Vegetarian/Vegan Fast Food Resturant! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Veggie Regular

no one steal my idea plzkthx !

i want to make a vegetarian/vegan fast food resturant, but with healthy food.

i was wondering what you people think would be good things to have on the menu(obviously theres only going to be one resturant, unless maybe i expand and get really rich :P )

and i was also wondering if anyone has any info on super veg friendly cities that i could start out in. so not fun starting in a place thats tottaly agianst the idea . im thinking texas is out of the question, which is okay, i dont like texas.

any ideas ANYONE has are going to be incorperated into this project. i was thinking of using recycleable materials for all the food containers, and having recycle bins in the resturant to contain them, having a a menu with vegan items, ovo-lacto items, and raw items.

another thing is having kids meals(oh my god!) but i want to make sure all the toys they get are educational(maybe different plastic animals that are endangered with a paper telling about the animal), I want to make sure all the toys are NON-sweat shop made, so sorry, no disney characters.

instead of just salads or veggie burger options we have now, i want to have a bunch of different stuff, any one have any ideas? shout them out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-17-2006, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I've wanted to do this for years. I even have a name: Unbelievable!

You want to start with menu items that are familiar and comfortable: burgers, fries, etc... You will need to appeal to the wider audience, not just veg*ns, to make it work.

Restaurants are notoriously risky business ventures. Catering to a niche market is gonna be even riskier.

And don't write off Texas. Dallas has a good sized progressive/liberal community, as does Austin.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#3 Old 02-17-2006, 03:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I was going to say that you could start by stealing ideas from the Mr Goodburger website... but I can't find it online anywhere. I wonder if that restaurant closed? It was a vegan fastfood restaurant somewhere in Hawaii.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-17-2006, 04:09 AM

This isn't a bad idea, but aren't veg*ns more likely to not eat fast food? With the name it has to be catchy, smart, and memorable maybe like "Power Plant" or something like that. If you make it in Chicago, I'll visit. Make it on the NW side and I'll visit frequently

~Wonder
#5 Old 02-17-2006, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

i would serve veggie burgers, (vegan and vegetarian), veggie nugs (health is wealth so vegans could eat them too), BOTH regular AND sweet potato fries, hummus and pita breads/fresh veggies, roasted veggie shish kebabs..

but it also depends on what type of crowd you're trying to appeal to.. are you trying to appeal to the veg*n who would have gone to McD's or BK were they non-veg? or are you trying to appeal to the veg*an who prefers bagel shops and sub shops?... or a little of both?
#6 Old 02-17-2006, 07:06 AM
Veggie Regular

There's a very successful chain of thrree healthy fast food restaurants here in Tampa Bay. They serve burgers, smoothies, salads and healthy french fries (not fried), and a kids menu. They are not a vegetarian restaurant however. http://www.evos.com/home.cfm

Good luck. I don't know about super veg friendly cities.
#7 Old 02-17-2006, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

A wrap-themed place would likely work reasonably well. The theme would lend an identity, and allow for a variety of ingredients while keeping the process streamlined. Think Subway or Taco del Mar.

Siting would be critical, eg. close to a big university. Opening up this sort of place in an industrial area would be begging to lose.
#8 Old 02-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

If you implement this idea, I think I will still carry potato fries too.

Tofu fries! Nice long strips of crisp tofu yumminess!

Offer ketchup, fo course, but also a spicy ketchup featuring Srirchan sauce. The tofu fries with the spicy ketchup is a favorite yummy snack of mine.
#9 Old 02-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

And I don't know why, but even if you're selling burgers and fries, you must have fruit smoothies.

As far as places to start are concerned, I would consider health-concious South Florida, though you will see competition from health-conscious places with vegetarian options, which are numerous. There might be a few places in Alabama which would make good starting points -- try to find areas where the Seventh Day Adventists are influential -- ie., a Seventh Day Adventist college/seminary. The Northwestern US -- Washington and Oregon would be good places, as would California.

You could try here in Albuquerque if you can find a spot close to the University.
#10 Old 02-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

There's a vegetarian fast food restaurant in Pasadena: http://www.oreanshealthexpress.com/default.asp

I've been there, and I wasn't that impressed. It's not 100% vegan. The place has no indoor seating, and in general is really showing its age. There are some healthy choices on the menu, although I didn't dine there for my health especially. I'd probably visit it occasionally if it were closer to home though.
#11 Old 02-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

california (at least southern) is very health oriented, would be a great place to start (orange county).
#12 Old 02-17-2006, 11:24 AM

The folly of making a fast food restraunt, however, is that it would be impossible to make it healthy AND cheap AND make money off of it. Quality products cost money, and if it costs you 2.50 for the ingredients of a buritto you're selling for 1.00, it defeats the whole purpose.

I worked at Taco Bell and for a bean burrito without cheese for 99 cents, you are getting freeze dried beans prepared with boiling water, red sauce made from chemically created powder also prepared with boiling water, and yucky onions devoid of any nutrition pre-died and shippeed to the restraunt in a huge bag. These cost about 20 cents to create, not counting the cheap labor of the unhappy workers, and so they are making money by selling plastic that tastes good.

You also would have to think about what big corporations like the fast food industry do. They destroy small businesses, which is one of the reasons why we now have enormous factory farms rather than small family-run farms where animals were treated more humanely.

