Mistakes, Mistakes... (accidentally eating meat) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-30-2005, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok, so lately I had a really bad thing happen, and I will explain that in a minute. First, however, I want this thread to be an asking place for vegans. I wish you ask you all - What mistakes have to made regarding accidental ingestion of animal products? Here is why I brought it up...

So, my brother and I went out for a day. We were just hanging out, and we suddenly saw this indian reseraunt boasting its' vegetarian selection. SOO, we heading in. When we got in, we asked the lady what had no milk and was vegan. It was a buffet, so she pointed item by item and explained what it was, and how it was prepared. HOWEVER, when she got to the desert, she just pointed and said " No milk". So, there were two deserts. Which one had no milk? .... Anyway, we stupidly did not ask, and went ahead and devoured what we hoped was vegan. Then, we decided it desert time! We saw these balls... They looked like yummy balls of sweet dough in syrup. Not the healthiest, but we decided to give it a try. OMG, they were so sweet... We didn't know that bread could get that sweet from just soaking in syrup.

Anyway, we finished our "Gulab Juman " balls and were curious as to how to make them. So, we asked. " Ohhh " the owner of the reseraunt said. She proceeded to go through the entire buffet and tell us what was what - again. Then she got to the deserts. She pointed to one, and said " Purreed carrots and vegetable ". Cool... Sounded good. Then she pointed to the Gulab Juman, and she said " Fried Milk Balls". OHHH!

I so wanted to do many things all at once: Throw-up, scream, and punch her in the face. FRIED MILK-BALLS? .... WTF?!...

Well, being the gentlemen that we are, we said nothing, paid, and left. I felt terribly sick... All I have been living for for an entire year had been compromised. Now - due to this mistake - we have to start over. Vegan... Sad vegan.... Thats me. I am never, EVER eating out again, just to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Ankle Biter

I feel like I'm in the same boat. I fully intend to not eat any animal products at all. However, how far do I want to take the questions when I'm eating out? I know that when we go to my favorite Thai restaurant, I order off of the "vegetarian" section. And since I do cook some Thai/Asian dishes at home, I'm pretty comfortable with how the dishes I order "should" be made. But are they? And do I really want to go in the kitchen and read all of the labels? I mean, yes, of course you want to know what is in an unfamiliar dish, but even when you are familiar with something, a lot can change just based on the individual ingredients back in the kitchen. I guess I'm at the point where I usually just order the same stuff over and over, and assume it's vegan because, by God, it should be! And I guess the lesson you learned is that never assume something you are unfamiliar with is okay until you know exactly what's in it- and NEVER assume that the server and you have the same definition of "vegetarian"!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#3 Old 09-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Roger that, Poppy! Anyone have a simular experience with me and Poppy? I just feel terrible... Still! Any method I may have laying around the house to quickly push the dairy out of my system from this? So.... Sad...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-01-2005, 05:06 PM
Beginner

I never go out to eat, there's no vegan restaurants close by without having to drive 1+ hours to Chicago. But once at my aunt's house, I ate dip with bacon bits in it...YUCK. I even saw the container before she put it on the table and stupid me, I forgot. That was gross and I felt really yuck.
#5 Old 10-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a strict vegan, but I am a strict vegetarian, so for me the issue would be meat. I guess if I were a Buddhist, I would be Theravidin* (sp?) school, because I feel that if I accidentally eat something impure I shouldn't beat myself up over it-- I should just treat it as a learning experience and do better next time.

From a nutritional point of view, one serving of something with meat in it probably won't harm me nearly as much as the 32 years I spent intentionally consuming the stuff, so I can't get too excited about that, either. Just do better and be more careful next time. Last time it happened to me, I did spend the rest of the day feeling somewhat poisoned, but some fresh fruit and salad greens, and large amounts of water helped me feel better.

*The Theravidins have a rule that if it wasn't killed specifically for you, it's not forbidden to eat it. So they would presumably condone things like eating roadkill (ha ha) or accepting already killed and prepared meat to be polite if you're a guest in someone's home. The other major school of Buddhism, Pranayama, thinks this is all bunk and you should never eat meat under any circumstances.

