Stupid things omnivores say... (Version 2.0) - Page 95 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#2821 Old 03-09-2007, 11:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw salad dressing in the fridge today! That must be proof for non-believers of salad dressing that salad dressing does in fact exist, and can indeed liven up a bland salad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2822 Old 03-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm.... I think I'm still skeptical about this 'salad dressing' thing. my college caf has this strange-looking liquid near the salad bar though.... could that be it?
#2823 Old 03-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheesaidshe View Post

sister to mutual friend: "Soy milk reminds me of breastmilk" (enter gagging noises here)

Me: Y'know what's weird about that? Is that milk IS breastmilk, from another species! (I've posted about this before, and just goes to show how my sister ALWAYS brings up the point that soy milk reminds her of breastmilk and grosses her out, so I decided to say something this time).

Sister: Yeah, but it's not milk from a human, it's from a cow...

Me: Why is that better? Have you ever heard of Pus Points?

Sister: Don't bring up gross stuff, do you want me to upset you and talk to you about how the animals are killed?!

Me: (wondering why this would be a threat to ME, a vegan!) Ummm, you're not going to tell me anything I don't know, since my research of how they're killed is the main reason I became a vegan...

Sister: Oh boy, you're not going to become one of those preachy people now, are you?

She was the one who brought it up! And later I asked myself, why "one of those" was an insult to me? Why shouldn't I be worked up over something I feel passionate about? Never mind the fact that I usually try not to bring it up in the first place, for this reason.

UGgh!

I absolutely hate when conversations get like that. It seems like there's almost no way to get out of it, and if you keep talking about it, then you're preachy - even though they brought it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2824 Old 03-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseHerName View Post

I absolutely hate when conversations get like that. It seems like there's almost no way to get out of it, and if you keep talking about it, then you're preachy - even though they brought it up.

As I said in an earlier post, the key there is to point out to them that they started the conversation.

--Fromper

#2825 Old 03-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Not as much "stupid", but "sad"....young adults whose parents are suffering from serious health conditions brought on by bad dietary habits...and the young adults oblivously go on living at McDonald's and being sedentary...

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#2826 Old 03-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I work at a cafe that serves frankly discusting food, and it kills me everytime a parent orders hotdog and chips, or chicken nuggets, for their child, some as young as two. I just want to hit them over the head with my bottle of cleaning spray, but alas, I need the money.

Might be leaving in a couple of months though, so I'll consider doing it on my last shift and then proceed to throw salad at everyone.
#2827 Old 03-10-2007, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Last weekend I saw an obese woman at the grocery store directing her toddler to grab a bag of chips.

#2828 Old 03-10-2007, 09:30 PM

could someone explain why omnis always think that V's are diabetic? I don't know that much about diabetes, so it would be nice to clear that up.

2 from my Jewish diabetic friend(no attempt to offend anyone or deface the kosher way of cooking)

1.) Me: Yeah, I'm slowly trying to be a veg*n. It's hard living with an omni family to go strict veg.

Her: I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat a carrot.

2.) Her: So I was talking to a Vegan the other day about how I only eat kosher meats. Well she went off telling me all these horrible slaughterhouse stories, so I explained that kosher killings are painless.

Me: How do you know, did you ask?

Her: Huh?

Me: The cow. Did you ask it if it hurt?

Her:
#2829 Old 03-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnychik View Post

Her: I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to eat a carrot.

Me: You did that all on your own?
#2830 Old 03-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootchick View Post

Also, I bought some toothpaste at the health food store. I was feeling good about it because the brand I got had no animal ingredients in it and it was cruelty-free. My dad spies it in the bathroom and yells out, "Oh, god, it's tree tea oil toothpaste! I bet it's made from frog piss." Then, he walks into the living room with his toothbrush in his mouth using the toothpaste and says again, "It's made with frog piss."

I actually laughed out loud...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaCeltarum View Post

And also that honey is bee vomit, the next time he has tea...

