Stupid things omnivores say... (Version 2.0) - Page 54 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#1591 Old 10-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

off topic, but the google ad at the top of my page says "pubic hair

i just had to post it because it has nothing to do with anything on this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1592 Old 10-10-2006, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

*the other day*

"Oh, you're a vegetarian? My boyfriend's mom is kind of a vegetarian. Except she eats seafood. And chicken."

#1593 Old 10-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatherineLynn View Post

*the other day*

"Oh, you're a vegetarian? My boyfriend's mom is kind of a vegetarian. Except she eats seafood. And chicken."

I thought of a comparison for that:

"I kinda do not kill people. Except I killed three women. And a baby."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#1594 Old 10-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_0810 View Post

I thought of a comparison for that:

"I kinda do not kill people. Except I killed three women. And a baby."

#1595 Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Beginner

Quote:
"This chicken tastes so bad. I bet its made out of that tofu crap."

i'd forgotten about that one. my mother went out of her way to cook chicken for the stepdad one night; he picked at it, took a bite and grimaced. he had a dead-serious look on his face as if he'd just been poisoned. "ugh, what is this, soy?"

funny story...

when i was dating my burger-king-arian ex, and became vegan, he began to rebel against me. when he would stay at my house over the weekend, he would go on a hunger strike and not eat anything at all for three days. (this went on for several months ). even now that we rarely speak, my choices are still a hot topic with him. apparently, "all my food tastes like sh*t", and when i inquire why he thinks that way, i get the brilliant rebuttal "i don't know. i just put it in my mouth and it tastes like sh*t." he literally refuse to eat anything that does not contain meat, and proudly proclaims so with a smug grin and extremely cocky tone (mind you, this boy has been on a non-stop ego trip since i met him). as my mom sarcastically puts it, "oh, our food is so weird. that poor boy must have been starving to death. it's a shame we don't have normal food, like deer or beaver, in our fridge." she's the veggie cook, and we have a good laugh at the silly comments of other males we know.
#1596 Old 10-12-2006, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I am always annoyed when people tell me to "start eating"! For example:

Me: My head hurts.

Omni: That's because you don't eat.

I eat a lot and I don't have an eating disorder. I hate it when omnis associate veganism with not eating! There is other food than meat!
#1597 Old 10-13-2006, 09:58 AM

I have a couple. I was at an italian restaurant and ordered the "Vegetarian Pasta". We were all talking about being vegetarians when I guess the waitress over heard and said, "oh, do you all eat chicken?" And we said no. She says, "welll..... there was chicken broth in the pasta you ate" I was pissed, yelled at the manager and never ate there again.

My sister told me a story about how she was alone at a chinese restaurant and this stranger came up to her and said, "tofu?? You should really order meat, you'd be healtheir" and he had a smirk on his face, my sister yelled, "I hope you get colon cancer &%$ hole" He'll think twice about saying something next time.
#1598 Old 10-14-2006, 07:41 AM
Veggie Regular

This isn't that stupid, but it made me laugh.

Our college serves some really low-quality meat. Yesterday was the worst. It was like they were trying to get away with feeding students big hunks of fat.

One of my omni friends got it and couldn't touch it. She was complaining about how bad all the meat was here and said "I can't eat this. I'm going to get a protein defiency." She must have said this three times.

Out of the four people at the table, two of us were vegetarians (and she knows we are). We just looked at each other like "Then why aren't we dead yet?" and started educating the omnis on other sources of protein.
#1599 Old 10-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
"Then why aren't we dead yet?" and started educating the omnis on other sources of protein.

Awesome.
#1600 Old 10-14-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Meat's dangerous stuff. There are a lot of parasites, etc. that need to be killed so humans don't consume them. I suppose arsenic's considered a bit of a less immediate danger.

I knew about e.coli, but I didn't know there were lots of parasites in meat.

I guess that's proof enough. If humans were meant to eat meat, they would not have to cook it. I can't think of any other meat eaters who have to sit down and cook their food...
#1601 Old 10-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Most parasites reside in the digestive system, but there are those like trichinosis in pork that reside directly in the flesh and some reside in the bloodstream. Most farms have one method or another of preventing/killing such parasites. The methods are not always so harmless.
#1602 Old 10-14-2006, 05:43 PM

My favorite stupid thing is responses to cookies and cakes I make. Someone will eat a treat I made, ask "Is this vegan?" and upon hearing that it is, they'll say "Wow, you totally can't tell these cookies are vegan!"

I always reply "Why, do they taste like cow teats?"

or sometimes "Why, do they taste like they fell out of a chicken's butt?"