PS: But I think even the Pranayamas would tell you not to fret too much if it happened truly by accident.
#6 Old 10-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

don't beat yourselves up guys, please. we all slip up every now and then, this isn't a contest to see who can be the best vegan possible (or even the best veg*n). rather, it is a venture to eat in a manner that is healthy for us, the planet, and the animals. one accidental, or even intentional slip-up does not undo anything, just accept that it happened, learn from the experience, and move-on. but don't beat yourself up over it.
#7 Old 10-03-2005, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I totally agree with Libellula. I'd probably be peed off if I accidentally ate something with meat in it (I'm not vegan) but honestly, there's no point ruining your life over it and swearing you're never eating out again. Next time you'll just know not to eat fried milk balls!
#8 Old 10-03-2005, 04:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I ate some weird brand of peanut butter containing actual butter. It doesn't really bother me, I try not to eat animal products but I don't let it rule my life. I don't obsess about reading labels -hence, eating real butter in the PB, hehe.
#9 Old 10-03-2005, 05:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

Now - due to this mistake - we have to start over.

I don't understand the idea of "starting over" - it's not a race to see who can build up the most consecutive years of veganism with no mistakes (although the more time the better)... If you're vegan now, and you will be in the future, that's what counts. Just be more careful when others prepare food for you, and use this as a learning experience

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#10 Old 10-03-2005, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I don't understand the idea of "starting over" - it's not a race to see who can build up the most consecutive years of veganism with no mistakes (although the more time the better)... If you're vegan now, and you will be in the future, that's what counts. Just be more careful when others prepare food for you, and use this as a learning experience

I think it sometimes helps to think "I've been veggie/vegan for x years", simply because it motivates people to maintain an unbroken record. Humans are anal like that. It doesn't really mean anything, but it's the kind of thing we're good at fixating on.
#11 Old 10-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I've bitten into meat on a few occasions, not because I made a mistake, but because someone in the kitchen did. In other words, I was assured something was vegan and somehow a stray piece of meat or dairy got in it. It's a very upsetting experience, but I don't let this prevent me from eating out because I have pleasant experiences eating out much more often than the "mishaps." I think it's a shame that some vegans decide never to eat out because they're afraid of making mistakes (or more likely, other people making mistakes). The more vegans eat out and let themselves be known, the more restaurant owners will start realizing that they should cater to vegans and have at least one vegan dish on the menu. Of course I live in an area with a lot of veg-friendly restaurants (and even a new vegan restaurant!), so that's easy for me to say. In any case, you shouldn't feel bad about yourself because of this incident or consider yourself any less vegan. Just learn to be a little more vigilant.
#12 Old 10-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I've bitten into meat on a few occasions, not because I made a mistake, but because someone in the kitchen did. In other words, I was assured something was vegan and somehow a stray piece of meat or dairy got in it. It's a very upsetting experience, but I don't let this prevent me from eating out because I have pleasant experiences eating out much more often than the "mishaps." I think it's a shame that some vegans decide never to eat out because they're afraid of making mistakes (or more likely, other people making mistakes). The more vegans eat out and let themselves be known, the more restaurant owners will start realizing that they should cater to vegans and have at least one vegan dish on the menu. Of course I live in an area with a lot of veg-friendly restaurants (and even a new vegan restaurant!), so that's easy for me to say. In any case, you shouldn't feel bad about yourself because of this incident or consider yourself any less vegan. Just learn to be a little more vigilant.

---------

To AussyJ: Because you are new at veg*anism, it's obviously difficult for you right now. Don't let your one bad experience at a restaurant spoil you for possible positive restaurant experiences in the future. Those of us who have been at this veg*anism thing for some time now have learned, often the hard way, how to negotiate in restaurants. Sometimes we are pleasantly surprised (in many nice restaurants, they will often make veg*an dishes specifically for us if we ask them), and unfortunately, sometimes we have to "make do" with what they have on the menu. All of these experiences are learning experiences for the future. Please try eating out again.