Sorry to burst your bubble, if you can still figure a way to persue your dream power to you, just a reality check here.
#13 Old 02-17-2006, 12:54 PM

There's a place called Vegan Express in Los Angeles/Hollywood... I've never been there actually, but the name does at least make it sound like fast food vegan, but not sure if it actually is (fast food style i mean). But might be worth researching..
#14 Old 02-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

i was thinking something like tempeh burgers or something else thats not super processed, with lots of veggies on it. and oven baked fries, i was also thinking hummus pitas, seasonal veggie and fruit cups with dip. smoothies seem like a good idea too, i didnt think of that.

as far as i know vegetables cost less then meat, it wouldnt be too bad. taco bell probably has super cheap ingredients for the veg foods because they spend most of their budget on ground beef...? just a shot in the dark.
#15 Old 02-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

It's more like a sit-in type place with a Thai influence -- or that's what I gather from a quick google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGal View Post

There's a place called Vegan Express in Los Angeles/Hollywood... I've never been there actually, but the name does at least make it sound like fast food vegan, but not sure if it actually is (fast food style i mean). But might be worth researching..

#16 Old 02-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter View Post

I was going to say that you could start by stealing ideas from the Mr Goodburger website... but I can't find it online anywhere. I wonder if that restaurant closed? It was a vegan fastfood restaurant somewhere in Hawaii.

I can't find it anywhere... it was in Honolulu, and I was looking forward to trying it the next time I was over there... I found old listings for it as a "franchise for sale" (the owners were actively trying to franchise the business when it first opened). I searched the online yellow pages as well, and... nothing...

So here's a lesson for you, spaz. Businesses (even well planned ones in health conscious areas with lots of buzz) fail. Be careful as you formulate your dreams.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#17 Old 02-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Taco Bell and other fast food places are able to sell cheap and make money because they buy their products in HUGE quantities, VERY cheap. A single store simply cannot compete.

there's an old restaurant adage:

you can have it Fast and Cheap, but it won't be Good

you can have it Cheap and Good, but it won't be Fast

you can have it Good and Fast, but it won't be Cheap

Nec Aspera Terrent
#18 Old 02-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

i can work with that!

ive been thinking of saving up a BUNCH of money before i decide to start on this, and even when i do im probably going to have another job.
#19 Old 02-17-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:

I go to Vegan Express occasionally.

It's tiny, not a lot of room to sit, but great food, great, fast service, and DELICIOUS food, with a huge menu.

I had to ask them a few times about certain items just to make sure they were vegan, and they laughed and said they were.

Even some of my omni friends like it.
#20 Old 02-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Submarine sandwiches.

Salad bar.

I hope you're able to expand, and bring one to where I live.
#21 Old 02-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

there's an old restaurant adage:

you can have it Fast and Cheap, but it won't be Good

you can have it Cheap and Good, but it won't be Fast

Keep in mind too, though, that if the restaurant's food is amazing and if the service is really good, people are more willing to spend a bit more.
#22 Old 02-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseHerName View Post

Keep in mind too, though, that if the restaurant's food is amazing and if the service is really good, people are more willing to spend a bit more.

This is true. There are a lot of places that cost a bit more than McDonald's and Taco Bell, have 100% better food, but very few of them have a drive-thru.

I think anyone starting a "fast food" format place (franchise, etc.) dreams of it spreading nationally, but should realize that it's not going to happen in a year or even 5 sometimes. This is certainly not any reason not to start such a place.

Any new place has a high risk of folding. I think this one has "uniqueness in a wrapper of familiarity" on its side. Locating such a place where there's a good market is the best strategy against that.

I say go for it and don't be afraid of failure.
#23 Old 02-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh please open up in Carmel, NY or maybe Danbury Ct? I have no place to go and eat! Even though I am only a little more than hour from NYC, I never get there.
#24 Old 02-18-2006, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

maybe i'll have to go around and open up in a bunch of towns, then close up before they know me too much and fly away! like the lady in chocolat, bawha.

kidding of course, im making a list of places i'd want to open up at, ill narrow them down as i go until i find just one :[
#25 Old 02-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

i can work with that!

ive been thinking of saving up a BUNCH of money before i decide to start on this, and even when i do im probably going to have another job.

and how much money are we talking about here? Restaurant equipment is VERY expensive. we're talking around $100,000 to equip a medium/small kitchen. The building itself, and the lease on the land will be a LOT as well.

If you are SERIOUSLY considering doing this, talk to a business consultant, and talk to the owners of some small restaurants to find out how challenging the financial aspects really are.

Most restaurants don't start breaking even for the first couple of years. And after that, it's always tight.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#26 Old 02-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Florida!
#27 Old 02-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a great place in Soho, London that does only veggie fast food. They also do vegan.

They are planning to soon open another franchise in West London so things must be going ok!

see: www.redveg.com
#28 Old 02-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoska View Post

There's a great place in Soho, London that does only veggie fast food. They also do vegan.

They are planning to soon open another franchise in West London so things must be going ok!

see: www.redveg.com

Good Ford! I don't think that highly pronounced, direct marketing approach would quite work in the US, even though the Boba Tea Company uses a similar approach.... (Somehow I almost feel offended when they use the revolution metaphor with a novel tea drink and depict Geronimo, Fidel Castro, and Stalin. Somehow it holds much more water with veganism, even though I think the general public would be oblivious to the meaning.)
#29 Old 02-18-2006, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

and how much money are we talking about here? Restaurant equipment is VERY expensive. we're talking around $100,000 to equip a medium/small kitchen. The building itself, and the lease on the land will be a LOT as well.

If you are SERIOUSLY considering doing this, talk to a business consultant, and talk to the owners of some small restaurants to find out how challenging the financial aspects really are.

Most restaurants don't start breaking even for the first couple of years. And after that, it's always tight.

I'm 15, lol, I'm going to graduate sometime this year, then I'm going to go to community college to take buisness classes, I'll have a job then too, I'm getting my workers permit in a few weeks. It's not going to be for a few years, I'll be saving up the whole time and probably not even start thinking about buying the building and things for it until I have roughly 40,000-50,000 dollars.
#30 Old 02-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

triple that amount and you MIGHT be ready to start.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page