Stupid things omnivores say... (Version 2.0) - Page 129 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
Closed Thread

#3841 Old 10-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

my sister buys it too, she IS a fish eating vegetarian! Actually in the last few months she's finally accepted that she is a pescatarian. woooo!

i hate that magazine

one page its "i have an eating disorder cause of jamie oliver!!" (yes, really) followed by "look at these celebrities amazing curves" then you turn over and its some ridiculous apple and celery diet plan! every week its a new bleeding diet. one week i was reading through it and it didnt have a diet in it, i almost wrote in to congratulate them!

to stick to stupid things, on the subject of my sister. the reason she went 'vegetarian' was because she went to a barbeque with a new boyfriend, and the meat was really badly cooked so she just said she was veggie - and it stuck ever since! i used to get whined at about how unhealthy it was too, haha. now she thinks being vegans stupid, i give it 2 years before she joins in haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3842 Old 10-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

This isn't really stupid, just kind of funny and yet another example of how badly misinformed the general public is.

me- I'm a vegetarian, don't eat anything with a brain

her- don't fish have brains?

me- yes they do and thats why i say that instead of i dont eat meat

I explained the differences and had her watch "Meet your Meat" and we now have one less confused omni. Maybe even a future vegetarian. She currently eats only shellfish and shrimp and is considering going all the way.
#3843 Old 10-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Banned

I am an on again off again veggie... sorta. I love meat but only eat it occasionally, so I don't label my self a veg... i don't like labels anyways.

But any ways, one of my best friends has been a veg for like 12 years or something. I would always joke with her, "food taste so much better when it has a sole." Before you through banana peels at me, its a play on the line from the Simpson's and we're both huge fans so its all in fun, no hard feelings between us over it or nothing.. its all fun.. for both of us, so don't kill me for sayin it.

Lisa talked her family into going vegetarian and they all get sick from meat withdraws so the next day they ate KFC or something and all felt better so Bart said, "From now on I only eat food that had a sole." Maybe an inside joke to some, but pretty funny.

BTW she makes jokes on me all the time when I eat meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#3844 Old 10-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular

'sole' is spelled 'soul'

*shot*
#3845 Old 10-13-2007, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

One of my coworkers was like, "So if someone cooked and prepared a venus flytrap would a vegan eat it?"

ok that person is a jack @ss. the venus fly trap 'closes its mouth' not by muscle... its a biochemical reaction

freakin omnis

#3846 Old 10-13-2007, 06:54 PM
Banned

Yeah speeling is not my strong point

I figured I was probably wrong while typing it but figured oh well haha.

What does the "*shot*" mean?
#3847 Old 10-13-2007, 06:59 PM

Husband: "what is really funny is that you eat those buns all the time and they have butter on the top"

me: "are you freakin kidding me? don't you think I would of checked on that in that last 3 years?"

Husband: "you can see it on top!"

me: "soooo, yellow and shiney equal butter?"

Husband: "well, duh"

me: "I should probably stay away from corn, squash, bell peppers..."

really- after 2 bachelor's degrees, this is what we get? I love him- and I wanted to smack it right into him that day
#3848 Old 10-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
BTW she makes jokes on me all the time when I eat meat.

Well, I can relate to that... I call my mom a flesh-eating zombie when she eats meat in front of me.
#3849 Old 10-14-2007, 01:19 PM
Beginner

One of the most annoying ones for me has been someone saying, "You'd better not be vegan if you decide to get pregnant" (followed by the comment that my child wouldn't be vegan if I was feeding him/her human breast milk - what?).

At the time, I just didn't have the energy to go into how much worse it would be to carry a child who was prenatally ingesting growth hormones and other toxins as a result of my meat/milk consumption. . . Though I did add to the breastfeeding comment that if we were all calves, drinking cows milk would be natural too.

