Veganism, exersize, weight and weight loss - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-25-2006, 02:11 PM

Hey,

I'm new to veggieboards, but am not new to veganism. I've been vegan for a couple of years now with very little to no problems (with some assistance, of course).

I exersize regularly, and use a combination of resistance training and cardio for a porportioned and moderate work out. After 6 or 7 months of routined exersize 2-4 times a week, I have seen very little positive results.

I am not fat, nor thin, but somewhere in between. At the same rate, I have lost over 20 pounds in the past 4 months, but unfortunately I think it was the muscle I was burning. That's right, I weigh 132 some odd pounds (that's underweight for those of you that do not know) and yet I still own stubborn belly and pectoral fat.

I am not vegan for weight purposes; once again I am not fat, and I may even just be being hard on myself, but I am pretty sure something is not right. My first insinuation was that I am not getting enough calories or necessary amino acids or protiens in my diet.

Perfectly plausible, but I am not sure. I have a physical soon, and that will probably answer some of my questions, but I was also looking for some fellow vegan assistance because I

DO NOT WANT TO DROP VEGANISM, which will probably be a suggestion given by the doc.

Please, if you have any suggestions or anything speak up. I neeed help. I want to gain muscle mass!!!!!!!

Should I eat more before I work out?

Am I not eating enough?

etc.

btw: every morning I work out I have cereal with blueberries, raisins and some SpiruTien (soy protien powder) , orange juice and tea, as well as a multi vitamin, ginko biloba, garlic extract, and flaxseed oil.

....Before I work out today (im right about leave) I ate a banana and a half cup of nuts.

HELP!

<this guy is friggin' cool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you male or female? Teenager or adult? Those are factors, too.

You may want to try uping the intensity of your workouts. I think you're the same type I am, where it takes a long time for results to really show.

What do you do for your cardio? I switched from running on a treadmill to using an elyptical trainer a while ago, and found that helped. I also lift weights and do yoga.

For food, make sure you have something with protein after your workout (don't up your overall protein if it's at a good level). It doesn't have to be immediately after, but soon. I like to have a bowl of oatmeal with fruit, flax seed and soymilk, for example.
#3 Old 01-25-2006, 04:54 PM

...BTW, I feel as if I am constantly running low on energy. I'm thinking iron deficiant?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-25-2006, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Are you a guy?

If I understand this correctly, you're not eating enough. I recommend figuring out how much protein, fat and carbs you need in a day to be fit for your height/age/weight, and go to fitday.com to start writing in your food daily. You'll know if you're getting enough nutrients, and there's a feature that lets you know if you're deficient in something (like iron).
#5 Old 01-25-2006, 05:36 PM
Baby Love

I'd also guess you need more calories. If your current volume of food is filling you up, add more healthy fats like avocados, nuts, oils, etc. so you get more calories without feeling overstuffed.
#6 Old 01-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

It'd be helpful to know what you eat the rest of the day. Do you eat plenty of legumes and grains? Do you eat any nutbutters? Are you avoiding white flour and hydrogenated oils?
#7 Old 01-25-2006, 07:13 PM

What I have eaten today:

Breakfast:

- 1 or 2 cups of raisin bran with rice milk

- 1 or 2 cups of raisins

-1 or 2 cups of blueberries

-1 serving of Spiru Tien protien powder

- Tea

noon..ish

-Banana

-1 cup of raw mixed nuts

-workout-

lunch

- can of organic pinto beans

- half an advacado

- onion

- grape tomatoes

- tortilla chips

- 3 or 4 strawberries

...and ive been snacking on some nuts here and there

For dinner I was planning on having squash with mushrooms, tofurkey.

According to that fitday.com website, I AM meeting my necessary daily calorie intake. I can, however, see how this may change with veganism.

Yes, male.
#8 Old 01-25-2006, 07:52 PM

Most people do not think I am a vegetarian since I am not the most uhh.. skinniest person in the world but I am no where near fat. Just a little chubby which I always was even when I was little. I am thinking it was all the milk I used to drink. Oh my gosh, you would not beileve the ammount of milk I used to drink-- it was a whole lot I will tell you. And I drank Whole Milk which does not help one bit at all... espeacially because I will have to start drinking soy milk soon which is way different then whole milk. (I am cutting down slowly on dairy and eggs, preparing to become vegan slowly)
#9 Old 01-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned

I think you are not getting enough protein, to be honest. You don't have to give up veganism to get more protein - even look at the Mr. Universe who was vegetarian - you just need to learn how to add protein to your diet. I also think you aren't getting enough calories, based on the amount of exercise you are describing. Your weight is pretty low for a male, unless you are on the shorter side. You might just be being hard on yourself - some people just can't get a washboard stomach.

More than anything, its good that you are going to the doctor - but I think they are going to freak about you losing 13% of your body mass in just 4 months when you were probably already at a reasonably healthy weight beforehand. Let us know what the doctor says.
#10 Old 01-26-2006, 09:37 AM

I am about 5'6 or 5'7, so yes, 133 pounds is about 15 pounds underweight. I'm also going to work on getting more fatty foods in my diet (as you can see, they are blatenly absent from my diet) and that, in turn, should also up my calories some.

