which vegetarian vitamins do you recommend? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-04-2006, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I want to get some vegetarian vitamins but I'm not sure which kinds are good. I was looking at these but there are no reviews or anything...so I decided to come here and ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2006, 12:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't have a specific brand to suggest -- you're after a general-purpose multivitamin? I've been taking some soft-ish tablets from the local co-op chain, which don't say who actually makes them. They have too much beta carotene, and a bunch of vitamin A palmitate, which is worthless other than as a lubricant. An ND nearby sells some pricey powder-capsule ones that I might try when I finish the ones I have. If you're looking for 'minerals', do be sure to find a source that offers them chelated so that they're bioavailable. Rock-hard pills like Centrum that offer copper and zinc as oxides can be regarded as little more than pricey pebbles for all the good they do you.
#3 Old 02-04-2006, 12:54 AM

Try a search for "vitamin" or "multivitamin" and you'll find a bunch of old threads on the subject.

I'm favorable to VegLife vitamins.

You might think too, about which vitamins you really need. Other than B12, are there things you think might be lacking in your diet?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Veggie Regular

#5 Old 02-04-2006, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Try a search for "vitamin" or "multivitamin" and you'll find a bunch of old threads on the subject.

Why VegLife, I have ordered from US Freeda Vitamins, but I have used them because of few other vegans I know used them, are there any researches on Vegan vitamins?
#6 Old 02-04-2006, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I just have the regular adult multivitamin from Whole Foods *shrug*
#7 Old 02-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

well you are beautiful beautiful beautiful so Ill take any advice from you
#8 Old 02-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

Doesn't that have gelatin in it?

I've been taking the Freedavite Tiny Tabet Moderate Multi-Vitamin by Freeda. (I order it from VegetarianVitamin.com) I like that it doesn't have more than 100% of anything, but because it's so small, it has very little of certain minerals like Calcium, Magnesium, and Copper.

I take a separate Mega Minerals supplement by Nature's Life that I got from Whole Foods, but I'm having a problem with it upsetting my stomach in the morning, even if I take a little food with it. And it has shockingly large amounts of certain minerals, like 500% RDA of Manganese. I can't help worrying that's not a good idea.

I'd really love to find a twice-a-day vegetarian multi that has plenty of minerals, but no more than 100% of any one thing. I have a problem getting enough magnesium and zinc, and I'd like to quit taking multiple supplements if I can.

So far, this is the closest I've found, and it doesn't have enough magnesium:

https://secure17.nexternal.com/share...t=products.asp

I get headaches if I don't supplement magnesium aggressively. (No, DelicGrape, this isn't related to me being veg-- it's been a problem for years, even when I was eating meat.)
#9 Old 02-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Doesn't that have gelatin in it?

I just double checked the bottle, and nope
#10 Old 02-04-2006, 12:59 PM
Veggie Regular

What brand is that? Is it 365? Because I picked one up the other day that apeared to be the store brand, and it had gelatin. I'm very interested in a gelatin-free Whole Foods brand vitamin.
#11 Old 02-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What brand is that? Is it 365?

yup maybe it's different in different places?
#12 Old 02-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll have to check again-- I thought I was picking up 365, but maybe not. Or maybe they have a veggie-specific formula, and I was holding the regular??
#13 Old 02-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

And it has shockingly large amounts of certain minerals, like 500% RDA of Manganese. I can't help worrying that's not a good idea.

I'm less than confident that the RDA's really correspond to reality in any way, especially given their source -- an organization that allowed Nutrasweet/aspartame onto the market. It certainly is true, though, that today's mainstream produce is nutritionally austere compared to what it used to be, so I consider a daily multi to be sort of making up for both that and the fact that my daily diet isn't always what it should be.
#14 Old 02-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

You'll have problems finding a quality multivitamin that provides no more than 100% of the RDA for each vitamin because of absorbtion rates. For example, we only need about 4 mcg of B12 a day, but we only absorb about 2 mcg's per 1000. So most multi's will say something like "xxx%", but it's really still not enough.

Solgar 's VM-75 line has several vegetarian options. My favorite is the twice a day veggie capsule with the green label.
#15 Old 02-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Veggie Regular

But aren't certain minerals toxic if taken in too large a dose? The obvious one being iron, of course. I agree with anthony11 that we can't necessarily trust the government to accurately determine what the average human body really needs in the form of an RDA, but I'm also not confident we can trust the vitamin makers not to poison us with excessive doses by falling into the old "if a little is good, more must be better" trap. Although I guess if their customers start keeling over, that does tend to hurt sales, doesn't it?

Anyway, where would I find this Solgar? I haven't seen it anywhere.
#16 Old 02-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But aren't certain minerals toxic if taken in too large a dose?

Yep -- actually pretty much anything is if ingested in enough excess, even water. Another notable is nutmeg.

Quote:
The obvious one being iron, of course.

Zinc, too. Heck, it's used to poison moss on roofs, and tires are considered toxic waste in part because of their Zn content, I've read.

Quote:
I agree with anthony11 that we can't necessarily trust the government to accurately determine what the average human body really needs in the form of an RDA

Their food pyramid sorta proves that

Quote:
but I'm also not confident we can trust the vitamin makers not to poison us with excessive doses by falling into the old "if a little is good, more must be better" trap.

