How long have you been vegan/veggie and how tolerant are you? - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 01-28-2006, 06:32 PM

I've been vegetarian for about 3 years. I believe strongly in tolerance and do not try to change others, though I am more than happy to explain why I chose vegetariansim. My husband and 3 grown children are all omni. We co-exist with mutual respect and love for one another.

Shalom,

Earthsong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 01-28-2006, 06:53 PM

Vegetarian for about 6 years (I think?), vegan for a little more than one. I consider myself extrememly tolerant. My feeling is that I am only responsible for my own choices. Also, I really, really don't like it when people try to shove their (for example) religions down my throat, so how is it any different for me to shove my dietary choices down theirs?

Exceptions to my tolerance: Intolerant veg*ns (I think they give all of us a bad name. And I yelled at one recently for posting something on another non-veg board about turkey being evil just before Thanksgiving. That was inappropriate, and I'd do it again). And people who claim to be veg*n except when they're eating meat. Or someone like my friend who routinely--and vocally--"goes vegan" for 3 days at a time, then gives up. Attention whore.
#63 Old 01-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I have been a l/o vegetarian since March 2004. I consider myself very intolerant of omnivores however, I don't force my beliefs on anyone. I do judge them harshly in my head though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 01-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Beginner

I was a vegetarian for eight years and became vegan three years ago.

When I encounter a person who has negetive opinions about vegetarianism/veganism, I always remember the fact that I use to be a meat-eater too. Such encounters keep me humble.

I do not regard people who eat meat as evil or ignorant. We all have our own way of showing compassion for our earth and living beings. Who am I to say that my way of showing compassion is more righteous than another? All I can say is that, with all the knowledge that I am aware of and that I have accepted to be true, my way is right for me.
#65 Old 01-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I’ve been a veg since 91 or 92. I must admit I’m pretty judgmental with people eating meat but it’s not the person I judge it’s the action. We all do ignorant things.
#66 Old 01-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I’ve been vegetarian since 86 or 87. Was less tolerant but I have mellowed with age.
#67 Old 01-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Somewhere around May will be two years since I became vegetarian. One of those things I wish I had written the date down, but never did.

I am very tolerant. My hubby is an omni, but he is very, very supportive of me, he will be the first one to pipe up that I don't eat meat when necessary. I wouldn't want to make anybody defend their eating habits any more than I would want to defend mine. Don't ask me, and I won't ask you.

Of course, in a perfect world, nobody would eat meat, but seeings how it has been less than 2 years for me, I am not exactly comfortable preaching what is "right", and what is "wrong", I fear the word hypocrite! I find it hard to believe I ever ate "meat" (gawd, I dislike that word), it seems like I never did. I can't imagine eating animals now, hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. I value this message board sooooo much, because in RL, I don't know any other veg*ns. I get a kick out of the people that say they would become veg*ns, but they can't live without meat......
#68 Old 01-29-2006, 05:03 PM

I've been a vegetarian for 10 years. It doesn't bother me if people eat meat in front of me and I never preach to people. It does gross me out seeing it, though, but I just keep my mouth shut and try to avert my eyes. I started a new thread about how my (former) vegetarian husband is now eating meat. I don't care about other peoples' choices, but I DO care about his. I don't like it at all.
#69 Old 01-29-2006, 05:04 PM

He's not my former husband, he's a former vegetarian. Sorry about that!
#70 Old 01-29-2006, 05:33 PM
ALL

lacto-veg 16-17 years....

I don't care what anyone outside myself, and my kids eat.

In fact.. I sale meat to omnis for a living...
#71 Old 01-29-2006, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegetarian 2.5 years as of Mozart's birthday.
#72 Old 01-29-2006, 05:43 PM

Since 1993...

And I'm in the camp of those who are less tolerant on the inside. I like to think I am, but I do find myself judging people based on the choices they make for our environment. For your own health, do whatever you want, but when your choices negatively affect our precious planet and the non/human animals that reside here, I'll admit to a certain amount of intolerance.

That said, I have many omni friends, but do find that those closest to me tend to be veg. I attribute that to a shared worldview.
#73 Old 01-30-2006, 07:29 PM
Beginner

I started the transition to being vegetarian in 2004, and completely gave up meat by January 2005. For the most part I am very tolerant of others, I pretty much never mention vegetarianism at all. But if someone brings it up to me and wants to initiate a conversation, I'm all over it.

I believe the reason a lot of new veggies are less tolerant is because they have just realized a great injustice is going on and are in the throws of changing their lifestyles. They have have a revelation of sorts and expect everybody around them to be having the same ideas. I know when I first had the idea that being a veggie was the way to go, I didn't understand why the people I was telling about it didn't seem to agree with me. Over time though, you learn that some people haven't thought about it yet, but will in the future, and that others just don't care. That was a bit ranty of me, but that's the general idea i get from the intolerance of new veggies. It's harmless, they're just so excited that they don't understand why others arent joining them in their new lifestyles.
#74 Old 01-30-2006, 07:36 PM

quote: "I don't mind if other people eat meat, but I hate it when people criticise my choice for being a vegan. "

Amen to that! I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 10 years. My husband for 6 and my 5 year old has never known anything but. My parents are not vegetarian at all but support me and my family without any criticizm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page