I need support! [going back to vegan] - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-13-2005, 05:48 PM

Hello all,

Yes ok I admit, it's another "I'm no longer vegan" thread. (not on purpose, I swear)

I want to be a vegan again.... I'm currently lacto-veg, but I really want to stop eating dairy again. This is the scoop:

I went lacto-veg in March, decided to go vegan in May, did really well, felt good in all ways.....but last month (end of July/early Aug) I gave into a craving and it lasted a few days on and off of cheesey stuff. Then went vegan for a few weeks again.

Now these past 3-4 days I've had cheesey stuff everyday, cheesecake, or modified milk products (in food).

Uggggggggggggh. I'm not sure if I got bored, lazy (I suck at cooking and it bores me {but I know if I tried, I would be ok..}) or was weak, but in my heart and soul I know I am meant to be vegan. My boyfriend is omni but willing to eat anything vegan, (whis is great for me) but we still keep cheese, jalepeno poppers (that's what did it) and other dairy products in the house.

I have no craving for any other dairy (or meat/eggs for that matter, haven't touched those since before March), really only cheese cooked in/on things....nachos, pizza etc....

I love creamy stuff...ice cream, alfredo sauce, whip cream and gooey cheese. I am willing to give it up and/or try new things.....but I need suggestions.

My tummy is hurting from this crap.

I hate cravings and weakness.

Any tips, motivational sayings or links, tell me how gross dairy is, tell me how healthy NOT eating dairy is ......anything!!?! (SIMPLE recipes would be awesome too, and I will look in the recipe section)

Thank you all so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Soy ice cream is very good, I would consider trying some! Soy yogurt might as well just be dairy, it is so similar. Cheese is where it gets tricky, I know. I have heard good things about "Mac & Chreese", along with the "Uncheese Cookbook". With nachoes, just try adding a LOT of other stuff! Soy sour cream is especially good and you can get vegan refried beans anywhere. Add lots of veggies, peppers, and shredded soy cheese.

About the health...I believe personally that dairy is not the healthiest choice, however it will not kill you. I would try to abstain from it for the animals sake and try to remember what occurs before the cheese is packaged and sent to the grocery store. The torture and the mistreatment. If you cannot be vegan, I would definitely buy organic cheese/milk. It's better than eating just any old dairy, imo. Good luck!
#3 Old 09-13-2005, 07:09 PM

Like Countess says... i suggest you keep/buy dairy and cheese alternatives so you wont find yourself digging into eating something you later regret.

check out www.milksucks.com.. that should give you some information on why you shouldnt drink milk!!!

Goodluck!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Gross image: picture yourself nursing on a cow.

Healthy image: no increased risk of heart disease, no increased risk of diabeties and you already know about the tummy aches you won't get when you avoid cheese.

That being said, there are loads of good substitutes out there. If you can find nutritional yeast where you are, you can make a nacho sauce/pizza sauce that is to die for (look in the recipe section for punkmommy's cheese recipe - it will knock your socks off!). Alfredo sauces are super-easy to make, too - I think there are a few recipes around here for that and ice cream.... well, since you live in Canada, I'm pretty sure some of the Canadian members here will be more than happy to tell you the best brands of ice cream they've found. Heck, they might even tell you about other yummy substitutes you can get, too.

There's even a way to make vegan jalapeno poppers so you really don't even have to go without that.

OH! and that Uncheese Cookbook is the best! If you ever get a chance to get that cookbook, get it. The recipes in there are nothing but serious yum!

I don't know if you've had the chance, but there's a getting off of cheese/dairy support group here, too. It's found here. It's certainly worth checking out if you really want to get away from dairy.

Best of luck to you.
#5 Old 09-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I find that the best way to kill cravings for unhealthy foods is to replace them with healthy ones. To some extent it works to eat soy ice cream and things like that, but I've noticed that if I'm eating a balanced diet with plenty of health-supportive foods, I have much fewer cravings.

Are you getting enough veggies, fruits and protein foods? Healthy fats? Invest in some good vegan cookbooks, and instead of giving into the temptation to make all those yummy desserts in the back make some of the vegetable dishes and entrees with beans, whole grains, and veggies. Learn how to cook and eat lots of greens. It's not an easy way out, but it really does help with all the crap cravings
#6 Old 09-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

For whipped cream there is a product called Hip Whip that you can find in health food stores. For gooey cheeze, you can use the Roads End Organics "chreese" sauce packets or their Nacho "Chreese" Dips. There are also lots of nutritional yeast based cheeze recipes that you can find to make your own gooey cheeze sauce.

For sour cream, I personally love Tofutti's Sour Supreme and for cream cheese, Tofutti's Better Than Cream Cheese.

