What do I call myself? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2003, 06:33 PM

I know that I am a vegetarian, but I've been hearing you guys throw around words like ovo or lacto? Or something like that.

So this is me, the only thing I don't eat is meat. I still eat all dairy - cheese, milk, eggs...all of that.

So what do I call myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2003, 06:35 PM

lacto-ovo vegetarian / just vegetarian

if you only ate eggs (no milk, meat etc) then you'd be an ovo-vegetarian

if you only ate milk (no eggs, meat etc) then you'd be a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

ie. ovo = egg

lacto = milk

Beautiful fire are you 15? and is that your photo there? you look way older than 15, flip! you also look like andrea corr from the irish pop band the corrs in your photo!!
#3 Old 06-22-2003, 06:38 PM

HAHA! That is Andrea Corr! I don't have a photo of myself yet, so I chose a picture of one of the women I most admire.

Thank you for the expanation, I appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by veganmuncher

if you only ate milk (no eggs, meat etc) then you'd be a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

I don't think you meant to make this mistake, because you know what ovo means, but milk only means lacto-vegetarian, FYI.

And, yes bf, you are ovo-lacto-vegetarian, as I commonly see it printed and hear it said.
#5 Old 06-22-2003, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Lacto-ovo is much more accurate. If you were to say "just vegetarian", it would imply that you don't eat diary (milk, cheese, and eggs) either. As I understand it, vegetarian eats anything except animal products. A vegan seeks to remove animal products from both diet and lifestyle. I may be a tad off on the definations, but that's what I've always understood it to be.
#6 Old 06-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

lacto-ovo vegetarian.. or just vegetarian
#7 Old 06-22-2003, 10:08 PM

by the dictionary a vegetarian is someone who does not eat the flesh of an animal. In my opinion, and seemingly the dictionary's, you can call yourself a vegetarian and be safe from all "LOGICAL" argument. However, if you called yourself a lacto-ovo-vegetarian you would prevent yourself from ever being the victim of a "REAL" vegetarian's rage.

If you know what I mean.

rigmarole
#8 Old 06-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I do not eat fish (I believe fish is good for you, but I've never been able to eat it). As a result, sometimes I take these fish-oil tables that are full of the oils found in fish and omega-3's. They are also coated in a gelatin-made capsule. Although this is not animal flesh or meat, does taking these tables signal a downfall from vegetarianism?
#9 Old 06-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Brake4Squirrels

I do not eat fish (I believe fish is good for you, but I've never been able to eat it). As a result, sometimes I take these fish-oil tables that are full of the oils found in fish and omega-3's. They are also coated in a gelatin-made capsule. Although this is not animal flesh or meat, does taking these tables signal a downfall from vegetarianism?

Weeelllllll.... how do you think they get the oil from the fish?
#10 Old 06-22-2003, 10:25 PM
Veggie Regular

so would that mean i'm actually a pesco? even if it's just the oil? or an oil derivative of some kind?
#11 Old 06-22-2003, 10:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

AARRRGGGHH! THY VEGETARIAN HETHEN!!! BE GONE, VILE ONE!!! *flicks out a garlic/purewater blend*

Ok, I'm just kidding. I believe that no, it doesn't signal a downfall from vegetarianism at all. I have an exception to my vegetarian rule and that is that health and safety items are allowed to slide by. Meaning: I won't eat gelatin in a food product because I know where it's from but my meds have gelatin in them, so they are the exception. If I had a job that made me do leather or some other by-product (being a welder with a leather protection safety smock is the first example that comes to mind, but there are others) then, it's allowed. A job is necessary, so if there's animals in there, it's beyond my control range, so it's allowed also.

But in going back to the fish for omega3: if you want the omega 3 stuff, then I've heard that flax (both in seed form and meal) are a great source of plant-based omegas as well as walnuts which are better for the human body anyway. I think there are more, but that's all I can think of right now.
#12 Old 06-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Remember, B4S. We are vegetarians and we have a few more allowances than vegans do...
#13 Old 06-22-2003, 10:43 PM

no such thing as a pesco-veg, but feel free to use the term anyway lots of people do.

or you can do as I did. At www.veganessentials.com in their vitamin section they have vegetable source omega 3 essential fatty acids in a totally vegan capsule. Also there's "Spectrum Naturals Essential Omega 3" buttery spread which I picked up at Whole Foods. You could too. Those are but two of many options, also probably the easiest.

rigmarole
#14 Old 06-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

so would that mean i'm actually a pesco? even if it's just the oil? or an oil derivative of some kind?

They way I look at it is they have to kill the fish to steal its oil... so you decide how you feel about that and act accordingly. Don't make your choices based on trying to fit some label. Make your choices based on your ethics.

Ultimately that's what all this arguing around here (and my own insane frustration -- now cooled) boils down to.

PS - But please only use labels that properly describe your ethical choices.
#15 Old 06-23-2003, 02:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Wow Thanks for the insight and kind advice. Yea, I know other sources of the omega-3's. I'll have to explore my options and choices more I guess.
#16 Old 06-23-2003, 03:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Eeek, the capsules are made from gelatin!? That's boiled flesh and bone. You're an omnivore. End of story.

[/sarcasm]
#17 Old 06-23-2003, 05:33 PM

ah yes epski you're right what I ment to say was "lacto-vegetarian"

woops!
#18 Old 06-23-2003, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeeYahMK

AARRRGGGHH! THY VEGETARIAN HETHEN!!! BE GONE, VILE ONE!!! *flicks out a garlic/purewater blend*

Ok, I'm just kidding. I believe that no, it doesn't signal a downfall from vegetarianism at all. I have an exception to my vegetarian rule and that is that health and safety items are allowed to slide by. Meaning: I won't eat gelatin in a food product because I know where it's from but my meds have gelatin in them, so they are the exception. If I had a job that made me do leather or some other by-product (being a welder with a leather protection safety smock is the first example that comes to mind, but there are others) then, it's allowed. A job is necessary, so if there's animals in there, it's beyond my control range, so it's allowed also.

But in going back to the fish for omega3: if you want the omega 3 stuff, then I've heard that flax (both in seed form and meal) are a great source of plant-based omegas as well as walnuts which are better for the human body anyway. I think there are more, but that's all I can think of right now.

totally agree with you on the health and safety issue there mate
#19 Old 06-23-2003, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm more willing to bend for health and safety, too. After all, we're talking about survival issues, and if no other option is available, then you do what you must. As I've said elsewhere, vegans "seek to avoid" animal products and byproducts. If you have a medical or safety need, and there's no alternative, you've done what you can to seek to avoid, but you flat-out can't. Seems you'd still be vegan to me.

I simply don't accept it when people don't exhaust all options first, or find a way to rationalize something they want, and don't need.
#20 Old 06-23-2003, 06:49 PM

presactly

u do the best u can at the time, do the nicest alternative

what u don't do is turn down medication - we are dead lucky to live in the civilised world in a reasonably civilised age.

i had an ear infection recently and had to have gelatin capsules. Better that than going deaf in one ear and having to explain to people for the rest of my life...u get the picture...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page