How long have you been vegan/veggie and how tolerant are you? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-21-2006, 09:59 PM

How long have you been vegan/veggie and how tolerant of other's choices are you? Is there a connection? Just wondering. It seems a lot of people on here have only been practicing since 2005. The odd thing though, is that these newbies seem to dish out a lot of judgment and are quick to argue with others choices. I have found most of the longer-practicing vegans/veggies seem to be more insightful, tolerant and informative. Is this just me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2006, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

i've been vegetarian about 8-9 years and went vegan about one year in. i would say i'm pretty tolerant. i always try hard not to offend people or make them feel uncomfortable. the only time i might argue is if someone were being hostile about my beliefs/feelings/choices.
#3 Old 01-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Lifelong vegetarian

Vegan since Nov 1st 2005

I don't think I ever tried to convert anyone or tell them what they were doing was wrong. I've been forced to defend myself on more than one occasion. The omnis seem to have had more of a problem with my different choices / lifestyle than I had with them. I used to date omnis, but I just don't think I can ever do that again. I'm only dating veg*n men now. So, does that mean that as I became vegan I became less tolerant? Maybe. But, I co-exist peacefully with omni co-workers, neighbors, etc.. I just won't accept them into my world intimately. I think I also feel more inclined to participate in activism and protest, but I still refrain from fear of jail and loss of job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-21-2006, 10:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Part of it may be just the fact that different people are different, but I think that to some extent, the zeal of the newly-converted is real. At the same time, I've noticed that a lot of other people become less tolerant over time. They find the sight and smell of meat more repulsive, so they become more judgemental in terms of refusing to be around other people who are eating meat and things like that.

I've only been veg for 11 months, but I've been pretty mellow about it right from the start. I knew how I would have felt just a few months ago if someone had come down on me for my food choices, so I didn't want to be that person. I'll dine with meaters, and I won't try to cram my views down people's throats, but I will gently raise the issue and let people know that I'm vegtarian, and discuss it with them if they want to.
#5 Old 01-21-2006, 10:23 PM

Lacto-Vegetarian for 7-8 years and Vegan for a few months now. Glad I went all the way.
#6 Old 01-21-2006, 10:36 PM

Vegetarian 7 years. I am very tolerant because all my family and friends are omni's.
#7 Old 01-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

minimally lacto-ovo vegetarian for 3 years consecutively- vegan for the first year of the three.

I can definetly say that I was stubborn and very outspoken in the beginning. I was all wrapped up in that PETA stuff- meet your meat was on constant replay in the back of my mind and the things that I learned from it were my mantra. I will be the first person to admit that I was an annoying little brat, and I'm sure that many people wanted to shut me up with a baseball bat. I was constantly getting into it with my parents- and friends- at the dinner table.

I'm not really sure when I started to change. I think that I calmed down a lot as a whole- not just in how I've reacted to people who eat meat.

I think that it takes time to learn that you aren't going to change the world one person at a time, and that there are people out there that just don't care. It takes time to learn that it's more effective to respect other's opinions and let them come to you if they wish to do so, than it is to shout in their faces. People get more defensive.

I now think of myself as very tolerant. I don't like when people preach to me, so I don't preach to them. I never bring up my vegetarianism in public unless somebody asks me first, and I refuse to allow it to become confrontational. I only discuss it if it's in a respectful manner- and NEVER over a meal.

I think it's just a matter of growing up in general and growing in to your vegetarianism- and yes, that does take time.
#8 Old 01-21-2006, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract I've noticed that a lot of other people become [U View Post

less[/U] tolerant over time. They find the sight and smell of meat more repulsive, so they become more judgemental in terms of refusing to be around other people who are eating meat and things like that.

