VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian Support Forum (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/)
-   -   Stupid things omnivores say... (Version 2.0) (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/11-vegetarian-support-forum/46463-stupid-things-omnivores-say-version-2-0-a.html)

WillowDancer 03-01-2006 07:11 PM

Version 1

I got a new one today. No offence is meant to diabetics...

Them: So do you believe in killing animals for medical research?

Me: No. If you absolutely need animals for research, let them die naturally. Besides, enough people donate organs when they die anyway.

Them: Well, you better stop taking your insulin then. You do know that it was created by testing on animals.

Me:

I don't take insulin.

Them: Then why are you vegetarian?

Me: *staring blankly*

Them: You are probably the only person on the planet who is vegetarian and not diabetic.

AND... end scene!

GhostUser 03-01-2006 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowDancer View Post

Version 1

Me: No. If you absolutely need animals for research, let them die naturally. Besides, enough people donate organs when they die anyway.

Them: Well, you better stop taking your insulin then. You do know that it was created by testing on animals.

Me:

I don't take insulin.

Them: You are probably the only person on the planet who is vegetarian and not diabetic.

AND... end scene!

silly omnis.

megveggie 03-01-2006 07:22 PM

Today:

Me: I'm a vegetarian.

Omni:" No you're not.

Me: Yes I am. When was the last time you saw me eat meat?

Omni: Last week!

Ha ha ha. Sure...

*Sunflower* 03-01-2006 07:59 PM

Omni: Do you eat a lot of salad?

Me: No, not really.

Omni: *wide eyes* Then WHAT do you eat?

Omni: Since you're a vegetarian, do you eat tuna?

Me: No.

Omni: What about crab? Lobster?

Me: No.

The seafood person knew I didn't eat dairy/eggs, but for some reason it didn't click that I don't eat fish, crabs and lobsters (I refer to them in the plural to acknowledge that they are animals and not a dish!).

Medesha 03-01-2006 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowDancer View Post

Version 1

Me:

I don't take insulin.

AND... end scene!

O.o

Jim Gagnepain 03-02-2006 12:31 AM

The one I'm tired of hearing is "How do you get your protein?"

anthony11 03-02-2006 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gagnepain View Post

The one I'm tired of hearing is "How do you get your protein?"

I'll sometimes show such a person a kidney stone fragment and ask them just why I should be loading up on proteins.

Amy SF 03-02-2006 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post

I'll sometimes show such a person a kidney stone fragment and ask them just why I should be loading up on proteins.

What, you keep it in your wallet?

But a great idea!

wildflower 03-02-2006 03:44 AM

i havent had anything recently..i dont come into much contact with people who arent my friends. even at my last job people didnt know i was a vegan.

willowdancer - thats just stupid. i cant believe someone actually said that!

Bluebutterfly05 03-02-2006 08:09 AM

Yesterday my friend, when seeing me eating rice, said "do you know how many leaves died for that?"

But this isn't really stupid, just silly because she didn't really mean it seriously she's just being silly like she always does.

Amy SF 03-02-2006 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebutterfly05 View Post

Yesterday my friend, when seeing me eating rice, said "do you know how many leaves died for that?"

But this isn't really stupid, just silly because she didn't really mean it seriously she's just being silly like she always does.

That would still bug me. Why is it that when WE question omnis on their food choices, we're being "pushy and obnoxious and humorless", but when THEY say something about OUR food choices, it's OK b/c they're just kidding around and being silly?

Medesha 03-02-2006 10:52 AM

Well, we're not always. It depends on the person you're with. When I serve my husband dinner, I sometimes say things like, "Your dead animal flesh, sir," and he just laughs.

anthony11 03-02-2006 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

What, you keep it in your wallet? But a great idea!

No, at home and on the web.

~Wonder 03-02-2006 12:13 PM

I got the "What if you were on a deserted island with nothing but toxic plants and a wild boar?" on Monday. But it wasn't that bad, I did get her to eat half a boca burger at Denny's, which she liked.

~Wonder

meatless 03-02-2006 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

That would still bug me. Why is it that when WE question omnis on their food choices, we're being "pushy and obnoxious and humorless", but when THEY say something about OUR food choices, it's OK b/c they're just kidding around and being silly?

It's especially when you consider that their words come out of ignorance and sometimes even hostility, but our words and choices come from a desire to reduce harm.

UseHerName 03-02-2006 12:36 PM

I like how lots of things get blamed on "not eating meat".

Ex) Me: "My arm hurts".

Them: "See, that's from not eating meat"

Eh?

dopedanny 03-02-2006 01:16 PM

i've been hanging around on too many forums lately. on the one for donnington festival someone put up a suggestion for a vegan food stall. wasnt long before the omni's crashed it - a few of my favourites:

Quote:
MEAATTTTTTTTTTTTT I LOVVVVVEEE MEEAAATTTTT

Rotting Carcus!

why would we need a stall full of vegans?

shut up, carrots gives you aids.

all i say is if you are in a jungle and theres a lion is it gonna say "hey dont eat meat thats bad". is it ****! its gonna rip the utter **** outta you. same with sheep. they are right sneaky *******!

how you think human beings survived from day 1? eating carrots and potatoes? did they ****. every animal/ mammal eats smaller species for millions of years its called survival.

veggies have been aroud for a very short time, veggiwes are off their melts. meat = food. not play toys.

And this was before they suggested a freshly slaughtered animal stall...

froggythefrog 03-02-2006 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseHerName View Post

I like how lots of things get blamed on "not eating meat".

Ex) Me: "My arm hurts".

Them: "See, that's from not eating meat"

Eh?

