Nutritional Yeast - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Banned

I tried it several times in the past as I've slowly tried to ween myself off dairy, but thought it tasted terrible. Like a grainy, musty powder. Then I went about a month without cheese (yay, me) and decided it was time to experiment again.

So this morning I had an omelet, with salsa & onion inside (all we had in the fridge), and sprinkled a tablespoon of nutritional yeast inside as well. I was pleasantly surprised. It does have a slight cheese taste, but if you've been eating real cheese regularly, you won't notice it.

Adding to to a hot and liquidy medium (in this case, warm salsa) worked much better than sprinkling it dry on something (like popcorn or veggies). It gave the salsa a creamy, cheesy texture, which worked well with the omelet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2006, 02:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it's kinda parmesean-y. It's good on pasta instead of parmesean. And yeah, it adds some good flavor to scrambled tofu, or eggs or whatever. I can't quite get into the idea of making cheese sauce out of it yet, but maybe someday.

It's also good to put in fake meat, if you make your own.
#3 Old 02-16-2006, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

It's good to put in a variety of dishes. It has a good nutrient value as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Beginner

I make it into a "cheese sauce" just by adding some boiling water and salt. I think the salt makes it have more of a cheese-like flavor. I try not to go nuts with the salt but I wouldn't like the taste of it as a cheese sauce without it. I usually pour it over plain pasta. I've tried it on spaghetti, shells and elbow macaroni and for some reason it tastes the best over elbow macaroni with a side of applesauce. Yum!
#5 Old 02-16-2006, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I love this stuff!! I also had to wait a while after I quit eating cheese to appreciate it. I sprinkle it on salads, etc and use the sauce made out of it on burritos, etc. Its great
#6 Old 02-16-2006, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Did you buy the right stuff? My gf bought a can of "nutritional yeast" and it was actually brewers yeast which tastes mostly like vomit.
#7 Old 02-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Veggie Regular

yes which kind should I get??? and where do you get it? I want to try it!
#8 Old 02-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaVeg View Post

yes which kind should I get??? and where do you get it? I want to try it!

It should be yellow and flaky. Get it from the bulk bins. Preferably, it should have B12 added. It tastes like cheesy, savory goodness.
#9 Old 02-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganinohio View Post

It should be yellow and flaky. Get it from the bulk bins. Preferably, it should have B12 added. It tastes like cheesy, savory goodness.

Thanks for the tip! I've been wondering where to buy it myself. I get so many things from the bins at Whole Foods, but it never crossed my mind to look for nutritional yeast there, duh.
#10 Old 02-17-2006, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

there are a bajillion threads here about nut yeast for more info!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#11 Old 02-17-2006, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I never us it dry, it does taste horrible that way. But it's great in sauces. I put it in veggie gravy, and over at theppk.com, there's a "macaroni hates cheese" recipe I like. It's really good with some hot sauce in it, and though it doesn't taste exactly like real mac-n-cheese, it does satisfy the same way (like tofu scramble and eggs).
#12 Old 02-17-2006, 04:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Morna: my mom has been making a variation of that recipe for YEARS. it's one of my favorite vegan comfort food recipes.

I also like to sprinkle Nut. Yeast on popcorn, mix it into scrambled tofus, top salads w/it, top pizza w/it (the sauce on nutritional yeast mac + "cheese" works well, or just sprinkle the nut yeast on with garlic), sprinkling it into sandwiches of hummus or of meat analogues, into sauteed veggie mixtures, on plain pastas (sprinkled)

nut yeast = love

OH.. and for those who like grits: mixing some nut yeast into grits with a little diced tomato salsa is HEAVEN
#13 Old 02-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

some vegan buds of mine told me how to make a vgan "parmesan" with nutritional yeast. in a food grinder, like a spice grinder really. grind equal parts of walnuts and nutritional yeast and add salt to taste. it is AWESOME?? thing about nut. yeast for me is i don't think it's like cheese, i love it for it's own sweet yeasty self...
#14 Old 02-17-2006, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Walnuts, huh? I'm gonna try that. I've always used almonds.
#15 Old 02-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Look up the recipe (right here on our own VeggieBoards) for "Punkmommy's Nacho Cheese Sauce"... made with nutritional yeast... https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=21449

it's a VB legend...