*this space not for sale*
#13 Old 10-03-2005, 03:12 PM
Beginner

Feeling that you failed because of a mistake that wasn't even your fault is a bit harsh. On Saturday night, I was at an Ethiopian restaurant which made a mistake. I order lentil sambusas (similar to Indian samosas) while a friend of mine ordered beef. The server clearly indicated which was which and set them down accordingly. My friend is from New Orleans and so we were very deep in conversation while we ate the appetizers. It wasn't until I was halfway done with my sambusa that I realized it was beef. Oops. No big deal. I drank some water to get the taste out of my mouth then switched sambusas with my friend. I've been the to place many, many times, and it was their first mistake. I still plan on going back. For a non-vegetarian place, they have a wonderfully extensive vegetarian menu that I like to support. Feeling guilty is an understandable reaction, but it really gets you nowhere, and it does not help the plight of animals at all.
#14 Old 10-03-2005, 03:19 PM

I bought what I thought was meatless chicken nuggets from the health food section at Kroger's, and it turns out it was real chicken! It makes no sense, they put real chicken nuggets in the middle of all the soy products. When I ate them, I was like "Man, this tastes like real chicken"...then I read the box and it was!

That whole accident threw me out of wack, and I kept wondering if there was a reason that happened and ended up giving up. Now I'm trying vegetarianism again. This Friday, on my 21st birthday, will mark two weeks of "starting over". Before I was doing it mostly to be healthier, and now I'm finding that I'm actually becoming disgusted by meat, and dairy!
#15 Old 10-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, thanks for all of the responses, guys! Helps to see that I am not the only one that makes mistakes. Whew! I was sure that my dumb mistake couldn't possibly be made by anyone else.

In terms of "Starting over". Yes, it is just a hting I have to say I have been vegan for X years, as someone stated. It is just easier to handle/remember in this way.

As for beating myself up over it: I have a tendency to do this a lot. It just angers me to think that I made a dumb mistake like that! I poisoned myself, as I see it. I am one of those really, REALLY strict vegans. I don't try to be, but I just am. I think it is more by habbit than by choice. Everytime I am even around an animal product, that " Meet your Meat" flashes in my brain. Poor animals... So, naturally, when I ate the milk-ball, even though it was non-knowing and a sincere mistake of judgment due to the accent and misunderstanding from the woman working at that resteraunt, I beat myself up over it because yes, though small, I did contribute to the pain of one animal. Like I said, strict Vegan. It can't be helped.

Anyway, I did get over it, as you may be able to tell. From now on, like suggested, I will just be more careful!

Just as to show you how strict I am: I went ot subway once and got a sandwhich I knew was Vegan. I even watched it be made! You know how the make it with gloves and the little mat that keeps if from touching the counter? Well, the girl working changed her gloves, but the sandwhich touched the counter. I knew that the counter had touched various meats, so I payed for the sandwhich and walked out, but I gave it to my mom instead of eating it, because even if tiny, I knew that there was a trace of meat on that very bread. Sad, I know, but like I said... I can't really help it. It is sort of a habbit now. My new way of life.
#16 Old 10-03-2005, 03:54 PM

The other day, I was going to get some soymilk, my phone rang, and I was still going about getting some milk. I was distracted by the phone, and was just thinking "milk", not "soymilk", so I accidently poured myself a glass of cowmilk. I poured enough for one drink in a cup, drank it, and I thought to myself, "wow, that tasted salty", didn't think anything of it, and I walked away. I went back to my room and I got a sharp pain in my stomach, and I started gagging. I ran back to my kitchen, and seen that I had got the cowmilk, and the gagging worsened. The uncontrollable gagging lasted for about two hours....it was horrible. I went vegan about 6 months ago, and this happened yesterday....I guess my body wasn't used to cowmilk.

I didn't beat myself up over it though. I just have to be more careful next time....
#17 Old 10-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

I've bitten into meat on a few occasions, not because I made a mistake, but because someone in the kitchen did. In other words, I was assured something was vegan and somehow a stray piece of meat or dairy got in it. It's a very upsetting experience...

That happened to me last night. Before going vegetarian, one of my favorite restaurants was On The Border. I haven't been there since because it's kind of hard to go meatless in a Mexican restaurant. But my boyfriend wanted to go, so we did. I ordered a veggie taco and cheese enchilada with black beans. I made sure the server knew I didn't eat meat and to put a meatfree sauce on the enchilada. No such luck. I was enjoying my meal, even after checking it out thoroughly before biting into it, when about halfway through I found two pieces of ground beef. Needless to say, I couldn't finish the meal. And what's worse, is that last night I got kinda sick to my stomach. I can't decide if it was my mind making me sick or actually something I ate. Unfortunately, I won't be going there again.
#18 Old 10-03-2005, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyesjr02 View Post

I poured enough for one drink in a cup, drank it, and I thought to myself, "wow, that tasted salty", didn't think anything of it, and I walked away.

