What do you think of meat? to all, but really want to hear what christians think - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 08-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Banned
 
naturalsusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 710
hi all,



what do you really think of meat. this is what i think.



what really bothers me is that i don't like when people put a bad reputation on meat. i don't know if i'm saying that right hehe. i don't like when people lable meat is dirty and filthy and all out unclean. also when meat is looked upon in disgust. for me being a christian. i pray over mainly everything i eat. when you pray over your food it is cleansed. that food has been sanctified by the word of God. it is holy. it is a creature of God. it's not unclean. also, another thing i'm finding confusing is that i don't understand how you can love animals and call their flesh disgusting? how do you do that? is it disgusting because is has died? would you think that it is disgusting if the animal is not dead? do you think that the flesh is disgusting when you look at it? i'm confused. i don't know if many here just think that animal flesh or meat is dirty and unclean or just that you don't like animal flesh because you know that is was a living animal at first?



will somebody please talk on this matter. i would really like to hear from you. thanks in advance. God bless.



Monika
naturalsusta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 08-13-2005, 04:16 PM
Banned
 
kirkjobsluder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,276
Well, I'm not Christian, and I don't think that meat is unclean. It's just something I don't want to eat.
kirkjobsluder is offline  
#3 Old 08-13-2005, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalsusta View Post

also, another thing i'm finding confusing is that i don't understand how you can love animals and call their flesh disgusting? how do you do that? is it disgusting because is has died? would you think that it is disgusting if the animal is not dead? do you think that the flesh is disgusting when you look at it? i'm confused.

Animal flesh isn't disgusting in itself, whether the animal is dead or not. But animal flesh considered as food is disgusting.



Human fingers aren't disgusting, they're just fingers. But if someone offers grilled human fingers to me, I will say "eww, that's disgusting" .

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 08-13-2005, 04:46 PM
Newbie
 
west2100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 77
I think meat, in circumstances, is able to be "clean", but considering the way food is processed and obtained, it is the epitomy of unclean in most cases. Literally.



As well, meat in most(nearly all) cases is less than desirable to be put into your body. Cholesterol, saturated fats, hormones, vaccines, steroids, and all other types of chemicals used to be able to produce enough meat so that every man woman and child in America can have a triple portion on their plate at every meal.



Sure, find me salmon, raised in the wild, caught by your own line, and prepared from raw to fillet in your own kitchen, and yes, I may consider it clean. But please, do hurry, I'm not sure how much longer the streams and rivers you're looking for are going to be around, much less the fish, we need the room to expand, the populations's going up, and the new generation needs their steak.
west2100 is offline  
#5 Old 08-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Banned
 
naturalsusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by west2100 View Post

I think meat, in circumstances, is able to be "clean", but considering the way food is processed and obtained, it is the epitomy of unclean in most cases. Literally.



As well, meat in most(nearly all) cases is less than desirable to be put into your body. Cholesterol, saturated fats, hormones, vaccines, steroids, and all other types of chemicals used to be able to produce enough meat so that every man woman and child in America can have a triple portion on their plate at every meal.



Sure, find me salmon, raised in the wild, caught by your own line, and prepared from raw to fillet in your own kitchen, and yes, I may consider it clean. But please, do hurry, I'm not sure how much longer the streams and rivers you're looking for are going to be around, much less the fish, we need the room to expand, the populations's going up, and the new generation needs their steak.





hey ummm, west. i don't know if i'm just dumb or if it's just that what you said is hardo to understand. haha. can you explain it better for me? thanks.

the last part. thanks.



Monika
naturalsusta is offline  
#6 Old 08-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Newbie
 
west2100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 77
No problem. With the population expanding rapidly as it currently is, forest is being turned into farmland. The Unites States population consumes more calories per capita than any other nation in the world. Our excesses require a support system. Much of the land used for agriculture in this country/region is to support the cattle and beef industry.



As our populations increase, so does our consumption. Thus we need to provide fuel for the support system that sustains the population. So more agricultural land is required. Obviously this land cannot come from urban areas, or areas already populated by humans, so we must turn to the uninhabited, wild areas to meet our needs.