And, as WonderRandy said, there's like, a hundered other Nutritional Yeast threads here as well...
#16 Old 02-22-2006, 02:57 AM
aky

what's the nutritional info on this stuff?
#17 Old 02-22-2006, 07:15 AM
Beginner

I get mine from the bulk bins but I'd like to know if the red star yeast is better,or are they pretty much the same thing?
#18 Old 02-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

check with your store - the stuff in the bulk bins is very likely to be the Red Star Vegetarian Support Formula.

Nec Aspera Terrent
#19 Old 02-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by aky View Post

what's the nutritional info on this stuff?

http://www.bulkfoods.com/nutritional_yeast.htm
#20 Old 02-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I think Red Star should start paying michael for all the endorsements that are offered on this site!

<<<<eating rotinni with tomato sauce and nut yeast right now!

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#21 Old 02-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morna View Post

I never us it dry, it does taste horrible that way. But it's great in sauces.

Funny, I feel exactly the opposite. I use it mostly on popcorn and in soup stocks. I tried the sauce thing but found it rather foul.
#22 Old 02-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I like sprinkiling it on pasta like parmesan, but when I've used it to make macaroni and "cheese," it just didn't appeal to me.
#23 Old 02-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganinohio View Post

i'm annoyed. i got the Whole Foods brand last night (one of those big ole tubs - my stupid WF doesn't have a bulk aisle!!!!! *pout*) and i didn't check and it doesn't have the B12 added! and i BOUGHT it for B12! duh me!
#24 Old 02-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachina View Post

I tried it several times in the past as I've slowly tried to ween myself off dairy, but thought it tasted terrible. Like a grainy, musty powder. Then I went about a month without cheese (yay, me) and decided it was time to experiment again.

So this morning I had an omelet, with salsa & onion inside (all we had in the fridge), and sprinkled a tablespoon of nutritional yeast inside as well. I was pleasantly surprised. It does have a slight cheese taste, but if you've been eating real cheese regularly, you won't notice it.

Adding to to a hot and liquidy medium (in this case, warm salsa) worked much better than sprinkling it dry on something (like popcorn or veggies). It gave the salsa a creamy, cheesy texture, which worked well with the omelet.

I love it on popcorn! It's loaded with B vitamins that are so important to vegans and vegetarians!
#25 Old 02-27-2006, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I tried nutritional yeast for the first time this morning -- I put a tiny bit on a slice of leftover cheeseless pizza. It was good, although I could barely taste it... I'll try another slice with more now that I know it's not gross.
#26 Old 02-27-2006, 09:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Does Trader Joe's sell nutritional and/or Brewer's yeast? I haven't shopped ther for years, and I nver looked for it when I did.
#27 Old 02-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Silly question from the new vegan -- does nutritional yeast need to be refrigerated? It wasn't in the store, but it just looks like something that should be, lol.
#28 Old 02-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junia View Post

Silly question from the new vegan -- does nutritional yeast need to be refrigerated? It wasn't in the store, but it just looks like something that should be, lol.

No, it doesn't. When I get it from Whole Foods, it's sold in the bulk bins, and they aren't refrigerated. I think it keeps for a long time. Go to www.vegweb.com. There are tons of recipes that call for nutritional yeast for cheese subs. There are also great recipes right here on VB.
#29 Old 02-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl67 View Post

No, it doesn't. When I get it from Whole Foods, it's sold in the bulk bins, and they aren't refrigerated. I think it keeps for a long time. Go to www.vegweb.com. There are tons of recipes that call for nutritional yeast for cheese subs. There are also great recipes right here on VB.

Ah, thanks. I feel better now. So far, the only way I've eaten it is sprinkled on leftover cheeseless pizza, and that was just fine -- I could barely taste it, actually. I'll have to try some "cheese" sauce or something for a stronger sample.
#30 Old 02-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junia View Post

Ah, thanks. I feel better now. So far, the only way I've eaten it is sprinkled on leftover cheeseless pizza, and that was just fine -- I could barely taste it, actually. I'll have to try some "cheese" sauce or something for a stronger sample.

This is a great recipe. I make it a few times a month.

https://www.veggieboards.com/gallery/...imageuser=2673

http://www.randomgirl.com/recipes.html#casserole

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page