.

peace and love

jenn
#7 Old 03-15-2006, 04:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, and No. It's true that film used gelatin, but photograph is not consider non-vegan anymore than driving a car is considered not vegan because of the animal materials used in automobiles, roads and tires. The unfortunate fact is that we live in a non-vegan world, so rather than cut yourself off from the world and everything in it just focus on the larger issues. When meat production goes down, gelatin prices will raise and the industry will start using alternatives. Boycotting photography and film and theatre is not going to save the lives of any animals.

VeganOutreach.org discusses gelatin in film and offers the same opinion that there really is no point in boycotting these industries at this time.
#8 Old 03-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

VeganOutreach.org discusses gelatin in film and offers the same opinion that there really is no point in boycotting these industries at this time.

But then when is a good time? If the argument is "don't boycott things that are too well established", then I have to disagree. That's exactly when we must raise a big stink so that companies will get off their arses & use the alternatives.

I was glad to hear Eastman Kodak announce that it was getting out of the analog film biz last year. Now they're focusing on digital media. Imo the time is ripe for all of us to make the switch.
#9 Old 03-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Film is superior to digital from what I have heard. Boycotting film products would do less than boycotting that veg-friendly restaurant that also sells a fair share of animal items.
#10 Old 03-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotting View Post

Boycotting film products would do less than boycotting that veg-friendly restaurant that also sells a fair share of animal items.

Definitely. But if you've already boycotted them (as many of us have), and if you're ready to branch out into the world of non-food boycotts, like hair care products & toiletries, film is the next logical step.

Btw, I'm pretty sure that high-end digital SLR cameras are the best that technology has to offer. They come with a $1-2000 price tag, but I'm guessing anyone who's serious about photography is willing to make that investment.
#11 Old 03-15-2006, 07:08 PM

re: film is superior to digital. That may have been the case 5 years ago, but no longer. For the vast majority of photography (even much professional stuff), digital is great.

But, kpickell covered the main point of what I wanted to say. You can avoid gelatin in film, but animal by products are everywhere, including in your plastic camera, disks/storage you may use, etc.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#12 Old 03-15-2006, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

i shoot digital, and though i know film contains gelatin, i am not opposed to film photography. there simply is no veg version of traditional film. hopefully one day there will. it's up to you, but i don't think you should stop shooting film, especially if you're looking to make a career of it. what i suggest, if you're concerned about the gelatin in film, is buy a digital camera. keep shooting on film for your class assignments, but shoot digital for everything else. this way you can practice and improve on both formats. and if you do decide to make it a career, after college, you can shoot 100% digital. you would already have your technique down because of all the practice and your work will be just as great.
#13 Old 03-16-2006, 08:27 AM

i do have a digital camera and that is what i normally shoot on, i never thought about going to the movies though. there is no way of escaping this non-vegan world. unless maybe if we all lived on a commune like the farm . there have been some great points brought up in this, and i'm glad i posted it to get other's opinions. i'm not going to give up what i want to make as a career, and one day will be able to make the choice to only shoot on digital.
#14 Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 AM

Personally, wouldn't enter into any hobby and specially any profit making career which I knew to depend on even the smallest amount of animal suffering & death...using gelatine consciously is no different to eating it. Would you eat it?...no, of course not, so why use it in any other way. To participate is to condone - to profit from it is simply blood money.

Someone else has posted that by using cars we enter into nonvegan realm, and while we all hate that, given that this is modern times, for most of us cars are a necessity, it's unavoidable - public transport has the same issues. Tho we can choose cars without leather seats.

Sorry, this is a case where you have a choice and it's it's a big no as far as I'm concerned. I back up my opinion in my own life - many years ago I gave up my dream career because of my commitment to Veganism and conscious compassion - I have no regrets :)

#15 Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfoot View Post

Personally, wouldn't enter into any hobby and specially any profit making career which I knew to depend on even the smallest amount of animal suffering & death...using gelatine consciously is no different to eating it. Would you eat it?...no, of course not, so why use it in any other way. To participate is to condone - to profit from it is simply blood money.

Do you paint people who work in the medical professions with that very broad brush as well?  Many of the drugs I administer and products I use are either animal derived or are currently/were previously animal tested.  Should I simply stop being a nurse and caring for ailing human beings simply because many of the medications I give contain gelatin? 

