Stupid things omnivores say... (Version 2.0) - Page 28 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#811 Old 06-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox in Sox View Post

A lady i work with is a dedicated meat eater. She said that she couldn't bare to choose a live lobster from a tank in a restaurant, because it would be like "going out into a field and picking which cow i want to eat"

[irrelevant aside] If she were able to go out into the field and choose her cow, she could insure the hamburger patty only had the meat from one cow rather than the hundreds of bits of cows that make up your typical patty.[/irrelevant aside]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#812 Old 06-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaCeltarum View Post

What is that? I have never heard of it.

L-cysteine is a "food additive" that food manufacturers sometimes use. I've found it in the ingredients list of Sara Lee bread and Hot Pockets, and one other thing (I forget what).

Basically, people in China get a haircut, and the barber sweeps up the hair and bundles it and sells it to a factory, who processes the hair into this l-cysteine stuff. It's extremely cheap, so food manufacturers buy it and put it in processed foods to sell (usually a baked bread type of product).

They say it's a dough conditioner, they also say it's a protein. But personally I think it's a nasty, evil filler. A bit of a personal pet peeve for me, a kind of symbol of how far the food/grocery industry will go to make a buck. Real-life Soylent Green. Making us cannibals without our even knowing it
#813 Old 06-15-2006, 10:53 PM

Well, first off, all cysteine you find outside of lab-produced stuff is going to be L-cysteine. It's not an essential amino acid, so you don't need to eat it, but it is in everything organic that you eat.

Cannibalism, though? It's hair, and though it might be disgusting to think of eating hydrolyzed keratin from another person, you're not eating anything that was once alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#814 Old 06-16-2006, 12:03 AM

Recently, I was out with a few friends, and somehow we got on the topic of my being vegan. One of my friends goes "...so if you had your own cows, and you could see how happy they were on your farm, would you drink their milk?" I considered explaining all the reasons I wouldn't, but instead just asked her if she would walk up to a nursing mother she didnt know and drink her breastmilk. Best reactions ever from my friends. They couldn't even answer me. They were just stunned.

Later on she told me it was nearly the most disturbing thing anyone had ever said to her. Good. I hope she thinks about that every time she takes a sip of milk.
#815 Old 06-16-2006, 12:11 AM

^that was good!!
#816 Old 06-16-2006, 01:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Funny how people are brainwashed into thinking cow's milk is some kind of holy fluid, but are grossed out at the thought of adults drinking the milk of our own species. It's like, once we're weaned off mother's milk, it suddenly becomes this disgusting substance, but we'll go on drinking milk from other species...

(This reminds me of the scene in Look Who's Talking in which Kirstie Alley is off in another room fixing herself up, and John Travolta is seen talking to the baby. He has just bought a cup of coffee, says they forgot the milk, and grabs the baby's bottle of milk and squirts some in his coffee. Kirstie comes in while he's doing that and tells him it's breastmilk, and he spits out the coffee.)

*this space not for sale*
#817 Old 06-16-2006, 03:15 AM

Apparently Froggythefrog, she preferes her meat ultra processed, and not recognisable as an animal. I've talked to a lot of meat eaters who wouldn't eat meat if it looked like an animal, or if they had to kill it and skin it themselves. As far as they're concerned, meat comes from the supermarket!
#818 Old 06-16-2006, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Apparently Froggythefrog, she preferes her meat ultra processed, and not recognisable as an animal. I've talked to a lot of meat eaters who wouldn't eat meat if it looked like an animal, or if they had to kill it and skin it themselves. As far as they're concerned, meat comes from the supermarket!

That's saddening! How can people pretend to be ignorant about something just to decrease their guilt? How can people who are guilty about eating meat insist on eating it? They need a veggieburger.
#819 Old 06-16-2006, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_soy? View Post

Recently, I was out with a few friends, and somehow we got on the topic of my being vegan. One of my friends goes "...so if you had your own cows, and you could see how happy they were on your farm, would you drink their milk?" I considered explaining all the reasons I wouldn't, but instead just asked her if she would walk up to a nursing mother she didnt know and drink her breastmilk. Best reactions ever from my friends. They couldn't even answer me. They were just stunned.

Later on she told me it was nearly the most disturbing thing anyone had ever said to her. Good. I hope she thinks about that every time she takes a sip of milk.

I am glad for you you got that response. I mentioned that to someone once (I don't remember who) and they actually said, "sure why not?"
#820 Old 06-16-2006, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_0810 View Post

That's saddening! How can people pretend to be ignorant about something just to decrease their guilt? How can people who are guilty about eating meat insist on eating it? They need a veggieburger.

