Stupid things omnivores say... (Version 2.0) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 03-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
WillowDancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 215
Version 1



I got a new one today. No offence is meant to diabetics...



Them: So do you believe in killing animals for medical research?



Me: No. If you absolutely need animals for research, let them die naturally. Besides, enough people donate organs when they die anyway.



Them: Well, you better stop taking your insulin then. You do know that it was created by testing on animals.



Me:



...



I don't take insulin.



Them: Then why are you vegetarian?



Me: *staring blankly*



Them: You are probably the only person on the planet who is vegetarian and not diabetic.





AND... end scene!
veganborn likes this.
WillowDancer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 03-01-2006, 06:14 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowDancer View Post

Version 1



I got a new one today. No offence is meant to diabetics...



Them: So do you believe in killing animals for medical research?



Me: No. If you absolutely need animals for research, let them die naturally. Besides, enough people donate organs when they die anyway.



Them: Well, you better stop taking your insulin then. You do know that it was created by testing on animals.



Me:



...



I don't take insulin.



Them: Then why are you vegetarian?



Me: *staring blankly*



Them: You are probably the only person on the planet who is vegetarian and not diabetic.





AND... end scene!



silly omnis.
GhostUser is offline  
#3 Old 03-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Veggie Regular
 
megveggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 692
Today:

Me: I'm a vegetarian.

Omni:" No you're not.

Me: Yes I am. When was the last time you saw me eat meat?

Omni: Last week!



Ha ha ha. Sure...
megveggie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 03-01-2006, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
*Sunflower*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 684
Omni: Do you eat a lot of salad?

Me: No, not really.

Omni: *wide eyes* Then WHAT do you eat?



Omni: Since you're a vegetarian, do you eat tuna?

Me: No.

Omni: What about crab? Lobster?

Me: No.



The seafood person knew I didn't eat dairy/eggs, but for some reason it didn't click that I don't eat fish, crabs and lobsters (I refer to them in the plural to acknowledge that they are animals and not a dish!).
*Sunflower* is offline  
#5 Old 03-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Medesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowDancer View Post

Version 1



I got a new one today. No offence is meant to diabetics...



Them: So do you believe in killing animals for medical research?



Me: No. If you absolutely need animals for research, let them die naturally. Besides, enough people donate organs when they die anyway.



Them: Well, you better stop taking your insulin then. You do know that it was created by testing on animals.



Me:



...



I don't take insulin.



Them: Then why are you vegetarian?



Me: *staring blankly*



Them: You are probably the only person on the planet who is vegetarian and not diabetic.





AND... end scene!



O.o
Medesha is offline  
#6 Old 03-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Beginner
 
Jim Gagnepain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 114
The one I'm tired of hearing is "How do you get your protein?"
Jim Gagnepain is offline  
#7 Old 03-01-2006, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular
 
anthony11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gagnepain View Post

The one I'm tired of hearing is "How do you get your protein?"

I'll sometimes show such a person a kidney stone fragment and ask them just why I should be loading up on proteins.
anthony11 is offline  
#8 Old 03-02-2006, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post

I'll sometimes show such a person a kidney stone fragment and ask them just why I should be loading up on proteins.



What, you keep it in your wallet?



But a great idea!

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#9 Old 03-02-2006, 02:44 AM
Veggie Regular
 
wildflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 212
i havent had anything recently..i dont come into much contact with people who arent my friends. even at my last job people didnt know i was a vegan.



willowdancer - thats just stupid. i cant believe someone actually said that!
wildflower is offline  
#10 Old 03-02-2006, 07:09 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Bluebutterfly05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 644
Yesterday my friend, when seeing me eating rice, said "do you know how many leaves died for that?"



But this isn't really stupid, just silly because she didn't really mean it seriously she's just being silly like she always does.
Bluebutterfly05 is offline  
#11 Old 03-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Amy SF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 20,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebutterfly05 View Post

Yesterday my friend, when seeing me eating rice, said "do you know how many leaves died for that?"



But this isn't really stupid, just silly because she didn't really mean it seriously she's just being silly like she always does.



That would still bug me. Why is it that when WE question omnis on their food choices, we're being "pushy and obnoxious and humorless", but when THEY say something about OUR food choices, it's OK b/c they're just kidding around and being silly?