Linus Pauling not withstanding ... One reason why I'm very, very skeptical about various herbal supplements, especially the "Chinese" ones, is that I'm not confident that their contents are often accurate or precise.

Quote:
Although I guess if their customers start keeling over, that does tend to hurt sales, doesn't it?

The counterexample:

http://www.mcdonalds.com
#17 Old 02-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've been taking the Freedavite Tiny Tabet Moderate Multi-Vitamin by Freeda. (I order it from VegetarianVitamin.com) I like that it doesn't have more than 100% of anything, but because it's so small, it has very little of certain minerals like Calcium, Magnesium, and Copper.

That's the vitamin I take and I too get it from Vegetarianvitamin.com. I also order Freeda's calcium supplement from there. I take one per day in addition to drinking soy and almond milk and eating calium-rich foods.

I also have Trader Joe's iron and b "50" supplement (it has the b vitamins, 833% of b12 and a small amount of calcium). I take the b vitamin maybe every other day or so and the iron I only use once in a while. When I got my iron levels checked (I had been vegan for a few months at the time), they were good (better than when I was vegetarian and omni) and I never used a supplement then, but my mom wants me to take it sometimes because I inherited thalcemia (sp?) from her side of the family. Don't get Trader Joe's women's multivitamin, it has D3 in it.
#18 Old 02-08-2006, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Why is it that alot of vegetarian multivitamins are iron free?
#19 Old 02-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony11 View Post

The counterexample:

http://www.mcdonalds.com

Score!

PS: Cissy, I double-checked, and you're right, of course. I don't know why I thought 365 vitamins had gelatin in them... I think I must have put them back because they didn't have enough magnesium, and forgotten why I put them back.
#20 Old 02-09-2006, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

PS: Cissy, I double-checked, and you're right, of course. I don't know why I thought 365 vitamins had gelatin in them... I think I must have put them back because they didn't have enough magnesium, and forgotten why I put them back.

cool I was wondering if maybe they changed the ingredients since I bought them
#21 Old 02-09-2006, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelicGrape View Post

Why is it that alot of vegetarian multivitamins are iron free?

A lot of vitamins in general are available in iron-free. I always wondered why, myself. This was all I could find:
Quote:
If you're a man or menopausal woman, take a multivitamin that's iron-free. Some studies suggest that too much of this mineral could increase your risk of heart disease and certain cancers. The only people who need iron include women who menstruate (and shed excess iron through monthly periods), vegetarians (who may not get enough iron from their diets), and endurance athletes (who may experience minor bleeding in their digestive tracts). If you think you're iron deficient, ask a doctor to test you before you supplement. If you menstruate, choose a multi that contains up to 18 mg of iron.

http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/articl...ltivitamin.htm

As for me, I've been taking Rainbow Lite Energizer One for a few weeks and I really like them. They make my pee a fun color
#22 Old 02-10-2006, 12:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt Fink View Post

As for me, I've been taking Rainbow Lite Energizer One for a few weeks and I really like them. They make my pee a fun color

The PCC ones I'm finishing up do that too -- probably because of all the beta carotene.
#23 Old 02-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I just found the Freeda Vitamins. You can order direct from their website and they sell D2 (which are vegan) caplets as well.

https://www.freedavitamins.com/index.htm

All of our products are:

100% Vegetarian

Kosher Certified

Sugar-Free

Salt-Free

Yeast-Free

Gluten-Free

Lactose-Free

I am also interested in this: http://www.qfac.com/supps/greensfirst.html

Greens first - contains 49 super foods, extracts and concentrates including super greens, vegetables, fruits, probiotics, soluble and insoluble fibers, herbs, spices, natural flavonoids, enzymes and lecithin. It also alkalizes the body.

---- I keep reading how if your body's PH is alkaline as compared to acidic you will not get sick and you will repair any damage you might have done to your body.
#24 Old 02-15-2006, 11:31 AM

I am a big fan of DEVA vitamins, I use the iron-free 1-a-day they have. I get them from vegetarianvitamin.com . I have also used vegetable enzymes from ftrbiotics. For calcium I used either Freeda's cal-mag or DEVA Cal-Mag product. Both are good.
#25 Old 02-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Just an update. I ordered direct from Freeda Vitamins on Sunday and received my vitamins today (Wednesday).

Very pleased.
#26 Old 02-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a big fan of any of the products from Super Nutrition

www.supernutritionusa.com

Nec Aspera Terrent
#27 Old 02-15-2006, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Same for my household. We use a vegan multi to cover our bases. I also chew a Solaray B-12 gumlet every few days.
#28 Old 02-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katt Fink View Post

what's up with that? i've been taking a multi from nature's plus and my pee is mello yellow. so i'm not peeing out all the vitamins, and this is normal?
#29 Old 02-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Beginner

I take VegLife SpectroVeg High Energy. I like them because since the serving size is 6 tablets (which supplies over 100% of many things) I can take more or less if I have a cold or something.
#30 Old 02-16-2006, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

the yellow pee thing is simply a result of your body expelling the extra water-soluble vitamins you don't need right now (I think B12?). Think of it as a colorful pat on the back.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in