Stupid things omnivores say... (Version 2.0) - Page 75 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#2221 Old 12-29-2006, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer89 View Post

I once saw a "Vegetarian" cookbook, that had a recipe for homemade chicken broth. Not fake chicken broth... real animal chicken chicken broth Needless to say, I didn't buy the cookbook.

yeah, for xmas, my godfather got me a veggie cookbook, a bunch of the recipes included anchovies and chicken broth (not together though ), though you have to give it some credit, it said "for strict vegetarians, chicken broth may be substituted with veggie broth and anchovies are optional" *rolls eyes*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2222 Old 12-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

When I first went veg, my parents gave me a copy of Sunset Magazine's Vegetarian cookbook. There's a section in the book where it tells you how to de-vegetarianize recipes for "mixed company", that is, adding chicken to something for meat eaters. I said to my sister "why are they telling people how to de-vegetarianize recipes in a "vegetarian" cookbook, when there are 16 gazillion non-vegetarian cookbooks out there?" She said they probably took a lot of omni recipes and made them vegetarian, and now they're just reversing the process!

*this space not for sale*
#2223 Old 12-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

my stepdad, who's obsessed with cooking meet, once got mad at me for covering up my nose when the smell of cooking dead flesh fled through the house, "well I'm SORRY, but most people love the smell of meat."

GRRR

what reminded me of this?

I came home from a jog and the house wreaked TERRIBLY of fish. he's apparently cooking a ton of it in the kitchen and the house is even hazy. I'm in my room with the door shut and sprayed a bunch of spray, but it still seems horribly in here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2224 Old 12-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiehorsechik View Post

My Mom: "Erica's going to be a vegetarian"

My Grandma: "Okay, but she still has to eat chicken and fish!"

My Mom: "Why? I don't think she will"

My Grandma (acting like she's stating the obvious): "Well, she needs protein!"

My Mom: "She drinks lots of milk, eats eggs, peanut butter, cheese.."

My Grandma: "She still needs chicken and fish!"

My Mom: "..okay mom.."

Hahahaha. Shtupid grandparents :P

Most Gramparents don't seem to get vegetarianism/veganism because they are older and of course grew up differently. My 82 year old Gram was horrified when she found out I wasn't going to eat anymore meat, she thinks it's a phase of course, and I really don't think she even understands WHY anyone would do it. I didn't want to piss her off when she asked me why I do it so I just told her " It's against my values" to avoid needless conflict-- I still remember what she said:

"OH, so you have VALUES now." lol like I just thought I was so high and mighty and she thought 16 was too young to have values. hahaha
#2225 Old 12-29-2006, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

"OH, so you have VALUES now." lol like I just thought I thought I was so high and mighty and she though 16 was too young to have values. hahaha

Oh man. That is perfect.
#2226 Old 12-29-2006, 11:13 PM
Banned

I just got a message from someone on a dating website:

"Your not picky. You just know what you want. I can respect that. I agree with alot of the stuff you said on your profile for the most part. I dont know how anybody can go through life not wanting a burger and any form of meat, its just not natural. We didnt climb to the top of the food chain to eat just fruits and vegatables. Take this message however you like, you are a beautiful girl that knows what she wants. [...] I enjoy fishing but never get the chance to do it. [...] "

#2227 Old 12-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Beginner

For my Biology class this semester I had to post an online topic that my class mates can respond to about biology types of projects. This is the thread that I started - it's about Iams testing:

Iams Animals Testing Reply

www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm

This article along with many other articles report the use of animal testing practices at Iams. ( The most recent a 9 month uncover investigation of Iams coordinated by PETA - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. www.iamscruelty.com/introduction.asp ). The testing on animals such as dogs and cats has led to kidney failure, obesity, malnutrition, liver damage, severe allergic reactions, stomach inflammation, diarrhoea, severe skin disorders, lesions, skin wounds and other painful illnesses in these animals. This to me is in inhumane and cruel and a shocking contrast from their animal lover commercials that encourage people to keep their dogs healthy by feeding them Iams. People at home feeding their pets Iams dog food, have no idea that they are supporting the painful deaths, and isolated lives of animals being tested at the Iams factory.

This is just my opinion. Do you think that Iams animal testing , or animal testing in general is necessary? Do you think that these practices are humane?

This is the response I got back.

