WHY don't they get it? (people asking if you eat meat) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Beginner

This may, its 13 years since I gave up meat. Yet every year for my dad's side Christmas party, at least 3 people in the family will ask..... so you don't eat meat. Do you eat turkey? Fish? Chicken? How many times do I say this before they get it? Does anyone else have this problem? No wonder I dred the family party. I just want them to back off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM03 View Post

This may, its 13 years since I gave up meat. Yet every year for my dad's side Christmas party, at least 3 people in the family will ask..... so you don't eat meat. Do you eat turkey? Fish? Chicken? How many times do I say this before they get it? Does anyone else have this problem? No wonder I dred the family party. I just want them to back off.

Yes, I have been a veg*n for six years now and my mom and dad still offer me meat. They just do not get it! At least my husbands family has excepted it and they are getting better at the whole thing.

It is funny how families just do not get the whole concept of being a vegetarian.
#3 Old 12-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

MNM, how many people are at these gatherings? Do you interact with them outside of the holidays? If you have many, many people, and you only see them once a year, I could understand why someone might not have heard that you're veg, or how they could forget. Some families don't gossip about developments in a relation's life, either, so the forgetfullness might not be something you should take personally.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-08-2005, 04:46 AM
Banned

my grandma still forgets. don't let it bother you, people are like that. they don't really pay attention to anything other than themselves on many occasions and many times it is nothing against you, it may be that they are too wrapped up in everything that is going on in thier lives to remember everything.
#5 Old 12-08-2005, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't let it get to ya. Be a happy little veg*n and enjoy yourself as much as you can. I understand how you feel though, I havn't known this family for THAT many years, but still, whenever I go babysit, they'll ask me "So, are you still on that vegan diet?" I know that the mother was vegetarian for a while before she gave it up, but that dosn't meen that I'll give up my diet.

Holiday cheer, be happy, it's Christmas time (sorry if your Jewish)
#6 Old 12-08-2005, 09:22 AM
Banned

What skylark said.
#7 Old 12-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

People keep asking because they don't really know what meat is before it comes out of the plastic wrapper. And what shannon1976 said.

Keep on freepin' on

#8 Old 12-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Some people definitely see it as a "phase" that you'll get over. It's frustrating, because these are the questions that you deal with regularly when you first become a veg*n, and 13 years later (10 in my case) it's an absolute pain to have to repeat yourself. Sometimes I feel like saying to some of the people who ask me "So are you still on that high saturated fat and cholesterol diet?".
#9 Old 12-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Just saw this on another site. Thought you might appreciate it.

[attachment=3886:dino.jpg]
LL
#10 Old 12-08-2005, 07:47 PM

my closest friend was making pesto, with super fresh basil leaves JUST plucked from the bush, with pine nuts, then put in some OLD crusty rock hard cheese... and then offered me some, i was a bit surprised they forgot that i wouldnt have it, then said "oh yeah, its tainted now, nm, ive seen him eat lots of non veg stuff anyway..." (like plain potato chips...???) whats weird is that the day i told him i was veg, he went vegan right away after only 3 magical words i said, then gave up after only 2 weeks, and now tells me that im just brainwashed... hmm..... that does irk me a bit, and i feel like calling him a quitter sometimes, but i dont... should i?

anyways, carry on...
#11 Old 12-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Beginner

that cartoon was funny, thanks for sharing it!

thanks for replying everyone, its nice to see i am not alone and you get where i am coming from. ya i suppose it is because we arent close but i just dont get why it effects them anyway? i mean, i can feed myself, i am a big girl. i will just let it go in one ear and out the other should it come up again.
#12 Old 12-08-2005, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSiren View Post

Just saw this on another site. Thought you might appreciate it.

Attachment 6423

ah, dilbert! have you read scott adams' (dilbert cartoonist) book, "god's debris"? he does have alot of cool ideas, so many, that each topic is compressed to a page or 2 for a general idea... heh! still nice. he warns you in the introduction, this book is for the open minded only, and the extreme church goers, and people afraid of new ideas etc... probly shouldnt read the book...
#13 Old 12-08-2005, 09:43 PM

I know exactly how you feel...there are the people who make exceptions such as, turkey is foul...fish live in water...etc., that's when i say...if what you are eating is a dead animal then it is meat. I have many friends who raise cattle and 4H is big in my area so explaing veganism and vegetarianism to them is pointless. Many of my friends fear for my health and try and try to force meat and dairy onto me. They do not understand how healthy it is to go veg so i just quit explaing. But i still get the "how's the soy tatse" line
#14 Old 12-09-2005, 05:59 AM

On the positive side, my mom, who I thought would be the most resistent, actually decided that she'll make small dishes of her normal Christmas Eve side dishes without the meat just for me! Thanks, Mommy (I'm 43 BTW)

She makes a great Broccoli/Cauliflower salad that I've always loved (except it has bacon bits in it). She also makes a pasta dish (with ground meat). She's been very worried about what she can make that I'll eat... even though I've told her I'll bring a couple of veggie dishes (which I still will) and that I'm in no danger of starving to death anytime soon!

