Stupid things omnivores say... (Version 2.0) - Page 99 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

#2941 Old 04-01-2007, 12:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post

Not sure if it fits here cause it wasn't stupid, but my fiancé and his mom had a funny conversation one day and I thought I'd share:

Fiancé: Mom, I've decided to become a vegetarian.

Mom: Really? Why?

Fiancé: Cause I don't agree with the principle.

Mom: What principle?

Fiancé: Of killing animals.

They change subjects, and a few minutes later...

Fiancé: So when are you going to pick up the guitar for me?

Mom: I'm not going.

Fiancé: Why not?

Mom: Cause I don't agree with the principle.

lol.. that's actually p[retty funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2942 Old 04-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I went out to eat with my family at, well, a family restaurant. (Where else would a family go?)

After looking over the menu for a few minutes and finding nothing, I asked the waitress if they had any vegetarian options besides salad or french fries.

She said she was new and she wasn't too familiar with the menu yet, so she'd check with some people in back.

So she comes back and says, "How much of a vegetarian are you?" I say I'm vegan and don't eat any animal products. She has a puzzled look on her face and says "Well, there are vegetarians who eat chicken, and vegetarians who don't eat 'chicken'" (she did finger-quotes for that for some reason) "and there are vegetarians that just don't eat beef. Which one are you?"

I wanted to throw the menu at her.

Or bang my head on the table.

...I ordered the house salad (minus cheese and boiled egg) and a side of fries.

She added, "There are some items on the menu that don't have meat in them, per se, but there is sausage mixed in."

#2943 Old 04-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Beginner

Oh my...on another forum I go to there's a topic about vegetarianism in the debates section...

Me: If not eating meat improves your health, how can eating it in the first place be entirely natural/healthy?

Him: There would be some truth in that, if it wasnt complete bull. Theres not a shread of evidance to support that claim, in fact theres evidence aginst it. Almost none of the the people whom live to over a 100 are vegiterain.there are no benifits.

He also tried to argue that "plants had feelings too".

Him: You mean, like animals with a nevous system do o.0 What exsactly do you think the nevous system is there for, if not to react to the enviroment and forfill the requrments of keeping the organism alive may i ask?

Me: Find me a plant with a brain then.

Him: Sheep dont eat grain, nore do cows..they eat grass. humans cant eat grass.

Him: if we kill of an animal it wasnt strong enough to survive, hence why it got killed off by us. If it was strong enough, we wouldnt have been able to. We are simply a driveing force of evolutonary change, life will adapt to survive what ever is thrown at it. The mal-adapated speciese will die.

Him: I may just point out, being killed/eaten etc, counts as dieing of "natural causes".

Me: So if I shot you, instead of going to jail I could argue that you died of natural causes?

(XD)

Him: Cows/sheep mean we can utalise the land. Vegertainism just wastes it.

Him: LMAO, Plants really dont score well as a protean sources, the quality is so low, youd be eating a few tones worth, to get relative to a single steak with most non GM foods.

^___^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2944 Old 04-02-2007, 01:54 AM
Veggie Regular

wait.. yes, i think.. we have a new one, the 'sausagetarian'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_VeganVixen View Post

She added, "There are some items on the menu that don't have meat in them, per se, but there is sausage mixed in."

#2945 Old 04-02-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaybe View Post

Him: Sheep dont eat grain, nore do cows..they eat grass. humans cant eat grass.

Him: I may just point out, being killed/eaten etc, counts as dieing of "natural causes".

Me: So if I shot you, instead of going to jail I could argue that you died of natural causes?

(XD)

Him: Cows/sheep mean we can utalise the land. Vegertainism just wastes it.

^___^

1) He's obviously never been to a feed store - it's all freaking grain!!!

2) LMAO!!

3) If utilizing the land means cutting down the rainforests, etc. then, by all means . . .I'd rather "waste" the land by growing broccoli.

People are seriously dumb sometimes.
#2946 Old 04-02-2007, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_VeganVixen View Post

After looking over the menu for a few minutes and finding nothing, I asked the waitress if they had any vegetarian options besides salad or french fries.

She said she was new and she wasn't too familiar with the menu yet, so she'd check with some people in back.

