Can bioplastics(plant-based plastics) possibly substitute for leather? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-15-2006, 04:13 AM

Think about it, if pleather, which can perfectly substitute both the texture and appearance of real leather at the same time, was made out of plastics coming from fossil fuels, then wouldn't be possible that an imitation of leather can be made from plastics derived from plants as well? This duplication of leather would be actually more eco-friendly and vegan than pleather, since it's coming from plants instead petroleum, which can come from animals(those that died millions of years ago, including the dinosaurs).

The imitation leather is also alot safer than most so-called "eco-friendly" alternatives to real leather most vegans push for today, since you make the plastic leather from any plant source you desire, be it corn, sweet potatoes, kenaf, tapioca, grapes, etc. You can craft items from this faux leather, such as jackets, purses, wallets, car seats, and yes even cowgirl dress boots.

What do you think of this idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-15-2006, 04:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Very possibly, but it will be much more expensive, probably.

I like the idea, though!
#3 Old 01-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Veggie Regular

using petroleum does not go against vegan ideas. There may be other reasons to reduce the use of it, but cruelty to animals is not one of them.

The petroleum we use was formed thousands of years ago, there is not way it is linked to modern day cruelty practices.

With that said I am not suggesting we waste all the petroleum, just my observation on the veganness of petroleum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Veggie Regular

if we have no planet, the animals die for the most glaring of selfishness.

Dinosaur man, I see that a s something a few research universities should be working on other than the latest way to overburden a pig's joints by increasing the growth rate (hey, plant cultivation IS agriculture and so many schools focus on meat/dairy creatures)!

What I know of plant plastics is they are used in rigid applications such as John Deere tractors.

what would it take to make supple plastics?
#5 Old 01-15-2006, 09:43 PM

What I like to see are more organic, safer plant-based sources of faux leather in the creation of "tough guy" jackets/trenchcoats, stylish woman's dress boots, many more applications real leather can be used for. Most of time, rubber/latex just doesn't cut it for me, since it can be associated with allergies, sensitivities, and toxicities in some people, whether the source of rubber is natural or synthetic and rubber doesn't have the stylish look real leather does anyways.

If the vegans and animal-rights advocates want to protect our precious Earth, then they should search for more natural, beautiful plant-based duplications of animal skins instead of depleting precious natural resources creating those ugly birkofelts and naugahydes. Today's society is so accustomed to the use of petrochemicals that they think they can't live w/o them. We should lobby to crimilize the usage of petroleum and other synthetic chemicals, meaning it would be illegal.

It's really hard to find plant sources of faux leather that would be suitable for every vegan in the entire world, esp. bikers, movie actors, dominatrices, etc.

I also wonder if natural materials such as resins, vegetable gums, organic chemical-free cellulose, carbohydrates, fruit leathers and non-dairy milks can somehow mimic the stylish appearance and texture of real leather.
#6 Old 01-16-2006, 04:08 AM

I'm waiting for another response !

Quote:
using petroleum does not go against vegan ideas. There may be other reasons to reduce the use of it, but cruelty to animals is not one of them.

The petroleum we use was formed thousands of years ago, there is not way it is linked to modern day cruelty practices.

With that said I am not suggesting we waste all the petroleum, just my observation on the veganness of petroleum.

According to your logic, then leather coming from a cow killed by natural causes should be considered vegan, right?
#7 Old 01-16-2006, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Dinosaur man, you need to realise that outlawing petroleum products at this time would result in no availability of many objects people currently depend on, because there are no substitutes currently available at an affordable price (if at all).
#8 Old 01-16-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

Dinosaur man, you need to realise that outlawing petroleum products at this time would result in no availability of many objects people currently depend on, because there are no substitutes currently available at an affordable price (if at all).

People need to be educated about natural materials, such as biomass and carbohydrates, that could substitute for petroleum in many applications. The world might run out of petroleum someday and who knows what could happen after that.

Let's not to get off topic! The main focus of this thread is about whether bioplastics can substitute both the appearance and texture of real leather or not.
#9 Old 01-17-2006, 08:55 PM

I thought most of you here would be interested in this sort of this stuff .
#10 Old 01-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure mineral plastics can!

Again, where's the uni research grant for this?? eh??

are there softer, flexible plant source plastics?
#11 Old 01-18-2006, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepeacenik View Post

Again, where's the uni research grant for this?? eh?? are there softer, flexible plant source plastics?

Organic, bioplastic faux leather doesn't need to be an university research project in order for it to exist! You could probably make it at home.

Then again, there are supposedly other organic sources of faux leather, but I'm not sure whether they're good enough to substitute for real leather:

Vegetal Leather(Treetap): It's usually made by drenching cotton in natural latex(usually Hevea) and then vulcanizing it with smoke from palm nuts. You could replace cotton with bamboo or another natural fabric, if you're allergic to cotton. I haven't thought of any good substitutes for the Hevea tree's latex, if you're allergic to it, but those examples might do for now: Guayule, dandelions, goldenrods, rajmahal hemp, cow-tree/palo-de-vaca(produces a latex than can be consumed like milk), and fig trees.

Paper Mulberry, Goat Willow, and Caragana Decorticans: I've heard their barks are so tough, a substitute for leather can be made from them. I've heard about this from http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_use.php?K[]=Leather.

Kombucha: It's a drink consisting of sugar and tea fermented by a mass of bacteria and yeats. I think when it's dried, it could substitute for leather. However, I would avoid kombucha, mainly because of its alcoholic(ethanol) content.

Fomes Fomentarius: The sterile part of this mushroom can be used as a suede-like cloth if treated properly and hammered. You could try to tan the cloth with plant extracts as you would rawhide and see if it resembles real leather(the fetishized kind) in appearance and texture.

Fruit Leather: A snack food made of flavored pureed fruit that is dried and rolled, so it's more of a candy substitute than it's for leather. Maybe if you somehow turned the fruit leather into a suitable substitute for animal leather, then you can make fashionable clothes and accessories out of it.
#12 Old 01-19-2006, 12:33 AM

I need help here!
#13 Old 01-26-2006, 09:44 AM

I thought you guys would have interest in this kind of stuff. I mean come on, this forum is full of animal-rights advocates and vegans.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page