Stupid things omnivores say... (Version 2.0) - Page 131 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#3901 Old 10-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rani View Post

I got the usual "what do you eat line" the other day. And the looks of pity on these people's faces when they found out I'm not just vegetarian but vegan. "No cheese?" *gasp* Then one of them says, "well there's fried potatoes, and mashed potatoes, and baked potatoes" How dumb are people?

I think next time I get a line like this I'll respond by saying this: Next time you're in a grocery store, go to the produce section and look around. I eat everything there and more.

Embarrassingly, the first vegan family I met was questioned by me in the same manner. Sure, it was 10 years ago but I still wince when I think about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3902 Old 10-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Embarrassingly, the first vegan family I met was questioned by me in the same manner. Sure, it was 10 years ago but I still wince when I think about it.

I used to say vegans were crazy and I could "never do it".

Obviously, I was wrong.
#3903 Old 10-22-2007, 04:14 PM

I'm also guilty of thinking veg*ns were crazy in the past, and being rather offensive about it as well. I'm terribly embarrassed about my behaviour back then, it's astonishing how much "meat guilt" can alter one's personality
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3904 Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Beginner

Haha, well... not only did I think veg*ns were totally crazy a few years ago, I didn't even know they existed (well, vegans at least, I knew about vegetarianism) until I saw "Super Size Me". I can't recall my exact words, but they were something like "What the heck? A vee-gun...? That lady is INSANE! Who doesn't eat cheese and eggs... and I thought vegetarians were bad. There's no way I could ever do that!" And now I am one of those insane people. Funny how that works
#3905 Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfInsane View Post

Haha, well... not only did I think veg*ns were totally crazy a few years ago, I didn't even know they existed (well, vegans at least, I knew about vegetarianism) until I saw "Super Size Me". I can't recall my exact words, but they were something like "What the heck? A vee-gun...? That lady is INSANE! Who doesn't eat cheese and eggs... and I thought vegetarians were bad. There's no way I could ever do that!" And now I am one of those insane people. Funny how that works

Yeah, I said on several occasions that there was no way I could give up cheese because it was a staple of my diet. And that soy milk was "probably gross". Silly me.
#3906 Old 10-23-2007, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfInsane View Post

In grade school, I knew one family of vegetarians. I hate to say it, but I made fun of the girl who was in my grade. Now that I'm a vegan, I feel horrible about that...
#3907 Old 10-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

My wife prepared a Vegan Soup...

Parent of the girls who my wife takes care of

Parent: Do you know the problem of this food?

My Wife: ???

Parent: When it does have that color... is healthy

My wife: ?!?!!?!?!?!?!??!

Parent: I won't eat it!

Then he went to his fridge, took a piece of cheese and a piece of bologna... He snatched it by one munch...
#3908 Old 10-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Chicagoan - what is your first language? Your posts are a delight to read.
#3909 Old 10-25-2007, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

My mom came into my room and asked what I was having for dinner.

Me: I don't know, I was thinking a pita with hummus, spinach, and mushrooms.

Her: Or you could have that salad with cranberries that we have.

Me: I don't like salad.

Her: It's funny, because Paul from work is a vegetarian, and he doesn't like salad either, but he does like croutons.

Me: Does Paul eat fish?

Her: No, he doesn't eat meat, fish, poultry (WHEN will people acknowledge that dead birds and fish fall under the category of meat?), or eggs.

Me: ...There's usually fish in croutons.

Her: He's not a vegan like you are!

Me: You just said he didn't eat fish...

Then, she storms out of the room and proceeds to come back with a bag of croutons and reads the label to me, triumphantly exclaiming that there's no fish. Then, she says that "all" that was in the other one was anchovy powder. I wonder, would people think it so inconsequential if that powder was made from, say, a dog? Probably not. In any case, all I was trying to say (and I told this to her as well) was that he was probably unaware that he was eating fish (however small an amount) each day for lunch, and that, if I were him, I would be very grateful if someone were to point this out to me.

I love my mother, and she's incredibly supportive of my veganism and everything. In fact, she's taking me to this little vegetarian cafe for lunch tomorrow. Sometimes, though, she is also immensely frustrating, especially when she misconstrues what I'm trying to say.
#3910 Old 10-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

....Me: ...There's usually fish in croutons.....

What? I've never seen croutons with fish....
#3911 Old 10-25-2007, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

What? I've never seen croutons with fish....

I don't really care for croutons anyway, but I never knew this.

Must not be all croutons that have fish in them.
#3912 Old 10-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Must not be all croutons that have fish in them.

No, not all of them do. It was kind of just a general wondering on my part, and she just flipped out.

