vegans, when ordering at Taco Bell - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Be aware that the 1/2 pound Bean Burrito Especial on their Big Bell Value menu comes with creamy jalapeno sauce, which, you guessed it, it not vegan.

I didn't even order that; I asked for a bean burrito, and that's what they gave me. I opened it up and saw a dairy-like substance on my burrito so I took it back and asked what it was. They told me it was creamy jalapeno sauce. I asked if it was dairy based and they said yes. I told them that I didn't ask for that sauce, and they told me it was standard. I had never encountered it before (and I check every time) but it's online as an ingredient as part of the 1/2 pound Bean Burrito Especial.

So, make sure when you order you specify no creamy jalapeno sauce because you never know what bean burrito they might give you. I also asked about replacing the cheese with salsa, but this particular Bell doesn't have salsa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

How is there a Taco Bell without salsa?!?!?

That's like a pizza place with no sauce. Strange...
#3 Old 10-09-2005, 02:14 PM

woah, sounds like they were screwing with you, cuz like half the stuff on the menu comes with salsa! and on the taco bell site they say they will even sub all cheese and sauce for salsa if you order it "fresco style". before i knew the magic word fresco, all taco bells would charge me extra for the tomatos even tho i didnt get the cheese, saying that there was no other way. either they were all morons, or just greedy s***heads... but thats just as absurd as them telling you they dont serve tacos there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

It's a taco bell in a mall food court with a limited menu.

They didn't offer to sub tomatoes/green onions or anything, and acted like I was a moron when I asked about subbing the salsa. At first she said "I don't think we can do that," and I was like "Um, yes you can, it's called "Fresco style" and it's promoted on your web site" so she asked and then came back and informed me the store has no salsa, only hot sauce packets.

But that's not why I posted this, I figured I could warn some of you about the milky jalapeno sauce they're throwing on their bean burritos.
#5 Old 10-09-2005, 02:28 PM

well dammit! i ate one of those a few weeks ago, and had no idea! but **** happens, and ill remember never to get it again... i only go there cuz theyre the only place open after midnight
#6 Old 10-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

dude, a while back my i took my little sister to Taco Bell. i decided to get a bean burrito without the cheese. so i started eating it and it tasted kinda cheesy. i opened it, and there was no cheese. now i know why it tasted like that. the jalapeno sauce!!!!

thanks for posting this meatless.
#7 Old 10-09-2005, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the heads up! I certainly haven't been to a Taco Bell in many years but I do love bean burritos and would be quite happy being able to dine in a fast food place without being really unhealthy...I'd feel all superior to everyone else with their huge creamy meaty burritos and chili and whatnot, lol.
#8 Old 10-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugz View Post

... on the taco bell site they say they will even sub all cheese and sauce for salsa if you order it "fresco style". before i knew the magic word fresco, all taco bells would charge me extra for the tomatos even tho i didnt get the cheese ...

I had never heard of the whole "fresco style" thing until a few days ago - I always give them this long complicated order no meat-no cheese-no sauce-no sour cream- add salsa-add guacamole-add beans-add pico de gallo-add tomatos.... amazingly they get it right about 90% of the time!!

Here's a funny thread I just ran across in the Veggie Patch that sorta goes with this... https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=44256
#9 Old 10-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't even open that thread... the pretzel style thing scared me off.

I think next time I am going to print off the description of "fresco style" from Taco Bell's web site and have it on hand.

Given that they probably rotate through staff every few months it hardly surprises me that most staff don't know what it is.
#10 Old 10-10-2005, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugz View Post

well dammit! i ate one of those a few weeks ago, and had no idea!

I'm not sure how you couldn't know. It's a cheese sauce, very creamy, it's not like salsa. Unless they just didn't put much on.

Follow me on Twitter - @_jorts
#11 Old 10-10-2005, 11:06 AM

Another vegan friendly option for Taco Bell: 7 Layer Burrito(Flour tortilla, seasoned rice, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, and guacamole) Ask without any cheese or sour cream. =)
#12 Old 10-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

i thought i heard the rice wasn't vegan....
#13 Old 10-10-2005, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah someone mentioned in another thread that the rice is cooked with milk?! But I think they have two kinds of rice, because the kind in a 7 layer is pretty white, and the kind you get on the side is red like mexican rice. So who knows...
#14 Old 10-10-2005, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

In the past, the rice contained milk derivatives, but they have changed the recipe, and the rice is now Vegan.