My point, in short, was that I believe mass produced meat is, in fact, inherently less clean than wild. However, we cannot support our population based upon wild game, only through mass production. So the type of meat which I view as the most clean is a resource that is rapidly decreasing. From quality to quantity, so to speak. Along with this goes the inherent problems with mass production, and thus my reasoning.
west2100 is offline  
#7 Old 08-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Newbie
 
guitargirl03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 94
I don't think meat is 'dirty' I just think that the way animals are killed is inhumane. I'm not a very religious person, but I do believe in the biblical quote "...love your neighbour as yourself..." meaning that I believe every living creature should be treated in the same way.



peace and love amy-jane xx
guitargirl03 is offline  
#8 Old 08-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
I think the same thing I would think if one day my arm was stocking cans on a shelf, and then the next day someone was eating my dismantled arm.



And meat tends to be much much dirtier than most vegetables. I used to carry a dishrag around with me, cleaning every surface that my raw chicken had touched.
froggythefrog is offline  
#9 Old 08-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
bethanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,914
Ummmm...I don't mean to be gross but I had a thought. If your mother died, who you love, would you cook and eat her? Or your best friend?



You love them...why would it be disgusting to eat them? Do you have any pets? If your pet died, would you eat your pet?



I think some people just apply this basic principle of not eating dead animals to all living beings, and not just humans and pets.



That's just basic though. There's also the idea of HOW our food comes to us, which is just inhumane...everything that is pumped into those animals that end up on tables...antibiotics, growth hormone...



I grew up watching animals slaughtered, as my grandmother raised animals for food...chickens, rabbits, cows, geese. I've held baby bunnies only to watch them grow up, hang from a tree and have their skin peeled from their bodies. But at least those animals were raised 'naturally', and had very good living conditions right up until that point.



There's a problem here. Praying over your food (and hey, I'm a Christian myself) will not make the inhumane treatment of those animals disapear...will not erase the chemicals inside the meat...will not eradicate whatever bacteria are present.



I prepare food that I consider what you'd call 'holy'. Whole, good foods that aren't processed or died...for nourishment. In a way that is in keeping with what I believe as a Christian and human. My 'blessing' over the food is a way of saying thanks for what I have...to be grateful for having food in the first place.



B
bethanie is offline  
#10 Old 08-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

I think the same thing I would think if one day my arm was stocking cans on a shelf, and then the next day someone was eating my dismantled arm.



Precisely what I was going to say.



Not to mention how common e coli currently is, and that it comes from animals' bowels. Meaning that poopy and bowel juices are transfering it onto the meat.
GhostUser is offline  
#11 Old 08-13-2005, 07:24 PM
Banned
 
catgirl67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,754
I'm Christian, and I don't think meat itself is unclean, it's the way it's processed, and the suffering involved that turns my stomach.
catgirl67 is offline  
#12 Old 08-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
I've wondered, too, about the tradition of saying "grace" before a meal. Our ancestors had a real "need" to say grace as the next meal wasn't necessarily guaranteed, at least not in a timely or abundant manner. But today, when we all have too much food, frankly, and when we have such a huge supply of unnatural and inhumane food, do we really honor God by thanking Him for it? I do not mean to be disrespectful, and I certainly understand the need to be grateful for what we have, but I also think that our gluttony and greed have spoiled these gifts.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#13 Old 08-13-2005, 08:38 PM
MEM
Veggie Regular
 
MEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 749
I don't view meat as unclean. Most of my friends and family eat it, and it doesn't bother me when they do.

The part that does disgust me is the lack of respect of the animals who provide the meat. They're not treated like living, breathing creatures but as product; something to be made, not raised. I just don't see factory farms as being part of what God intended when He made the request of us to care for all living creatures.
MEM is offline  
#14 Old 08-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
bethanie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I've wondered, too, about the tradition of saying "grace" before a meal. Our ancestors had a real "need" to say grace as the next meal wasn't necessarily guaranteed, at least not in a timely or abundant manner. But today, when we all have too much food, frankly, and when we have such a huge supply of unnatural and inhumane food, do we really honor God by thanking Him for it? I do not mean to be disrespectful, and I certainly understand the need to be grateful for what we have, but I also think that our gluttony and greed have spoiled these gifts.





