Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#2881 Old 03-20-2007, 06:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

My doctor while we were in Thursday.

"If you're vegan because you don't like the taste of meat, fine. If you're a vegan for ethics then you should know that more gophers get their heads lopped off by farmers than anything."

What does farmers killing gophers [accident or not] have to do with veganism?

First of all, Seb is right. Second of all, who is your doctor to say this? I hate it when doctors feel like they need to judge your personal moral decisions. It's completely disrespectful, doesn't foster a healthy doctor/patient relationship, and is none of his business. If you have a health issue related to your diet, then it is up to the doctor to either help you with that, or to refer you to a dietitian (preferably the latter). Otherwise, the doctor really needs to butt out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2882 Old 03-20-2007, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post

First of all, Seb is right. Second of all, who is your doctor to say this? I hate it when doctors feel like they need to judge your personal moral decisions. It's completely disrespectful, doesn't foster a healthy doctor/patient relationship, and is none of his business. If you have a health issue related to your diet, then it is up to the doctor to either help you with that, or to refer you to a dietitian (preferably the latter). Otherwise, the doctor really needs to butt out.

Agreed. I'm lucky, my doctor remained completely neutral, and asked that I see a nutritionist to make sure I was getting all of my nutrients.
#2883 Old 03-20-2007, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I was telling a friend that I wanted to start making my own face cleanser from apples, cucumbers, and tomatoes (a recipe from How it All Vegan), and she said "That sounds really, really gross."

Right. Way more disgusting than the ten million chemicals and animal products in commercial face wash...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2884 Old 03-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandcuffedAngel View Post

My doctor while we were in Thursday.

"If you're vegan because you don't like the taste of meat, fine. If you're a vegan for ethics then you should know that more gophers get their heads lopped off by farmers than anything."

What does farmers killing gophers [accident or not] have to do with veganism?

You should have looked him straight in the eye and said:

"you know, doc. If you're a doctor because you like money and prestige, fine, but if you're a doctor because you think you want to help people then you should know that medical mistakes kill hundreds of thousands of people every year."

That'd shut him up in a heartbeat.
#2885 Old 03-20-2007, 11:45 AM

Mum (while reading my school report): You know Annie this is excellent but you really should eat meat otherwise youll lose all your brains.

#2886 Old 03-20-2007, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

You should have looked him straight in the eye and said:

"you know, doc. If you're a doctor because you like money and prestige, fine, but if you're a doctor because you think you want to help people then you should know that medical mistakes kill hundreds of thousands of people every year."

That'd shut him up in a heartbeat.

Oh.. My.. Gosh... Oh.. My.. Gosh.... I can't stop laughing.... that is the perfect response! I wish I was that witty...
#2887 Old 03-20-2007, 08:00 PM

So at my high school, I guess the enviormental club is trying to help out some third war country in Africa. I'm like, that's pretty cool, I'm going to donate some money when they come around. So they finally get to my homeroom class and he asks the class "Would anyone want to donate money to help get some cows and llamas?" None of us knew if he was kidding or not so someone asked and he explained that they were going to buy cows and llamas and send them to Africa (or somewhere) to people who needed them for milk.

I'm like WTF? My friend is about to donate a dollar and I actually reach over as he is about to put it in the envelope and snatch the dollar away. I threw it back at him (not like "crazy veg* person", but kind of like "just kidding around, but seriously WTF?" person. ) So anyways, I go into this extremely long talk into why they shouldn't do that, because there are so many other things that they could help out these people with that doesn't involve sacrificing animals lives. It was kinda cool because the people sitting around me were actually listening. I don't think that they were listening because they agreed with me, more so that they agreed that the whole idea was a little wacky .
#2888 Old 03-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by X_x_veg View Post

None of us knew if he was kidding or not so someone asked and he explained that they were going to buy cows and llamas and send them to Africa (or somewhere) to people who needed them for milk.