So she comes back and says, "How much of a vegetarian are you?" I say I'm vegan and don't eat any animal products. She has a puzzled look on her face and says "Well, there are vegetarians who eat chicken, and vegetarians who don't eat 'chicken'" (she did finger-quotes for that for some reason) "and there are vegetarians that just don't eat beef. Which one are you?"

I wanted to throw the menu at her.

Or bang my head on the table.

...I ordered the house salad (minus cheese and boiled egg) and a side of fries.

My gosh. . .

I had my own. . .weird omni conversation the other day. I was in McDonalds the other day (I normaly don't eat there, but when your mom drops you off and drives away. . .) And I asked what their vegan options were. The guy behind the counter asked "What's vegan?"

Me: Vegan is someone that does not eat meat, dairy, or any animal by-products.

Him: Oh. Well in that case our "vegan options" are anything on the menu. I'm sure it's all plastic anyway. This is Mcdonalds.

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or just order.
#2947 Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginVegan View Post

My gosh. . .

I had my own. . .weird omni conversation the other day. I was in McDonalds the other day (I normaly don't eat there, but when your mom drops you off and drives away. . .) And I asked what their vegan options were. The guy behind the counter asked "What's vegan?"

Me: Vegan is someone that does not eat meat, dairy, or any animal by-products.

Him: Oh. Well in that case our "vegan options" are anything on the menu. I'm sure it's all plastic anyway. This is Mcdonalds.

I wasn't sure whether to laugh or just order.

Just a factoid, if you didn't know, but their fries have "beef flavoring".
#2948 Old 04-02-2007, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

Oh for-

Next thing you know their drinks will be all gravy, 'Vegetarian options' will be labelled 'Dumbarse options', with them spitting on the bun everytime you order one, and the entire mcdonalds complex will be made out of parts of animals.

Great job Mcdonalds. You might as well rename your restaurant 'Slaughter R Us'.
#2949 Old 04-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_possum View Post

My friend: You are only allowed to eat 2 serves of fruit and five serves of veggies a day, and no more than that.

Me: Why is that?

My friend: Because weight watchers told me it makes you put on weight if you eat more.

Me: People don't get fat eating fruit and veggies. Besides, what would I eat all day as a veggie?

My friend: Weight watchers says you can't eat more. It makes you overweight.

Me: But look at me, I'm not fat.

My friend: We are not allowed, ok?

I have a friend who lost nearly 100 pounds on the Weight Watchers plan. He ate only Taco Bell the entire time and just stayed below his points limit.

Weight Watchers doesn't really care what you eat as long as you stay below your points. In fact they do have guidelines that suggest 2 servings of dairy, 2 tsp of olive or canola oil, and at LEAST 5 fruits and veggies a day.
#2950 Old 04-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

my husband and i were eating dinner while out on a road trip over the weekend and a guy and girl got seated next to us. one of the first things they talked about was whether the other was a carnivore. the girl then goes on to say that her mom was vegetarian for a while, and that she does it once in a while to cleanse out her system. but it's not healthy to live like that. the guy goes on to say that it's too hard to think about where to get all your protein, combining them, etc.

my husband (who's omni) and i gave each other a look and kept eating. afterwards, hubby complemented me on not commenting on their discussion. it was pretty obvious that they were on their first date, and i didn't want to weird them out by being a "veg nazi" as hubby put it. but it's frustrating that meat propaganda is so permeating that everyone thinks that you need so much protein and it's such an effort to be veg*n.

#2951 Old 04-02-2007, 04:43 PM
Beginner

I got the "what if it was just a LITTLE piece of chicken??" the other day haha

oh, and the "you just haven't had the RIGHT kind of meat.. have you ever eaten Fried Chicken?" :P
#2952 Old 04-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nori_roll View Post

I got the "what if it was just a LITTLE piece of chicken??" the other day haha

oh, and the "you just haven't had the RIGHT kind of meat.. have you ever eaten Fried Chicken?" :P

And once again, the correct response to these is "Tell that to the chicken".