Re: Iams Animals Testing Reply

Animal testing is a very contriversal topic. Although it seems very cruel, it is necessary in my opinion. Even though there are such methods as models and chemical testing, it is not as accurate as testing on an acual animal due the the complexity of the life systems. It is nessesary to test the product on a group of animals rather than distributing it and later discovering its harmful side effects. In my opinion this is benifiting the people buying the product for their pet. People who are feeding their pets Iams food know that their pets are in no danger to harm as research as been done. There are many sacrifices we give to learn the truth about products and I think many animal lovers would agree that this is a fair trade off to ensure the safety of their pet.

Here's yet another :

Normally I would agree testing on animals is cruel and such, but for this case i think it makes prefect sense. I mean.. You make dog food, so it makes sense to test on dogs. Yes you may say that it is still inhumane but it is very benifcial to those buying the dog food. The company wouldn't put out a product that is harmful to their customers' pets, they must test first.

Now I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but how can someone be so selfish, especially if they are an animals lover? All people seem to care about is that their dog is safe, they don't give a **** about what other animals suffer through to keep theirs safe. It's so infuriating! Some one back me up here.
#2228 Old 12-30-2006, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzy_Grape View Post

Animal testing is a very contriversal topic. Although it seems very cruel, it is necessary in my opinion. Even though there are such methods as models and chemical testing, it is not as accurate as testing on an acual animal due the the complexity of the life systems. It is nessesary to test the product on a group of animals rather than distributing it and later discovering its harmful side effects. In my opinion this is benifiting the people buying the product for their pet. People who are feeding their pets Iams food know that their pets are in no danger to harm as research as been done. There are many sacrifices we give to learn the truth about products and I think many animal lovers would agree that this is a fair trade off to ensure the safety of their pet.

Here's yet another :

Normally I would agree testing on animals is cruel and such, but for this case i think it makes prefect sense. I mean.. You make dog food, so it makes sense to test on dogs. Yes you may say that it is still inhumane but it is very benifcial to those buying the dog food. The company wouldn't put out a product that is harmful to their customers' pets, they must test first.

Now I know that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but how can someone be so selfish, especially if they are an animals lover? All people seem to care about is that their dog is safe, they don't give a **** about what other animals suffer through to keep theirs safe. It's so infuriating! Some one back me up here.

Seriously, they need to take the 'kind' out of humankind.
#2229 Old 12-30-2006, 11:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

For my Biology class this semester I had to post an online topic that my class mates can respond to about biology types of projects. This is the thread that I started - it's about Iams testing:

This article along with many other articles report the use of animal testing practices at Iams. ( The most recent a 9 month uncover investigation of Iams coordinated by PETA - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. www.iamscruelty.com/introduction.asp ). The testing on animals such as dogs and cats has led to kidney failure, obesity, malnutrition, liver damage, severe allergic reactions, stomach inflammation, diarrhoea, severe skin disorders, lesions, skin wounds and other painful illnesses in these animals. This to me is in inhumane and cruel and a shocking contrast from their animal lover commercials that encourage people to keep their dogs healthy by feeding them Iams. People at home feeding their pets Iams dog food, have no idea that they are supporting the painful deaths, and isolated lives of animals being tested at the Iams factory.

This is just my opinion. Do you think that Iams animal testing , or animal testing in general is necessary? Do you think that these practices are humane?

Here's yet another :

I think the respondents don't realize what kind of testing is going on. Yes, pet food should be "tested" on pets. They're thinking "Well duh, of course it should be tested on dogs, not people" but it should be tested through humane, home testing, and not in labs where animals are being mutilated while alive to see how the food is affecting them.
#2230 Old 01-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom made this casserole with chicken strips on the bottom and mixed veggies on top. I just ate the veggies, but I noticed a small cube of chicken on my plate, so I gave it to her.

She's like *sigh* "It's just a little piece"

I'm like "Is it meat? Because I don't eat meat. So if it's 'just a little piece' of meat I can eat it?" I asked sarcastically.

She's like "Yes..."

And I'm like "I don't eat meat."

And she goes "Why?"

Are you kidding me? I've been a vegetarian for 4 months. HELLO, we've gone over this time and time again. I thought she was finally being accepting. So then I had to get into my whole views about how cruel the animal industry is, and how meat isn't good for you, and I don't see any point in eating it because there's nothing in meat that you can't get anywhere else.

Thank you mom.
#2231 Old 01-01-2007, 08:52 PM

I'd heard about the infamous "where do you get your protein?" question but just was asked it last week by my grandmother....i got a full interrogation on vegetarianism at Christmas dinner. And my grandparents are beef farmers...except most of their business is corn and straw and pumpkins.

