Chicken Wing Tangent - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-16-2003, 11:01 AM
Veggie Regular

My "Cooking Meat for the First Time in Years" thread got me thinking about this:

One friend at work turned my chicken wings down because she "can't eat meat off the bone;" it "grosses her out." Lots of omnis seem to feel this way; I know I used to too.

Seems like yet another example of the psychological disconnect that allows people to tolerate meat-eating; as long as it doesn't look like a dead animal, fine, but if there's bones/veins/cartilage to remind you of what you're actually eating, then it's "gross."

Do you guys know omnis like this? Funny, even though they are "disgusted" there doesn't seem to be any moral component (or overt thought process) to their revulsion. They just think it is "yucky" and leave it there -- and go get a cheeseburger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-16-2003, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

My family is the opposite. Maybe it's the whole hispanic/island farm bit but my family loves eating meat of the bones. I have to admit I did at one point too (when I was five through eight). The motto was "meat is sweeter the closer it is to the bone". I do know one of my friends once found a vein in her meat (of course) and got disgusted. She promptly went to her mother sulking about it and going "ewww i bit into it" and then exchanged her piece of meat with another one with no veins. Now is that just idiotic or is it just me?
#3 Old 06-16-2003, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

I admit I was like that before I went veg. My aversion to meat is one thing that told me a vegetarina life style was right for me. I have never enjoyed meat and what little meat I did like was very processed. I could never stand biting into flesh. When I got old enough to question this, I knew I wanted to be vegetarian (this started when I was 8 years old.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-16-2003, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Yea, I knew a girl that couldn't stand to have meat attached to the bone. Somehow, it would just gross her out and make her physically sick. She told me once that she also could barely stand meat that was off the bone, too and that's why she ate like a vegetarian (though she didn't want to be called a vegetarian ). I was omni then but could totally understand what she was talking about because I felt a lot that way, myself.

I've heard that "meater is sweeter" thing too and could never understand it. To me, meat was nothing more than grissle and mystery [email protected] with some threads of actual meat running through that was somewhat palatable, if done exacly right. The processed stuff was much worse for me; I didn't know what was in it and that made it harder for me to handle it and anything ground (hamburger, ground turkey)... ewwww, forget it! I gave up hamburger when I was old enough to say "no thank you" (I think I was maybe 4 at the time?) and anthing that was totally processed, was mostly fat and mystery hunks which was more of a turn-off than anything....

Maybe they're not "omnis, repulsed by animal resemblances", maybe they're "veg*ns that don't know it yet and havn't made the official transistion".
#5 Old 06-16-2003, 04:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Reminds me of the 2 times I've actually eaten a 'kroket' (Dutch deep-fried mystery meat). It grossed me out bigtime when there was this bit of real meat in there.

My sister (who was veggie and still is an 'opportunity veggie') doesn't eat meat that has bones in it either. She only eats the nice, clean () packaged-in-cellophane chicken and cow stuff.
#6 Old 06-16-2003, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular

When my cousin Al was younger, he wouldn't eat meat if it even had one *drop* of blood coming from it. Not even a speck of red could be left in it!

Last time my mom made roast beef, the blood was running all over the counter while I was trying to cook my stir fry.
#7 Old 06-16-2003, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Up until I went Vegan 3 months ago or so, I LOVE meat that was A) bloody, and B) boney. I loved the meat, the bones, the skin, and even some of the fat. I always called myself a big time carnivore.

Chicken wings were one of favorite, and my Mom and I used to fight over the turkey wing and skin each year. I never had an issue with eating me until I really opened my eyes this last year to what is going on..I gues that it is because I grew up on a farm, and really understood the raising and killing thing. Also, my stepdad was an avid hunter, so we also ate all kinds of game. We had "rabbit" beagles that would help them hunt rabbits (which we ate), there were tons of deer on our property (which we ate), we had a huge spring fed pond that would be layover for Canadian geese each year (which we ate), and my stepdad had a bunch of coon hounds that they would use to hunt raccoons with each year (which, yes, we ate).

I love the taste of meat, although for many years now I haven't liked chicken because it generally tasted dirty to me (except the wings, of course).

My meat eating days are over. I am not like many of you....I still salivate when I smell meat cooking - almost any kind of meat. But I know that I can no longer be a part of the systemic torture of animals.

I'm not sure what I would do if I was able to get real game (not the ones lured to an area with feed, or kept in pastures for hunters to kill). I don't have a basic objection to eating meat at all. My objection is the torture and mistreatment of the animals themselves.

