VeggieBoards banner

Do you consider OREOs to be vegan?

Do you consider Oreos to be vegan?

23K views 116 replies 43 participants last post by  SortaVegan 
#1 ·
Do you consider OREOs to be vegan?

#6 ·
Canadian Oreos have different ingredients then American Oreos, if I remember correctly (there was a thread about a year ago when we were comparing American to Canadian ingredients).

Beyond that, if the cookie doesn't have meat, dairy, eggs, honey, etc in it, then it's vegan is it not?

#7 ·
I believe the only offending ingredient in some oreos is whey. Oreos that have no whey are going to be vegan. Unless there's another animal ingredient in them in some areas that I'm not aware of.

Whether they're vegan or not, they're certainly not good for you!

#12 ·
Here is the list from the Nabisco website

Ingredients: SUGAR, ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID), PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORNSTARCH, BAKING SODA, SALT, SOY LECITHIN (EMULSIFIER), VANILLIN - AN ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CHOCOLATE, WHEY (FROM MILK).

Not vegan. And still contains PHOs.

#16 ·
(only applicable to US, as that is all I am sure of)

OREO SANDWICH COOKIES GOLDEN ORIGINAL (vegan)

OREO 100 CALORIE PACK THIN CRISPS (vegan)

OREO SANDWICH COOKIES DOUBLE DELIGHT MINT'N CREME (vegan and my favorite)

OREO SANDWICH COOKIES GOLDEN UH-OH WITH CHOCOLATE CREME (vegan!)

OREO SANDWICH COOKIES HALLOWEEN ORANGE CREME (vegan- I didnt know that)

Regular and double stuffed oreos-NOT vegan

I am pretty sure everything is accurate, although my vision was starting to blur after reading the nutrition facts for so many kinds of oreos...

http://www.nabisco.com/Brands/brandl...Id=78&PageNo=1

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshTart View Post

originals are now? Nice!!! The last time I checked was probably 6 months ago.
I check frequently since I make a pie with oreo cookie crumb crust, but the stuff in the box has 2-3 different milk ingredients. I was using generic vegan oreo-style cookies and peeling out the whites, but oreos went on sale and I noticed they had a new package. I read it a zillion times, saw they are vegan now, and bought two.

If your store doesn't have the newer package they might not be vegan. But the ones I bought about two months ago were.

#22 ·
Regular Oreos in smaller packages (you might find in 7/11) are usually vegan like when they're in a small box, or small aluminum type bag thing... but for some reason when they're in the full size bag they have whey in them. Chocolate oreos are awesome and vegan in the reg size though.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I check frequently since I make a pie with oreo cookie crumb crust, but the stuff in the box has 2-3 different milk ingredients. I was using generic vegan oreo-style cookies and peeling out the whites, but oreos went on sale and I noticed they had a new package. I read it a zillion times, saw they are vegan now, and bought two.

If your store doesn't have the newer package they might not be vegan. But the ones I bought about two months ago were.
I also noticed the new packaging, but didn't think about checking.

<<<off to check

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

meatless---can you share that recipe? i am having a tough time with cookie type crust recipes!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.