Stupid things omnivores say... (Version 2.0) - Page 29 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#841 Old 06-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Lumos:

That's so cool.... You should check out the "Nice Things Omnivores Say" thread too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#842 Old 06-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSn0ws View Post

So, I guess you're not a vegan then.

Um. Yes I am. Vegans don't eat animal FLESH. But they don't have to wear masks to prevent dust inhalation, and they aren't omnivore again if a dog hair falls in their supper and they eat it.

Is a HAIR flesh to you?
#843 Old 06-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSn0ws View Post

So, I guess you're not a vegan then.

Vegans don't deliberately eat animal PRODUCTS (products includes hair, milk, eggs...)

Cannibals deliberately eat human FLESH (meat, tissue, skin...NOT hair)

Flesh is defined as tissue, meat, and skin. Hair does not qualify as flesh and therefore you are not a cannibal for choosing to eat it.

I don't know why you were accusing me of not being vegan. I don't remember saying that I consume l-cysteine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#844 Old 06-19-2006, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Cannibals need the hair in order to hang the shrunken head. Duh!
#845 Old 06-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida View Post

I've been vegetarian for almost 3 months. Today I was about to sit and eat my veg chili w/ mushrooms on ww bread and my mom says, "don't you get bored of YOUR food?" and I responded no and then she goes "well i KNOW you're going to get bored, one day you're going to eat meat again, you'll see". I was so furious so i didn't say anything, but how dare she. She said it with such certainty. People can be so ignorant sometimes.

I think most omnis don't realise that after a long period of not eating meat, we get disgusted by the thought of eating it again. i know it's like that with me.
#846 Old 06-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Beginner

My mother in law has been giving me a bad time about being vegetarian for awhile. After 2 years, she's realized that I'm very healthy and it's hard for her to criticize my diet when we are the same height and she weighs twice as much as me. However,she did tell my husband "it's working for her but it's not a good diet for you or the kids." And she claims that we have no snacks for the kids. I guess fresh fruits, rice cakes, popcorn, nuts, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and yogurt arent snacks.

Her other stupid comments are that baked potato chips are healthy foods and that she never listens to health experts because they always change their minds.
#847 Old 06-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frida View Post

I've been vegetarian for almost 3 months. Today I was about to sit and eat my veg chili w/ mushrooms on ww bread and my mom says, "don't you get bored of YOUR food?" and I responded no and then she goes "well i KNOW you're going to get bored, one day you're going to eat meat again, you'll see". I was so furious so i didn't say anything, but how dare she. She said it with such certainty. People can be so ignorant sometimes.

Holy crap, just like my father. I remember when I went vegetarian. It was a 3-month long battle, if not more. Going vegan was tough, but that's another story. She's saying that, because she's hoping that you'll go back to eating meat. I know, my father reacted the same way. Just ignore her, and prove her wrong.
#848 Old 06-20-2006, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieeater View Post

My mother in law has been giving me a bad time about being vegetarian for awhile. After 2 years, she's realized that I'm very healthy and it's hard for her to criticize my diet when we are the same height and she weighs twice as much as me. However,she did tell my husband "it's working for her but it's not a good diet for you or the kids." And she claims that we have no snacks for the kids. I guess fresh fruits, rice cakes, popcorn, nuts, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and yogurt arent snacks.

Her other stupid comments are that baked potato chips are healthy foods and that she never listens to health experts because they always change their minds.

Ew, healthy snacks? lol j/k.

I would think twice about leaving your kids with her an extended period of time. Though by the sound of your post, you probably are.
#849 Old 06-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I just love how omnis say things like, "You're going to get bored by your food choices" when most omnis rotate the same six recipes over and over again.

The other day, my boss's boss was questioning me about what he could bring for me when he brought in donuts (nice of him to think about me, BTW). One of my peers jokingly commented, "Isn't there some kind of a re-education camp we could send you to so you would start eating meat again?"

I was feeling especially witty, so I said, "No, but there is a re-education camp out in Nampa that might make you veg."

Him: "What?"

Me: "It's called the JR Simplot slaughterhouse."
#850 Old 06-20-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSHF View Post

I just love how omnis say things like, "You're going to get bored by your food choices" when most omnis rotate the same six recipes over and over again.