Exactly!
bethanie is offline  
#15 Old 08-13-2005, 09:32 PM
Banned
 
catgirl67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I've wondered, too, about the tradition of saying "grace" before a meal. Our ancestors had a real "need" to say grace as the next meal wasn't necessarily guaranteed, at least not in a timely or abundant manner. But today, when we all have too much food, frankly, and when we have such a huge supply of unnatural and inhumane food, do we really honor God by thanking Him for it? I do not mean to be disrespectful, and I certainly understand the need to be grateful for what we have, but I also think that our gluttony and greed have spoiled these gifts.



I try to thank God for everything that he has given me, including food. There were times, when I didn't have much food, and I was grateful for what I had. I still say grace, not so much for the meal, but for his provision.
catgirl67 is offline  
#16 Old 08-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,282
I don't think you could pray over a piece of chicken that is infested with salmonella and make it clean. I don't see what religion has to do with this (or anything really). I think God gave everyone independent thought so that we could make decisions for ourselves and not follow religious leaders and the bible with blind faith (which, IMO, is equivilent to ignorance). There is no faith if you can't question it and come to your own decisions. Much like schooling, regurgitation is not the same as knowledge.



In any event, I severely doubt that God put animals on the earth so we could torture and murder them. It is not at all respectful to other living things to have them suffer at our hands and then kill them and gorge ourselves on their rotting flesh. I think proof that humans eat too much meat is that so many people DIE from diseases that could be prevented from reducing meat consumption. (Maybe that's God's way of punishing meat eaters because He didn't mean for us to be treating His creation like that?) While humans may have EVOLVED to eat meat, they didn't EVOLVE to eat it in the sheer volume that it is consumed today.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
#17 Old 08-14-2005, 10:01 AM
Vegan Police Officer
 
Diana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,211
It's not that meat is unclean or disgusting. It's the fact that one is eating that what God gave man to look after and care for. He never gave instructions to kill animals for food. In fact, in Genesis (chapter 1) it is very clear that God meant man to be a vegetarian:



"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."



He says that herbs and seeds are to be our "meat". He gave us dominion over the animals in order to look after them... not to kill them for our nourishment.



(I'm not a Christian by the way (not at ALL!!!!) but it is clear to me that if Jews and Christians really obeyed the very first chapters in their Holy Books, then they would definitely not eat meat. All the other chapters that follow which speak about how to kill meat, and the Jewish laws about not mixing meat with milk... it's because they ignore the very very first instructions that God gave them. No wonder religions are so mixed up and so contradictory. People just never LISTEN!!!!)
Diana is offline  
#18 Old 08-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Tofu-N-Sprouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

I don't think you could pray over a piece of chicken that is infested with salmonella and make it clean. I don't see what religion has to do with this (or anything really). I think God gave everyone independent thought so that we could make decisions for ourselves and not follow religious leaders and the bible with blind faith (which, IMO, is equivilent to ignorance). There is no faith if you can't question it and come to your own decisions. Much like schooling, regurgitation is not the same as knowledge.



In any event, I severely doubt that God put animals on the earth so we could torture and murder them. It is not at all respectful to other living things to have them suffer at our hands and then kill them and gorge ourselves on their rotting flesh. I think proof that humans eat too much meat is that so many people DIE from diseases that could be prevented from reducing meat consumption. (Maybe that's God's way of punishing meat eaters because He didn't mean for us to be treating His creation like that?) While humans may have EVOLVED to eat meat, they didn't EVOLVE to eat it in the sheer volume that it is consumed today.



^^^What she said...
Tofu-N-Sprouts is offline  
#19 Old 08-14-2005, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post


(I'm not a Christian by the way (not at ALL!!!!) but it is clear to me that if Jews and Christians really obeyed the very first chapters in their Holy Books, then they would definitely not eat meat. All the other chapters that follow which speak about how to kill meat, and the Jewish laws about not mixing meat with milk... it's because they ignore the very very first instructions that God gave them. No wonder religions are so mixed up and so contradictory. People just never LISTEN!!!!)



In that respect, you do have to consider that in the New Testiment Jesus told his followers that they could scrap all the rules of the Old Testiment. Thats why Christians don't follow the dietary (and millions of other rules) of the Old Testiment. And yet, they use old testiment scripture to condemn homosexuality. Hmm.. that makes sense. </sarcasm>

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
#20 Old 08-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Vegan Police Officer
 
Diana's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,211
If Jesus was an Essene (which is what most historians believe today), he was himself a vegetarian. Essenes were strict vegetarians and condemned animal sacrifice as well.



