"I'm a vegetarian but I eat roadkill" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
Closed Thread

#1 Old 09-25-2005, 07:35 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I actually knew a man who used to do this. Um... seems he's not the only one.

If you read more of the article it's quite interesting. There's all sort of info on foraging vegetarian type food, too, not just rotting foxes.

Quote:
'I'm a vegetarian, but I eat roadkill'

Londons open spaces are stuffed with tasty, healthy wild food, if you know where to look. Nick Wyke meets a professional forager and learns to live off the land

A man is standing at my front door holding a dead fox. It is stiff with rigor mortis and seems to be grinning at me. The man wants to put it in my fridge and wonders if Id like to roast and eat it later. This might be a slightly less bizarre scenario in the countryside but here in the big city, I find it a bit shocking.

Fergus Drennan, the man with scratched forearms and dirt under his fingernails, at my door with a dead fox, is a professional forager. He is one of the few people in the country who genuinely lives off the land. Im vegetarian, but I do eat roadkill, he says

Another quote from later in the article

Quote:

We rummage in the long, slightly damp grass beneath the trees by the railway line, delve into prickly bushes and wade through clumps of stinging nettles. Its not long before the basket starts to fill with crimson hawthorn berries, sloes, blackberries, hazelnuts and a feast of salad leaves: common mallow, fat hen, chervil, chickweed, wild rocket and sorrel..........

...............And, dodgy fungi aside, foraged food is good for you. Many of these weeds contain more vitamins and minerals than ordinary vegetables. According to a study in Germany in 1987, there are 333mg of vitamin C in 100g of stinging nettles, compared with 13mg in 100g of lettuce.

Full article here

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...782566,00.html

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-25-2005, 07:53 PM

Well, that's obviously not vegetarian, although more humane (and gross).

Quote:
compared with 13mg in 100g of lettuce.

That part's just funny. We all know how hard it is to beat the nutrition of lettuce
#3 Old 09-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe he's like a freegan- someone who makes exceptions for food they find or is going to be thrown out. I personally don't have any moral problem with it unless it encourages him to be against measures to help keep animals from being hit by cars. (or swerving into them himself!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

As a result, there's less roadkill for non-humans to eat, but on the other hand it has been claimed that due to traffic, roadkill is a risky meal for non-humans - which means that his diet has the added benefit of removing that risk.
Purp likes this.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#5 Old 09-25-2005, 08:42 PM
Ankle Biter

Sorry, but that's just yukky.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#6 Old 09-25-2005, 09:07 PM
Banned

Poppy, is that your dog? It's so cute.
#7 Old 09-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Rather interesting concept. I personally don't see the difference between packaged meat in the grocery store and road kill. One is just messier than the other.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#8 Old 09-25-2005, 11:40 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

One is deliberately killed for you, the other is killed by accident and does not take another life. I find taking a dead body you found lying on the side of the road and eating it more ethically sound that having an animal deliberately slaughtered for you. Both are equally disgusting in their own ways.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#9 Old 09-26-2005, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Ethically sound? Maybe

Revolting? Definitely

Surely eating rotting old roadkill cannot be healthy? Parasites, worms, bacteria etc.
#10 Old 09-26-2005, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't see how it's more revolting then 'normal' meat.

As long as he does not do the killing himself, more power to him.
#11 Old 09-26-2005, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

My first made-up vegetarian joke was,

"What's the difference between a steak and roadkill?"

"The roadkill suffered less."

Not terribly funny, I know, but it makes a point about how I feel about meat. In that context, I would say that eating roadkill does seem far more accepable from an ethical point of view than paying money for the products of the factory farms and slaughterhouses. Still gross, though.
Purp likes this.
#12 Old 09-26-2005, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I found it amusing that he was quoted as saying

Quote:
“By drawing you out of introspection and connecting you with the calm of Nature, foraging energises you and helps you to forget your anxieties.”

...three paragraphs after the article says this:

Quote:
Although he has had a few run-ins with landowners and borderline fungi, he believes that as long as there’s enough left for other people, and the birds, and that you leave it looking nice, then it doesn’t harm anyone.

Yeah, I can see how eating some poisonous mushrooms might help you forget your anxieties.

Sounds pretty risky for those who haven't been trained or studied which sorts of fungi are edible and which aren't.

As for rigor mortis-ridden fox which has been pot-roasted, all I can say is ewwwww!
#13 Old 09-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Beginner

That's gross, but yeah, probably more ethical than eating meat from the store or killing it himself. He's not a vegetarian be definition though.

Other animals could have eaten the roadkill though, but it's not like he's eating every dead animal he sees. And there's so much roadkill, most of it probably goes to waste.
#14 Old 09-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Roadkill doesn't last more than a day here, we have so many scavengers. You'd have to practically be right there when it got hit.

Otherwise, it would be chewed on and rotten. Ew.

You can't be vegetarian and eat roadkill though, sorry.
#15 Old 09-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

You can't be vegetarian and eat roadkill though, sorry.

Guess he's one of them there flexitarians!