No, it's not. However, it IS an animal product.
#2831 Old 03-10-2007, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaCeltarum View Post

And also that honey is bee vomit, the next time he has tea...

No, it's not. However, it IS an animal product.

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_040.html
#2832 Old 03-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Eh, a debate isn't worth it. I am going to leave my trust to more reputable sources, thanks.
#2833 Old 03-10-2007, 11:03 PM

It's not difficult to search around and find other sources, if that particular one doesn't suit you.
#2834 Old 03-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Beginner

I can't help giggling at all the posts about people who think cotton comes from sheep. Cotton is one of my state's main crops and it's almost impossible to drive through a rural area without seeing a cotton field or two, so even the hardcore "cook everything with lard" carnivores around here would know better than to say that.

But then again, there's some pretty stupid people out there.
#2835 Old 03-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

My god.

I went to a friends birthday party at the weekend and met the most AWFUL girl. everyone hates her apparently but has to talk to her because shes someones girlfriend. i'll start off saying it was a wing theme fancy dress and i was a ladybird with wings on. anyhoo!

earlier in the night i was outside making er, my friend a fairy wand out of a plastic fork, glitter and pipecleaners (hah) doing it outside because of the glitter... and this girl and her boyfriend were sitting on the other side of the garden talking. i hear "im not sure thatd taste good" and think although im currently tipping glue over a fork theyre probably not talking to me. then i hear "*****" so er, yes they were. i finish me fork pretending i didnt hear anything at all... then an hour or so later im waiting for the toilet and as soon as the door opens she barges past in front of me. me and my friend are like =0 rude, i said what she said earlier and my friend says she was rude to her too.

ok back to the omnivore bit.

im one of these people who doesnt shove my beliefs in your face. everyone i know eats meat, i'll happily sit in a resteraunt with them and not say anyting. its not my place. for this party i was warned thered probably be no food for me, so i bought my own. some tortillas+salsa, breadsticks+hummus dip pots, and spring rolls. so something everyone can eat like im not excluding myself. my friends know of my veganism but if someone offered me somthing id just say no thanks. somehow, ***** girl got hold of it. (probably because my friends i havent seen for a while, so like to ask if like every single thing in the house i can eat haha bless them)

she asks me if im "the vegan" i say yeah. she tells me she was vegan for seven years. i ask why shes not any more. she said she realised it was ****ing stupid and meat tasted good. i say 'oh ok' and go to walk off... but she then asks me if ive ever killed a rabbit. suprisingly enough i say no. she tells me theres no way i can be vegan if i havent ever kiled and skinned a rabbit because its hypocritical (err of what?). i say ive no desire to ever do that. she then lectures me about how unvegan i am... grabs my wings (see it was neccesary!) and says "these arent vegan!" i said how did she know that. she just kept telling me how cruel they were and how hypocritical i was for wearing them. then had a go at me for dying my hair, because hair dye isnt vegan. i say yes it is, its stargazer theyre all vegan. she says no only directions are. i say funny that, on the website it says theyre vegan i trust thier website. so basically she picks apart everything about me saying what a ****ty vegan i am. whatever i say she just keeps going! my friend was arguing with me too (who is a hypocrite for eating meat even though shes never skinned a rabbit, apparently... jaysus someone likes skinning rabbits). i wish i was sober i couldve been nasty to her then. hah

..... later i found out unsuprisingly shes a compulsive liar. hah. she told someone else she "knew all about womens problems because she has seven sisters" like the number seven eh?

also worth noting she was wearing leather trousers. mmmmm binbag chic!
#2836 Old 03-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

pirate ferret...that is not even just stupid it's just REALLY RUDE. Some people!
#2837 Old 03-11-2007, 01:41 PM

I'm talking to a friend and we haven't really talked since I became a vegan and I told him that I wasand he said whats that I told him that I woudn't eat meat eggs or dairy.

He said: What do you have water?

