i don't *feel* like a vegan...... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-23-2005, 06:05 PM

even though i am. i've rid my apartment of all that crap, dairy, eggs, cheese, got rid of my shampoo and facial cleanser in place of vegan alternatives, but i don't feel any different. i mean, i was pretty close before, i still ate cheese and used eggs for baking, but i've been drinking soymilk and eating soy ice cream for years. anyone else have similar experiences??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-23-2005, 06:14 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't know what you mean. how would you feel different? do you mean you don't identify easily with the label?
#3 Old 08-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Perhaps you were looking for some more internal ethical/ moral satisfaction?

In which case as you say you were almost vegan anyway, so the jump is not that big, to get that rush of "wow, I've done well!"...but over time that satisfaction will grow as time stacks up a longer history of being vegan.

If you are talking health benefits then the same also applies...

hmmm not sure if thats what you meant...

I went from Omni to vegan within a few weeks so I did get that "this is great" moment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-23-2005, 06:49 PM

Just like losing your virginity, it's probably not going to leave you feeling like a different person...

Sorry, I couldn't resist

I'm kind of lost. What were you expecting? I don't feel very different as a person, although I do feel healthier. Is that what you meant?
#5 Old 08-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Beginner

I think I know what you mean. I used to eat everything in site, slowly I became vegetarian and then became Vegan in the last two months. I have done extensive detoxing to coincide with it though, not coming in contact with anything known to me or by science as having a negative effect on the human body (as much as is possible). To refer to what you were saying about "feeling different" since the time I've became Vegan I have paid very close attention to my "inner workings", my mental and physical being. Unlike your situation I did begin to feel quite different, but to a degree, which brings me to my point. You can eventually change on the inside as far as sensual/physical/spiritual but at the same time you have to be able to be fully aware of your own body and know that there are limitations if you are limited in the effort that you put forth. You have to be fully concious, patient and ever learning of yourself and what drives you. Be aware of what you are allergic to if even so slightly. If you eat wheat do you begin to feel tightening in your nasal cavity? Does your cooked dinner end up leaving you feeling drained, sleepy? Do you feel "down" alot? If so, which ingredients are causing it? Every morning you wake up take note of how you feel inside. Are you hard to wake up? Are you tense? Keep track of your Ph level also, try to keep it near alkaline. The main thing to remember is that your whole life has lead you to who you are now, your functioning patterns are set, it's not going to change very easily unless you figure out how to make it change, but rest assured it can be done. I am still in this process myself. Hope this helps...good luck
#6 Old 08-23-2005, 07:55 PM

One thing is for sure. I did feel different indeed. But, let me tell ya those changes graually happen not overnight.
#7 Old 08-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Baby Love

*pokes arm* Feels about right to me.
#8 Old 08-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you should get involved in an animal rights organization ( if you are not involved in one already), which would make you feel like you are doing more for the benefit of animals, feeling "more vegan", if you will say . As a vegan, I feel that I need to be invovled in an A.R. org because I can connect with other like minded people with a very similar lifestyle and also raise public awareness to others about the conditions that animals are dealing with for food/clothes/entertainment and such.
#9 Old 08-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't feel any different either. I'm still the same person I was 3 years ago, minus the meat, dairy, eggs, honey, leather shoes, animal tested products, ect. . . I do have a clearer conscious though.
#10 Old 08-24-2005, 01:36 AM
Veggie Regular

It takes a few days before you start having the penguin visions.
#11 Old 08-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't feel like one either. For 2 years only two dairy products (butter last month, and some chocolate just after I started) have passed my lips.

However, I'm not that bothered about wearing leather shoes, I agree with zoos, I don't like/support PETA, I probably wear make-up and other products that aren't animal friendly and I support the killing of rodents.

So compared to most people on here, I'm not a 'vegan'. Probably a strict-vegetarian-who-supports-rat-killing.
#12 Old 08-24-2005, 04:29 AM
Veggie Regular

umm, I'm not sure how you're supposed to 'feel'. could you explain?

B
#13 Old 08-24-2005, 08:27 AM
Beginner

I think I know what you mean. I transitioned to a vegan lifestyle 3 months ago, and now that I'm all settled in, I don't feel any different; it feels like I've been doing this my entire life. When I used to think about the possibility of being vegan years ago, it seemed impossible and that I'd have to become some sort of superhero to ever live accordingly, but now that I am, it doesn't seem like there's been drastic changes.

Did I come close?
#14 Old 08-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you're just one of those types that don't feel that "aha!" epiphany as others seem to.

Not everyone has that feeling, you know, and it's not a pre-requisite to being vegan.

Maybe you just have that "don't feel like a vegan" feeling cause you've felt like one all along and JUST NOW got the outer lifestyle to match with your inner beliefs?

Just a thought.
#15 Old 08-24-2005, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mush View Post

I think I know what you mean. I transitioned to a vegan lifestyle 3 months ago, and now that I'm all settled in, I don't feel any different; it feels like I've been doing this my entire life. When I used to think about the possibility of being vegan years ago, it seemed impossible and that I'd have to become some sort of superhero to ever live accordingly, but now that I am, it doesn't seem like there's been drastic changes.

Did I come close?

EXACTLY!! this is exactly how i feel, i always thought it would be so impossible to do but it's like i've been this way my whole life. everything's exactly the same, i just don't eat pizza anymore.
#16 Old 08-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I think the way you feel, mistakes, is indeed proof of the fact that it is not a massive, difficult and hard-to-achieve thing to go vegan. Most of that sort of thought is a product of people's misconceptions of veganism. IE- It's about self-denial. It's hard. It's unhealthy. Etc.

Be glad you have chosen your diet/lifestyle for the reasons you did.

Isn't that enough?
#17 Old 08-25-2005, 04:40 AM

it sounds like a good thing to me. the more natural and normal it feels, the easier it will be to maintain. this is the 2nd time i've switched from ovo/lacto to a vegan diet. i remember the first time it seemed so hard and i eventually slipped back to being ovo/lacto, although i retained some of my vegan ways like eating cereal with rice milk. this time it has been super easy for me. i don't see ever going back. maybe it's because vegan products are becoming more and more accessible.
#18 Old 08-27-2005, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

After the initial transitional phase (digestively), I didn't really feel remarkably different from before I went vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page