If my 65-year-old, very traditional mom can "get it", there's hope for anyone!
#15 Old 12-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

it happens to me every time i see my in-laws, which is about once a month. so, every time that i see them, they go "do you eat fish?" and so on. It was harder when i was vegan because they would make a dish "especially for you with fat-free cheese' thinking that i didn't eat cheese because of the fat. it didn't matter how many times i said things like "lactose intolerance" and "ethical considerations." they never heard it.

They still don't get it at all. it's ok though. it's because they're kinda dumb.
#16 Old 12-09-2005, 09:02 AM
Beginner

Most people are brainwashed and socially conditioned since birth into believing what society dictates as right, wrong, normal, abnormal, etc. In this country it's common to be raised with the social conditioning that eating/wearing animals is normal. When you are vegan, you have to deal with the mass brainwashed population that are still bound by socially ingrained ideals that they were taught to believe. A non-meat diet doesn't fall in line with their indoctrination, so they become easily bewildered by the whole concept. Anyway, when you hear the annyoing question about what you eat, or if you're offered a carcass of any kind, just be glad that you broke free from the brainwashed masses!
#17 Old 12-09-2005, 09:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I can tell you why some people get confused about vegetarians eating fish--because of misinformed people...

This is sooooo laughable.

My boyfriend's (my bf is vegetarian also) friend and his girlfriend told us one day that they had decided to be vegetarians. So, we were like--cool, good for you. Well, in a later convo his friend starts telling us how he went to Red Lobster for his b-day. So my bf, Matt, asks him, "What did you eat from there?" His friend says, "Fish, obviously...I'm a vegetarian, remember?" So, my bf says to his friend, "Vegetarian's DON'T eat fish!" His friend says, "So, wait...you don't eat fish?...dude I don't think you're getting enough protien."

Ahhhhhhhhhh!
#18 Old 12-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I think some of them are just trying to make conversation and don't know what else to talk about. I think as soon as they ask about one animal, just answer, "No, I don't eat any animals, no seafood, fish, chicken, insects. None!" and smile.
#19 Old 12-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

My family is pretty good about it. My grandma never quite got it, but she was rather old fashioned. After TG, my boyfriend's dad forgot and offered me some turkey leftovers, then caught himself and apologized. I said it was fine, it just meant that I didn't stand out as a Vegetarian at Thanksgiving!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#20 Old 12-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelbylou82 View Post

I know exactly how you feel...there are the people who make exceptions such as, turkey is foul...fish live in water...etc., that's when i say...if what you are eating is a dead animal then it is meat. I have many friends who raise cattle and 4H is big in my area so explaing veganism and vegetarianism to them is pointless. Many of my friends fear for my health and try and try to force meat and dairy onto me. They do not understand how healthy it is to go veg so i just quit explaing. But i still get the "how's the soy tatse" line

Because of the whole fish and chicken thing, have started to say (when talking to someone who wants to know what a vegan is) "A vegan is a person who does not eat chicken, fish, meat, dairy and eggs, some vegans do not eat honey and some do not eat sugar processed through bone char. Vegans also don't wear leather or fear, or basically, they do not, in any way, consume or use animal products or biproducts."

That basically says it all right there. But then I always get pounded for saying that I don't eat honey .
#21 Old 12-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

"They" (omnis) don't get it because of "veg*ns" who eat fish & poultry regularly, or who eat meat to be nice & friendly.

When these people stop calling themselves veg*n & tell the truth about their eating habits, genuine veg*ns will have things a whole lot easier, because I think that most of the omnis asking us if we want meat are only doing it because they know "veg*ns" who eat meat.

That leads them to think real veg*ns are difficult & pretentious, because we won't eat animal products.
#22 Old 12-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Beginner

yeah, especially over holidays my aunts and uncles still ask me.
#23 Old 12-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I see my grandma at least once a week and she sees me cook and knows I cook and my mom talks to her on the phone all the time, so I think she's mentioned that I don't eat dairy/eggs or at least that I'm vegetarian. She knows I drink soymilk too.

But today she asked if I eat turkey breast and I told her that I don't eat dairy/eggs/meat. I don't think she understands why though. It would bug me if she thought I was vegan because animal products aren't healthy.
#24 Old 12-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM03 View Post

Just tell them you don't eat anything with a face.
#25 Old 12-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Banned

Because people are retarded and insenitive to other feelings. Nobody cares where meat comes from as long as it good. They don't care about how animals suffer. I asked several poeple to watch meetyourmeat and they won't generally they respond with I don't want to know. That statement tells you people don't care about being ignorant or know the reality of it because it to real. That is sad that most poeple think that way.
#26 Old 12-10-2005, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megveggie View Post

Just tell them you don't eat anything with a face.

The problem with that saying is that it invariably leads to the shellfish question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page