Stupid things omnivores say... (Version 2.0) - Page 130 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#3871 Old 10-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorjuice View Post

you may remember my post from last week on the syndicated recepie column whose meatless meal contained tuna. well, i would like to say that if there's an 'unclear on the concept' award, the autor of this column should be in the running.

this week's meatless recepie called for chicken broth.

*facepalm*

i'm wondering if i should even email this woman and call her on it. i feel that her previous email (quoted in my earlier post in this thread) made it quite clear that she feels that vegetarians consume some meat products. that challenges even my ability to talk to brick walls, which is legendary.

i have a feeling that her 'meatless' meal is actually a 'light' meal. part of me wants to tell her that if this is the case, she should call it light and not meatless. but the rest of me knows it's not my place to tell this woman how to do her job, and instead of letting her column piss me off, i should just not read it...

Well, I guess technically it is "meatless", but just not vegetarian. I can see how there could be confusion about it. Juice of meat doesn't necessarily = meat, even though vegetarians would tend to differ.

This lady is either deliberately missing the point or just doesn't get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3872 Old 10-18-2007, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by else View Post

I get pretty much the same stupid questions and comments everyone else heres gotten x.x

Though, I was really excited yesterday because I got paired up with this girl I never really talked to before for an assignment in school, so we started talking about stuff and she mentioned that she was a 'vegan', So I got pretty excited that I'd finally have someone to talk to about stuff, and was really happy and we got along great. Until today, when she invited me over to her place for lunch, And she asked what I wanted to eat and I couldn't really find anything in the fridge very vegan-friendly, so I told her whatever shes eating. So she started to make us some sandwiches with real ham , and I'm like 'Isn't that stuff real?'. She laughed and ate it, and told me that shes not really a vegan but only says she is when other people are around, then asked if I really am vegan and started criticizing me for it.

Needless to say I was pretty shocked and disgusted.

WTF?

I mean, I can understand bull****ting about something cool, like saying that you own a Ferrari, or claiming to be able to play the guitar, or claiming that you're fluent in five languages, but lying that you're vegan? I mean, what's next, claiming to be a Star Trek fan when you're not? Lying that you're a D&D player? Pretending to like They Might Be Giants?

Although I suppose pretending to be vegan could serve as a useful "generalized ******* detector," in that if you mention being vegan, and someone starts going off on a rant against you, you might generally have an idea that they're not pleasant people to hang out with in other ways, which is something you might not have found out until later if you honestly presented yourself as an omni. Still... weird.
#3873 Old 10-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorjuice View Post

you may remember my post from last week on the syndicated recepie column whose meatless meal contained tuna. well, i would like to say that if there's an 'unclear on the concept' award, the autor of this column should be in the running.

this week's meatless recepie called for chicken broth.

*facepalm*

i'm wondering if i should even email this woman and call her on it. i feel that her previous email (quoted in my earlier post in this thread) made it quite clear that she feels that vegetarians consume some meat products. that challenges even my ability to talk to brick walls, which is legendary.

i have a feeling that her 'meatless' meal is actually a 'light' meal. part of me wants to tell her that if this is the case, she should call it light and not meatless. but the rest of me knows it's not my place to tell this woman how to do her job, and instead of letting her column piss me off, i should just not read it...

I'd write to her and complain again. Be sure to remind her of last week's complaint when you do it. Maybe mention this thread in your letter, just to make sure she realizes how much of an idiot we all think she is.

Then, I'd write to her editor, the newspaper who publishes her column, and anyone else who might control her paychecks. The more complaints she gets (both to her face and to her bosses), the more likely it is that something will change.

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3874 Old 10-19-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idhan View Post

WTF?

