Im getting a Tofurkey AND an Un-turkey for Tday! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-23-2005, 10:59 AM
Veggie Regular

have plenty to eat for a while now! Who else is getting what? Or do some of you make your own dish and not use something like this? I love the Quorn Roasts too, maybe have to still get one of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm think I'm going to make a soysage and apple stuffing loaf if I can figure out how to make it. Either that or a real simple nut roast I found a recipe for. I'm afraid I wont like the fake turkey's out there and then it goes to waste.
#3 Old 11-23-2005, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not getting one. I may get a chick patty to put some cranberries on or something. I don't expect to go further than that. I considered it though cause I could get a tofurkey roast for $6 or an unturkey dinner for $15 at the coop.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Beginner

I decided to make Walnut-Crusted Millet and Celery Root Croquettes as the main dish this year.
#5 Old 11-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemydragon View Post

I'm think I'm going to make a soysage and apple stuffing loaf if I can figure out how to make it. Either that or a real simple nut roast I found a recipe for. I'm afraid I wont like the fake turkey's out there and then it goes to waste.

Sounds good, only way is to try one ... Since i always know ill eat most of these things, i already have portioned a piece for my aunt/grandmom that ill save for them later, and a couple people at work. Most people are more opt to buy something if they try it. I think places like whole foods should have the few weeks before thanksgiving tofurkey and unturkey samplers, so people see that its great!

Unturkeys have a "fake" skin which i shivered even touching real dead chicken skin before, this is more like crispy soy based or something, its nothing like REAL skin so i love eating the unturkey skin, stuffing, fake turkey meat and all!

Ill probably have cranberry sauces, mushroom type dish, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes "god without the marshmellow gelatin bombs" and non meat stuffing, tofurkey and unturkey... should be good enough for a dinner lol.
#6 Old 11-23-2005, 12:31 PM

eeeeew i can't stand tofurky!
#7 Old 11-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I looooooooooooove tofurkey, it's awesome!!!!!
#8 Old 11-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Veggie Regular

We are eating regular turkey.

EDIT: I am not making anything special just for me since the rest of my family are meat eaters. I will just eat whatever is available on the table that is ok for me.
#9 Old 11-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not having any kind of fake meat on Thanksgiving. My main dish will be my granny's sweet potatos.
#10 Old 11-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I've never eaten turkey on Thanskgiving and I never had a fake turkey. I'll eat the sides and fill up on them. sweet potaotes, green bean cassorole....
#11 Old 11-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Butternut squash soup

Tofurkey

Sage and onion stuffing

Sweet pototo casserole

Mashed potatoes

Green beans (fresh steamed with a little bit of lemon)

and pumpkin pie.

This will be my dad's first vegan Thanksgiving and he's already starting to complain. Oh well ... My husband, daughter and I will enjoy it even if he doesn't.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#12 Old 11-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm having mashed butternut squash baked and layered with lentils, sweet potatoes, and walnuts. It's loosely based on a stuffed squash recipe on vegweb.

Everyone else is having turkey.
#13 Old 11-23-2005, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycoolcats View Post

have plenty to eat for a while now! Who else is getting what? Or do some of you make your own dish and not use something like this? I love the Quorn Roasts too, maybe have to still get one of them

Where did you get the Un-Turkey????

I went to Trader Joe's, the co-op, Wild Oats and to Whole Foods. NOBODY had the Un-Turkey. Plenty of Tofurkey, yes, but no Un-Turkey, and my sister insisted it had to be Un-Turkey. (She doesn't like the Tofurkey). Fortunately, at Whole Foods I found some 8 oz packages of Un-Chicken (and Un-Ribs, and Un-Steak), so we'll have that instead.

*this space not for sale*
#14 Old 11-23-2005, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I went to Trader Joe's, the co-op, Wild Oats and to Whole Foods. NOBODY had the Un-Turkey. Plenty of Tofurkey, yes, but no Un-Turkey, and my sister insisted it had to be Un-Turkey. (She doesn't like the Tofurkey). Fortunately, at Whole Foods I found some 8 oz packages of Un-Chicken (and Un-Ribs, and Un-Steak), so we'll have that instead.

i saw quite a few boxes of unturkey at the whole foods on national, probably about a week ago. the boxes were kind of beaten up, though, and i guess it's a bit late now.

i was considering a tofurkey, but i probably won't get one until after thanksgiving. i don't think we'll have any sort of "main" dish.
#15 Old 11-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynaffit View Post

i saw quite a few boxes of unturkey at the whole foods on national, probably about a week ago. the boxes were kind of beaten up, though, and i guess it's a bit late now.