--Fromper

#2953 Old 04-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nori_roll View Post

This would probably not get desired results, but: "Did you hear me say even once that I was vegetarian because I did not like the taste of meat?"
#2954 Old 04-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

And dairy. And wheat.. two foods that a LOT of people are allergic to, and McD's didn't disclose this information until recently. If you think being vegan and being lied to about beef flavoring/dairy is bad, try having Celiac disease and being lied to about wheat in a food.
#2955 Old 04-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

And dairy. And wheat.. two foods that a LOT of people are allergic to, and McD's didn't disclose this information until recently. If you think being vegan and being lied to about beef flavoring/dairy is bad, try having Celiac disease and being lied to about wheat in a food.

i knew that the fries they make there had beef flavoring and are fried in hydrogenated oils, but they have dairy AND wheat in them LOL. i guess its a good thing i never ate fast food anyway
#2956 Old 04-02-2007, 08:34 PM

My co-worker is a complete jerk, and liked to harrass me when he found that I am vegetarian. Once he found out that he couldn't rattle my cage, he quit.

I was unloading a box of chips, and he was at the cash register.

Him: What do you have there?

Me: Chips.

Him: What kind of chips?

Me: Bacon and Cheddar chips.

Him: Would you eat that?

Me: It depends if it really has bacon or meat in it or not.

Him: Would you eat a hot dog?

Me: No.

Him: Would you eat a hamburguer?

Him: For a hundred dollars?

Him: Would you eat a bowl of chicken noodle soup?

Him: Even if I picked out the chunks for you?

Him: Why?

Me: The broth.

Him: Thats crazy! Broth isn't meat!

Once in my early days of trying to be vegetarian, I wasn't paying enough attention and ate a rice crisy treat while at lunch at school. I was chatting with my friends when it occured to me that rice crispy treats had marshmellows in them, which aren't vegetarian. I looked at the wrapper and confirmed that, and shared my concern with my friends. One of them shook her head, rolled her eyes, and informed me that if I tried to live my life like that, I wouldn't be able to eat anything, and I would die.
#2957 Old 04-03-2007, 03:24 AM

Yeah, I knew this guy who died flat on his face because he couldn't get his big mac on time...

Seriously skysostarry, I know what it's like to have had friends like that. I usually asked them how eating lumps of lard and fat would increase my life expectancy.
#2958 Old 04-03-2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart ZX View Post

Seriously skysostarry, I know what it's like to have had friends like that. I usually asked them how eating lumps of lard and fat would increase my life expectancy.

If I defend vegetarianism in the least, I am suddenly 'forcing my opinion' on them and 'trying to get them to convert,' according to them.

I usually say something sarcastic like, 'Well I guess I'm going to find out the hard way then, oh well. How much do you think I should leave you in my will?'
#2959 Old 04-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

From a friend of mine after I had asked if her doc had tested her B12 levels (she's been having some chronic problems lately and had just had blood work done to try to pinpoint the problem): "Oh, I don't have to worry about my B12. I eat meat."

Say it with me, people:

#2960 Old 04-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Ive just come home from university for easter, i got home yesterday.

anyhoo i had soemthign with tofu in for lunch, and left the other half in the fridge to eat later, floating in water.

mum: hahahahaha eww it looks like a science experiment, or like it was growing on something.

err.... the woman who lives off chicken and prawns thinks its gross taht something looks like it was growing O_o i asked her what the hell chicken breasts were then and she laughed and said "i guess"

then my sister decided it looked like "an anaemic turd"

also!

sister (who happens to be my twin, our birthday is next friday): Im buying a birthday cake, because noone will eat a vegan one

err why not

its not like cakes taste of egg and im killing the flavour O_o

i made fairy cakes today and she liked them HAH
#2961 Old 04-04-2007, 08:42 PM

I had one the other day... Ok, well like I might've said before, I don't usually tell people that i'm vegetarian unless they ask because people usually harrass me about it.

Well I was in history class and the teacher was talking about the things that different religions couldn't eat. He was asking the class about what kinds of meats the class liked and how they would feel if they couldn't eat them. After a while of naming different meats, he asked the class if they liked bacon, and EVERYONE raised their hands except me.

Well he turned toward me and was like, "You don't like bacon?!" and i told him quietly that I was vegetarian. I was trying to be quiet about it but he slammed his hands on my desk and said "YES well vegetarians don't usually eat bacon either!" and suddenly, everyone started whispering 'She's vegetarian?' 'OMG I would die without meat!!' 'She doesn't look vegetarian!' 'She's weird' and suddenly I was like, the outcast of the class.