They usually respond with totally blank expressions.
#1603 Old 10-14-2006, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie890 View Post

My favorite stupid thing is responses to cookies and cakes I make. Someone will eat a treat I made, ask "Is this vegan?" and upon hearing that it is, they'll say "Wow, you totally can't tell these cookies are vegan!"

I always reply "Why, do they taste like cow teats?"

or sometimes "Why, do they taste like they fell out of a chicken's butt?"

They usually respond with totally blank expressions.

But those are still great responses!

*this space not for sale*
#1604 Old 10-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

This weekend, I attended a benefit dinner for a local no-kill shelter. It was vegetarian, which believe me, is AMAZING for this area. Understandably, the shelter did not make a huge deal about the meal being vegetarian in its promotions.

I was standing in line behind a plump, middle-aged woman. The caterer asked the woman if she wanted marinara or garlic sauce on her pasta.

"Oh, don't you have meat sauce?" the woman asked.

"No," the caterer replied. "We're not allowed. Because it's a benefit for the animals."

The woman stood and blinked for several long minutes. It was almost as if you could see her brain struggling. Finally, the synapses made their slow connection and her expression changed as she finally realized that meat is made of animals!

"Ohhhhhh....." she drawled slowly. "Well, what, do they think you guys are cooking DOGS?"

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#1605 Old 10-14-2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

This weekend, I attended a benefit dinner for a local no-kill shelter. It was vegetarian, which believe me, is AMAZING for this area. Understandably, the shelter did not make a huge deal about the meal being vegetarian in its promotions.

I was standing in line behind a plump, middle-aged woman. The caterer asked the woman if she wanted marinara or garlic sauce on her pasta.

"No," the caterer replied. "We're not allowed. Because it's a benefit for the animals."

The woman stood and blinked for several long minutes. It was almost as if you could see her brain struggling. Finally, the synapses made their slow connection and her expression changed as she finally realized that meat is made of animals!

"Ohhhhhh....." she drawled slowly. "Well, what, do they think you guys are cooking DOGS?"

Some people..
#1606 Old 10-14-2006, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That made my brain hurt!!!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#1607 Old 10-15-2006, 12:54 AM

This one I got from my mom when I first became a vegetarian.

Mom: Yeah, I was a vegetarian once, for eight years.

Me: Really wow! : D

Mom: Yeah, I ate chicken though.

Me: ....?

Hm, last time I checked, chicken wasn't a vegetable...
#1608 Old 10-15-2006, 04:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yeahhh, because dogs are the only animals in the entire world that matter.
#1609 Old 10-15-2006, 06:24 AM

l bring in salads for lunch at work all the time. One of my co workers doesn't seem to get the concept that l am a vegetarian-

Her-Do you want a sausage roll for break?

Me-No, l don't eat meat

Her-Yeah right, you claim your a vegetarian but l am sure when you go home you eat meat at dinner!

Me-Well no l don't Himself eats meat but l don't!

Her-Yeah right, l can't see you fixing different dinners for you and him.

Me-Well l do, he eats the veggies l cook but he has meat with his and l don't!

Her-There is absolutely no way you can cook meat and not have it go into your vegetables! And once the veggies touch the meat on the plate you're still eating the meat. Besides the smell and grease fly into the veggies that's a well known fact! So therefore you're not a vegetarian.

Me-Right, whatever! You're not at my house during cooking times and you certainly don't know how l am cooking these items. l don't eat any meat at all. l don't ever put meat onto my plate anyway so therefore the veggies are still meat free.

Her-So basically you're NOT a vegetarian! So stop saying you are! Nobody can totally be meat free!

Me- Right, so tell the thousands of folks who are veg*n's that they aren't!

It amazes me how many people THINK they know everything!
#1610 Old 10-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatinlreland View Post

l bring in salads for lunch at work all the time. One of my co workers doesn't seem to get the concept that l am a vegetarian-

Her-Do you want a sausage roll for break?

Me-No, l don't eat meat

Her-Yeah right, you claim your a vegetarian but l am sure when you go home you eat meat at dinner!

Me-Well no l don't Himself eats meat but l don't!

Her-Yeah right, l can't see you fixing different dinners for you and him.

Me-Well l do, he eats the veggies l cook but he has meat with his and l don't!

Her-There is absolutely no way you can cook meat and not have it go into your vegetables! And once the veggies touch the meat on the plate you're still eating the meat. Besides the smell and grease fly into the veggies that's a well known fact! So therefore you're not a vegetarian.