I mean, I can understand bull****ting about something cool, like saying that you own a Ferrari, or claiming to be able to play the guitar, or claiming that you're fluent in five languages, but lying that you're vegan? I mean, what's next, claiming to be a Star Trek fan when you're not? Lying that you're a D&D player? Pretending to like They Might Be Giants?

haha, good example.. except, I don't think They Might Be Giants should ever be joked about like that!

you might as well just go ahead and say you don't eat.., that you're anorexic or not the smartest person on the earth.

any way you put it, it's a waste of breathe.

I guess I'm pretty lucky, people are just curious more than anything, my friends will make jokes rarely, but I always have some type of comeback.
#3875 Old 10-19-2007, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I get pretty much the same stupid questions and comments everyone else heres gotten x.x

Though, I was really excited yesterday because I got paired up with this girl I never really talked to before for an assignment in school, so we started talking about stuff and she mentioned that she was a 'vegan', So I got pretty excited that I'd finally have someone to talk to about stuff, and was really happy and we got along great. Until today, when she invited me over to her place for lunch, And she asked what I wanted to eat and I couldn't really find anything in the fridge very vegan-friendly, so I told her whatever shes eating. So she started to make us some sandwiches with real ham , and I'm like 'Isn't that stuff real?'. She laughed and ate it, and told me that shes not really a vegan but only says she is when other people are around, then asked if I really am vegan and started criticizing me for it.

Needless to say I was pretty shocked and disgusted.

I find that funny. When I was vegan, I'd try and wait til the last minute to inform someone of it. Being vegetarian, I still don't like making it public.
#3876 Old 10-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Boyfriend: I want to take you out to dinner, but I don't know where I can take you since you're vegetarian.

Ah, I had a good laugh.
#3877 Old 10-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Ben

School Person: You should eat meat.

Me: Why?

School Person: It tastes so good.

Me: So I should be selfish enough to fund the killing of animals just so I can get some food?

School Person: But God put animals on Earth for us to eat!

Me: God? I thought you were an athiest?

School Person: I am. But animals are just here for food!

Me: So I assume you'll be eating your cat soon?

School Person: Umm.....yes?

School kid: You're a vegetarian?

Me: Yes.

School kid: Idiot! (Actually he used a slightly stronger word than that)

Me: Why am I an idiot?

School kid: You don't eat meat! Go get some protein!

Other person: Well actually, there are serveral foods without meat that have protein-

School Kid: Are you a vegetarian?

Other person: Well no, I'm just saying that-

School kid: Well then stay out of this NOOB!
#3878 Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'll have to tell her that tommorrow :P

She tried to defend eating fish by saying they have no memory, so (since I wasn't sure if that was true or not?) I asked if it was okay to eat an Alzheimer's patient.

Nice! Quick thinking on the Alzheimer's question. I never seem to come back with snappy ones so well.
#3879 Old 10-19-2007, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idhan View Post

WTF?

Although I suppose pretending to be vegan could serve as a useful "generalized ******* detector," in that if you mention being vegan, and someone starts going off on a rant against you, you might generally have an idea that they're not pleasant people to hang out with in other ways, which is something you might not have found out until later if you honestly presented yourself as an omni. Still... weird.

You know, I think a lot of people lie about it. I know a few people who claimed to be vegetarian simply for the status. This is where all the bull**** about veg*ns eating chicken, or fish or whatever comes from. It's people who aren't, but want people to think they are so that they look interesting. Idiots.
#3880 Old 10-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

<-- D&D playing TMBG listening-to vegan Star Trek fan.
#3881 Old 10-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

You ROCK!
#3882 Old 10-20-2007, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post

School Person: You should eat meat.

School kid: You're a vegetarian?

Me: Yes.

School kid: Idiot! (Actually he used a slightly stronger word than that)

Me: Why am I an idiot?

School kid: You don't eat meat! Go get some protein!

Other person: Well actually, there are serveral foods without meat that have protein-

School Kid: Are you a vegetarian?

Other person: Well no, I'm just saying that-

School kid: Well then stay out of this NOOB!

What? How can a person be so rude and annoying?

"Go get some protein"

Oh and now he cares about you?