Also, I do not recall anywhere in the New Testament where it speaks of Jesus eating meat (although I may have missed out on something when I studied the Bible). However, he did not condemn his fishermen friends. But nowhere does it say, I think, that he actually ate the fish. The miracle where he multiplied the bread and fish is probably only symbolic. The Bible is full of symbolism.
Diana is offline  
#21 Old 08-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Elizabeth_Cade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalsusta View Post

hi all,



what do you really think of meat. this is what i think.



what really bothers me is that i don't like when people put a bad reputation on meat. i don't know if i'm saying that right hehe. i don't like when people lable meat is dirty and filthy and all out unclean. also when meat is looked upon in disgust. for me being a christian. i pray over mainly everything i eat. when you pray over your food it is cleansed. that food has been sanctified by the word of God. it is holy. it is a creature of God. it's not unclean. also, another thing i'm finding confusing is that i don't understand how you can love animals and call their flesh disgusting? how do you do that? is it disgusting because is has died? would you think that it is disgusting if the animal is not dead? do you think that the flesh is disgusting when you look at it? i'm confused. i don't know if many here just think that animal flesh or meat is dirty and unclean or just that you don't like animal flesh because you know that is was a living animal at first?



will somebody please talk on this matter. i would really like to hear from you. thanks in advance. God bless.



Monika





I'm a Christian and I'm confused. Are you posting this pro-meat or am I having difficulties reading because my eyes are too tired and my brain is mush?



I believe Jesus was a vegetarian. Was it said in the bible that he ate meat? Sure, he fed the people fish and bread, but did it ever say that Jesus himself ate the fish? No. And, sure, there was the Last Supper, but it didn't say what He ate, did it? No, I'm pretty sure it didn't.



Hmm. How is eating a dead animal clean, even if it is prayed over? That meat, prayed over or not, is still filled with chemicals and toxins...and it's still a dead corpse. I'm trying so hard not to sound mean--so please don't think I'm trying to be mean or cruel, because I'm normally a very peaceful person.



Jesus' message was one of love, peace, and kindness. The slaughter of countless animals every year, for many years, is not one bit loving, peaceful, or kind.



That's really all I have to say right now.



(BTW, rabid_child, it's not right to stereotype one religion like that. I took it personally. There are good Christians out there, who follow whatever they can, and try set an example; yes, there are bad Christians (like my dad), who *think* they are doing things right, but they are only giving Christians a bad name. And, lastly, I may be pro-life, but I DO believe in gay rights.)
Elizabeth_Cade is offline  
#22 Old 08-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_Cade View Post


(BTW, rabid_child, it's not right to stereotype one religion like that. I took it personally. There are good Christians out there, who follow whatever they can, and try set an example; yes, there are bad Christians (like my dad), who *think* they are doing things right, but they are only giving Christians a bad name. And, lastly, I may be pro-life, but I DO believe in gay rights.)



Christianity is a catch all name for a broad range of religions. I for one was raised Roman Catholic I wasn't referring to INDIVIDUAL Christians, but the Catholic Church (as well as leaders of other CHRISTIAN organizations) does say a lot of awful things, does not believe in gay rights, etc... "They" in this case, was referring to religious group leaders, not every single Christian. (And you can't tell me that the Catholic church, for example, does not condemn MANY groups of people for a lot of ridiculous reasons. i.e. According to the Church much of my family s going to hell because they aren't Catholic.)

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
#23 Old 08-14-2005, 05:09 PM
Veggie Regular
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
Elizabeth:



Susta is a Christian who seems, in my assessment, to not have figured out exactly where she stands on vegetarianism. In my extremely humble, not-involved-in-her-life opinion, it looks to me like she's still figuring out how all the pieces fit together... A lot of us, Christian or otherwise, go through this when our beliefs are challenged or changing.



Susta, I am presuming a lot here. If I am presuming incorrectly, please forgive me.



Froggy







Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_Cade View Post

I'm a Christian and I'm confused. Are you posting this pro-meat or am I having difficulties reading because my eyes are too tired and my brain is mush?



I believe Jesus was a vegetarian. Was it said in the bible that he ate meat? Sure, he fed the people fish and bread, but did it ever say that Jesus himself ate the fish? No. And, sure, there was the Last Supper, but it didn't say what He ate, did it? No, I'm pretty sure it didn't.