I think that is exactly what it is. I think a lot of people are not really as ignorant as they make themselves out to be as a defence, because they like meat so much that they don't want to let themselves get guilted out of it by knowing facts.

Like that scene in "A Christmas Story" when they are at the Chinese place and getthe duck, and they bring it out whole, and it freaks them out, the guy chops the head off, then everything's fine. Now we can carve it and eat it, creating a mental block to the fact it is a (no longer) sentient being, that we probably go to the park and feed once in a while.
#821 Old 06-16-2006, 08:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSn0ws View Post

Making us cannibals without our even knowing it

Actually I don't think that makes a person a cannibal. A cannibal eats the FLESH of members of their own species. If anything comes close to making us cannibals, it's the fact that we inhale dust, which is mostly dead human skin.
#822 Old 06-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I know what you mean. I don't understand the line of thinking. I understood quite well as a child that I was eating a cow, pig, bird, etc. But I know what you mean.
#823 Old 06-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphs View Post

Well, first off, all cysteine you find outside of lab-produced stuff is going to be L-cysteine. It's not an essential amino acid, so you don't need to eat it, but it is in everything organic that you eat.

Cannibalism, though? It's hair, and though it might be disgusting to think of eating hydrolyzed keratin from another person, you're not eating anything that was once alive.

The l-cysteine found in the ingredients list in certain processed foods is manufactured. Though it can be made from stuff other than human hair, the l-cysteine from the China factories is cheapest, and so it's what the food manufacturers in the US use.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ead.php?t=2310

http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/c..._out122_en.htm

http://www.kashrut.com/articles/L_cysteine/

http://www.naturalnirvana.com/Vegeta...ngredients.htm

It's definitely not something you need to eat. But I consider it cannibalism. It's a human body part. And I thought hair was alive at the point where it's being made, inside the follicle?
#824 Old 06-16-2006, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I think hair is always dead, but not sure.
#825 Old 06-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My sister is like this, and I was to some extent too before I became a vegetarian. It's pretty common, but oh so sad. Although, you can just look at all people who feel like this as potential vegetarians. Show them a meet your meat video and they just might realise the horrible awkward truth. Meat, in any form, does come from animals!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#826 Old 06-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The l-cysteine found in the ingredients list in certain processed foods is manufactured. Though it can be made from stuff other than human hair, the l-cysteine from the China factories is cheapest, and so it's what the food manufacturers in the US use.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ead.php?t=2310

http://ec.europa.eu/health/ph_risk/c..._out122_en.htm

http://www.kashrut.com/articles/L_cysteine/

http://www.naturalnirvana.com/Vegeta...ngredients.htm

It's definitely not something you need to eat. But I consider it cannibalism. It's a human body part. And I thought hair was alive at the point where it's being made, inside the follicle?

Not trying to start anything, but I think it's the least cruel animal ingredient around. Nobody is exploited to obtain it.
#827 Old 06-16-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

My sister is like this, and I was to some extent too before I became a vegetarian. It's pretty common, but oh so sad. Although, you can just look at all people who feel like this as potential vegetarians. Show them a meet your meat video and they just might realise the horrible awkward truth. Meat, in any form, does come from animals!

That's my wife. She won't eat bone-in chicken because it looks too much like a chicken. As if it is any less chicken when you peel off the skin and remove the bones. We had it tonight, well, she did. I personally found it disgusting.
#828 Old 06-16-2006, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But I consider it cannibalism. It's a human body part. And I thought hair was alive at the point where it's being made, inside the follicle?

So breathing is cannibalism to you? Human skin floats in the air (dust) and human skin is not only a part of the body, it is a major organ. And it was once alive.
#829 Old 06-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

The thought of eating hair and inhaling skin is making me quite queasy.
#830 Old 06-18-2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_0810 View Post

I once did work on a city farm, which main purpose was to show inner city, poorer kids how animals lived and where. One day talking to a group of kids, i happened by the cow pen. The kids loved those cows, giving them a stroke and saying how cute they were! I then said "can any one tell me what would happen to these cows if they lived on a real farm?" and the kids had blank faces. I then went into detail about the meat industry and told them that beef was acually the lovely cute dead cows. I was proud to make 1 of them cry! They just could not believe that meat came from animals, and not the surermarket shelves! Ihave to confess i enjoyed watching their faces drop. Those kids were 11 and 12 too, not little 5 yr olds. Thats ignorence for ya!!

I've also worked in a period museum set in 1913, which was a time when miners kept their own animals for slaughter, and when i used to go into detail, people would screw their faces and say how disgusting that was. These people, most of which dedicated omnis, confessed that they would go veggie if they were faced with butchering an animal. I took a certain sick pleasure in my job!!!
#831 Old 06-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebutterfly05 View Post

So breathing is cannibalism to you? Human skin floats in the air (dust) and human skin is not only a part of the body, it is a major organ. And it was once alive.