Me-Right, whatever! You're not at my house during cooking times and you certainly don't know how l am cooking these items. l don't eat any meat at all. l don't ever put meat onto my plate anyway so therefore the veggies are still meat free.

Her-So basically you're NOT a vegetarian! So stop saying you are! Nobody can totally be meat free!

Me- Right, so tell the thousands of folks who are veg*n's that they aren't!

It amazes me how many people THINK they know everything!

ugh. That would relly tick me off. I had a friend the other day that was saying how strong Veg*ns were for having the strength/courage to stand for what they believe and how he thought it was admireable how I could do that with my whole family thinking Im crazy. Then my other friend, who just decided a day before to 'not eat meat'(but still eats chicken ) butts in and starts saying:

"Oh I know! It's soooo hard for me! Im the only one in my family that doesnt eat any meat!"

Me: Jenn, you eat meat.

Her: No I dont!!

Me: you eat CHICKEN!! That's meat!

Her: Yeah, but that's all. *turns to the guy* "So, yeah. It's a tough on me because I choose not to eat meat, but it's so worth it!"

Me:*bangs head against wall* lol
#1611 Old 10-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Veggie Regular

*sighs* face it guys, veg-heads are smarter than carnivores. They can;'t seem to process that meat is bad for you, or that if you eat fish, your not vegetarian.
#1612 Old 10-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Veg-Heads are human. Carnivores are like reptiles and stuff. Surely you mean omnivores? Yeah, face it. We're smarter than them.
#1613 Old 10-15-2006, 01:07 PM

It's so frustrating though!! l really wanted to smack her lol but then again this is the same person who says l am not eating healthy because l had some Ritz crackers with my salad! While she chomps down on a large cup of coffee, 1 large scone, and a large, very greasy, sausage roll, then 2 hours later munches down a chicken kiev loaded with butter, potatoes and a small "salad" This is also a woman who has been bullying me for awhile now so l don't expect her not to pick on me about my eating habits too!

Lucky for me, Himself has a sister that is a vegetarian so he understands me not wanting to eat as he does. Fair Enough!

We sure do go though some interesting conversations though don't we!
#1614 Old 10-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

This was a stupid thing I said. I was in a convenience store today, looking for a snack in a hurry. The clerk teased me by saying, "Don't read the ingrediants!"

Me: "Oh, I'm vegan, just looking for a good snack." (Note: I'm not really vegan. I'm a vegetarian who abstains from eggs and dairy about 90% of the time. But that takes a long time to explain and I was in a hurry, so I used the word "vegan" as a shortcut.)

Him: "Cool! How long have you been a vegan? I've been vegan for 5 years."

D'oh! Busted. But then we had a nice chat about good veggie restaurants, and I got a line on a vegan buffet in town.
#1615 Old 10-15-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:

"Ohhhhhh....." she drawled slowly.

That reminds me of a story. Years back, I was sitting with a coworker, working at a wildlife-type office. There was a freezer behind us, containing about 3 well-wrapped triple-bagged specimens of dead birds people had found over the years. It was very hot out, so I suggested we put some of my popsicles in the office freezer for later. My coworker, totally disgusted, said "WITH THE DEAD ANIMALS?!"

I replied "They're ALREADY in a freezer with dead animals!" Because, see, back in our bunkhouse, my popsicles were wedged in the freezer right with my coworker's frozen hamburger and shrimps and stuff.

He did exactly what the woman at your party did. Mental gears grinding, glazed eyes, and yes, even the final "Ohhhhhhhh.....yeah."

It's a fact, omnis are real dumb sometimes!
#1616 Old 10-15-2006, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

So, my new job is great. It pays well, the hours are decent, I can drive there and park in a parking lot... but the only downside is that since it's at a construction company, there are a lot of "macho" men who love their meat... and hunting. There are also just a lot of generally closed-minded, SAD-eating people for some reason.

One old guy who is higher-up than me is a really big fan of sport hunting. He always makes comments about how he'll bring back a carcass for me, or how I should try the barbeque/ribs/chicken enchilladas that they're having for lunch, and when I don't he gives me the evil eye... and he doesn't even know I am vegetarian! I can't imagine what it would be like if he did.

I've been pretty low-key as to my vegetarianism, since it would probably draw criticism and create a hostile work environment if I was militant about it at work. So, not a whole lot of people really know. But I still manage to get stupid comments.

For Example:

ME (talking to another co-worker): Yeah, I have a slight stomach problem and it usually doesn't act up, but my tummy hurts today.

2ND CO-WORKER: Oh that's too bad. Maybe it's from stress.

3RD CO-WORKER: Nah, you just need to eat some Beef! Coat that stomach with meat and animal fat!