*this space not for sale*
Amy SF is offline  
#12 Old 03-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Medesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,102
Well, we're not always. It depends on the person you're with. When I serve my husband dinner, I sometimes say things like, "Your dead animal flesh, sir," and he just laughs.
Medesha is offline  
#13 Old 03-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular
 
anthony11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

What, you keep it in your wallet? But a great idea!

No, at home and on the web.
anthony11 is offline  
#14 Old 03-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
~Wonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,182
I got the "What if you were on a deserted island with nothing but toxic plants and a wild boar?" on Monday. But it wasn't that bad, I did get her to eat half a boca burger at Denny's, which she liked.

~Wonder
~Wonder is offline  
#15 Old 03-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular
 
meatless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 5,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

That would still bug me. Why is it that when WE question omnis on their food choices, we're being "pushy and obnoxious and humorless", but when THEY say something about OUR food choices, it's OK b/c they're just kidding around and being silly?









It's especially when you consider that their words come out of ignorance and sometimes even hostility, but our words and choices come from a desire to reduce harm.
meatless is offline  
#16 Old 03-02-2006, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
UseHerName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 330
I like how lots of things get blamed on "not eating meat".



Ex) Me: "My arm hurts".

Them: "See, that's from not eating meat"



Eh?
UseHerName is offline  
#17 Old 03-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
dopedanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 251
i've been hanging around on too many forums lately. on the one for donnington festival someone put up a suggestion for a vegan food stall. wasnt long before the omni's crashed it - a few of my favourites:



Quote:
MEAATTTTTTTTTTTTT I LOVVVVVEEE MEEAAATTTTT



Rotting Carcus!



why would we need a stall full of vegans?



shut up, carrots gives you aids.



all i say is if you are in a jungle and theres a lion is it gonna say "hey dont eat meat thats bad". is it ****! its gonna rip the utter **** outta you. same with sheep. they are right sneaky *******!



how you think human beings survived from day 1? eating carrots and potatoes? did they ****. every animal/ mammal eats smaller species for millions of years its called survival.



veggies have been aroud for a very short time, veggiwes are off their melts. meat = food. not play toys.



And this was before they suggested a freshly slaughtered animal stall...
dopedanny is offline  
#18 Old 03-02-2006, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseHerName View Post

I like how lots of things get blamed on "not eating meat".



Ex) Me: "My arm hurts".

Them: "See, that's from not eating meat"



Eh?



Nope.... It's because my arm knows how hard I am about to whack you!
froggythefrog is offline  
#19 Old 03-02-2006, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular
 
VegWithEdge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 878
I had the worlds WORST day today and some of my stupid omni friends helped to contribute. I go to a Catholic school so as part of lent people dont eat red meats on ash wed. (yesterday) and fridays. Well, one of my friends said their family had boca products for dinner last night and that got to me being a vegetarian. Two of my stupid 'friends' were like what do u eat? gosh i could never not eat meat! and then this is what got me... they say "who cares about the animals, have u ever been to a farm...its happy there. i think what your doing in stupid" i was in such shock that i just walked away and cried in my next class... like i said i had the worst day ever and that was just a tiny part of it.



at the end of this whole ordeal, i look at those two girls with disgust and hate... how can they be my friends? People i thought i loved and cared about just turn on me in nanoseconds... its depressing
VegWithEdge is offline  
#20 Old 03-02-2006, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Medesha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,102
I'm sorry, VWE. It sucks sometimes when people show their true colors. Remember, though, that even the best people can have days when they're thoughtlessly cruel, because they are surprised or feeling guilty or just not thinking. It can be helpful to forgive and try again.



If they keep acting this way, though...
Medesha is offline  
#21 Old 03-02-2006, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular
 
catgurrl978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegWithEdge View Post

I had the worlds WORST day today and some of my stupid omni friends helped to contribute. I go to a Catholic school so as part of lent people dont eat red meats on ash wed. (yesterday) and fridays. Well, one of my friends said their family had boca products for dinner last night and that got to me being a vegetarian. Two of my stupid 'friends' were like what do u eat? gosh i could never not eat meat! and then this is what got me... they say "who cares about the animals, have u ever been to a farm...its happy there. i think what your doing in stupid" i was in such shock that i just walked away and cried in my next class... like i said i had the worst day ever and that was just a tiny part of it.



at the end of this whole ordeal, i look at those two girls with disgust and hate... how can they be my friends? People i thought i loved and cared about just turn on me in nanoseconds... its depressing

They likely have been to small family run farms if they have been to farms at all. Most meat doesn't come from farms such as these, so they don't even know what they're talking about. They are probably just saying these things because they don't want to admit that a part of what they are doing bothers them.