Btw, this is a great thread, but I admit I haven't read through all almost-400 pages. . . So I'm sorry if someone has already brought this up.
#3850 Old 10-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
One of the most annoying ones for me has been someone saying, "You'd better not be vegan if you decide to get pregnant" (followed by the comment that my child wouldn't be vegan if I was feeding him/her human breast milk - what?).

At the time, I just didn't have the energy to go into how much worse it would be to carry a child who was prenatally ingesting growth hormones and other toxins as a result of my meat/milk consumption. . . Though I did add to the breastfeeding comment that if we were all calves, drinking cows milk would be natural too.

Agh, people are so ridiculous sometimes! Just reply with "You better not eat that whopper if you're going to get pregnant!"
#3851 Old 10-14-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alli View Post

Well, I can relate to that... I call my mom a flesh-eating zombie when she eats meat in front of me.

I try to leave my mom alone, but one day she got on my nerves so I said something about raising compassionate kids while she was cutting up a chicken for dinner.

she's all: I really don't want to talk about this right now

so I said: if it makes you uncomfortable, maybe you should recheck you actions

hm- and then I was kicked out a few days later. really
- people can be touchy
#3852 Old 10-15-2007, 02:22 AM

Last night, dinner with my parents, sister and boyfriend:

Mum: You know, one of my co-workers only eats macrobiotic food. She said you're vegetarian because you eat dairy and eggs

Me: Mum, I'm lacto-ovo-vegetarian. *explained briefly the different kinds of vegetarians* Besides, the macrobiotic diet includes fish and meat.

Mom: Oh, but she doesn't eat meat or fish. And she only drinks soy milk and have soy yogurts.

Me: Well, that's good for her, maybe she doesn't like meat/fish.

Mum: A couple that spent their holidays with us were vegetarian and sometimes went fishing and ate the fish.

Me: Then they weren't vegetarian, they were pescetarian.

Mum: But they only ate fish once and a while.

Me: It doesn't matter mum, if they eat fish they're not vegetarian.

Sister: You know, you shouldn't cut out meat and fish. They have "stuff" that you need.

Me: And don't you think I've read everything about being vegetarian?*brief explanation on proteins and nutrients*

Sister:*skeptic look on her face*

BF: Oh, don't worry... She'll give up after 4 or 5 months.

So basically I had a dinner were I had to struggle through the main misconceptions of being vegetarian.

Dharma
#3853 Old 10-15-2007, 03:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I try to leave my mom alone, but one day she got on my nerves so I said something about raising compassionate kids while she was cutting up a chicken for dinner.

she's all: I really don't want to talk about this right now

so I said: if it makes you uncomfortable, maybe you should recheck you actions

hm- and then I was kicked out a few days later. really- people can be touchy

Wow, that sucks.
#3854 Old 10-16-2007, 07:13 PM

i work in a craft store. this is the time of year when fourth graders (who have to do a local history curriculum) are learning about native american cultures, so they're all making longhouse models. this morning, a mom comes in with her son's list and gets all the stuff on it. as the woman was unloading the items onto the counter, one of my coworkers menioned the piece of rabbit fur the woman was holding. the woman said, 'i didn't get any rabbit fur.' the coworker took the rabbit fur from the woman and said, 'this used to be a bunny.' the customer was somewhat grossed out.
#3855 Old 10-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alligatorjuice View Post

i work in a craft store. this is the time of year when fourth graders (who have to do a local history curriculum) are learning about native american cultures, so they're all making longhouse models. this morning, a mom comes in with her son's list and gets all the stuff on it. as the woman was unloading the items onto the counter, one of my coworkers menioned the piece of rabbit fur the woman was holding. the woman said, 'i didn't get any rabbit fur.' the coworker took the rabbit fur from the woman and said, 'this used to be a bunny.' the customer was somewhat grossed out.

lol I applaud the coworker.
#3856 Old 10-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

This has still been bugging me so I figured I'd post about it and get over it-lol.

