VeggieBoards banner

Omnivorous housemates...

843 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  piratemoon 
#1 ·
So yesterday I could smell this weird and horrible stench, and I couldn't figure out what it was. Turned out to be my flatmates cooking bacon sandwiches. When I went veggie I always said that they could cook what they want, and it has never bothered me before, but yesterday it was awful. I felt really sick. That hasn't happened to me before.

Does this happen to other people? How do you cope with living in omni households? I don't like to force my views on other people, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'm too passive.

#2 ·
I live with my dad (I know I'm 24 but he doesn't have anyone else) and he's a big meat eater. I don't push my restrictions on him because I wouldn't want him to do the same to me. Of course, there's no reason why you shouldn't tell them about your beliefs and why you have them. But if the smell really makes you sick you could either ask them to not cook it when you're around or ask them to let you know in advance so you can make sure you're somewhere else or put on a gasmask when they cook it. Just make sure you don't make it sound like an attack, otherwise it could become very divisive and a stressful home is horrible for your health. I know how stinky bacon can be and I've never liked it and never understood why everyone else did. Maybe putting the oven vent/fan will help reduce the smell. Just try to be understanding and hope they do the same.

HTH,

~Wonder

#3 ·
I live with two omnivore roommates. I don't like the smell of most things they eat, especially my one roomie who is always cooking fishy stuff which smells HORRIBLE. But she is considerate enough to put the fan on and open the window when she cooks meat...and I didn't even have to ask her to do that

Anyway, since you already told them they can cook what they want, it wouldn't be very fair to suddenly ask them to stop cooking bacon. You could try asking them to open the window next time they cook meat. It works well for me...the smell diffuses within an hour or so. I usually open the window in my room and close my door if the smell is really bad. If they ask questions, just casually explain that you have a sensitive nose and a weak stomach...they may feel guilty/worried about making you puke and stop cooking flesh sandwiches when you're home, or they may not stop *shrugs* we all gotta make compromises right?

#4 ·
My ex-husband was an omnivore. I was ok with it then, or so I thought...but I've worked very long and hard to maintain a totally vegetarian house and kitchen. I would have an EXTREMELY difficult time sharing space with an omnivore now...

The smell of meat cooking makes me absolutely gag, and I would be VERY anal about cleaning....

Also, I really want to set a good example for my kids and I feel it would be going back on all that I've preached and the values I've instilled in them if I suddenly had an omni roommate... it's not worth it to me at this point in my kids' lives...

So - yeah, I guess I didn't have a whole lot to add here, just spouting off my opinion...

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

I live with two omnivore roommates. I don't like the smell of most things they eat, especially my one roomie who is always cooking fishy stuff which smells HORRIBLE. But she is considerate enough to put the fan on and open the window when she cooks meat...and I didn't even have to ask her to do that
What a nice roommate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

Anyway, since you already told them they can cook what they want, it wouldn't be very fair to suddenly ask them to stop cooking bacon.
You're abslutely right, and I wouldn't ask them to.

Thanks for all your help guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.