It was a joke but still stupid...
#2838 Old 03-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Beginner

We were in the hospital this weekend because the baby got the rotavirus. He's fine now, but anyway...we get all settled and a nurse comes in:

nurse: We will be providing you with guest trays at meal times from the cafeteria, is there anything that you don't eat?

me: Thanks! I don't eat meat or artificial sweetener.

nurse: *short pause* so you don't eat bacon?

me: (thinking) oh, right of course, bacon...I avoid most meat except for the super fatty disgusting stuff - lol of course I didn't say that.

So, I basically lived off of side dishes and stuff from the vending machines.

Then, the kicker...for the last meal I recieved a tuna fish sandwich and macaroni salad with bacon in it.

I went ahead and ate the macaroni salad, because I was absolutely starving and there was maybe 5 tiny pieces of bacon in it. I didn't want to be rude or anything. *sigh*
#2839 Old 03-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

As a consolation, they were probably jarred "bacon bits" and not real bacon. Most "bacon bits" on the shelf (the ones that look like little teeny freeze-dried bits) are actually vegetarian -- made of soy protein nuggets.

But it was still rude to give it to you!
#2840 Old 03-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

As a consolation, they were probably jarred "bacon bits" and not real bacon. Most "bacon bits" on the shelf (the ones that look like little teeny freeze-dried bits) are actually vegetarian -- made of soy protein nuggets.

Woot I feel special because I knew that!
#2841 Old 03-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

But it was still rude to give it to you!

Yeah, I'd be pretty shocked if a hospital served something as unhealthy as bacon to anybody. Personally, I was quite happy to discover that bacon bits are vegan.

--Fromper

#2842 Old 03-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually, I've seen some of the very worst foods served at hospitals. Burgers. Chips. Fried chicken. Meat-based soups which the eaters complained were so salty they tasted like brine. Doughnuts. Sausage.

But you're right, the bacon bits were probably the soy "Bacos" variety, as those are cheaper than the real dried bacon pieces.

#2843 Old 03-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Beginner

That's what I was hoping...that they were fake, but they were real; I saw a bit of fat along the edge of one peice. I assume the kitchen bought into the "fish isn't a meat" thing. LOL
#2844 Old 03-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Talking to my dad, after just recently having my hair dyed blonde..

Him: "You know, you should start eating meat again. It has vitamin G"

Me: "Vitamin G? What's that?"

Him: "...vitamin Hair Growth" (laugh)

Me: "Greaaat. So I'll have high cholestorol, high body fat, oily skin, but I'll have great hair"

Haha. I had the last laugh. :]
#2845 Old 03-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Last week when I was grocery shopping, the cashier picked up a flyer and told me they were having a meat sale. No thanks, I told her. I'm a vegetarian, I said. She still tried to give me the flyer, saying I could give it to one of my friends.

What? It is so not my job to advertise for them, even if I didn't have ethical reasons for my vegetarianism.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#2846 Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

My god.

I went to a friends birthday party at the weekend and met the most AWFUL girl. everyone hates her apparently but has to talk to her because shes someones girlfriend. i'll start off saying it was a wing theme fancy dress and i was a ladybird with wings on. anyhoo!

earlier in the night i was outside making er, my friend a fairy wand out of a plastic fork, glitter and pipecleaners (hah) doing it outside because of the glitter... and this girl and her boyfriend were sitting on the other side of the garden talking. i hear "im not sure thatd taste good" and think although im currently tipping glue over a fork theyre probably not talking to me. then i hear "*****" so er, yes they were. i finish me fork pretending i didnt hear anything at all... then an hour or so later im waiting for the toilet and as soon as the door opens she barges past in front of me. me and my friend are like =0 rude, i said what she said earlier and my friend says she was rude to her too.

ok back to the omnivore bit.

