Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-23-2005, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Any time lines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-23-2005, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

my packet of sanitarium so good soy milk says 'refridgerate after opening - use within a few (3 - 5) days'

I have kept it for over a week in the fridge with no discernable lowering in quality.
#3 Old 10-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Mine says 7-10 days, but if your fridge is cold enough it might last two weeks. Mine does sometimes. Just sniff it and dump a bit into the sink to see if there are any lumps are if it looks funny otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-23-2005, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Mine says use within 3 days of opening, but i've kept it refridgerated for about a week-10 days and it's been fine.
#5 Old 10-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Miine says 7-10 days, but it never lasts that long
#6 Old 10-23-2005, 09:54 AM
Veggie Regular

My Silk must hold the record. I've had an opened carton last a month before. When it goes bad, there's no question about it. It turns into extremely foul sludge-- and it does it overnight. If it looks and smells at least sort of OK, it's probably fine.

PS: That's one of the many everyday advantages of being vegetarian in my book-- so many of my staple foods last a long time both on the shelf and after being opened. Yay for no wastage!

And I feel much more comfortable using a rule of "looks OK, smells OK = is OK" than I ever would with animal products.
#7 Old 10-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeh, it's easy to tell when it's gone off... it goes all curdled and yuk. That's the point at which i wouldn't drink it, and i guess it happens at different times for different brands.
#8 Old 10-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't forget though that the bottom of a soymilk container may have "curds" in it - solid-ish parts - that are just unmixed soymilk and have nothing to do with freshness.
#9 Old 10-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeilingofStars View Post

Don't forget though that the bottom of a soymilk container may have "curds" in it - solid-ish parts - that are just unmixed soymilk and have nothing to do with freshness.

The smell gives it away.
#10 Old 10-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks guys.

I only ask because they had a sale on SILK. I bought a 2 litre carton of SILK and Chocolate SILK. That's a lot of drinking. I shoul dinvite some friends over for chocolate soy milk tomorrow. Mmmm.
#11 Old 10-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Administrator

I often forget when I opened mine so I keep a Sharpie marker in the drawer by the fridge. When I open it I write the date on top. After 5 days I dump it.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 10-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I often forget when I opened mine so I keep a Sharpie marker in the drawer by the fridge. When I open it I write the date on top. After 5 days I dump it.

After just 5 days?? Surely it's still OK... man, I keep drinking mine as long as it doesn't smell like parmesan cheese!
#13 Old 10-23-2005, 04:19 PM

I guess I've never actually had soy milk go bad on me... but I've thrown some out because of paranoia. Yay for Silk.
#14 Old 10-23-2005, 05:14 PM

I use Westsoy unsweetened plain and chocolate. I have had the plain open for 3 weeks and the chocolate open for a month with no problem. Like Tesseract said when it goes bad you will know it
#15 Old 10-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

It gets a very distinct smell when it's bad, for sure. I find that how long it stays good for depends on what the best before date - the closer it is, the faster it goes bad (reach waaay back in the fridge haha ). But I haven't had any go bad on me in a long time - that was just back when I was just getting used to it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page