Stupid things omnivores say... (Version 2.0) - Page 79 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#2341 Old 01-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

I had a funny one at work the other day. I was in our lounge, getting a plate of food from our lunch buffet. There isn't a whole lot of veg*n food, but I got some spring rolls, salad and noodles.

One of the chefs offered me some ginger beef, and I replied, "No thanks, I'm a vegetarian'. He said, "but you're so pretty!" and looked forelorn.

i

guess veg*ns are supposed to be ugly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2342 Old 01-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kula View Post

I've read through the entire thread, and I must say i'm astounded at the number of people who think that vegetarians can eat chicken or fish. What I find even more alarming are the cases on television involving so called 'vegetarians' who eat fish and chicken. This is gross misrepresentation.

I totally agree!!!!

My fiance's sister is a "vegetarian" for 20 years now. Everyone knows it in the family. So how is she a vegetarian if she eats fish, chicken and turkey????????

Just beacuse she doesn't eat red meat, that doesn't make her a vegetarian.

So when I said to my fiance ten months ago that I will be a vegetarian from now on, his mum said to me, oh you'll be like my daughter then. You can still eat chicken and fish you know!!!! Unbelievable!

"I don't want to tamper with natural ignorance. It's the key to happiness.
Ignorance is the key. Too much knowledge and you're doomed."

"The Animals of the planet are in desperate peril. Without free animal life I believe we will lose the spiritual equivalent of oxygen. "
#2343 Old 01-14-2007, 09:02 PM

There needs to be a word that describes people who wish they were vegetarian, and accordingly don't eat a few types of meat. That way, they can still feel tingly + special about themselves and stop messing with peoples' perceptions of us.

Flexitarian? Ugh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2344 Old 01-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsey View Post

There needs to be a word that describes people who wish they were vegetarian, and accordingly don't eat a few types of meat. That way, they can still feel tingly + special about themselves and stop messing with peoples' perceptions of us.

Flexitarian? Ugh.

pseudovegetarian?

meatatarian?
#2345 Old 01-14-2007, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Flexitarian? Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg*nrunner View Post

pseudovegetarian?

meatatarian?

I prefer using "omnivore" when describing them.
#2346 Old 01-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg*nrunner View Post

pseudovegetarian?

meatatarian?

I like the term 'pseudovegetarian' - because it calls them out on the fact that they're really just pretending
#2347 Old 01-15-2007, 09:36 AM

Nice

I mean, I just get the feeling all these fish-eaters, etc. want to feel special and unique and that's why they call themselves vegetarians. Of course they're omnivores... but maybe if we gave them a special word to label themselves they'd leave the rest of us alone!
#2348 Old 01-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I was asked this at a party by a 25 year old woman:

"wow, so you are a vegan. Is it true that you cant even eat some vegetables and fruits?"

"no"

"Cause i heard that vegans eat only certain types of roots"

"no, that is not the case"

Where in the world do people get these ideas?
#2349 Old 01-15-2007, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Pesceornithitarian?
#2350 Old 01-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I know a few people like that!
#2351 Old 01-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

"Honorable Meat Reducer"
#2352 Old 01-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

At least once in every conversation, I get to hear my mom say, "But everybody needs a little meat." One day when I've had enough I'm going to tell her that I do eat meat fairly often. His name is Jon.

Maybe that will shut her up.
#2353 Old 01-15-2007, 02:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Girl View Post

At least once in every conversation, I get to hear my mom say, "But everybody needs a little meat." One day when I've had enough I'm going to tell her that I do eat meat fairly often. His name is Jon.

HAH
#2354 Old 01-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That reminds me of hearing something about a hot beef injection on the simpsons, I think it was....

*shudder*

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#2355 Old 01-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I never used to get stupid comments, but at my new job, I'm making up for lost time. My mostly well-meaning but clueless co-workers are just full of them, and the most frustrating part is that I can't unleash any zinger comebacks on them, because I have to get along with these people. I've been getting all the classics, including:

How do you not eat good things like barbecue?

MM, that looks good! Where's mine? Oh, never mind...

How about I take you out for a nice steak dinner?

Sure, I'd love to go to lunch! How about [insert nearby steak house]? (nasty smirk)

My holiday was great! I spent time with my family, we ate good food... (meaningful pause)... we ate a lot of MEAT. Mmm, MEAT.

What are you going to eat at [local burger joint]-- a VEGGIE BURGER??? (tone of disbelieving horror)
#2356 Old 01-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

You just made my day [or well, night]. I'm definitely going to remember that one.
#2357 Old 01-16-2007, 07:31 AM

This is a great thread!

I do not understand why people of differing opinions, whether political, racial, religious, food oriented, etc., feel that they must inflict their point of view on others. It is absurd for any person to feel that they are being subjected to prejudice and ridicule..... just for having strong, and frequently educated and well-researched, opinions.

For omnivores who claim to base on their "right" to eat meat from the old testament, it is helpful to remind them that until the Great Flood, G-d told us to eat that which grows from the earth - and even show them in Genesis, if necessary.

For people who insist that you don't get enough protien, I tend to have a handy quote ready from whichever book I am reading at the time (or have recently read).... making sure the sources are credible (Drs Ornish, McDougall, Campbell, etc....) As much as I believe in Dr. Weil, too many people do not accept his teachings, so I tend not to use him except when folks are already half way there....

For people who insist that factory farming is benign, there is always Fast Food Nation......