Maybe fishy croutons are more prevalent in certain parts of the country/world?
#3913 Old 10-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Veggie Regular

i never knew ther would be fish power in croutons. i don't have them much anyway, but now i know to watch out if i do. i.e. not have them unless i can read the label.
#3914 Old 10-26-2007, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I got knocked off my bike by some idiot van driver who didn't even bother to stop a couple of days ago, and it's wrenched my back. I can't even put my own socks on at the moment! I went to the doctors, and was told i've got back problems because i'm vegan and not getting the right nutrients? I didn't have any back problems before the accident
#3915 Old 10-26-2007, 04:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I got knocked off my bike by some idiot van driver who didn't even bother to stop a couple of days ago, and it's wrenched my back. I can't even put my own socks on at the moment! I went to the doctors, and was told i've got back problems because i'm vegan and not getting the right nutrients? I didn't have any back problems before the accident

I hate that- when doctors blame health problems on veganism when there is clearly no direct correlation. Honestly, if my doctor said that to me I'd find a new one. I think it's ridiculous.
#3916 Old 10-26-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopedanny View Post

Does your doctor drive a van ?
#3917 Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sounds like it's time to find a doctor who didn't get his medical degree from a Cracker Jack box.

--Fromper

#3918 Old 10-26-2007, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sounds like a lazy doctor who's not doing his job. Good thing you are vegan. It might have taken longer to figure you need to switch doctors otherwise.
#3919 Old 10-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Do you know what you call someone who passes medical school with a D-?

Doctor.
#3920 Old 10-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

Do you know what you call someone who passes medical school with a D-?

Doctor.

That's realy not fair.
#3921 Old 10-26-2007, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

May not be fair, but it isn't far from true!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3922 Old 10-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Not all doctors are as 'dumb' as people complain. They're only human after all. My mother had to go to school for almost 13 years to become a doctor, and she is treated terribly by Kaiser and some of her patients. Just be lucky you have a doctor at all, because doctors are in short supply right now. My mother nearly quit her job a couple weeks ago because of how much they're forcing her to work and how bad they treat her.

I'm not saying what your doctor said wasn't ridiculous, but I felt the need to stand up for some of our other, very knowledgeable doctors.
#3923 Old 10-26-2007, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll stand up for the good doctors out there too. They do exist and they are a true blessing.

On the other hand, most doctors don't know anything about nutrition (don't ask how many times I've had to debunk nutrition myths that people tell me their doctor told them: eating fruit in the afternoon will make you fat, just eat red meat and leafy greens to lose weight, etc). At a meeting full of doctors (about 30-40), when asked how many had had a course in nutrition throughout their training, just ONE raised her hand. Scary.

Back on topic:

Old lady, lying in bed with uncontrollable diabetes (also on cholesterol-lowering medication), espousing the all-knowing power of Atkins. Atkins this, Atkins that, he had it right, he says this he says that. It took all of my willpower to not point out that her current condition was most likely due to her following the Atkins diet
#3924 Old 10-26-2007, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

You mean Fatkins? (Foamy quote, sorry)

I knew a 50 year old male who used to date my mother also on the Fatkins diet. Always said how great it was.

Pretty sure he's got type II diabetes now.
#3925 Old 10-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

It kind of scares me, actually. Between the rising rates of obesity and the "health conscious" (but misled) low-carbers (ie high meaters), I worry what is going to happen to the overall state of health in the world*..

(*Broad statement: obesity is rising in many countries, but certainly not all by any means)
#3926 Old 10-27-2007, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
It kind of scares me, actually. Between the rising rates of obesity and the "health conscious" (but misled) low-carbers (ie high meaters), I worry what is going to happen to the overall state of health in the world

I know. People need to go back to good, all natural foods, and realize that THAT is the most healthy way to eat, not limiting carbs and counting calories (though it's great that they're trying to do something for their health).
#3927 Old 10-27-2007, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and I saw this on another forum:

"I'm not a vegetarian but I'm against slaughterhouses (icky)."

#3928 Old 10-27-2007, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

Oh, and I saw this on another forum:

"I'm not a vegetarian but I'm against slaughterhouses (icky)."

Brilliant. How much of life is left if you're against all things 'icky'?
#3929 Old 10-27-2007, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I had a woman and her mother come in and ask for information on sodium, fat, and cholesterol. They had both been recently prescribed medication for diet-related ailments, and had been advised to cut down on these things in their diets.

They honestly had no idea what foods contain an abundance of sodium, fat, and cholesterol, or what a more healthful diet might look like. Later I noticed them pouring over the information and the woman saying to her mother, "See, Mom, you need to have things like turkey breast instead of canned meat like Spam. You can still eat Spam sometimes, just not all the time like you've been doing...."

It was pretty sad. So many people recieve no nutrition information whatsoever until they are faced with serious health problems.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#3930 Old 10-27-2007, 06:21 AM

My brother's back home on leave for a week. We were eating lunch and the spread my family has got has fish oil in for omega 3. This conversation happened:

Mum (while putting spread onto her bread): "Can't you use this stuff?"

Me: "No, it has fish oil in."

My brother: "You need fish in your diet, Annie, unless you want to take supplements."

Me: "Why? What has fish got in it that I can't get elsewhere?"

Him (pointing to the spread box.): Omega 3. Essential fatty acids."

Me: "Um.. you know linseed oil? It contains twice as much Omega 3 as fish oil." (As according to the Vegan Society website: http://www.vegansociety.com/html/foo...atty_acids.php)

Him (mumbling): It's disgusting.

Linseeds = flaxseeds BTW.

However, Mum did buy me vegan () dairy-free sunflower spread with added omega 3 and 6 from the supermarket today.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page