Supporting vegan dishes at meat serving restaurants - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2003, 09:06 AM

Let me know what you guys have to say about this...

Should I be concerned with supporting restaurants such as Burger King by purchasing the BK Veggie?

- If i do buy the sandwich I am supporting a company which is one of the top meat purchasers in the world BUT i telling the company that there is interest in the sandwich and they will continue to keep it an option for other people.

- If i do NOT buy the sandwich I am not supporting BK's meat business BUT BK may then not see the profitability of the sandwich and discontinue the BK Veggie removing the option for those people that would consider vegetarianism (and just need an option).

Thanks in advance for your insights...

-Mo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2003, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Support the vegan dishes! no question about it in my mind.
#3 Old 06-12-2003, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Yup, if sales of the BK veggie are high, they'll see that vegetarian food has a market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-12-2003, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I support the BK veggie burger because it means that I have an meal option besides a salad when we go there to eat.
#5 Old 06-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

If you have no other problems with the company's policies/practices then by all means support their vegetarian options.

On the other hand, McDonald's in particular and Burger King to a somewhat lesser degree (very "somewhat") are reprehensible companies for far more reasons than just the amount of meat they purchase.

Both have abysmal hiring/labor relations policies, McDonald's is a known union buster, both serve sub-standard food lacking in decent nutrition, both make it a point to flood poorer markets with their products, both engage in practices that are extremely detrimental to the environment (beyond animal product usage), and both are corporate megaliths that use their cash and power to crush opposition on both corporate and social justice levels (think Italian food critic and Greenpeace activists).

It's nice that they're trying to make even more cash by exploiting what they believe to be a heretofore untapped market for their "product." But, I say F*** 'em. Their cons far outweigh their pros. I'd hate to think that the sum total of my convictions lay in my veganism to the exclusion of other moral/social/political concerns. The BK Veggie and McDonald's excuse for a veg burger are just far too little too late to even be relavent.
#6 Old 06-12-2003, 11:45 AM

You'll never be entirely rid of places like McD's or BK and I doubt that they'll change to be 100% like what companies veg*ns usually prefer to do business with. I say it's a good middle ground. I know that a few of my not veg*n friends have tried the BK veggie burger and liked it. So, in my book, if it moves people toward not eating animals I'm all for it, be it one step at a time.
#7 Old 06-12-2003, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I didn't start going to BK more than I ever did, but now when my family gets fast food, I can tell them to pick one up for me.

I also will support it when I am on the road. Turnpike restops (in the Midwest at least) are notoriously anti veg. Last time I drove across OH and PA, I at nothing but fries and at one point a whopper, no meat.

I brought a lot of snacks with me, but after hours and hours, you want something different (and preferably warm).
#8 Old 06-12-2003, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

I noticed the same thing - when I am driving long distance most of the exits only have fast food restaurants. Occasionally a subway will appear, but if I am in a pinch - I like being able to get something i.e. the veggie burger that is going to fill me up for awhile.
#9 Old 06-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Banned

I choose to not support fast food chains like BK and McD for countless reasons other than the fact that they serve meat. they do other things that are worse than that, and i believe i'd avoid them at all costs even if i was an omni.

i think it's definitely a step forward that they serve veggie burgers, but i personally would't want to support that kind of industry.
#10 Old 06-12-2003, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

oh there's lots of things I dislike about McBurgerQueen, but any step in the right direction I'll support.
#11 Old 06-12-2003, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

if burger king or the like happened to be the only place in the world i could get food, and eating there meant the difference of living a long fulfilling life w/ jason lee, or a painful miserable death by starvation, and to top it off their food was completely vegan, i still would not support them.

‎"I just think there's something in being lost. I never feel lost. I just think, 'Oh. I've taken a diversion'." ~ Karl Pilkington
#12 Old 06-12-2003, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Overall, I say support the veggie options. The people who are against supporting them have a lot of valid reasons, but all things considered that's my opinion. The "mainstreaming" of veg food has got to be a good thing.

However, I don't do fast food myself (had the BK 3 times, last time maybe 6 or 8 months ago). Too many gross experiences with fast food joints, and I don't think the BK Veggie is very good. Haven't had the McVeggie -- don't even know if it's available here.

I wish there could be veg fast-food restaurants in my area as some of the Californians have described having in theirs. Heck, I wish I had any veg restaurant option period!
#13 Old 06-12-2003, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat fast food anymore if I can help it. Those places have the lowest grade meat and highest fat count, and the mass produced meat industry exists soley because of fast food joints, and if another one opens, the more demand they have for cheap chemical meat.

If fast food places didn't exist, meat wouldn't be nearly as bad for you. It's those places that have started this obesity epidemic, cause they tell you to eat massive amounts of food because it's only 39¢ extra, so why not? I don't know why people don't question the quality of the meat when they get a 99¢ double cheeseburger. Somethings wrong somewhere. Fast food joints are an atrocious addition to our world and the more of them that close, the better.

I can see your point about supporting fast food joints that have veggie choices, but the fact that BK has a veggie burger still doesn't make me wanna eat there. I'll suggest veggie burgers to the Irish Pub in my neighborhood, or go to my local diner for a veggie burger and pay twice as much before I'd go to BK.