I think this is true as well. While I am accepting of other's choices, my husband says I "preach the veggie gospel". I guess that means I talk about it alot. My hubs is omni, and I didn't become a veggie until shortly after we got together. I can understand why vegans/veggies date others of the same dietary choice, because it makes it easier. And definately omnis can be VERY ignorant. But my husband has always been very very tolerant and accomadating. When I told him I was becoming a veggie, he told me, "I know." He knew before I did!
#9 Old 01-22-2006, 03:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't remember how long I've been veg*n. I think tolerance is a problematic concept, so I don't use the word.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#10 Old 01-22-2006, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I have been veggie since 1997 and vegan since 1999 and I think I'm pretty tolerant. I don't make comments when people eat meat in front of me, I don't lash out at peoples eating habits for no reason, But I will quickly step in to firecely defend my veggie lifestyle if anyone starts insulting it.

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#11 Old 01-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Beginner

I've been vegetarian for 10 years and vegan for about 2. I think I am pretty mellow about it now, but when I first started I was a little more aggressive. I am not naturally a confrontational/aggressive person though, so it really hasn't been a problem. You can't hardly "make" people change, but by setting a good example, people are more willing to try new things or think about their lifestyle. Gentle encouragement works better than being a "life-style nazi".
#12 Old 01-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been veggie for 10 years and vegan for about 8 of those years.

I'm very big on tolerance, I think I always have been. I have never believed that I was better than someone simply for not eating meat.

The impact we have on the world is far more than just what we eat and the products we use. How can I be sure my overall positive impact is greater than someone else who may not be veg*n? I can't, so I feel I have no right to, just to 'better' myself and my life.

I have found over the years that people listen to the reasons why I'm veg*n far more if they come to me with the questions or if I'm very open and non judgemental with the discussion.

I want to learn and grow, part of learning and growing is not being agressive, and changing the world with non confrontational means, a most effective way!

I do see quite a few new veg*ns be a bit zealous, and I think it is more common in those that have been veg for less time. But I also see this in some very established veg people as well.

I do understand that over the years people do get more put off and disgusted by meat, but despite this, I have tried to remember that most of us ate meat at some stage or another.

How did we start on the road to veg*nism? Many would say a helpful (and non judgemental) friend or family member.
#13 Old 01-22-2006, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been vegetarian some 15 years, and vegan almost all of that time. As I myself am far from perfect in so many ways, I can hardly condemn other people for the choices they make in their own lives. Criticism rarely impels people to change their diet anyway. Education is a more effective tool, in my opinion.
#14 Old 01-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I've only been vegetarian since June (I think) of 2005. I'm pretty tolerant of others.
#15 Old 01-22-2006, 11:12 AM

I have been a vegetarian for 29 years but I am not a vegan. I am a vegetarian for religious

reasons. We are all spirit souls, be a human or animal and we feel pain equally regardless of material body that we have. It does not matter if we are in the womb or not. killing someone how is innocent even if he is an ant is sinful. People are in ignorance of this fact and they need to be reminded of the truth and then if they are unwilling to change then we may become intolerant.

Change takes time, so we need to be tolerant.

The reason we are feeling compassion for animals is because of the presence of

the spirit soul that is an eternal soul and an eternal person with in the material body. All

bodies are a machine for the soul and all living beings are eternal persons be they a human,

animal, insect, bird or plant. There are different names of god in different faiths and the

name that I call god is Krishna. Krishna said The living entities in this conditioned world

are My eternal fragmental parts. Due to conditioned life, they are struggling very hard

with the six senses, which include the mind.

The living entity in the material world carries his different conceptions of life from one

body to another as the air carries aromas. Thus he takes one kind of body and again quits

it to take another.

The living entity, thus taking another gross body, obtains a certain type of ear, eye,

tongue, nose and sense of touch, which are grouped about the mind. He thus enjoys a

particular set of sense objects. Bhagavad Gita 15.7. through 9

As the embodied soul continuously passes, in this body, from boyhood to youth to old

age, the soul similarly passes into another body at death. A sober person is not bewildered

by such a change. 2.13

As a person puts on new garments, giving up old ones, the soul similarly accepts new

material bodies, giving up the old and useless ones. 2.22

We will not be successful in stopping the violence until we understand the reason and

cause.