So, I guess you're not a vegan then.
#832 Old 06-18-2006, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So, I guess you're not a vegan then.

Well, I guess if you want to get technical, none of us are. But that just brings us back to the old "How vegan is vegan?" argument. Let's not go there again, because just like being kosher, it's always possible to be more vegan.

My question to you is, how easy/hard is it to find bread that's free of l-cysteine? Because it seems to be in pretty wide use, and every bread I've checked at the grocery store seems to have it.
#833 Old 06-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

If the L-cysteine is in it, will it be listed as such, or called something else? Is it one of those things they don't have to list? I looked at a bunch of breads yesterday and didn't see it listed on any. Right now I have Dutch Country Whole Wheat, which is on Peta's accidently vegan list.
#834 Old 06-18-2006, 06:47 PM

so i went to a big family party today to celebrate fathers day. of course there was NOTHING there i could eat... then everyone was talking about how my aunts seven layer bean dip was so delicious, but they never tasted any other bean dip besides hers so they dont know if its the BEST seven layer bean dip. they suggested that someone else should try and make it so they can try a different kind. i said i would make it and everyone laughed. my mom said "it would be a VEGAN seven layer dip..." she said it like it was the punch line. i think i could make a very good dip that they would never think was vegan unless they were told it was and i love to cook so i was kind of offended by this. i think a lot of omnis think that they can make rude jokes about vegans lifestyles because they think we know that its crazy- like we want to be recognized for being quirky and not eating animal products. and then of course someone said "I understand not eating meat but cheese?? you don't have to kill an animal to make cheese." so i tried to be patient and explain. but it's like they feel like they can ask personal questions about my lifestyle because its different from theirs. i mean i am not religious and i dont really understand why anyone would believe in a religion- BUT i respect their belief.. i don't say "Now i understand believing that jesus exsisted, but that he was the son of god? That can't be true". People just don't give the same respect about vegetarianism that they would about other subjects. oh well.
#835 Old 06-18-2006, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

The restaurant where we ate for Father's day is veg friendly - I had a really good chopped grilled vegetable salad (hold the feta cheese) there - but my father ordered lamb salad, which my mother tasted. I had to sit across from them and watch them eat lamb,for God's sake. So at one point I said "For my birthday next year*, we're all eating at a vegetarian restaurant." My mother laughed and said "Good luck finding one!"

WTF? This is Los Angeles. She knows very well that there are lots of vegetarian restaurants around.

And I told her that.

*because this year we're celebrating my b-day at a veg-friendly but not completely veg restaurant.

*this space not for sale*
#836 Old 06-18-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowDancer View Post

Don't you know? Cows have to be milked. Or else they'll explode. Even when they aren't pregnant, they're always producing milk and if it isn't taken from them, they burst.

LOL! That is just hilarious.

Myself, I haven't come across any very crazy or silly things omnivores have said. Most that I know are respectful and understand of vegetarianism .
#837 Old 06-18-2006, 09:54 PM

I've been vegetarian for almost 3 months. Today I was about to sit and eat my veg chili w/ mushrooms on ww bread and my mom says, "don't you get bored of YOUR food?" and I responded no and then she goes "well i KNOW you're going to get bored, one day you're going to eat meat again, you'll see". I was so furious so i didn't say anything, but how dare she. She said it with such certainty. People can be so ignorant sometimes.
#838 Old 06-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I was with my family this weekend in Mackinaw City, Michigan for vacation. The first night we got there we went to a restaurant for dinner and I was looking over the menu for something veg. I saw a section that said meatless dishes and I got all excited that they had a veg section. I read the so called "meatless dishes" over and they were all fish entres! This goes along with most of your posts about fish and how people just don't get that fish is meat! Since when is a dead animal, no matter what type of animal, not meat?
#839 Old 06-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I was pleasantly surprised by the reactions some people at my work have had regarding my vegetarianism (in transition to complete veganism). While I did get the normal "I need real protein" from some people, everyone seemed to be interested enough to request to look through the new edition of "VegNews" I was reading. One guy even knew a lot about veganism because of a friend of his from college. . .he did try to use it to challenge me when I said I was going vegan, by bringing up the bone-char issue in sugar but it was certainly refreshing to find an omni in Texas who was knowledgable about veg*nism! NO one could believe the mocha chip muffins I brought were vegan either. I even got recipe requests.
#840 Old 06-19-2006, 09:18 AM

What is "real" protien? I was unaware there was any difference.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page