Whew! I feel better.
#14 Old 06-12-2003, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

jwnyc: Well, good point, it's not only fast food omni restaurants that are serving (and should be encouraged to serve) veggie options.
#15 Old 06-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat at McDonald's or Burger King b/c I think they are soulless corporations.

I am perfectly happy to eat veg*n food at an "omni" restaurant, though. Who knows how many people are opting for the veg*n dish who aren't veg*ns and wouldn't go to a veg*n restaurant. Every little bit helps.
#16 Old 06-12-2003, 02:16 PM

I don't go to fast food places very often. I just don't like them very much, and I don't have a lot of options.

My father is a manager for a major US quick serve restaurant (neither McD or BK), so I have always been around the industry. His chain is "less bad" than either McD or BK, I can always go get a nice baked potato or a big spring mix salad. Still, having a veggie burger at such an establishment would be nice.

I was at a fast food place somewhere in Ontario Canada and was vegan at the time. It was so nice to be able to order a well-cooked and dressed veggie burger, without needing to haggle about cooking it on the meat grill. I can't remember the chain, unfortunately, but I was very pleased to have options beside a small green salad.
#17 Old 06-12-2003, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

i dont support them.
#18 Old 06-12-2003, 03:56 PM
Veggie Regular

It's always a back-up for me. I'd never go out of my way for these products, but I strongly encourage my omni friends who go out for fast food to give the veggie burgers a try.
#19 Old 06-12-2003, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by jwnyc

I don't eat fast food anymore if I can help it. Those places have the lowest grade meat and highest fat count, and the mass produced meat industry exists soley because of fast food joints, and if another one opens, the more demand they have for cheap chemical meat.

If fast food places didn't exist, meat wouldn't be nearly as bad for you. It's those places that have started this obesity epidemic, cause they tell you to eat massive amounts of food because it's only 39¢ extra, so why not? I don't know why people don't question the quality of the meat when they get a 99¢ double cheeseburger. Somethings wrong somewhere. Fast food joints are an atrocious addition to our world and the more of them that close, the better.

I agree with the above. I have no desire to patronize any major fast food chain, even if they do have veg options. I grew up eating the garbage, and it took me a long time to wake up and realize I was poisoning my body. I thank God I did, the way I ate the stuff I would have surely ended up dead.
#20 Old 06-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyk

However, I don't do fast food myself (had the BK 3 times, last time maybe 6 or 8 months ago). Too many gross experiences with fast food joints, and I don't think the BK Veggie is very good. Haven't had the McVeggie -- don't even know if it's available here.

I guess I'm not really interested in supporting a veggie product that still tastes like crap. But I'm not a big fan of veggie burgers in general and the one time I tried the BK was very disappointing.
#21 Old 06-12-2003, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had it many times, and there were 2 times when it was overcooked and I didn't like it. I also didn't care for it when it came with lettuce. But if I order it my way, and they don't overcook it, then I love it.. and I usually have one at least once a week if not more.
#22 Old 06-12-2003, 10:30 PM
Banned

I'd support them (maybe) if I was a veg*n for trendy reasons.
#23 Old 06-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Veggie Regular

The only thing McDonald's is good for is a restroom on the road.

Have you had your pee break today?
#24 Old 06-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Banned

Due to the stink in that dump I prefer to pee my pants.

I know vegans who do use McDs restrooms and some have pointed out that what they serve to the toilet bowl is probably safer to eat than what McDs serves to customers.
#25 Old 06-12-2003, 11:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Quizeen

The only thing McDonald's is good for is a restroom on the road.

Have you had your pee break today?

yeh i stop and use their bathrooms when in desperation

why not?
#26 Old 06-12-2003, 11:41 PM
Beginner

I think participating in the change will make a difference. If we dare to enter these establishments and order a veggie burger, perhaps a link will start, ie: employment practices, etc.

Showing we appreciate their efforts and sales increase, who knows where it might go?

I know, it's been so long since I've been in either place, it'll feel really strange (maybe the roof will cave in on me). But I'm willing to go for the greater good!
#27 Old 06-13-2003, 12:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I prefer McD's apple pies to their McVeggie.
#28 Old 06-13-2003, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurmudgeon

Due to the stink in that dump I prefer to pee my pants.

Hell, I almost did when I read that.

Vegluv, I don't think that a connection would be made by corporate at McDs or Burger King between purchasing a veggie burger and better labor practices. Some mega-corps are just too far gone.
#29 Old 06-13-2003, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I would probably occasionaly get a BK veggie burger for convenience sake if the bun was vegan. I have no desire to eat it without a bun....plus the thought of having to explain to them to microwave it instead of putting it on the grill (plus god knows what meat drippings are on their gloves when they take it out of the microwave) just doesn't appeal to me. It's easier just to not bother.
#30 Old 06-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by epski

I prefer McD's apple pies to their McVeggie.

Their pies are vegan? I didn't know that. Not that I should be eating them because of their high fat content anyway....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page