Once I thought about it later, though, I was eating potatoes and succotash, so I was getting enough protein without eating the dead bird. And then when we went home, I had hummus, and was happy that I do not have to see them for a few months.

The thing is, this really upsets me, because I used to be pretty close to my grandparents, but the last year or so I've been to busy to go there alot and of course now I'm a wierd vegetarian....

Well anyway, that's my omnivore comment, whether a particularly "stupid" thing or not.
#2232 Old 01-01-2007, 10:50 PM

I got one the other day that I wasn't quite expecting. I've read this thread and it really helped me with what to expect people to say when I tell them I'm vegan but, I hadn't heard this one before...I told my co-worker that I was vegan and he said very matter-of-factly "it won't last." And then he and my other co-worker launch into how they would miss steak too much. Now, that one I've heard. I wasn't sure how to react to the first statement though so I just said sarcastically "ooookay, thanks for that." I like that it's just a phase.

Thankfully all of my other co-workers have just been curious. I even taught one of them about the joys of tempeh.
#2233 Old 01-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn View Post

She's like *sigh* "It's just a little piece"

I'm like "Is it meat? Because I don't eat meat. So if it's 'just a little piece' of meat I can eat it?" I asked sarcastically.

She's like "Yes..."

And I'm like "I don't eat meat."

And she goes "Why?"

I would of said "What if it was 'just a little piece' of Doberman brains?"

Of course, I did say that. And now my mother calls all small amounts of animal products in food, "Doberman brains". Pretty funny actually, heh.

But yeah, been 8 years and my mother still says "a little bit wont kill you", but she still respects my choices and always made me things separate without animal products. I thank her greatly for that.
#2234 Old 01-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I HATE that "little bit won't kill you" remark. What about NOT having that little bit? Will that kill me?
#2235 Old 01-02-2007, 10:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Here's yet another :

not to mention iams "food" is full of all sorts of nasty stuff. their commercials make me sick, cuz of the awful things they do to those poor "test subjects"
#2236 Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Here's yet another :

. their commercials make me sick, cuz of the awful things they do to those poor "test subjects". not to mention iams "food" is full of all sorts of nasty stuff
#2237 Old 01-02-2007, 11:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_0810 View Post

I HATE that "little bit won't kill you" remark. What about NOT having that little bit? Will that kill me?

ggrrr!!!! my dad says this to me. next time im gonna tell him "no, but it will kill somthing else." hee hee i have it all planned out. its one of those things where you think of somthing to say after the fact.
#2238 Old 01-03-2007, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Last night the bf and I went out to eat. We were seated beside a large and noisy table of college students.

One girl had ordered the garden salad as an appetizer. After it had arrived, she spent about 20 minutes loudly complaining to her tablemates that there was no chicken in the garden salad. Never mind that the menu clearly listed the ingredients. Never mind that the girl had ordered a large chicken dish as her main course.

Then the students at the table debated over whether she should send it back for more excruciating minutes. She kept repeating in a whiny voice, "Look at this, it's just lettuce! I can't eat just lettuce!"

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#2239 Old 01-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

She kept repeating in a whiny voice, "Look at this, it's just lettuce! I can't eat just lettuce!"

#2240 Old 01-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Last night the bf and I went out to eat. We were seated beside a large and noisy table of college students.

One girl had ordered the garden salad as an appetizer. After it had arrived, she spent about 20 minutes loudly complaining to her tablemates that there was no chicken in the garden salad. Never mind that the menu clearly listed the ingredients. Never mind that the girl had ordered a large chicken dish as her main course.

Then the students at the table debated over whether she should send it back for more excruciating minutes. She kept repeating in a whiny voice, "Look at this, it's just lettuce! I can't eat just lettuce!"

Sorry, but if I had been there, I would have been laughing my head off. She DID order a GARDEN salad, after all.

*this space not for sale*
#2241 Old 01-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I remember just yesterday, my brother's friend and my sort of friend spent the night. The next morning, when we were eating breakfast, my brother and the friend ate the french toast and processed syrup whilst I ate my good ol' oats and soymilk, and the friend asked, "Why don't you just eat good food?" I replied, "Because I love this food", and he didn't say much after that. Simple thing really, but he obviously is very ignorant of the facts and truths behind our motives, both healthwise and, I suppose, ethically. I mean, he works at Backyard Burgers (where they "grill" the burgers and not fry them", so what!?). It's really disgusting to watch him eat his greasy, diseased-looking cheese slathered on a soft looking burger. No wonder he complains of heartburn and other minor ailments, and is so fat.
#2242 Old 01-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Veggie Regular

And we all know when you plant eggs that chickens grow in the garden, don't we kids? How else would chicken get in that garden salad.