The other day, my boss's boss was questioning me about what he could bring for me when he brought in donuts (nice of him to think about me, BTW). One of my peers jokingly commented, "Isn't there some kind of a re-education camp we could send you to so you would start eating meat again?"

I was feeling especially witty, so I said, "No, but there is a re-education camp out in Nampa that might make you veg."

i like it!!
#851 Old 06-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSHF View Post

Wait a second:

Six most popular omni food choices are most likely: McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, Arby's, the plastic food in the vending machine at work.....uh, what else is there...that's only five.

Six sounds better than five!

And McDonald, Wendy's and Burger King as so similar that might as well be one!
#852 Old 06-20-2006, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenfluff View Post

Wait a second:

Six most popular omni food choices are most likely: McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, Arby's, the plastic food in the vending machine at work.....uh, what else is there...that's only five.

Six sounds better than five!

And McDonald, Wendy's and Burger King as so similar that might as well be one!

I forgot KFC!

here are the choices: grease, grease, grease, and plastic.
#853 Old 06-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I overheard a funny one at a store today.

Two store employees were discussing food, and the man tells the young woman: "I don't eat red meat." The woman looked confused and asked, "Where can you eat, then?" As if every omni restaurant on the planet doesn't serve fish and chicken!

Well, one good thing: at least the guy didn't call himself a vegetarian.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#854 Old 06-20-2006, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I posted this in another thread but then I ran across this thread so I'm posting it again:

Today was our Summer Potluck/Party at work. A co-worker is NOT vegetarian but allergic to eggs and dairy, so the two of us often collaborate on what we'll bring to potlucks and such. She brought in these cookies and was so proud of the recipe she'd made 'cause it was "vegetarian" and I could eat too! No eggs, no dairy...

Well, she was right, no eggs, no dairy, but they had MARSHMALLOWS in them. And unfortunately she didn't think to tell me this until after I'd had one...

I DO NOT think it was particularly "stupid" though, just uninformed and a lack of vegetarian knowledge in her part. <sigh> oh well... Not to fear, I was very nice in telling her about marshmallows so she knows to let me know in advance next time if they're in something...
#855 Old 06-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Me: This is fake meat made from soy and wheat protein.

Omni: FAKE meat?! Ewww! How can you eat FAKE meat? That is sick!

Me: Saying fake meat is grosser than real meat is like saying fake urine is grosser than real urine.
#856 Old 06-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Beginner

I get this a lot, also-

"Do you eat chicken or fish?"

Do people just NOT GET IT?
#857 Old 06-21-2006, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwere15 View Post

I get this a lot, also-

"Do you eat chicken or fish?"

Do people just NOT GET IT?

That's because there are wackos out there that call themselves vegetarian while they continue to eat poultry and/or fish.
#858 Old 06-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiejanie View Post

That's because there are wackos out there that call themselves vegetarian while they continue to eat poultry and/or fish.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard of that... $$$$$$$$
#859 Old 06-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

This happened awhile ago at work: I got into an argument with the cook (who obviously isn't too bright).

COOK: Do you eat fish?

ME: no. Fish is a meat.

COOK: No, fish is poultry.

ME: What the hell? Poultry includes birds such as chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, etc. A fish is an aquatic animal, not a bird.

COOK: No, they're poultry.

ME: I raise chickens and turkeys an know for a fact they are poultry. Go read a textbook!

(Later on)

COOK: Do you eat pepperoni?

ME: (sigh) no because it's made of meat.

COOK: No there is such thing as a pepperoni plant. That's what pepperonis are made out of.

ME: You're kidding. There is no such thing as a pepperoni plant. Pepperoni is made from animal parts and spices--not a plant.

he still didn't believe me so I had to get my boss to explain the whole thing to him. I mean, he's a cook and he didn't know anything about the subject of food. Doesn't surprise me, I still don't think he graduated high school yet.
#860 Old 06-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenoughtoroc View Post

This happened awhile ago at work: I got into an argument with the cook (who obviously isn't too bright).

COOK: Do you eat fish?

ME: no. Fish is a meat.

COOK: No, fish is poultry.