Quitting dairy (especially cheese) isn't easy, which is something I've tried and failed at. The best thing I can suggest is to start eating more foods that don't require you using a substitute to be vegan. Think of things here that don't require cheese going on top and cream or milk of any variety being added to. If you have cravings, fattier things like guacamole, dark chocolate, nut butters, hummus do help.
#7 Old 09-13-2005, 08:10 PM

"I hate cravings and weakness. "

You are not weak and cravings can be replaced. You will feel very good knowing your nourishment does not cause harm to anything else, and you can do it.

As far as product recommendations, when in Ontario I always get Amy's soy cheese pizzas, and sometimes get soy ice cream (forgot the brand though). I am sure you can get them in BC too!

If you have a hard time with pizza cravings, learn to make/eat soy cheese ones or just start ordering them with no cheese and get 2 or 3 new extra vegetables you normally wouldn't get. Artichokes, broccoli, etc....You might end up paying a little bit more, but it's quite tasty and you'll learn to like it.

Good luck!
#8 Old 09-14-2005, 07:24 AM

Thanks sooo much everyone, I really appreciate your suggestions and links!

I'm going to look into the uncheese cookbook forsure!

I do need to add more veggies and beans...I eat alot of fruit, whole wheat bread, pastas and rice, but my bean and veggie intake is low.

Thanks again
#9 Old 09-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned

Good luck with the transition back to vegan, Ella. I'm hoping to go back to being vegan myself.

Cheeseless pizza is surprisingly good (especially if you add herbs and black pepper to give it a bit of 'kick').

I'll definitely have to check out the Uncheese book as so many people seem to rate it.
#10 Old 09-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

A couple thoughts:

Cheeseless pizza is good, and if you put some grilled onions on it before baking, they sorta cook and "melt" down over the veggies or other toppings, and even though it's not cheese, it helps - and definitely is a yummy substitute.

Kreeli's site www.veganmania.com has some great recipes that include an "alfredo" sauce and cheesecake - all vegan and really quite easy to make!! I often make one of her recipes when I get a cheese craving...

The cheeses I really loved and still crave have absolutely no vegan counterpart, (blue and feta) and I thought eating them on rare occasions would keep me from craving them at other times, but that got to be more and more often so I finally decided it was easiest to just avoid cheese altogether.

Keeping the things you're craving out of your house definitely helps me.

Good luck!
#11 Old 09-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Banned

Ella you're too cute .

Monika
#12 Old 09-14-2005, 12:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella View Post

I need suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalsusta View Post

Ella you're too cute .

Gee, that's nice and all, but how is it relevant? - a tip or suggestion like the OP asked for...
#13 Old 09-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh--regarding pizza, personally I LOVE olive tapenade as a base for pizza instead of cheese. It's gooey, fatty and salty--a perfect replacement! One of my favorite pizzas is tapenade, grilled onions, roasted red pepper and sun-dried tomatoes. Yummmmm....
#14 Old 09-14-2005, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

go slowly. it's ok to cut back and wean yourself off. But it seems what hits you most are sweets that have dairy, right? when we crave sweets, it generally means that we're not getting enough fat in our diets. So, think about replacing cheese with avocados and creamy things like nut butters and also mango is good. Try to get enough oils in your diet by adding them to veggies. For instance, i nearly always toss my salads and/or steamed veggies with lots of good olive oil (and sometimes flax seed oil too). When i make a smoothie, i sometimes add coconut oil or hemp or walnut oil as these have great flavors that work with the fruit blends.

ok? you'll be fine! Good luck!
#15 Old 09-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Beginner

cook with a friend!!!!

my vegan friends and i lovvvve making lots of fun stuff, smorgasbord style
#16 Old 09-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Beginner

i was venting on another forum today about the transition and some advice i received was this:

"try just saying to yourself like "this week i wont eat ANY animal products." a week isn't very long at all. then you'll see it really wasnt too bad and you can try another week. before long you wont want to go back! if you must indulge , do so but supplement it with nice read on the truth about dairy. (i think milksucks.com or org is a site) "

it makes sense to me...i'm living at my moms for a few weeks more so i can't totally switch yet, but maybe if i commit to day by day it will be easier by the time i take possession of my place...plus, on that site too one of the girls suggested a vegan buddy sytem where a vegan adopts a veggie for support, and advice, so i have one of those
#17 Old 09-16-2005, 10:40 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
...we still keep cheese, jalepeno poppers (that's what did it) and other dairy products in the house.

I think that would make it very difficult for you- or anyone. I'm working on veganism- I can't say I'm there yet- and although I can walk by the dairy case without buying anything when I'm at the supermarket, I don't know how long I'd hold out if I had something like that in the house.

Some people suggested you remind yourself how gross dairy is (and I'd have to say it is gross- I mean, adults drinking milk is kind of bizarre when you stop to think about it- but... the milk of another species? What's THAT about?) I don't think that would work for me. The smell of meat and fish cooking doesn't even gross me out after all these veg years. But most people evidently lose their taste for food of animal origin after a time.

I also find, as several folks in this thread do, that fatty/creamy foods go a long way to satisfying cravings like those you're fighting.

Good luck- and be healthy!

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page