Considering that the people are already starving without cattle and llamas(?!) to feed and that most Africans are lactose intolerant, this has to be one of the dumbest "solutions" to starvation short of sending them "I'm sorry that you're dying of kwashiorkor" Hallmark cards.

Of course, if you object, they'll just think it's because you're a crazy AR loony.
#2889 Old 03-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I got this today: "No one eats chicken FLESH. Most people prefer chicken MEAT. I know there probably isn't a difference to you, but I felt I needed to mention it."

I'd like to know what exactly he thought chicken meat is if it's not flesh?

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#2890 Old 03-22-2007, 07:51 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by manics_fan View Post

I got this today: "No one eats chicken FLESH. Most people prefer chicken MEAT. I know there probably isn't a difference to you, but I felt I needed to mention it."

I'd like to know what exactly he thought chicken meat is if it's not flesh?

He was probably saying skin is flesh, while the muscle is the meat. That's what I used to think. And I NEVER ate chicken skin. GROSS.
#2891 Old 03-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

The definition of meat IS the FLESH of an animal used for food. Tell them to use a dictionary.
#2892 Old 03-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Beginner

Oh, I just loved the one I got today.

Every day I eat lunch with my omnivore friend who brings up my veganism at least twice a day. It's not in a mean way or anything, just she thinks that it's weird, but she's nice about it. Today for lunch I brought in some homemade baked french fries for her. She and I were sitting together and I leaned over and ate a french fry. And then another.

Friend: What are you doing? *Looks horrified.*

Me: ... Eating a french fry.

Friend: You're vegan! You can't eat that! (I've long since given up on trying to explain the diference between "can't" and "choose not to" to her. )

Me: Um....... why?

Friend: Because those are made with potato... oh.

#2893 Old 03-22-2007, 03:36 PM

How about......

Aren't your shoes leather?

What do you think about deer overpopulation?

But you eat chicken, right?

Don't the vegetables hurt when you cut them?

But how do you know?

What if they really feel pain?

How do you know?
#2894 Old 03-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michey View Post

Every day I eat lunch with my omnivore friend who brings up my veganism at least twice a day. It's not in a mean way or anything, just she thinks that it's weird, but she's nice about it. Today for lunch I brought in some homemade baked french fries for her. She and I were sitting together and I leaned over and ate a french fry. And then another.

Friend: You're vegan! You can't eat that! (I've long since given up on trying to explain the diference between "can't" and "choose not to" to her. )

I just read this to my 10 year old daughter(who btw is still omni), and looked at me with an astounded look on her face.
#2895 Old 03-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michey View Post

Lol, that's funny.
#2896 Old 03-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Burger King's ads told us that in order to be a macho male you need to eat meat. Now, Quizno's new ads are saying that you need meat to be womanly.

A new ad shows two young women biting into some kind of BBQ rib sub. "It's not lacking any meat! That's what real women need!" says one, and then gives the goofiest laugh imaginable.

So there you go. If you want to be a manly real woman, you better eat COWS and PIGS right now!

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#2897 Old 03-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I noticed that. It means we're doing a pretty darn good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Burger King's ads told us that in order to be a macho male you need to eat meat. Now, Quizno's new ads are saying that you need meat to be womanly.

A new ad shows two young women biting into some kind of BBQ rib sub. "It's not lacking any meat! That's what real women need!" says one, and then gives the goofiest laugh imaginable.

So there you go. If you want to be a manly real woman, you better eat COWS and PIGS right now!

#2898 Old 03-22-2007, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

i found that to be a very odd advertising angle myself
#2899 Old 03-24-2007, 01:31 AM

My friend: You are only allowed to eat 2 serves of fruit and five serves of veggies a day, and no more than that.

Me: Why is that?

My friend: Because weight watchers told me it makes you put on weight if you eat more.

Me: People don't get fat eating fruit and veggies. Besides, what would I eat all day as a veggie?

My friend: Weight watchers says you can't eat more. It makes you overweight.