We are eternal spirit souls who have come to the material world to exploit the resources

of the property of god. We were advised not to do this but chose to come here out of our

free will. It was understood that there is going to be happiness and suffering when we

came. All bodies are a machine for the soul and all living beings are eternal persons be they

a human, animal, insect, bird or plant. . real compassion is to free the person from the cause of his suffering by releasing him from bondage of this existence eternally by going back to god in his

abode. We all have a relationship with god. Every type of relationship that we see here is a

perverted refection of what our relationship is with god. Jesus Christ is a good example

because he had a relationship with god as the son.
#16 Old 01-22-2006, 01:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been vegetarian since 2002. Now four years veggie or actually, over four years because I became vegetarian in October, 2001. I was vegan for several years and now practice a form of strict vegetarianism. I have to say I don't think very much about the personal choices of other people. It is enough for me on any given day, to work out my own choices so that I sleep well at night, take care of my daughter and participate in my community, and work full time. I try to practice in my life a sort of live and let live mentality, having come to a somewhat obvious conclusion a few years ago, that everyone is not like me. We are all unique and different. There is amazing variety in nature...and in human nature. I try to respect that as much as is possible.

But then, I'm older as well...I think often this kind of tolerance is learned with time. I was VERY self-righteous at 18 for instance. It was very difficult for me to deal with the faults of other people (those who did not agree with me). I think that also needs to be taken into account. OF course this is a blanket statement, and i've know people to be intolerant b******* throughout their lives.

B
#17 Old 01-22-2006, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been veggie for nearly 9 years (April/Mayish '97) and I don't really argue with omnis, unless they start it. I get on well with omnis, and I don't evangelise.
#18 Old 01-22-2006, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I've only been vegetarian for a yearish (depending if I count when I started transitioning or finished) and I'm working on becoming vegan.

I'm not sure if tolorent is the right word but I don't care about the things other people eat. I may have adopted this additude because I work seasonally in a pizza/hot subs place. I'm not particularly happy about handling dead animal but it pays well, the boss loves me, it's hard to find work that close to my folks place, and the gloves keep it away from my skin.

I also don't mind when people eat meat in front of me or talk about eating meat.
#19 Old 01-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been veggie for 3 years, vegan for 2, and I am extremely tolerant. I am very chill. Live and let live.
#20 Old 01-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian for 14 months. I'm very laid-back about it. I'm strict with my own eating habits, but forgiving when it comes to others.
#21 Old 01-22-2006, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar26 View Post

minimally lacto-ovo vegetarian for 3 years consecutively- vegan for the first year of the three.

I can definetly say that I was stubborn and very outspoken in the beginning. I was all wrapped up in that PETA stuff- meet your meat was on constant replay in the back of my mind and the things that I learned from it were my mantra. I will be the first person to admit that I was an annoying little brat, and I'm sure that many people wanted to shut me up with a baseball bat. I was constantly getting into it with my parents- and friends- at the dinner table.

I'm not really sure when I started to change. I think that I calmed down a lot as a whole- not just in how I've reacted to people who eat meat.

I think that it takes time to learn that you aren't going to change the world one person at a time, and that there are people out there that just don't care. It takes time to learn that it's more effective to respect other's opinions and let them come to you if they wish to do so, than it is to shout in their faces. People get more defensive.

I now think of myself as very tolerant. I don't like when people preach to me, so I don't preach to them. I never bring up my vegetarianism in public unless somebody asks me first, and I refuse to allow it to become confrontational. I only discuss it if it's in a respectful manner- and NEVER over a meal.

I think it's just a matter of growing up in general and growing in to your vegetarianism- and yes, that does take time.

I was pretty much the same. I went veggie when I was 8 or 9, but I didn't really get into animal rights or being really annoying and militant until I was 11 or 12. Luckily for me (and everyone around me) I found VB soon after that and realized how obnoxious I was. I've been pretty laid back about veg*nism since then and I think I'm finally settling into a lifestyle that's both practical and good for me
#22 Old 01-22-2006, 05:18 PM

I have been veggie for 2 years and 3 months. I went vegan after being a lacto-ovo veggie for 3 or 4 months. I consider myself a tolerant person. My personality is very non-confrontational. I hate conflict and avoid it like the plague--even when an omni starts an argument I tend to simply hold my ground and try to change the subject.
#23 Old 01-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Funnily enough, all the super-militant people are keeping very quiet...
#24 Old 01-22-2006, 05:43 PM

hahaha that is what I was just thinking!
#25 Old 01-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueveggie14 View Post