"I'm a vegetarian but I eat meat!"
#16 Old 09-26-2005, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd rather not eat roadkill myself.
#17 Old 09-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I can definitely see how eating an animal which died accidentally would be ethically preferable to having an animal killed for my meal. I'd be worried for this guy's health because of sanitary issues, though... maybe the fox got hit by a car because it was sick.

Ick.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#18 Old 09-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd rather not eat the roadkill either, but he probably saves animal lives doing so.

Most of the food you eat is probably commercially grown. Commercial farming practices includes techniques that result in animal deaths. Pesticides and tilling kills creatures. Plus there are more deaths from transporting that food from where its grown to where you buy it.

Roadkill is already dead. And it tends to be local food.

But still:
Purp likes this.
#19 Old 09-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

a friend of mine does this (but is not vegetarian). They forage for fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. And if she accidently kills an animal with her car, then she takes it home and eats it. At that point, the meat is fresh.

i think it's pretty gross if it's old road kill. but if it just happened, then whatever.
#20 Old 09-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

Locally grown, har har!
#21 Old 09-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

I'd rather not eat the roadkill either, but he probably saves animal lives doing so.

Most of the food you eat is probably commercially grown. Commercial farming practices includes techniques that result in animal deaths. Pesticides and tilling kills creatures. Plus there are more deaths from transporting that food from where its grown to where you buy it.

But still:

Getting roadkill out of the street often prevents further roadkill due to hungry scavengers.

This guy is not veggie, but is certainly a scavenger, and is eco-friendly by sticking with local foods.
#22 Old 09-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludi View Post

You'd have to practically be right there when it got hit.

I swear, that's the problem with things like roadkill and freecycling....
#23 Old 03-02-2015, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

somehow this reminds me the the whole joke of vegetarian vampires just eating animals...

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

#24 Old 03-02-2015, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I wonder if the guy would eat a dead human if he found "it" in the woods somewhere. Me thinks not. But nonhuman animals are still seen and regarded as "food", not persons. Sighs...

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#25 Old 03-02-2015, 06:04 PM
Oryzatarian

Eating the random human corpse you find would be illegal, a person could get into a fair bit of trouble over that.
People eat other peoples raw dehydrated placentas tho [no joke] and one of my chinese books says its most efficacious when consumed undried and a bit bloody, preferably as a smoothie. Its said to be vegetarian.
In the US some women eat their own placenta as health food [no joke], be cautious when stealing food at work.
#26 Old 03-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
Eating the random human corpse you find would be illegal, a person could get into a fair bit of trouble over that.
People eat other peoples raw dehydrated placentas tho [no joke] and one of my chinese books says its most efficacious when consumed undried and a bit bloody, preferably as a smoothie. Its said to be vegetarian.
In the US some women eat their own placenta as health food [no joke], be cautious when stealing food at work.

Although, L cysteine found in many breads and other commercial products may come from human hair. So I guess it isn't that far out there huh?

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#27 Old 03-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
It is thought that in the olden days women would eat their placentas, probably cooked in a stew. Since a woman's iron stores are low after birthing, it was probably a good idea healthwise, though of course it seems gross.

Some women after birth at my hospital ask for their placentas so they can eat them (dried usually), or plant it under a tree (some cultures.)
#28 Old 03-02-2015, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post
I actually knew a man who used to do this. Um... seems he's not the only one.

If you read more of the article it's quite interesting. There's all sort of info on foraging vegetarian type food, too, not just rotting foxes.

Quote:'I'm a vegetarian, but I eat roadkill'

Londons open spaces are stuffed with tasty, healthy wild food, if you know where to look. Nick Wyke meets a professional forager and learns to live off the land

A man is standing at my front door holding a dead fox. It is stiff with rigor mortis and seems to be grinning at me. The man wants to put it in my fridge and wonders if Id like to roast and eat it later. This might be a slightly less bizarre scenario in the countryside but here in the big city, I find it a bit shocking.

Fergus Drennan, the man with scratched forearms and dirt under his fingernails, at my door with a dead fox, is a professional forager. He is one of the few people in the country who genuinely lives off the land. Im vegetarian, but I do eat roadkill, he says

Another quote from later in the article

Quote:
We rummage in the long, slightly damp grass beneath the trees by the railway line, delve into prickly bushes and wade through clumps of stinging nettles. Its not long before the basket starts to fill with crimson hawthorn berries, sloes, blackberries, hazelnuts and a feast of salad leaves: common mallow, fat hen, chervil, chickweed, wild rocket and sorrel..........

...............And, dodgy fungi aside, foraged food is good for you. Many of these weeds contain more vitamins and minerals than ordinary vegetables. According to a study in Germany in 1987, there are 333mg of vitamin C in 100g of stinging nettles, compared with 13mg in 100g of lettuce.

Full article here

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...782566,00.html
That's not vegetarian, that's disgusting.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#29 Old 03-02-2015, 11:21 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Î agree with Purp, why is this even a thread on VB?
Purp likes this.

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#30 Old 03-03-2015, 04:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
That's not vegetarian, that's disgusting.

As long as it doesn't hurt anybody, who cares tho right?
Purp likes this.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page