Sorry your Taco Bell sucks. Of the four local Taco Bells I occasionally frequent, I have only had a problem once, and that was just a mistake that they quickly corrected. Most of the time, they even get the sub beans key right so I don't have to pay extra for beans instead of beef.

I do laugh everytime they put my Vegan Enchirito in the cheese salamander though. LOL!
#15 Old 10-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSHF View Post

I do laugh everytime they put my Vegan Enchirito in the cheese salamander though. LOL!

What's a dairy-derived amphibian doing in a restaurant? (Ummm.... what's a cheese salamander and why are they feeding your enchirito to it? )
#16 Old 10-10-2005, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

AFAIK, the rice isn't vegan. I can't find their ingredient list to verify this, but their allergy list (current as of 1 Mar 05), shows that the mexican rice has milk in it. I've read an ingredient list that someone else posted here a while back and the regular rice has sodium casinate in it. Unless they've changed the ingredients recently, I assume that the rice (both regular and the mexican rice) still has milk in it.
#17 Old 10-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually found out about the Burrito Especial by asking at the Taco Bell near here. The person behind the counter told me about the creamy sauce, and told me (when I asked) that it was indeed dairy-based. So it sounds like it may not be that way at all TB's. I eat there semi-often, and just get the regular bean burrito instead of the Especial, minus cheese. Cheap, and yummy. The tostada is good too, just have them 86 the cheese.

FWIW, I tried the "Fresco" style one time. I thought it was totally yucky. Perhaps I'm a salsa snob, or perhaps their salsa was just gross that day but it was not anywhere as good as the regular bean burrito IMO.
#18 Old 10-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

The rice is Vegan. I have read the side of the box at Taco Bell recently.

A salamander is the restaurant term for the appliance that melts the cheese on top of entrees.
#19 Old 10-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

AFAIK, the rice isn't vegan. I can't find their ingredient list to verify this, but their allergy list (current as of 1 Mar 05), shows that the mexican rice has milk in it.

It would show on that list has having milk because it normally comes with cheese.
#20 Old 10-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

*nods*

but I still can't find the ingredient list... just allergy information (which is nearly useless because of the toppings they put on).
#21 Old 10-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, it is kind of annoying that you can't see exactly what's in it. You can go through the nutrition calculator to get calories and other stuff, but not an actual ingredient list.
#22 Old 10-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the heads up meatless.

I usually just stick with the standard 7-layer fresco style.
#23 Old 10-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSHF View Post

The rice is Vegan. I have read the side of the box at Taco Bell recently..

I had checked once a long time ago - but was again curious about this today and I went to my local Taco Bell and asked for the manager and he actually brought the box that the rice comes in (already pre-made and in bags - you were right froggy) and let me read the ingredients off the side of the box... all the Taco Bells in the Northwest (Wa, Or, Idaho) anyway, use the same supplier and it is indeed VEGAN!!!!

The "natural flavorings" are even listed in parenthesis as paprika, garlic, onion and oregano... so.... YAY for that tidbit of info... when you have a spare hour or three to kill, go to your local Taco Bell and chat wth the manager... it's very enlightening...
#24 Old 10-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Has anyone dared to find out what 'Pretzel Style' is yet?
#25 Old 10-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I ask for a lot of sustitutions at Taco Bell (beans instead of beef, lettuce and tomato instead of sauce and cheese) and they always charge me extra, as if I would have requested extra food on top of the conventional ingredients.

But since our Taco Bells are staffed almost entirely by half-stoned and/or mentally deficient teenagers, I just pay the extra .25 and move on. I save myself (and them) a lot of headaches that way.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#26 Old 10-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Beginner

Luckily, I have not had any kind of trouble when I order at Taco Bell. Even at the Super Target Taco Bell they are always nice to me. Never did see though if I got charged extra. I need to look at that next time. And here I thought that substitution meant not having to pay more. ??
#27 Old 10-24-2005, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

*bump*

My question stands
#28 Old 10-24-2005, 08:53 AM
Veggie Regular

It was a confused employee's misunderstanding. It's not a real thing.
#29 Old 10-24-2005, 03:05 PM
Veggie Regular

"Pretzel Style" is something that exists only in that female employee's mind. (*shudder*)

ETA: Which is why the misunderstanding infuriated me enough to wait 30 minutes for a manager to appear. (I don't exactly have a life full of free time.)
#30 Old 10-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Beginner

Not to gross anyone out or anything, but I have heard that random Taco Bells pour the beef grease into the rice to add flavoring. Supposedly it's random places and not in the ingredients. I have noticed several times that my 7 layer burrito had greese spewing out of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page