So I'm talking to my Husband the other night and we're talking about moving to the country, buying some land and living "off the grid". This has been our dream for a very long time now and it's getting closer. He's telling me how he wants to learn to fish (he's an omni) and asks how I feel about that. So I tell him I don't agree with it. He then asks if I would go fishing with him.

??!?! (Hi, I'm your wife. Have we met?)

He asks if I'd catch and release since they don't die or anything. It's these little questions from him that sometimes make me wonder if he understands my vegetarianism completely. I, of course, tell him no that I would not catch and release. After he explains that they don't die and it's not really against the "vegetarian rules" (which I never got a copy of, apparently), I ask him how he would feel if he were reaching in the fridge for a snack and suddenly his hand was hooked and he was dragged through the fridge into a completely foreign place where he couldn't breath nor could he get free... only to be let go by having the hook ripped out.

He stared at me funny. I kissed him and said I couldn't understand why anyone would want to torture another living creature for fun... but whatever he felt he had to do, to go for it, and have fun- without me.

Ok now I can get over it Phew!
#3857 Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

From an article called 'Is a Vegetarian diet Healthy' sent to my email (I get a ton of bulk email that I signed up for)

----Just four per cent of Canadians consider themselves vegetarians. "Many people are meat-nibblers and still view themselves as vegetarians. More traditional vegetarians ... limit their choices to plant foods, dairy products and meat alternatives with the occasional touch of chicken or fish," says a National Institute of Nutrition statement.---
#3858 Old 10-17-2007, 07:26 PM

I get pretty much the same stupid questions and comments everyone else heres gotten x.x

Though, I was really excited yesterday because I got paired up with this girl I never really talked to before for an assignment in school, so we started talking about stuff and she mentioned that she was a 'vegan', So I got pretty excited that I'd finally have someone to talk to about stuff, and was really happy and we got along great. Until today, when she invited me over to her place for lunch, And she asked what I wanted to eat and I couldn't really find anything in the fridge very vegan-friendly, so I told her whatever shes eating. So she started to make us some sandwiches with real ham , and I'm like 'Isn't that stuff real?'. She laughed and ate it, and told me that shes not really a vegan but only says she is when other people are around, then asked if I really am vegan and started criticizing me for it.

Needless to say I was pretty shocked and disgusted.
#3859 Old 10-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

"From an article called 'Is a Vegetarian diet Healthy' sent to my email (I get a ton of bulk email that I signed up for)

----Just four per cent of Canadians consider themselves vegetarians. "Many people are meat-nibblers and still view themselves as vegetarians. More traditional vegetarians ... limit their choices to plant foods, dairy products and meat alternatives with the occasional touch of chicken or fish," says a National Institute of Nutrition statement.---"

#3860 Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 PM

^ I was arguing with my other friend the other day, she thinks that people who eat fish and animal byproducts are considered 'vegetarian' and I just sort of looked at her with a blank state :/
#3861 Old 10-17-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by else View Post

^ I was arguing with my other friend the other day, she thinks that people who eat fish and animal byproducts are considered 'vegetarian' and I just sort of looked at her with a blank state :/

For byproducts, ask her if someone ate boiled puppy tendons and bones, would she consider them to have eaten dog?

For *some* reason, most omnis tend to backpedal when you bring in puppies.
#3862 Old 10-17-2007, 07:37 PM

I'll have to tell her that tommorrow :P

She tried to defend eating fish by saying they have no memory, so (since I wasn't sure if that was true or not?) I asked if it was okay to eat an Alzheimer's patient.
#3863 Old 10-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Great idea to use puppies! I'll keep that in mind when having "the talk" with my fiance when he comes home from iraq. He knows about my decision but we haven't been able to talk about it. We have a mini daschund so it'll have maximum effect
#3864 Old 10-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I get pretty much the same stupid questions and comments everyone else heres gotten x.x