ME: What the hell? Poultry includes birds such as chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, etc. A fish is an aquatic animal, not a bird.

COOK: No, they're poultry.

ME: I raise chickens and turkeys an know for a fact they are poultry. Go read a textbook!

(Later on)

COOK: Do you eat pepperoni?

ME: (sigh) no because it's made of meat.

COOK: No there is such thing as a pepperoni plant. That's what pepperonis are made out of.

ME: You're kidding. There is no such thing as a pepperoni plant. Pepperoni is made from animal parts and spices--not a plant.

he still didn't believe me so I had to get my boss to explain the whole thing to him. I mean, he's a cook and he didn't know anything about the subject of food. Doesn't surprise me, I still don't think he graduated high school yet.

Possibility #1: He was pulling your leg, but has no clue how to make a joke funny. (my brother is the same way)

Possibility #2: He really is dumb as a rock. A pepperoni plant? could go either way (#1 or #2)

*this space not for sale*
#861 Old 06-22-2006, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

He was probably confusing pepperoni with pepperoncini, which is a type of pepper. Still, hard to imagine confusing a sausage with a plant.
#862 Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

He was probably confusing pepperoni with pepperoncini, which is a type of pepper. Still, hard to imagine confusing a sausage with a plant.

mmmm I love pepperincini!
#863 Old 06-22-2006, 11:54 AM

Him: How about i take you out for a steak dinner...

Me: Thanks but i am vegan...i don't eat meat...

Him: oh...ummm...i'm sorry...

Now...my first thought was he was apologizing for not realizing i am a vegan...(he has known me forever..he should know this...)..but no...here is the rest of his comment...

Him: How bad does the doc think it is? Have you started treatment yet?

This is what i get for living in podunk farm country
#864 Old 06-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but yesterday some of my (adult) students started arguing with me that humans were meant to eat meat. One started with the, "I'm sure meat makes you healthier" argument while another said, "then why do we have carnivore teeth"? I didn't want to get into it (as this class I'm teaching has nothing to do with nutrition), but then one of them said, "then why do have an organ--like a vestigial organ--that its main purpose is to digest raw meat?" I said, "we don't"--as I've never even heard that argument before Anyway, it was annoying and frustrating, though I have to admit that I was already irritated with it being so hot and dry here
#865 Old 06-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm mentally preparing for the onslaught of omnivore stupidity that's coming in the next week since my in-laws just rolled into town.
#866 Old 06-22-2006, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by koti View Post

Him: How about i take you out for a steak dinner...

Me: Thanks but i am vegan...i don't eat meat...

Him: oh...ummm...i'm sorry...

Now...my first thought was he was apologizing for not realizing i am a vegan...(he has known me forever..he should know this...)..but no...here is the rest of his comment...

Him: How bad does the doc think it is? Have you started treatment yet?

This is what i get for living in podunk farm country

But it's similar to what I sometimes get, and I live in a major metropolitan part of the country (Los Angeles County). When people learn I'm a veg*an, they'll ask me "Do you FEEL better?", as if I was recovering from a serious illness. The possibility of my being veg*an for ethical reasons apparently never enters their mind...

*this space not for sale*
#867 Old 06-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

I'm mentally preparing for the onslaught of omnivore stupidity that's coming in the next week since my in-laws just rolled into town.

my inlaws are much more supportive than my family. at my baby shower there was NOTHING I could eat. (except the pasta salad I made myself). my inlaws though always call me before I go there for dinner to ask me what food is okay.
#868 Old 06-22-2006, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

today i was told that i am not really a vegetarian because i have eaten meat at one time in my life (14 yrs ago).

he said that you are only a "real" vegetarian if you have never eaten meat.
#869 Old 06-22-2006, 12:17 PM

"but its only got a little meat in it" LOL

Once I heard a vegetarian answer the here-we-go-again-age-old question of "Where do you get your protein?" with "Where do you get your vegetables?"

Touché
#870 Old 06-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I was on the lhj message board a while back and asked if anyone had a vegetarian baby and was asking for advice (before I found this board) and was told I had to either give my 6 month old baby either meat or a supplement if I was breastfeeding. because babies can die without it and cannot survive on breastmilk.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page