Hmmm I wonder if it's an indication as to the preferences of SM/WLA veg*ans that the Un-Turkey has apparently vanished from the area, but there are still plenty of boxes of Tofurkey to be had.

Or perhaps the stores just stocked up on more Tofurkey than on Un-Turkey.

*this space not for sale*
#16 Old 11-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I bought the tofurky meal so I'm getting the roast with stuffing, some dumplings, gravy, and "wishsticks".

I would have made something myself but there's so many excuses to go buy something at the store that's already half done.
#17 Old 11-24-2005, 10:15 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm so desperately in love with Tofurky. I might ask it to marry me...

Love is in the air

http://photobucket.com/albums/b188/t...t=tdday002.jpg
#18 Old 11-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I am having dinner with my omni family and am preparing a small UnTurkey big enough for myself and whoever may want to sample it. I also made vegan fudge.

This will be my first UnTurkey experience... wish me luck!
#19 Old 11-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually make this sort of tofu "turkey" loaf-type thing and a couple yummy sides but I had no time at all this year. Soooo my boyfriend and I picked up a Zen UnTurkey, soup, maple sweet potatoes, and cranberry stuff... and I made a few other quick, easy sides. Let's see, so we have... Unturkey, the stuffing that comes with it, pumpkin curry soup, cranberry relish, maple sweet potatoes, cornbread, butterscotch yams and tofu pumpkin pie... and that's just the food that we're bringing to the table! There'll be lots of fresh steamed veggies and things too. Holy crap, I better go to dinner stoned so I can eat all of this. I finally just lost a few pounds too.. so much for that. Plus, we have a Jones' soda holiday pack that I can't wait to try.

We get to eat a little here, then pack up some stuff and go to my parent's house and eat a little more there. lol, what a ridiculous day for food.
#20 Old 11-29-2005, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Where did you get the Un-Turkey????

I dont think whole foods like put them out, they kept most of them back in the back room until the day before thanksgiving. I asked them months ago, and they got them in 1st week of November, i had them set one asside so i can go in and pick it up. making that this week
#21 Old 11-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah the new tofurkey dumplings are AWESOME! not sure whats in them, its a HUGE step up from that dry crap they used to put with the thing that was supposed to be a drumstick, ech, was hard to finish those.

Why does it seem so many of you dont like to have a main dish mocking the turkey? is it because you dont want to associate thanksgiving with a "fake" turkey or just havnt tried it? If theyre vegan/vegetarian why not?
#22 Old 11-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Why does it seem so many of you dont like to have a main dish mocking the turkey? is it because you dont want to associate thanksgiving with a "fake" turkey or just havnt tried it? If theyre vegan/vegetarian why not?

I just don't like mock meats that much, I've done tofurky in the past and didn't really care for it, though the stuffing is to die for! Also, in most people's familys the omnis are more likely to try and enjoy a nutroast, or a stuffed squash than a tofurky.
#23 Old 11-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

The reason I've never done fake turkey for Thanksgiving is because it's fairly expensive, and I'm afraid I won't like it or at least not like it enough to justify the expense. I'm not a big fan of fake lunch meat, so I guess I've always assumed I wouldn't be a very big fan of fake turkey roast either.
#24 Old 11-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm just not that into fake meats. OK, so I love Quorn nuggets dipped in sauces and I like a Quorn patty on a sandwich, but I'm trying to eat MORE vegan, not less, so I don't really want to add Quorn roast to my menu. I'm very doubtful I'll like Tofurkey-- I hated their deli slices-- and I've never seen Unturkey around here, and frankly, I don't need 'em to have a great Thanksgiving anyway. My roasted veggies in puff pastry with gravy, stuffing, and cranberry sauce were awesome!
#25 Old 11-29-2005, 01:29 PM

I've never been thrilled with the fake meats, and I've found that I can make a much better vegan main dish if I don't try to imitate the turkey. This year I did a mushroom/gimme lean puff pastry & lots of yummy sides.
#26 Old 11-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I like the Tofurkey, the only reason that I don't get it for Thanksgiving is because I did it last year and my mom seemed to be kind of insulted that I brought along my own food. She always makes all the sides vegetarian (if not vegan) just for me, and I think she was a bit hurt. This year she made tons of veggie stuff and made me my own main course, so I didn't miss the Tofurkey at all.

"I remember the days when we talked for hours/And we were young, we thought we had superpowers/We weren't our problems, our age or our paychecks/And we weren't taking anybody's $h*t."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page