im one of these people who doesnt shove my beliefs in your face. everyone i know eats meat, i'll happily sit in a resteraunt with them and not say anyting. its not my place. for this party i was warned thered probably be no food for me, so i bought my own. some tortillas+salsa, breadsticks+hummus dip pots, and spring rolls. so something everyone can eat like im not excluding myself. my friends know of my veganism but if someone offered me somthing id just say no thanks. somehow, ***** girl got hold of it. (probably because my friends i havent seen for a while, so like to ask if like every single thing in the house i can eat haha bless them)

she asks me if im "the vegan" i say yeah. she tells me she was vegan for seven years. i ask why shes not any more. she said she realised it was f**king stupid and meat tasted good. i say 'oh ok' and go to walk off... but she then asks me if ive ever killed a rabbit. suprisingly enough i say no. she tells me theres no way i can be vegan if i havent ever kiled and skinned a rabbit because its hypocritical (err of what?). i say ive no desire to ever do that. she then lectures me about how unvegan i am... grabs my wings (see it was neccesary!) and says "these arent vegan!" i said how did she know that. she just kept telling me how cruel they were and how hypocritical i was for wearing them. then had a go at me for dying my hair, because hair dye isnt vegan. i say yes it is, its stargazer theyre all vegan. she says no only directions are. i say funny that, on the website it says theyre vegan i trust thier website. so basically she picks apart everything about me saying what a sh*tty vegan i am. whatever i say she just keeps going! my friend was arguing with me too (who is a hypocrite for eating meat even though shes never skinned a rabbit, apparently... jaysus someone likes skinning rabbits). i wish i was sober i couldve been nasty to her then. hah

..... later i found out unsuprisingly shes a compulsive liar. hah. she told someone else she "knew all about womens problems because she has seven sisters" like the number seven eh?

also worth noting she was wearing leather trousers. mmmmm binbag chic!

Wow... talk about the omni vegan police being taken to whole new levels...
#2847 Old 03-13-2007, 01:20 AM
Veggie Regular

last night talking online to a friends friend

omni: my sister is veagon(she spelled it that way)

me: realy?

omni: yeah she eats fish.

me: shes not vegan then

omni: yes she is.

me: a vegan is someone who doesn't eat or use anything that came from an animal. your sister is a pescatarian.

omni: well i dont know what you would call her(ummm i just told you)

me:shes a pescatarian pesca is latin for fish.

omni: im not fluint in latin(not many people are including me)

omni: my aunts cat is veagon too.

me: umm how? cats cant be completly vegan, their bodys are built to digest meat, they will go blind without it.

freind:yeah cats have to have meat or they go blind.

omni:the cat eats fish.

and here we go again...
#2848 Old 03-13-2007, 01:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicCandle View Post

last night talking online to a friends friend

omni: my sister is veagon(she spelled it that way)

me: realy?

omni: yeah she eats fish.

me: shes not vegan then

omni: yes she is.

me: a vegan is someone who doesn't eat or use anything that came from an animal. your sister is a pescatarian.

omni: well i dont know what you would call her(ummm i just told you)

me:shes a pescatarian pesca is latin for fish.

omni: im not fluint in latin(not many people are including me)

omni: my aunts cat is veagon too.

me: umm how? cats cant be completly vegan, their bodys are built to digest meat, they will go blind without it.

freind:yeah cats have to have meat or they go blind.

omni:the cat eats fish.

and here we go again...

Wow, it's like one of those chat bots. They cannot seem to remember what happened more than two lines earlier in the conversation.
#2849 Old 03-13-2007, 08:32 AM
Beginner

This has nothing to do with omnis...I just wanted to mention I finally finished reading this entire thread....it was great fun!!!! Took me almost a month though, LOL
#2850 Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by newveggirl82 View Post

This has nothing to do with omnis...I just wanted to mention I finally finished reading this entire thread....it was great fun!!!! Took me almost a month though, LOL

And this is the SECOND STOS thread. Have you read the first one? That one goes to about 5,000 posts.

*this space not for sale*
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page