I felt that it really wasn't nessesary to judge me because I don't eat meat.
#2962 Old 04-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Beginner

I swear, when vegetarians say they don't eat meat, some omnis act like they said they don't eat food period. Gimme a break.
#2963 Old 04-04-2007, 08:53 PM

I know! Its not like I'm taking away their food. They shouldn't care about what I eat ESPECIALLY since I don't even know them! lol but there are other veg*ns at my school and I usually talk to them so I'm not all alone ^_^
#2964 Old 04-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

"'She doesn't look vegetarian!' 'She's weird' and suddenly I was like, the outcast of the class.

I felt that it really wasn't nessesary to judge me because I don't eat meat."

I'll bet you ANYTHING there was at least one person in that classroom secretly admiring your vegetarianism (or outcast-ness or whatever you'd like to call it).

(ps, I like your signature, I believe Lily Tomlin said that...and she rocks)
#2965 Old 04-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

At lunch I sat with a friend of mine and two other girls I don't know very well. They asked why I was just eating matzo and peanut butter for lunch if I wasn't jewish and my friend replied "Oh, she's vegan" (which isn't why, I just happen to love matzo and peanut butter) At which I got the common responses "I could never do that, I love meat, so you can't eat ___?". They also asked "So all you eat is vegetables?!" and, this is the best, "Can you eat salt?" They also tried to tell me milking the cows doesn't hurt them, after I explained why it does they shut up
#2966 Old 04-06-2007, 05:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Ive just come home from university for easter, i got home yesterday.

anyhoo i had soemthign with tofu in for lunch, and left the other half in the fridge to eat later, floating in water.

mum: hahahahaha eww it looks like a science experiment, or like it was growing on something.

err.... the woman who lives off chicken and prawns thinks its gross taht something looks like it was growing O_o i asked her what the hell chicken breasts were then and she laughed and said "i guess"

then my sister decided it looked like "an anaemic turd"

also!

sister (who happens to be my twin, our birthday is next friday): Im buying a birthday cake, because noone will eat a vegan one

err why not

its not like cakes taste of egg and im killing the flavour O_o

i made fairy cakes today and she liked them HAH

tofu/ chicken looks like an anaemic turd...
#2967 Old 04-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrWorstNitemare View Post

I had one the other day... Ok, well like I might've said before, I don't usually tell people that i'm vegetarian unless they ask because people usually harrass me about it.

Well I was in history class and the teacher was talking about the things that different religions couldn't eat. He was asking the class about what kinds of meats the class liked and how they would feel if they couldn't eat them. After a while of naming different meats, he asked the class if they liked bacon, and EVERYONE raised their hands except me.

Well he turned toward me and was like, "You don't like bacon?!" and i told him quietly that I was vegetarian. I was trying to be quiet about it but he slammed his hands on my desk and said "YES well vegetarians don't usually eat bacon either!" and suddenly, everyone started whispering 'She's vegetarian?' 'OMG I would die without meat!!' 'She doesn't look vegetarian!' 'She's weird' and suddenly I was like, the outcast of the class.

Aww hun I wish you could be proud about your morals. You are doing a great thing, you don't have to be preachy but don't be shy.
#2968 Old 04-08-2007, 03:07 PM

I was at a coffee shop in the mall and had ordered a latte with soymilk. The woman near me saw them pouring up the soymilk. She looked like she was going to vomit - pretty comical.

She turned to me and said "You do realize that you are giving yourself cancer and ruining your latte? That's just disgusting!"

I just told her that I'd rather drink soy over the animal equivalent of breastmilk. *shudder*

(It was a freaking good coffee - btw!)
#2969 Old 04-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Today my family (mum/dad/sister) refused to believe that some beer is made using fish bladders and insisted it was an urban legend. til i went home and found my dads "300 beers before you die" book and it was in that =D

then later on my mum refused to admit that they use cochineal beetles - and insisted it was all artificial these days.

and my sister (the 'vegetarian' who eats fish and gelatine) wouldnt believe me that haribos werent vegetarian.

gragh take me back to uni already!
#2970 Old 04-08-2007, 07:40 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrWorstNitemare View Post

I don't know why people feel it is so weird to give up meat. I didn't have any problem with it, and if it's that hard just get the meat replacement. I personally do not miss hot dogs. I feel like I'll probably get a craving for one at the next family barbeque but that's why I have tofu dogs in the freezer!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page