I never had someone calling me an idiot because I was vegetarian. But be sure that after such a comment I would come pretty hard on him. Grrrrrrrrrrr

I hate when people are intolerant but intolerant and insulting...I would
#3883 Old 10-20-2007, 02:14 AM

Some time ago I was hanging out with some people (barely know them so won't call them friends). And they got into talking about weird French foods and ask how could my people eat such disgusting things.

Me: Well I'm not French! (but I speak French) and I'm a vegetarian so I certainly don't eat frog legs, (long list of really not good looking dishes)

Guy # 1: So you don't eat any kind of animals? Why?

Me: No because I think it's cruel.

Guy # 1 in a nice and joking way: Oh but I only eat animals that didn't suffer and grew up very happily. I don't eat the ones who dies in a cruel way.

Guy #2: But who cares if they suffered. I don't care, they taste good. (and he had that look in his face: That is just the weirdest thing I ever heard)

How can people (guy #2) think that such "details" don't matter to us? I'm sorry but he really dropped into my estime.

Guy # 1, on the other hand, eats meat and probably doesn't think that much about it but at least he is smart enough to realize that if I'm a vegetarian animal pain matters to me.

I might be superficial but I will judge people on how much empathy they might have with my feelings.
#3884 Old 10-20-2007, 06:00 AM
Beginner

I was at the chipshop, got a salad in pitta bread, and the woman next to me goes "no meat?", "no.." "are you a vegetarian?" "yes.." "*snorts*"

I felt like telling her to mind her own business ¬_¬
#3885 Old 10-20-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezzie View Post

I was at the chipshop, got a salad in pitta bread, and the woman next to me goes "no meat?", "no.." "are you a vegetarian?" "yes.." "*snorts*"

I felt like telling her to mind her own business ¬_¬

Would it be OK to add the puppy argument here?

Meat? I have some left over of fried puppy leg (? what piece of the puppy would be good fried?), I'll add it to the pita at home.

I mean VEGETARIAN ????. I'm not one of those freaks
#3886 Old 10-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Beginner

A Midwestern sub chain features a veggie sub. After becoming vegan (and before learning that their bread is not vegan), I asked for it without the cheese or mayo. I came to dread going into our local store, because one of the workers (I think he was actually the manager) would say, "No cheese or mayo on the veggie sub? What's left?" "Umm, veggies," I would reply. Or he'd look at me, look at the description of the sandwich, and just shake his head. The last two times I was in there, the cheese showed up on the sandwich regardless. . . I was almost glad to find out that their bread isn't vegan, because I was tired of having defend my choice and/or manually remove cheese from the sandwich each time.
#3887 Old 10-20-2007, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Uhh ohh... Which sub chain's bread isn't vegan?
#3888 Old 10-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that people often think that it's a calorie issue, particularly when a girl orders things without cheese or mayo. I've had people think that about me, and I find it annoying; when I was a server, and these emaciated girls would come in and order a burger with no bun, no cheese, no mayo, it annoyed me. I know it's really all in my head, but I hate that people might think that's the case when I order stuff with no mayo or cheese. I think it's because it undermines my motives so much.
#3889 Old 10-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

One thing I can tell you is that at Subway, only the white bread is vegan.
#3890 Old 10-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Beginner

Quote:

The one I was referring to is Jimmy John's. I don't know how far east/west the chains go. Apparently, it's hard to get a straight answer out of them about the veganness of their bread, but people who emailed several times were eventually told that it was not vegan.

nookle - That's a good point about people thinking it's a calorie thing. I find that very annoying too. It's as if they're assuming your reasons must be petty when they don't even know you.
#3891 Old 10-21-2007, 06:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
nookle - That's a good point about people thinking it's a calorie thing. I find that very annoying too. It's as if they're assuming your reasons must be petty when they don't even know you.

I wouldn't go so far as to call the reasons petty, especially because for some people "the calorie thing" escalates into an eating disorder.

It is annoying, though.