Yes, I will definently give you an update on how the appointment goes.
#11 Old 01-26-2006, 06:50 PM

Well the sudden weight loss may be some cause for concern but 133 pounds on a 5'6" or 5'7" frame isn't extremely underweight, depending on your build. I personally weigh less and am 5'7". However, I am also confident that my vegan diet is sufficient for supporting me and my activities. I eat mostly whole foods, run 60+mpw and do core workouts every other day. Your daily menu looks reasonable and I don't think you're protein deficient (I have never used protein powder and have been able to put on muscle/improve running performance eating whole foods). Also fatty foods don't seem to be "blatantly absent from [your] diet" as avacados and nuts are great sources of monounsaturated fats. If anything I might add a salad to your lunch, a piece of fruit to breakfast, and perhaps a late night snack. Hopefully you can work this out with your doctor; good luck.
#12 Old 01-27-2006, 12:32 AM

If you are a runner, you are also probably much thinner than I am. I have an average build, some belly and pectoral fat, and I am definently not a lean machine. Once again, I've seen very little additional muscle mass since I have started exersizing regularly, which is probably around 6 - 9 months ago. This doesn't sound right. I could, very possibly, just have a very akward body...I suppose.
#13 Old 01-27-2006, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmeaboutfate View Post

If you are a runner, you are also probably much thinner than I am. I have an average build, some belly and pectoral fat, and I am definently not a lean machine. Once again, I've seen very little additional muscle mass since I have started exersizing regularly, which is probably around 6 - 9 months ago. This doesn't sound right. I could, very possibly, just have a very akward body...I suppose.

Hi tellmeaboutfate,

I used to bodybuild for many years an am your height also. You wrote that you haven't added very much muscle mass, but have you gained in strength much? If you haven't, then I would suspect that your exercise routines are faulty, not enough protein to build muscles, or even carboyhydrates to fuel saturate your muscles to allow for damaging them (which results in growth), or your hormones are not in balance or high enough.

From experience, a lot of people I knew would not gain in strength or muscle mass because they did not have enough carbohydrates stored to use their muscles maximally, even though they were putting in 100% effort into their workouts. This often occured due to them working out too much. Also, strength training will result in different gains in mass than power lifting. When I lifted weight I was 190-195 Lbs at 5'7 and had a little fat, for reference.

I hope this helps. The best thing might be to take a break for a week to rest and then see how your body works at following gym time.

Best of luck to you!
#14 Old 01-27-2006, 06:13 PM

Thank you for all of your replies.

I don't feel that I have gained stength, no, but I think I have a pretty decent exercize routine; my father is a personal trainer, and taught me what I know.

I will definently up my carbohydrate intake! Thanks!

..Aaah, cutting down on exercizing will be tough

What if I merely switch to more cardio and less resistance training, or visa versa? I guess that doesn't make much sense, damnit. Exercizing is kind of my crutch for drug abuse

Once again, thanks for your help.
#15 Old 01-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

If you're getting each muscle group two sets of 8-10 reps at the max weight you can do with good form, three times a week, then I'm not convinced more lifting would be beneficial.

The aerobic stuff is better for dropping the fat, but it is possible you are genetically programmed to keep that amount. I know I got down to 108 lbs (at 5'4", weightlifting female) and still had visible ab fat. But I don't see any problem with doing a lot of exercise if you like it *and are taking the calories to support it*.

It looked to me like there was plenty of protein in that diet. Athletes don't need *that* much more than sedentary folks; about a 50% increase over standard recommendations seems to be fine. I don't see much whole grain there though, so it seemed possible that you're short some of those amino acids. I also saw a lot of fruit and not much veggies in the sample. I would be wondering if that much fruit (raisins and bananas for example have a high glycemic index) might be provoking insulin spikes then crashes. That would leave you hungry after the crash, low energy, unable to lift to the best of your ability.

In short, if it were me I'd add in more veggies and whole grains (more calories can't hurt if you're losing weight), and I'd ask the doc. What you're doing doesn't look that far off unless you're overestimating your calorie intake, and that's a lot of weight loss.

Good luck.
#16 Old 01-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Beginner

Are you sure that what you are calling "fat" on your belly isn't just loose skin?

Fat can go away, but loose skin won't--You have to get it cut off, like when people get that stomach-staple and have a ton of loose skin left over.
#17 Old 01-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, you aren't eating enough. You are eating a lot of very healthy, albeit low-cal foods. I agree you need more healthy fats and in general more bulk.

Good luck with your apointment.
#18 Old 01-29-2006, 01:18 PM

I think that I may have to just cope with my unfortunate genetic disposition.

..Though it really bothers the sh*t out of me

Thanks again for your replies.
#19 Old 01-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Have you checked the body for life program???? It's for Omnis BUT you can adjust it for vegetarian-vegan easily. Basically you need to eat 5-6 times a day. In every meal you should have protein and carbs (about the same ratio), which is hard for vegans but at least you can combine beans with rice, or tacos... etc. Note these are small meals.

You need to lift weights and do cardio also. It's an excellent program. I have great results.

You probably should eat more protein. Maybe have your protein drink twice a day. Eat tofu with your meals and also your tofurky.

You should seriuosly check out the program:

http://www.bodyforlifers.com/

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

I believe you can adapt this diet to be vegetarian or vegan. Maybe not with the same percentages as he recommends 40%proten 40% carbs and 20% fat, but maybe somewhere like 20-30% protein, 20%fat and 60-50%carbs.

Good luck,

Carla
#20 Old 01-29-2006, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmeaboutfate View Post

I think that I may have to just cope with my unfortunate genetic disposition.

..Though it really bothers the sh*t out of me

Thanks again for your replies.

Are your clavical bones at the front-base of your neck clearly defined?
#21 Old 01-29-2006, 06:15 PM

"Are your clavical bones at the front-base of your neck clearly defined?"

haha yeah, actually. Why? Now you got me interested!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page