My career, by your definition of depending "even on the smallest amount of animal suffering & death" is not appropriate for a vegan.  So I'm guessing that not only should all vegetarian and/or vegan nurses give up their jobs, so then should Drs. Barnard, Esselstyn, McDougall, et al should simply hang up their stethoscopes and quit the practice of medicine all together?

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#16 Old 07-20-2012, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquarePeg View Post

Do you paint people who work in the medical professions with that very broad brush as well?  Many of the drugs I administer and products I use are either animal derived or are currently/were previously animal tested.  Should I simply stop being a nurse and caring for ailing human beings simply because many of the medications I give contain gelatin? 

My career, by your definition of depending "even on the smallest amount of animal suffering & death" is not appropriate for a vegan.  So I'm guessing that not only should all vegetarian and/or vegan nurses give up their jobs, so then should Drs. Barnard, Esselstyn, McDougall, et al should simply hang up their stethoscopes and quit the practice of medicine all together?

I feel like medication is WORLDS away from watching an overpriced movie (though a lot of companies shoot digital now, it's cheaper). That being said, it's really hard to untangle yourself from a meateating, animal-exploiting world so you just do the best you can and keep at it, and that's all anyone can really ask for.

I always wonder about people who say they "love" animals, but continue to eat meat. If that's your idea of love, I question what sort of twisted world view you must have.

#17 Old 07-20-2012, 02:17 PM

SquarePeg ~ no need to get your knickers in a knot. You've made a choice you can live with which is simply a choice I could not live with. I should have said that I've been Vegan for 50yrs which is almost all my life. The life decisions I've made are always from the viewpoint of a lifetime of Veganism behind me, I simply have never seen the world through any other eyes and can't imagine it (nor do I want to).  I don't use modern medicine, never have and never will. Although having been Vegan so long I've found I've never been seriously sick anyway. I'm not for vaccinations either. I'm sure Vegans who work in the medical system have alot of insight to bring to the table with their knowledge on health via a healthful Vegan food intake. It must drive you crazy seeing people make themselves so sick with bad food choices without being able to make the changes you know they need to make smiley.gif

Much of modern medicine is necessary - which makes it as non optional as driving a car - but plenty of it is unnecessary. It's way past time drs stopped handing out destructive pharmaceuticals and started writing scripts for natural healing..but of course, there's no money in that so it will never happen. Pharmaceutical companies have much to answer for.

#18 Old 07-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Since giveupthegoat posted that thread 6 years ago, she's probably winning all kinds of film awards by now.
#19 Old 07-21-2012, 09:57 AM

lol 

#20 Old 07-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

erased by Jezebel

#21 Old 01-21-2018, 05:21 PM

I too am a vegan and I am conflicted by this. My passions are filmmaking (making movies) and photography. I care about what happens to animals as a result of the products I buy and use, however I find the results of film photography to be vastly more visually beautiful. I am very frustrated after finding out that film is not vegan. Digital photography has to much sharply clear imagery and the look of it doesn't vibe with me. Perhaps there is a way to use digital photography in a way that has a similar aesthetic to film? Perhaps a successful vegan type of film can be created?
#22 Old 01-21-2018, 05:26 PM

Digital projection is the status quo. Most theaters nowadays project digitally, although many filmmakers choose to shoot on film.
David3 likes this.
#23 Old 01-21-2018, 05:37 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by giveupthegoat View Post
i recently became vegan two months ago. or so i thought...my sister just informed me the other day (who's been vegan for almost two years) that there is gelatin in polaroid pictures (which i use a lot). photography is the field i want to go into, and now i'm finding that it's not vegan. i did a little reserch, and there isn't much, but what i found was not only do polaroids use gelatin but, that gelatin is in all film. there was once a film that was "vegetarian" but it didnt work very well. does anybody else know of these things? i know it's up to one's self to determine how far they are going to take veganism. i just dont know if i'm willing to give up my love and passion.

how do you feel about this?

here's the link where i found my information

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...id=00EgOX&tag=

99.9% of photography is vegan. Digital photography uses no gelatin-containing film. Traditional photographic film has collapsed into a tiny niche market. I consider this problem to be solved.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page