The hardest thing for me, right now, is to be at a small party where there is meat being served. If I really have a problem, though, I just think of the "Meet Your Meat" (I wasn't able to watch much of it, to be honest), and I know that it is somewhat of a sacrifice for me, but it is nothing like the way that we sacrifice the dignity and well being of the animals on this planet.
#8 Old 06-16-2003, 11:59 PM
Veggie Regular

When I went to malaysia, we passed by a meat market where a vendor was plucking a chicken by putting it through a machine (it was already dead). Sucked the feathers right off.

My (omni) friend was appalled. Her response? "Where I come from, they don't do that to chickens!! That's inhumane!! MY chickens come on styrofoam trays with plastic on them and they don't have any skin or bones! but THAT (referring to the vendor) is disgusting!! And totally unsanitary!!"

I thought she was joking at first, but she wasn't. I still don't understand where she thinks "her" chickens come from. That vendor was probably MORE sanitary than the chicken "processors" we have here....

amy
#9 Old 06-17-2003, 04:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, my sister is like this. I offered to show her some pictures of what really happens to the animals, and she said NO WAY.

O asked if it was because she didn't want to see what really happened to 'meat' before she ate it, and she said" Yeah, If I saw what really happened I wouldn't eat it."

"So you don't want to see it?"

"No, meat is Yummy!"

(so long as she doesn't have to deal with reality).

Grrrrr.
#10 Old 06-17-2003, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Like Dee said, I prefer to think these people are veg*ns who don't know it yet! Maybe they just need a little help in the transition.

EquiPro-I, too, grew up on a farm. I saw hunting, fishing, and butchering on a regular basis. I was repulsed by meat from a young age (my journey of vegetarianism started when I was eight.) It's strange how we all react so differently to our environements. I do agree with you, however, that growing up in that environment has made me have more of a respect for people (hunters, farmers, whatever) who treat animals more humanely rather than factory farms and processing plants.
#11 Old 06-17-2003, 02:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Equi-Pro- good for you!

Sometimes I wish I had grown on my disgust with hamburgers, sausage and whatnot and gone veg*n. (I did a year + ago, vegan 9 months ago). I always thought hamburgers were gross- would'nt eat em. My brother looked at a why vegan packet and went "Tori, that's gross..." Really? :/

I guesss its that Ignorance Is Bliss thing for some people, they just dont want to know. It drives me crazier too!
#12 Old 06-17-2003, 11:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I work for a publishing company that produces a hunting magazine. It is a very small company and all of us know and work closely with one another. Many who work there are squeamish when we have group game barbeques where animals are served who were killed by a staff member. I often laugh at how squeamish many of my coworkers are about the boar or whitetail deer that others are eating while they scarf down their hotdogs and hamburgers. They are fools, plain and simple. If you eat an animal, any animal, and then become high-handed about others consuming an animal not customarily eaten in your culture, then you are an elitist, racist fool. I see it too often to think differently.

My mother, father, and best friend often drive me to distraction with their incessant need to eat flesh that has been as "sanitized" as possible while slamming others they deem lesser from their ivory towers. It angers me to a special extreme that goes beyond meat eating and enters the realm of racism, classism, and down right foolishness. Such behavior is an exercise in willfull ignorance that I find inexcusable and worthy of mockery.
#13 Old 06-18-2003, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

One of the things I remember is when me and my bro were eating chicken wings, and we saw the feathers on it. Yuck!

(Oh man, now I don't feel well)
#14 Old 06-18-2003, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

On a similar note to quizeen, it's odd how some people say that eating cats and dogs is wrong but eat beef. We seem to view some animals as friends and others as food. 'Tis a funny world.

Anyhow, I find it weird that people would ant to eat meat on the bone. It just seems kinda odd to eat flesh right off the bone. I guess that it's just easier when it's sanitized, which probably explains most people's desire for sanitized meat. I mean, you see a hamburger, and it doesn't look like it comes from a cow. Even a steak doesn't look like the muscle from a cow. But when the bone & blood is there, it's a reminde rof where your food came from.

Now I'm going to have some falafel, right off the bone!
#15 Old 06-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Quizeen

Many who work there are squeamish when we have group game barbeques where animals are served who were killed by a staff member.

Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

it's odd how some people say that eating cats and dogs is wrong but eat beef

Expanding that note a bit more ... I think it's odd (or at least ironic) how many omnis can be grossed out by hunting. "Oooh, how can you kill that poor deer?" while they're putting a bunch of chicken and beef into their shopping cart. I'm anything but pro-hunting, of course! But I have a certain level of respect for someone who at least knows that they're eating a dead animal and has the nerve to kill it themself.
#16 Old 06-18-2003, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I do think as a society we have become so far removed when it comes to where all our food comes from. I think we would have much more respect for our food and what we put in our bodies if we had the experience of being part of it's growth, production, whatever. I'm thankful for having grown up on a farm and seeing these things first hand. I think people would be more mindful of what the put in their bodies if they didn't feel so separated from it all...whether they are vegetarian or omni.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page