I don't think I ever tried to convert anyone or tell them what they were doing was wrong. I've been forced to defend myself on more than one occasion. The omnis seem to have had more of a problem with my different choices / lifestyle than I had with them. I used to date omnis, but I just don't think I can ever do that again. I'm only dating veg*n men now. So, does that mean that as I became vegan I became less tolerant? Maybe. But, I co-exist peacefully with omni co-workers, neighbors, etc.. I just won't accept them into my world intimately.

That seems to sum up my position completely.

I have been a Vegan for just under 2 years. Many people would consider me to be incredibly tolerant as a lot of times co-workers and neighbors forget that I am a veggie - I only discuss it when someone brings it up, or when they attempt to serve me food. I have never discussed why I was a vegan with my parents as they respect my decision. Almost all of my friends are omni's and I can safely say that none of them have ever been pressured by me. I don't wish to interfere with their lives.

On the other hand I often feel that I am intolerant as I will not date an omni, (won't even consider it) and will not allow meat in my apartment - but those would interfere with MY life.

On the whole I don't think that we can accurately judge our own tolerance and I think that all of us are tolerant of some things and intolerant of other things. As an example one vegetarian I know, berates people non-stop about how they are eating murdered animals, and how they are immoral, yet she buys, cooks and serves meat to her boyfriend. I am not saying that she is a bad person but I guess she is more tolerant than I am when it comes to her personal life, but less tolerant than I am when it comes to our social lives.
#26 Old 01-22-2006, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goettling View Post

Vegetarian 7 years. I am very tolerant because all my family and friends are omni's.

YAYYYYYYYYY goettling.

So sweet. Lets have a huggypooh.

Oh girl, It's raining here. It's be raining since last night. It may flood. If it does, I"m gonna call ya. Come pick me up ok.

KIDDING, but it is raining through.
#27 Old 01-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonypooh View Post

I have been veggie for 2 years and 3 months. I went vegan after being a lacto-ovo veggie for 3 or 4 months. I consider myself a tolerant person. My personality is very non-confrontational. I hate conflict and avoid it like the plague--even when an omni starts an argument I tend to simply hold my ground and try to change the subject.

That's a very good attitude about it. I'm like you. I hate conflict. I'm the peacemarker kind. I'll change the subject too. I'll walk away or sometimes I don't say anything. I would rather do that, then to open my big mouth before I think about what I have to say.

I just hope that when i'm a full pledge vegetarian, other's that aren't veggies will not bother me or not get to me because I just can't see myself like that. With me working on myself to be a nicer peaceful person, a loving and compassionate person, I just pray that I don't belittle people because of what they eat. I have a different thinking eating meat than many other vegetarians. So it may not phase me the way that it phases other veggies.

I just wanted to say that's a good way to do it. Take care.
#28 Old 01-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesseract View Post

Funnily enough, all the super-militant people are keeping very quiet...

So as not to be thought of as super-militant ---I became a pescatarian in 2000, lacto-ovo in Dec 2004, and strict vegetarian in July 2005. I'm very tolerant of anyone else's dietary issues -just don't tease me or you will get an earful!!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#29 Old 01-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I just passed my 11 year mark a little while ago. I've never been one to try to change people (except when it comes to voting, but that's a little different ), so I can't say I'm much more mellow about the whole thing than I was eleven years ago. As long as I'm not preparing meat, I'm happy. I have no problem being around it or watching people eat it. With the exception of one incredibly stupid coworker who said vegetarians physically can't go eight months without getting extremely sick (at the time I'd just hit my 8 year mark. He just figured I was eating chicken. Whatever), I haven't had any need to defend my dietary choice.
#30 Old 01-23-2006, 02:11 AM
Veggie Regular

veg 3 years. i drift in and out of my tollerence, depending on how people react to my lifestyle. kind of a 'dont bother me i wont bother you' basis.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page