Me: But look at me, I'm not fat.

My friend: We are not allowed, ok?
#2900 Old 03-24-2007, 02:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_possum View Post

My friend: You are only allowed to eat 2 serves of fruit and five serves of veggies a day, and no more than that.

My friend: Because weight watchers told me it makes you put on weight if you eat more.

Me: People don't get fat eating fruit and veggies. Besides, what would I eat all day as a veggie?

Lol, as if an extra forty calories is going to lead to weight gain. And what about celery? Celery has negative calories because it takes more energy to digest it then celery has in the first place.
#2901 Old 03-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sorry, but your friend is dead wrong. You'd have to eat a LOT of fruit and veggies to gain any significant weight from them (unless you're eating a lot of avocados!). There are so many important substances in fruits & veggies that protect us from disease that we should be eating 5-10 servings a day.

But.. I think you already knew that
#2902 Old 03-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Your friend is obviously not taking overall consumption into account here. Also, the sky is blue.
#2903 Old 03-24-2007, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular

This is more funny than stupid, but last night I was at a potluck, and of course it came out that I'm vegan because I wasn't eating anything except the stuff that I brought, and one girl asked me, "Are you vegan, like, all the time?" If I wasn't vegan all the time I wouldn't be vegan at all...
#2904 Old 03-26-2007, 03:30 PM

I have an omni friend who takes joy in trying to stick meat in my mouth.

And also today I was sitting at lunch this guy was flinging jello around and

Me: ewww jello!

Omni: What is wrong with jello

Me; It is make of cow hoofs

Omni: No its not.

Me: yes it is, why do you think I dont eat it?

Omni: cause you are a stupid ginger vegetarian.

Me:What do you think jello is made of then?

Omni: ............Not cow hoofs.

Jello flinging omni(who has been listinging to the whole conversation):Are you a vegetarian?
#2905 Old 03-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperVegChick View Post

I have an omni friend who takes joy in trying to stick meat in my mouth.

And also today I was sitting at lunch this guy was flinging jello around and

Me: ewww jello!

Omni: What is wrong with jello

Me; It is make of cow hoofs

Omni: No its not.

Me: yes it is, why do you think I dont eat it?

Omni: cause you are a stupid ginger vegetarian.

Me:What do you think jello is made of then?

Omni: ............Not cow hoofs.

Jello flinging omni(who has been listinging to the whole conversation):Are you a vegetarian?

I imagine you having immense wells of patience. I would never call someone who did that to me a friend.
#2906 Old 03-26-2007, 04:33 PM
Beginner

Ugh. I just had this conversation with my 11-year-old sister.

Her: It sucks that you have to make your own lunch.

Me: It doesn't matter to me.

Her: *takes container of cooked ground beef out of the fridge*

Me: *doesn't comment on it*

Her: Mmmm, this is sooooo good. *opens mouth and chews the meat* I bet you want someeee.

Me: No, it's disgusting.

Her: You're so stupid.

Me: Why, because I don't want to eat the flesh off of an animal?

Her: Yes, that's what cows are made for.

Me: Who's to say that's what they're made for?

Her: What else are they for?

Later on...

Me: If you read anything online about it, you'd chose to stop eating meat.

Her: So that's why I'm not going to read anything.

Me: So you want to be ignorant?

Her: Yep. And by the way, you're not a vegetarian if you drink milk.

Me: *gives up*
#2907 Old 03-26-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Actually, if you eat too much of certian fruits and veggies, you can die of STARVATION!!! However, you would have to eat A LOT
#2908 Old 03-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow. I didn't know that. which ones?
#2909 Old 03-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaybe View Post

Her: Mmmm, this is sooooo good. *opens mouth and chews the meat* I bet you want someeee.

Later on...

To many, ignorance is bliss... sad really!
#2910 Old 03-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaybe View Post

Later on...

Reminds me of the conversation I had awhile ago with my sister. I felt like yelling at her, and smacking her across the face.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page