ME: Um, yeah. NO. I'm going back to my desk. *thinking: yeah I'm sure that meat is the perfect thing to treat IBS.*

Same Co-worker:

ME: *Eats veggie booty*

CO-WORKER: OH MY GOD! What is tht green stuff?

ME: It's called veggie booty. It's like Cheetos, but healthier.

CO-WORKER: Healthy Cheetos? That don't sound right.

ME: And eating something that's dyed neon orange does?

CO-WORKER: *walks away*

At lunch with 2 Co-workers- T and F:

T: So what are you getting?

ME: I think I'll have the Pad Thai with tofu.

F: Tofu's bad for you if you're a boy. You'll grow boobies! (said in true third-grade fashion)

ME: Actually that's not necessarily true. The plant phytoestrogens in soy are...

F: *interrupts* NO!! SOY BAD!!!! I don't want boobs from all the extra hormones in my body!!!

ME: Well it's only really bad if you have a hormone imbalance, or if...

F: *interrupts again* NO you are one of those crazy vegetarians, you don't know what you're talking about!!!

ME: OK, I'm crazy but you are the one sitting here going LALALA I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOUUUU! when I am trying to have a conversation with you?! How does that make sense?

T: Sooooo where do you get your protien?

ME: *glad for subject change* Well there is protein in almost everything we eat, except fruits and really processed crappy food. I eat lots of vegetables, whole grains, legumes....

F: That stuff doesn't have enough protein in it!!! All vegetarians have protien deficiencies. An 8 ounce slab of meat...

ME: *interrupts* ...has way too much protien for the average person.

F: How much protien do you think you need?

ME: About 55-60 grams a day.

F: HA! You're crazy. For a guy like me I need much more than that, if I want to maintain muscle mass.

ME: You don't need meat to do that. Protien is really easy to get if you do your research, and there are vegan bodybuilders.

F: Pshhh. Yeah right. You are just a crazy vegetarian, what do you know?

ME: *sigh*

I really wanted to tell him that there is probably more of a chance of him growing "boobies" from the growth hormones in milk and meat. I also wanted to ask him: "OK, so if soy has so much estrogen in it, it should technically be able to be used as a method of chemical birth control. So if your girlfriend came up to you and said, "F, I decided to go off my birth control pills and I'll just eat a lot of soy, so that way I won't get pregnant!" would you be comfortable with that?" and watch him squirm. But, we were in a public place, and he was making a scene trying to drown out everything I said.

On the bright side, most of my co-workers that know are really cool about my vegetarianism. On the plus side, there is one older guy there who is a vegetarian, and he is really cool! We went out for Indian food and had a long talk about our veg beliefs.

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."
#1617 Old 10-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegbunny83 View Post

I really wanted to tell him that there is probably more of a chance of him growing "boobies" from the growth hormones in milk and meat.

Ahhhh. How can something natural be worse for you than all the crap they give animals that people eat? I mean I'd much rather take a risk with something natural than something man invented.

I don't know how you stand it!
#1618 Old 10-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimra View Post

I don't know how you stand it!

We stand it because we need a job.

A veg-hostile work environment is something (sadly) that a LOT of us have no choice but to put up with.

Vegbunny, I sooooo sympathize. Ugh.

Not the same, but I work in an environment that's 95% women and most of them are on some diet or another and even then - NONE of them are vegetarian or even slightly understanding of it.

They constantly plan Friday staff-meeting "theme" potlucks (this has been a tradition at this workplace for years evidently and not really an option to opt out of) and no matter what I tell them or how many times I remind them I'm vegan, they seem so put out when I won't bring whatever it is they've "assigned" me to bring.

I ALWAYS let them know I am willing to bring double the amount of something else (salad, bread, drink, whatever) but I am pretty sure they "assign" me the meat or cheese item just to irritate me.

After several Fridays of having me bring my soy cheese or my veggie Tofurky "meat" slices (which of course no one would touch - idiots! ) they have started re-thinking what they "assign" me to bring...
#1619 Old 10-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I need my job too (actually money-wise I could use another!). I just wouldn't associate with people who seem (from the post) to be so ignorant and rude. Although I know a lot of times you don't have a choice on who you have to talk to.

I'm just really sorry about you having to put up with all of that. With everything else people have to worry about, why must they go crazy over what other people eat? Especially when it is something so healthy.
#1620 Old 10-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh...so I'm looking at Veterinary colleges recently, and i saw something a little alarming...aparently, if you're applying to vet school, you shouldn't mention if you're involved in Animal Rights activities?? has anyone else heard of this before!?
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page