****I have a blog--check me out!
http://spidergrrlvstheworld.blogspot.com/****
#2243 Old 01-03-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gagnepain View Post

The one I'm tired of hearing is "How do you get your protein?"

ye!!i mean people dont seem to understand that protein doesnt just come from meat!!
#2244 Old 01-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Megz* View Post

ye!!i mean people dont seem to understand that protein doesnt just come from meat!!

I know. When my friend asked me if I got enough protein I told her meat wasn't the only source. The only thing she could come up with besides meat was beans and I told her more things than she realized have protein.

My sister's bf is obsessed with protein and I told her that he gets way too much and how it's really hard to be deficient in protein. Most of the health experts that are reputable say you don't need as much as most Americans get and they tell you to even get your protein from many sources. It's unhealthy that people depend on meat as their one source.

Seriously, where did all the protein obsession come from? It's crazy! People should be more worried about how many fresh fruits and veggies they are eating instead of how much protein they eat.
#2245 Old 01-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by krista82 View Post

Seriously, where did all the protein obsession come from? It's crazy! People should be more worried about how many fresh fruits and veggies they are eating instead of how much protein they eat.

Decades of careful indoctrination by the meat/dairy industry (with the public education system as an accomplice)
#2246 Old 01-03-2007, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Speaking of omni's constantly asking us where we get our protein, I found this comic on a vegan group I belong to on Facebook. I thought it was so funny I had to share it with you all.

[attachment=5057:comic_protein.jpg]
LL
#2247 Old 01-03-2007, 11:15 PM

I was told that Leather was a Luxury by a close friend...I has asked her if she wanted a pair of leather palmed driving gloves i got as a christmas gift before i gave them away and she said of course...but added rudely that she was shocked i would make such a big deal about this cause leather is a Luxury that everone should expierence and about all its wonderful vurtues...its sooo soft and creamy...i wanted to be sick and responded that i will never understand how wearing parts of a dead animal could or would be considered luxurious.
#2248 Old 01-04-2007, 06:46 AM

I agree, Jenni.

Well, my family still doesn't know about my vegetarianism, but I can tell from one comment that my dad made, that he would be totally against it.

Sister 1: Hey Gidget, do you want some of the hot dogs?

Me: No. . .no thanks.

Dad: WHy not, they're good!

Me: I just. . .don't like the taste. All that grease. . .

Dad: Well you have to eat meat in this family! Meat is a treat!

I then excused myself to the restroom.

#2249 Old 01-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Decades of careful indoctrination by the meat/dairy industry (with the public education system as an accomplice)

Totally. I usually call it "brainwashing," but I like your terminology better.

Krista82 - I like that comic. That happens to me all the time, some unhealthy looking omni asking me about protein or telling me veg isn't healthy.

Jenni - I don't understand why leather would be considered a luxury either. I never liked leather, even as an omni. I always found it cold in the winter, hot in the summer, you have to put Armor All or something on it, like, every other day, and it's ruined if you get within arm's reach of a cat. Every time I see someone wearing a black leather jacket, it gives me the impression that they're trying hard to look cool, and therefore they're not.
#2250 Old 01-04-2007, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I was in the break room, rinsing my lunch containers, and two guys were talking behind me. I didn't catch the conversation until I heard one of them say, "My wife used to work in a chicken slaughterhouse."

I turned around, and the second guy was microwaving a Boston Market microwave dinner. He said to the first guy, "I bet she doesn't eat much chicken anymore, huh? Haha."

The first guy said, "Not at all," then started to say something else that I didn't hear.

The guy with the microwave chicken said, "I don't know, I don't want to know."

At which point I butted in and said, "Not me, I *want* to know what I'm eating. In fact I *do* know, and that's why I'm a vegetarian!" I stood there, looking at them, armed with all my witty comebacks from having read every post ever in this entire thread(s), but they didn't bite.

So then I go to my desk, and a different guy sees my computer wallpaper and starts talking to me about animals. He told me about a friend of his who got a kitten, but the kitten scratched his arm a lot so "he had to get rid of it."

Before I could say anything, he said, "Have you seen the admin's pictures? She has all these pictures of her cats all over the cubicle. She has one, it's so cute, his collar is stuck half way up its head and it's eyes are bulging out! It's adorable!"

So I got a triple whammy of omni culture within a span of about 10 minutes.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page