Though, I was really excited yesterday because I got paired up with this girl I never really talked to before for an assignment in school, so we started talking about stuff and she mentioned that she was a 'vegan', So I got pretty excited that I'd finally have someone to talk to about stuff, and was really happy and we got along great. Until today, when she invited me over to her place for lunch, And she asked what I wanted to eat and I couldn't really find anything in the fridge very vegan-friendly, so I told her whatever shes eating. So she started to make us some sandwiches with real ham , and I'm like 'Isn't that stuff real?'. She laughed and ate it, and told me that shes not really a vegan but only says she is when other people are around, then asked if I really am vegan and started criticizing me for it.

oh my god
#3865 Old 10-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

That's just disgusting! I'd like to hit her over the head with a tofurkey loaf for that one. Then I'd rip her a new one for being insensitive.
#3866 Old 10-18-2007, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Mmmmm Puppies are tastier when they are really cute! Or how about roasted fluffy kittens? lol Why do some people think its ok to eat uncute animals, like being ugly means you have to die. Its stupid.
#3867 Old 10-18-2007, 11:57 AM

I read an article a while back in CosmoGirl Magazine (a teen/young adult version of Cosmopolitan, for anyone who doesn't know) that recommended drinking soymilk because of some health benefit of soy. It then said, exact quote,

"That doesn't mean you should stop drinking cow's milk (you need it for healthy bones)".

Also, the word "need" was italicized in the quote. They had to emphasize it as much as possible, people!

Um, maybe they should look at the calcium content in a carton of Silk soymilk and a carton of cow's milk and notice they are exactly the same.

Also, the same magazine had an article about healthy eating for (lacto-ovo) vegetarians. The article was good, except that at the bottom there was a section with a list of signs that vegetarianism may not be for you, and one of the signs was you have a very busy schedule. The reason they stated for this being one of the reasons is that vegetarians have to do a lot of menu planning and eat a wide variety of foods to get the nutrients they need. What is it that is in meat that excuses it's consumers from having to watch their nutrient intake and eat a variety of foods?
#3868 Old 10-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Samantha* View Post

I read an article a while back in CosmoGirl Magazine (a teen/young adult version of Cosmopolitan, for anyone who doesn't know) that recommended drinking soymilk because of some health benefit of soy. It then said, exact quote,

"That doesn't mean you should stop drinking cow's milk (you need it for healthy bones)".

Also, the word "need" was italicized in the quote. They had to emphasize it as much as possible, people!

Um, maybe they should look at the calcium content in a carton of Silk soymilk and a carton of cow's milk and notice they are exactly the same.

Also, the same magazine had an article about healthy eating for (lacto-ovo) vegetarians. The article was good, except that at the bottom there was a section with a list of signs that vegetarianism may not be for you, and one of the signs was you have a very busy schedule. The reason they stated for this being one of the reasons is that vegetarians have to do a lot of menu planning and eat a wide variety of foods to get the nutrients they need. What is it that is in meat that excuses it's consumers from having to watch their nutrient intake and eat a variety of foods?

Oh geez! The dairy industry sure does have a strangle hold on consumers about the "benefits" of dairy.

The only menu planning I have to do to get my nutrients is deciding if I want tofu or tempeh for lunch.
#3869 Old 10-18-2007, 02:47 PM

"You're not eating the animals soul, just the flesh."
#3870 Old 10-18-2007, 07:08 PM

you may remember my post from last week on the syndicated recepie column whose meatless meal contained tuna. well, i would like to say that if there's an 'unclear on the concept' award, the autor of this column should be in the running.

this week's meatless recepie called for chicken broth.

*facepalm*

i'm wondering if i should even email this woman and call her on it. i feel that her previous email (quoted in my earlier post in this thread) made it quite clear that she feels that vegetarians consume some meat products. that challenges even my ability to talk to brick walls, which is legendary.

i have a feeling that her 'meatless' meal is actually a 'light' meal. part of me wants to tell her that if this is the case, she should call it light and not meatless. but the rest of me knows it's not my place to tell this woman how to do her job, and instead of letting her column piss me off, i should just not read it...
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page