As long as you don't think what you're doing is stupid, you're doing just fine, and everyone here thinks what you are doing is great! ^^
catgurrl978 is offline  
#22 Old 03-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular
 
VegWithEdge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 878
Thanks guys



It was just so out of the blue for them to jump on me today. Its not like i turned vegetarian last night, my one year vegaversary is march 14th! I'm hoping they dont say anything tomorrow im pretty sure they wont but of all the days to bring it up. Thanks again for the support, it really helps
VegWithEdge is offline  
#23 Old 03-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Quincy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 747
I'm talking to my best friend right now...don't get me wrong, she's a nice girl, but she can be so closed-minded sometimes:



Quote:
quincyq03: so if you could choose between meat and nonmeat and both tasted good, what would you pick

her: whichever tasted better? lol

her: lol... not the answer u wanted?

quincyq03: whatever, moving on

her: i dont know ok, lol... i doubt i would ever have the choice..

quincyq03: i don't know how to respond to that

her: ... :-\\

quincyq03: maybe you could clarify

her: I dont know which id pick, i kinda doubt the whole non-meat tasting good thing, so id have to be in the situation

quincyq03: ok well you will be surprised because thats how i was

her: uhhuh... i doubt it



Quincy is offline  
#24 Old 03-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
my new boss: "if the situation was reversed, they'd eat us!"



me: "cows don't eat meat."
GhostUser is offline  
#25 Old 03-03-2006, 02:07 AM
Banned
 
SavedbytheBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 672
VegWithEdge, I'm sorry that happened to you. When you make a lifestyle change that is different from the majority, people don't understand it. It's really strange to them because they don't understand. Some people may think it's stupid while other's think it's cool. People sure show their colors with you start doing the right thing.





Monika
SavedbytheBlood is offline  
#26 Old 03-03-2006, 02:15 AM
Banned
 
SavedbytheBlood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 672
People don't see that they are doing wrong a lot of the time. It's like their eyes are closed to it. They really believe and have told themselves over and over again that something is not rignt that they start to believe it. like for example, take racist people. They have been hating for so long they believe it's right. The skin heads are for white power. No one can tell them anything. That don't get that it's wrong to hate. They don't see it as been wrong. That's how people are. They don't see that your lifestyle can be right.





Monika
SavedbytheBlood is offline  
#27 Old 03-03-2006, 02:57 AM
Veggie Regular
 
wildflower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 212
this thread is a lot sadder than the other one was i feel bad for everyone having a hard time. all i can say is, if supposed 'friends' act this way towards you, and you have to see them day in, day out for a long time to come, just try and stick with it. dont give up your morals and just keep thinking that one day soon you'll meet more open-minded people.



even if they arent veg*ns, there are a lot of open-minded caring people out there. not all meat eaters are not-nice people its just a lifestyle they dont want to give up.
wildflower is offline  
#28 Old 03-03-2006, 03:16 AM
Veggie Regular
 
anthony11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by catgurrl978 View Post

They likely have been to small family run farms if they have been to farms at all.

They sure haven't been to the Nestle place in Carnation, with the cattle standing in mud and excrement, covered with ringworm.
anthony11 is offline  
#29 Old 03-03-2006, 03:17 AM
Veggie Regular
 
anthony11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 4,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

my new boss: "if the situation was reversed, they'd eat us!"

me: "cows don't eat meat."

Not naturally, at least
anthony11 is offline  
#30 Old 03-03-2006, 04:51 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Under "Things that pissed you off in '05" on a website:



Vegans. I know that eating the processed flesh of fur-bearing animals with big eyes is not only going to kill me, it's going to damn my soul to hell as well. I don't need you getting in my face because I have a meatball sandwich in my hands instead of organic hummus on Ry-Krisp. There are countries out there where people wish they had friends so they could eat them, and you're uppity because of the slaugher of cows? Just admit that you have issues with your self-image and quit using "I'm Vegan" as an excuse to keep a nigh-anorexic caloric intake.



GhostUser is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off