Hmm. How is eating a dead animal clean, even if it is prayed over? That meat, prayed over or not, is still filled with chemicals and toxins...and it's still a dead corpse. I'm trying so hard not to sound mean--so please don't think I'm trying to be mean or cruel, because I'm normally a very peaceful person.



Jesus' message was one of love, peace, and kindness. The slaughter of countless animals every year, for many years, is not one bit loving, peaceful, or kind.



That's really all I have to say right now.



(BTW, rabid_child, it's not right to stereotype one religion like that. I took it personally. There are good Christians out there, who follow whatever they can, and try set an example; yes, there are bad Christians (like my dad), who *think* they are doing things right, but they are only giving Christians a bad name. And, lastly, I may be pro-life, but I DO believe in gay rights.)

froggythefrog is offline  
#24 Old 08-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
borealis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 4,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalsusta View Post

hi all,



what do you really think of meat. this is what i think.



what really bothers me is that i don't like when people put a bad reputation on meat. i don't know if i'm saying that right hehe. i don't like when people lable meat is dirty and filthy and all out unclean. also when meat is looked upon in disgust. for me being a christian. i pray over mainly everything i eat. when you pray over your food it is cleansed. that food has been sanctified by the word of God. it is holy. it is a creature of God. it's not unclean.



I feel there is a difference between spiritually clean and physically unclean.



When you say that God has sanctified your food, you are talking about spiritual cleanliness, correct? Ancient religious prohibitions against certain kinds of flesh as unclean are spiritually based (even if there may be a physical reason as well.) Like pork for Jewish and Muslim peoples -- it's regarded as unclean, but not because it's physically filthy. A pig might be butchered in pristine conditions, but your average Jewish person would still call the flesh unclean.



However, I think when people talk about meat being dirty and unclean here on VB, they are usually talking about physical uncleanliness. Because of the way animals are butchered and their flesh is kept before being eaten, much of it is contaminated with bacteria and other organisms. Though you could pray over a half-cooked hamburger and regard it as spiritually clean, you're still taking a chance on getting food poisoning.





Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalsusta View Post


also, another thing i'm finding confusing is that i don't understand how you can love animals and call their flesh disgusting? how do you do that? is it disgusting because is has died? would you think that it is disgusting if the animal is not dead? do you think that the flesh is disgusting when you look at it? i'm confused. i don't know if many here just think that animal flesh or meat is dirty and unclean or just that you don't like animal flesh because you know that is was a living animal at first?



Like you, I think that animals are creatures of God. I believe life is sacred. It's because I love animals that I find it disgusting to eat their flesh. It's the idea of eating dismembered body parts of creatures that were once alive. Non-human animals are capable of the same emotions as human are -- they have loving relationships, they grieve when their offspring are taken from them, they suffer in the conditions humans keep them in. It's disgusting to me that profit is valued over those precious, sacred lives.
borealis is offline  
#25 Old 08-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Yeah i didnt mean it im just bitter.
GhostUser is offline  
#26 Old 08-14-2005, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Elizabeth_Cade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Christianity is a catch all name for a broad range of religions. I for one was raised Roman Catholic I wasn't referring to INDIVIDUAL Christians, but the Catholic Church (as well as leaders of other CHRISTIAN organizations) does say a lot of awful things, does not believe in gay rights, etc... "They" in this case, was referring to religious group leaders, not every single Christian. (And you can't tell me that the Catholic church, for example, does not condemn MANY groups of people for a lot of ridiculous reasons. i.e. According to the Church much of my family s going to hell because they aren't Catholic.)





Oh, no, I'm sorry! That's not what I meant. I, too, was a Catholic once. But when my sister died, they freaked out about the funeral and everything and we left the church and became Christians. I'm still a baptized Catholic, but I practice under Christianity. I didn't mean to offend you.
Elizabeth_Cade is offline  
#27 Old 08-14-2005, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Elizabeth_Cade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Elizabeth:



Susta is a Christian who seems, in my assessment, to not have figured out exactly where she stands on vegetarianism. In my extremely humble, not-involved-in-her-life opinion, it looks to me like she's still figuring out how all the pieces fit together... A lot of us, Christian or otherwise, go through this when our beliefs are challenged or changing.



Susta, I am presuming a lot here. If I am presuming incorrectly, please forgive me.