Ewww.... ok I never liked milk... but "wow, that tasted salty" just reminds me too much of snot
#19 Old 10-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I have made quite a few mistakes, the first 2 major ones were when I first went veggie, I didn't realise (for about 6 months into being veggie) that gealtin was made from animals and carried on eating things with it in!

Also when I first went veggie I was eating my favourite chocolate mousse, I didn't even think to look at the ingredients thinking that there's no way chocolate mousse would have meat in, anly to find out about 3 months later that it had "pork fat" on the ingredients list!

I've been a lot more careful since, and especially after I went vegan, I read everything now, although I'm still not 100% on some of the more obscure names for animal ingredients, I usually carry a list of them around with me in case I'm not sure about something.

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#20 Old 10-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Pork fat in chocolate mousse!?! Oh, UGH!

Just goes to show, even the safest-seeming foods are suspect these days. What kind of world do we live in when there's pork fat in the chocolate mousse, chicken in the tea, chicken fat on corn chips, and gelatin in guacamole??

PS: Or worse yet, animal derived waxes on seemingly whole, fresh produce? That's the one that really gets me.
#21 Old 10-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Mistakes happen, and we have to accept it as part of life. Use it as a learning experience and try not to be too hard on yourself. Nobody can be perfect, just try your best.
#22 Old 10-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

No matter how long you are veg*n, you will always slip up once in a while. I've been doing this for 10+ years now and just tonight I picked up a package of noodles, assuming they were ok. I got them home to realize that they have duck eggs in them, of all things.

It seems like no matter how many labels you read, the one you don't will catch you every time. Ugh.
#23 Old 10-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Beginner

I made the mistake of eating something meat based after being vegetarian for 8 years now! It made me extremely sick - not a reaction I quite expected! My boyfriend and I went out to a Czech restaurant, as I've got Czeski roots and Mom recommended the place. Stupidly, I assumed that perhaps the gravy was made with a vegetable base (as I usually make it) but in retrospect I very much doubt it. It tasted very nostalgic, just like Grandma's cooking, and though emotionally I felt satisfied (as that it reminded me of younger times) it made me sick physically. The next day I had the WORST headache, felt dizzy, and slightly sick to my stomach. I had a fever too, and needed to leave work early. I went home and collapsed on my bed and slept for 14 hours straight! I couldn't believe that! What a reaction! I don't know what it was, but I am pinning it on something at the restaurant. Of course, that type of European food is made with lots of fat, so perhaps that was another thing I reacted to : lard and whatnot. I didn't even consider that - stupidly. Heh, my experience was not worth the nostalgia - so I won't be doing that again!
#24 Old 10-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Once I was driving home from my Mom's house and I was digging through this little bag of snacks she packed for me. I saw some Rice Krispie Treats and started chomping away. It was only mid Krispie that I realized that I don't eat gelatin and this definitely has gelatin in it. I guess I kind of was thinking back to my childhood when I used to eat those all the time and I was just stuck in the moment not really thinking about it.

I felt REALLY stupid for eating that. Almost too stupid to even share my experience. But I did. Here I am. Full of shame.
#25 Old 10-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually rice krispie treats can be made with marshmallow creme, instead of whole marshmallows, and there is no gelatin in that. So it's possible (altho probably unlikely...) that you didn't eat gelatin, if that makes you feel a little better.
#26 Old 11-18-2005, 05:28 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post

I ate some weird brand of peanut butter containing actual butter. It doesn't really bother me, I try not to eat animal products but I don't let it rule my life. I don't obsess about reading labels -hence, eating real butter in the PB, hehe.

that's really strange, WHAT kind of peanut butter uses real butter anyway
#27 Old 11-18-2005, 07:02 PM
Beginner

I think I discovered a piece of meat on the bottom of a slice of marinara pizza the other day, but I didn't eat it. It's bad enough my dad can't find any fast food places that sell vegan items around here.
#28 Old 11-18-2005, 08:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I accidentally ate green beans with added chicken fat and gum with added gelatin. I saw it as a learning experience and now am much more careful about label reading.

Tesseract: Gelatin in guacamole? Is gelatin usually present if ordering guacamole from a restaurant?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page