But unfortunately, most critics tend to be uneducated louts, in my experience. Sigh. And equally unfortunate: my unwillingness to stand up for myself sometimes in order to avoid a scene.....
#2358 Old 01-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

but vegans can eat organic beef
#2359 Old 01-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopedanny View Post

but vegans can eat organic beef

Since when?

I guess they could eat organic beef if they chose to, but then they wouldn't be vegan anymore. They would be omnivores.
#2360 Old 01-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

Since when?

I guess they could eat organic beef if they chose to, but then they wouldn't be vegan anymore. They would be omnivores.

Dopedanny was making a joke, based on the classic omnivore insistence that as long as it's free range or organic it's ok.
#2361 Old 01-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

There have been a couple of times where I'm trying to cook tofu, soup, or veggie burgers at home. My brother told me, "Why do you eat that kind of food? It's fake." I told him, "Well, it's not imaginary food!"

Also, I bought some toothpaste at the health food store. I was feeling good about it because the brand I got had no animal ingredients in it and it was cruelty-free. My dad spies it in the bathroom and yells out, "Oh, god, it's tree tea oil toothpaste! I bet it's made from frog piss." Then, he walks into the living room with his toothbrush in his mouth using the toothpaste and says again, "It's made with frog piss."

I know both my brother and my dad are joking. However, I just get frustrated sometimes. , but I don't let it bother me most of the time.

The other night, I made chocolate pudding with soy milk without telling anyone. Two days later, I asked my brother whether or not he liked the pudding. He said it was thick, but he liked it okay. I told him I made the pudding with soy milk. I guess I was being a little devious, but nobody in my family is allergic to soy, so I think it was okay.
#2362 Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumos View Post

Dopedanny was making a joke, based on the classic omnivore insistence that as long as it's free range or organic it's ok.

whew! I couldn't detect the sarcasm on that post.
#2363 Old 01-16-2007, 01:17 PM

Someone, (an omnivore), recently told me there was a study done that concluded that people who ate animal protein live longer than vegetarians. I guess everyone that says we need to eat more fruits, veggies and whole grains is really trying to kill us! And I wonder exactly who did this "study."
#2364 Old 01-16-2007, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmifb View Post

Someone, (an omnivore), recently told me there was a study done that concluded that people who ate animal protein live longer than vegetarians. I guess everyone that says we need to eat more fruits, veggies and whole grains is really trying to kill us! And I wonder exactly who did this "study."

There is one poorly designed study out there by some group (I forget which) that has an interest in increasing beef consumption. In a developing country, the people there were living off of a nutritionally incomplete vegetable 'stew' (that was lacking in protein). So they had three groups: one group had meat added to the stew, another had milk added, and the third had vegetable oil added. So they added animal protein to two, and vegetable fat to the third. Of course, the nutritional status of those eating the stew with animal protein did better than those not getting any additional protein. The study was set up to make it seem like vegetable protein was inferior, yet they did not use any vegetable protein. Of course, the headlines don't say this, but come out with ridiculous claims about how vegetarianism is terrible for children, etc. But nobody mentions how these companies go to developing countries and use humans as guinea pigs, deliberately not giving the vegetable group any protein. These groups will stop at nothing to try to promote meat as healthy - they will even compromise the health of children to do so.

I think this might be the study they were referring to. Or one similar to it. The best thing to do in these situations is to ask for the reference so you can refer to the actual study yourself and read it. It can be very interesting to see how the experiment is set up to go in favor of the group funding the research.
#2365 Old 01-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Beginner

Today I was talking to my guitar teacher about how the guy who came up with the term "vegan" is still alive (I believe he's in his 90s, right? If I'm wrong or if he's dead, please correct me. ^.^) and how veganism has vastly increased and my teacher said "Oh, well these fad things come and go."
#2366 Old 01-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

He actually died last year.
#2367 Old 01-17-2007, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michey View Post

Today I was talking to my guitar teacher about how the guy who came up with the term "vegan" is still alive (I believe he's in his 90s, right? If I'm wrong or if he's dead, please correct me. ^.^) and how veganism has vastly increased and my teacher said "Oh, well these fad things come and go."

My guess is he hasn't heard the term "vegan" until recently and isn't aware the term was invented early last century. That, or a fad lasts 100 years.
#2368 Old 01-17-2007, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I love my best friend to pieces but she annoyed me the other day...

She is omni and her boyfriend is vegetarian, but she said while eating chicken soup (which was also spelt 'chickhen' on the pot by the dinner woman!) that she eats very little meat and when she is at his house his parents think of her as vegetarian...OK she eats veggie food when she's there but she isn't vegetarian!

The second thing was that when she lived on a farm when she was a kid they 'had to eat meat for survival' ... Sorry but that just sounds like such an ignorant thing to say...what about all the farmers in the vegetarian areas of India for one? And that's a far poorer country than England...so a family in England couldn't grow vegetables,both for themselves and to sell and buy in anything else they needed?
#2369 Old 01-17-2007, 10:03 AM

Near the village I live in, there is a small district. In that district, there is a butchers shop relatively close to a morgue. People seem a little disturbed of walking by the morgue, but are absloutely fine walking by the butchers...

IRONY ALERT.
#2370 Old 01-17-2007, 10:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Is your sig ironic by the way Stuart? What or who is it a quote from? Sorry just a little confuzzled as usual...
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page