Froggy





I was confused, too. I'd seen her post in my Christian Veggies thread before and this post sounds Christian (I'm not doubting her Christianity...though, if I'm assuming too much, forgive me also.), but I was just confused on the pro-meat thing. Sorry, Monika, if I offend you at all.



I hate sounding mean.
Elizabeth_Cade is offline  
#28 Old 08-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
rabid_child's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 12,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth_Cade View Post

Oh, no, I'm sorry! That's not what I meant. I, too, was a Catholic once. But when my sister died, they freaked out about the funeral and everything and we left the church and became Christians. I'm still a baptized Catholic, but I practice under Christianity. I didn't mean to offend you.



lol. i don't know what you meant. anyway, i'm not offended or anything. takes more than that i can defend my beliefs without getting offended. water off a ducks back.



i'd also like to add, there is a BIG difference that a lot of people don't see (largely Christians that I know) is that you CAN have faith and believe in God without believing in Religion or ascribing to any one particular set of religious beliefs. I consider myself more spiritual, really, but I don't think that makes me a bad person or a person of any less faith than one who DOES belong to a particular church. (In fact, I think I may have more faith as I've really questioned it and come back to it as opposed to just accepting what people tell me I should believe)

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
rabid_child is offline  
#29 Old 08-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Elizabeth_Cade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

lol. i don't know what you meant. anyway, i'm not offended or anything. takes more than that i can defend my beliefs without getting offended. water off a ducks back.



i'd also like to add, there is a BIG difference that a lot of people don't see (largely Christians that I know) is that you CAN have faith and believe in God without believing in Religion or ascribing to any one particular set of religious beliefs. I consider myself more spiritual, really, but I don't think that makes me a bad person or a person of any less faith than one who DOES belong to a particular church. (In fact, I think I may have more faith as I've really questioned it and come back to it as opposed to just accepting what people tell me I should believe)





Good, I'm glad I didn't offend you. I don't know what I meant, either. Hmm.



You sound like my grandma--she's spiritual. She believes in God, higher power, but she hates religion (she's constantly telling me that my "cult" is this or that...)--not saying that's what you said, of course. And I agree, it doesn't make you a bad person to just be spiritual.



Oooh, I think I just made this off-topic. Oops.
Elizabeth_Cade is offline  
#30 Old 08-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Banned
 
naturalsusta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanie View Post

Ummmm...I don't mean to be gross but I had a thought. If your mother died, who you love, would you cook and eat her? Or your best friend?



You love them...why would it be disgusting to eat them? Do you have any pets? If your pet died, would you eat your pet?



I think some people just apply this basic principle of not eating dead animals to all living beings, and not just humans and pets.



That's just basic though. There's also the idea of HOW our food comes to us, which is just inhumane...everything that is pumped into those animals that end up on tables...antibiotics, growth hormone...



I grew up watching animals slaughtered, as my grandmother raised animals for food...chickens, rabbits, cows, geese. I've held baby bunnies only to watch them grow up, hang from a tree and have their skin peeled from their bodies. But at least those animals were raised 'naturally', and had very good living conditions right up until that point.



There's a problem here. Praying over your food (and hey, I'm a Christian myself) will not make the inhumane treatment of those animals disapear...will not erase the chemicals inside the meat...will not eradicate whatever bacteria are present.



I prepare food that I consider what you'd call 'holy'. Whole, good foods that aren't processed or died...for nourishment. In a way that is in keeping with what I believe as a Christian and human. My 'blessing' over the food is a way of saying thanks for what I have...to be grateful for having food in the first place.



B





yes i love my family and friends, but there is no way in the world that i would eat human flesh. that is nasty and an abomination. now that's wrong.



prayer does not make torture to animals dissappear, but when you are a true believer of the power of prayer, you will pray over your food knowing it has been blessed by God. God is protecting you from harm. i pray over whatever i eat. i thank him first for what he has giving me to eat then and also for all he has giving me to eat through the day. i also say may it nourish my flesh as your word nourishes my spirit. i give it over to God. he protects me from harm. what ever that in the food that can harm me God protects us from it. i gave a scripture earlier, 1 Timothy 4:3-5. it's talking about how the people there were abstaining from meats that God created. also how God uses prayer or thanksgiving to sanctified food.





when i said holy, i meant clean.
naturalsusta is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off