Nope.... It's because my arm knows how hard I am about to whack you!

VegWithEdge 03-02-2006 02:07 PM

I had the worlds WORST day today and some of my stupid omni friends helped to contribute. I go to a Catholic school so as part of lent people dont eat red meats on ash wed. (yesterday) and fridays. Well, one of my friends said their family had boca products for dinner last night and that got to me being a vegetarian. Two of my stupid 'friends' were like what do u eat? gosh i could never not eat meat! and then this is what got me... they say "who cares about the animals, have u ever been to a farm...its happy there. i think what your doing in stupid" i was in such shock that i just walked away and cried in my next class... like i said i had the worst day ever and that was just a tiny part of it.

at the end of this whole ordeal, i look at those two girls with disgust and hate... how can they be my friends? People i thought i loved and cared about just turn on me in nanoseconds... its depressing

Medesha 03-02-2006 02:34 PM

I'm sorry, VWE. It sucks sometimes when people show their true colors. Remember, though, that even the best people can have days when they're thoughtlessly cruel, because they are surprised or feeling guilty or just not thinking. It can be helpful to forgive and try again.

If they keep acting this way, though...

catgurrl978 03-02-2006 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegWithEdge View Post

I had the worlds WORST day today and some of my stupid omni friends helped to contribute. I go to a Catholic school so as part of lent people dont eat red meats on ash wed. (yesterday) and fridays. Well, one of my friends said their family had boca products for dinner last night and that got to me being a vegetarian. Two of my stupid 'friends' were like what do u eat? gosh i could never not eat meat! and then this is what got me... they say "who cares about the animals, have u ever been to a farm...its happy there. i think what your doing in stupid" i was in such shock that i just walked away and cried in my next class... like i said i had the worst day ever and that was just a tiny part of it.

at the end of this whole ordeal, i look at those two girls with disgust and hate... how can they be my friends? People i thought i loved and cared about just turn on me in nanoseconds... its depressing

They likely have been to small family run farms if they have been to farms at all. Most meat doesn't come from farms such as these, so they don't even know what they're talking about. They are probably just saying these things because they don't want to admit that a part of what they are doing bothers them.

As long as you don't think what you're doing is stupid, you're doing just fine, and everyone here thinks what you are doing is great! ^^

VegWithEdge 03-02-2006 02:41 PM

Thanks guys

It was just so out of the blue for them to jump on me today. Its not like i turned vegetarian last night, my one year vegaversary is march 14th! I'm hoping they dont say anything tomorrow im pretty sure they wont but of all the days to bring it up. Thanks again for the support, it really helps

Quincy 03-02-2006 05:31 PM

I'm talking to my best friend right now...don't get me wrong, she's a nice girl, but she can be so closed-minded sometimes:

Quote:
quincyq03: so if you could choose between meat and nonmeat and both tasted good, what would you pick

her: whichever tasted better? lol

her: lol... not the answer u wanted?

quincyq03: whatever, moving on

her: i dont know ok, lol... i doubt i would ever have the choice..

quincyq03: i don't know how to respond to that

her: ... :-\\

quincyq03: maybe you could clarify

her: I dont know which id pick, i kinda doubt the whole non-meat tasting good thing, so id have to be in the situation

quincyq03: ok well you will be surprised because thats how i was

her: uhhuh... i doubt it

GhostUser 03-02-2006 05:56 PM

my new boss: "if the situation was reversed, they'd eat us!"

me: "cows don't eat meat."

SavedbytheBlood 03-03-2006 03:07 AM

VegWithEdge, I'm sorry that happened to you. When you make a lifestyle change that is different from the majority, people don't understand it. It's really strange to them because they don't understand. Some people may think it's stupid while other's think it's cool. People sure show their colors with you start doing the right thing.

Monika

SavedbytheBlood 03-03-2006 03:15 AM

People don't see that they are doing wrong a lot of the time. It's like their eyes are closed to it. They really believe and have told themselves over and over again that something is not rignt that they start to believe it. like for example, take racist people. They have been hating for so long they believe it's right. The skin heads are for white power. No one can tell them anything. That don't get that it's wrong to hate. They don't see it as been wrong. That's how people are. They don't see that your lifestyle can be right.

Monika

wildflower 03-03-2006 03:57 AM

this thread is a lot sadder than the other one was i feel bad for everyone having a hard time. all i can say is, if supposed 'friends' act this way towards you, and you have to see them day in, day out for a long time to come, just try and stick with it. dont give up your morals and just keep thinking that one day soon you'll meet more open-minded people.

even if they arent veg*ns, there are a lot of open-minded caring people out there. not all meat eaters are not-nice people its just a lifestyle they dont want to give up.

anthony11 03-03-2006 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgurrl978 View Post

They likely have been to small family run farms if they have been to farms at all.

They sure haven't been to the Nestle place in Carnation, with the cattle standing in mud and excrement, covered with ringworm.

anthony11 03-03-2006 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

my new boss: "if the situation was reversed, they'd eat us!"

me: "cows don't eat meat."

Not naturally, at least

GhostUser 03-03-2006 05:51 AM

Under "Things that pissed you off in '05" on a website:

Vegans. I know that eating the processed flesh of fur-bearing animals with big eyes is not only going to kill me, it's going to damn my soul to hell as well. I don't need you getting in my face because I have a meatball sandwich in my hands instead of organic hummus on Ry-Krisp. There are countries out there where people wish they had friends so they could eat them, and you're uppity because of the slaugher of cows? Just admit that you have issues with your self-image and quit using "I'm Vegan" as an excuse to keep a nigh-anorexic caloric intake.