Quote:
One thing I can tell you is that at Subway, only the white bread is vegan.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks. =)
#3892 Old 10-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Someone told me a couple of days ago (on AIM, so I can't tell whether they were being serious or just trying to wind me up) that if someone is a veg*n for a really long time then their bones turn green! He tried to tell me that some scientists found it out after doing an autopsy on Hitler

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#3893 Old 10-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I wouldn't go so far as to call the reasons petty, especially because for some people "the calorie thing" escalates into an eating disorder.

True. I wasn't thinking about it that way.

It immediately strikes me as sexist when someone assumes I eat only bread and veggies because I don't want to put on weight, but maybe gender has nothing to do with it. They should see the way I eat at home!
#3894 Old 10-21-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manics_fan View Post

Someone told me a couple of days ago (on AIM, so I can't tell whether they were being serious or just trying to wind me up) that if someone is a veg*n for a really long time then their bones turn green! He tried to tell me that some scientists found it out after doing an autopsy on Hitler

LOL !!!!!!!!!!!

So much wrong in that story that I don't know where to start.

Maybe...his bones were out of green jello ?

Good one though.
#3895 Old 10-21-2007, 02:23 PM

Me and my OH got home from work about 3 1/2 hrs ago. He had a warm sausage roll as a snack (he's still omni ) I grabbed a few nuts. 30mins ago I had a mooche in the cuboard and started to make something. He came up behind me and started winding me up.

I told him ' Can I get something to eat please? At least you've had a sausage roll, I had half a dozen nuts'

He said, 'but you had a sausage roll too, so don't say you haven't had anything'

I was taken aback and managed to say, 'no I didn't.. why would I eat... oh nevermind'

I was just thinking to myself... ' you idiot... when was the last time you saw me eat meat?' I mean i'm sure a sausage roll has some parts of animal in. Has it not sunk in yet that I DONT EAT ANIMALS???

He has 'forgot' several times that I am veggie gggrrr.

Though it's not half as bad as some of the stuff which has been mentioned.

The only other thing is my FMIL gasping when I told her I was going veggie. Telling me all about my OH's Ex-Stepmother who was veggie. Apparently she was always ill, and looking pale. She never ate propally. She also had annorexia......
#3896 Old 10-22-2007, 02:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by manics_fan View Post

LOL they MUST have been jokeing. I mean, hitler wasnt even really vegetarian. lol
#3897 Old 10-22-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicCandle View Post

LOL they MUST have been jokeing. I mean, hitler wasnt even really vegetarian. lol

not to mention that, iirc, he was cremated.
#3898 Old 10-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I was talking to my landlord about Thanksgiving. I was telling him how my mom was trying to think of vegetarian dishes just for me. And I told him how I didnt want her to prepare Thanksgiving around me when we have a big family to think of--just for her to cook as usual and I will bring a veggie side dish. Anyway--he said "Dont you think you are going just a little overboard? You can eat a little turkey for Thanksgiving. Your whole holiday is going to be ruined. Have you gone crazy?"

Well I never cared for turkey before I was vegetarian. I just smiled and told him that and that I was enjoying being vegetarian. But how am I going overboard?!?!? I just dont get it. I am not asking for any special allowances. My mother is so sweet she is worried to death I will starve and wants to fix it all just for me and I told her not to. I dont think I am overboard at all.
#3899 Old 10-22-2007, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

No, you're not going overboard. People put too much emphasis on food and not enough on companionship. Who cares what you eat, as long as you're with your family and everyone is having fun?
#3900 Old 10-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I got the usual "what do you eat line" the other day. And the looks of pity on these people's faces when they found out I'm not just vegetarian but vegan. "No cheese?" *gasp* Then one of them says, "well there's fried potatoes, and mashed potatoes, and baked potatoes" How dumb are people?

I think next time I get a line like this I'll respond by saying this: Next time you're in a grocery store, go to the produce section and look around. I eat everything there and more.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page