Stupid things omnivores do NOT say.... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-03-2005, 06:44 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Hi people.

I was reading the thread called "Stupid things omnivores say". https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ead.php?t=5060 (started in 2003!!!) I didn't get to the end though because there are nearly 200 pages or something!!! but it is very interesting indeed.

But I must say I was kind of suprised to see how many people get ragged and teased and are misunderstood for being veg*n. (Ha!!! I've figured out why there is an asterisk in veg*n on these boards - I'm new to posting here! but back to the topic...)

Okay, I've been veg*n for a year only so maybe I don't have much experience. My son as well. Neither of us have ever had smartass remarks or unpleasant comments thrown our way. Only respect. Sometimes people are a bit curious, or one can see they deliberately avoid talking about it (maybe scared I'm going to try and convert them, or perhaps a guilty conscience), but I've only had good experiences. The waiters in the restaurants go out of their way to ensure that the cook in the kitchen knows my wishes; friends make special meals for me when I'm invited to their place; my doctor is supportive; even the lady at the local butcher is friendly to me when she sees me in the street!!!

Now.... I am wondering if this is maybe a cultural thing. I live in Switzerland. Could it be that there is maybe more respect here on the "continent" than elsewhere for people who choose to eat "differently?" I dunno... it's just something that crossed my mind. Because I found that thread I referred to in the beginning pretty surprising.

(I would have liked to put all sorts of smilies in my post but for some reason the old computer I'm using at the moment which dates from Noah's Ark more or less, won't allow me to.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2005, 08:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi Diana!

I think it's great that you get positive responses to your veg*anism. I wish it were so for everybody who chooses a plant-based diet.

I don't know if attitudes towards veg*ans in continental Europe are different. I think other VBers who live there or have visited there can answer your question. But I do agree that it IS a cultural thing. There are a lot of societies that place a great deal of importance on meat eating, and for those of us living in those societies, it is a long-term struggle to win acceptance for our "different" diet.

As for the smilies, it may be a software thing. I can click on them on my work computer and the clicking will work, but not on my home computer. The trick is to learn how to type the smilie codes manually. Most of the codes are a colon, then the type of smilie, then another colon, although some have just a colon on the left and then just the type of smilie. I think if you hold the cursor over the smilie, it will tell you what it says. You can then memorize the ones you use most often (for example, I'm holding my cursor over the juggling smilie, and it says juggle, so I would type : then juggle then : again. It will look like this: If you try that with another smilie and it doesn't look like a smilie when you look at your finished post, try leaving off the colon on the right. I hope that helps.

Also, some time ago, in response to the "Stupid Things Omnivores Say" thread, somebody created a new thread called "Nice Things Omnivores Say", which is meant to catalogue positive responses to our veg*anism. Search around the Veggie Patch and you should find it. I"ve posted in it. <--- made by typing a colon and then a capital D.

*this space not for sale*
#3 Old 08-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Erm, why do you put a * there? :newbie:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

So that "veg*n" can mean "vegetarian" or "vegan".
#5 Old 08-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot View Post

Erm, why do you put a * there?

I'll answer that one!!! Then you can all s****** at me and tell me that I'm wrong.

It's because some people are vegetarian, and other people are vegan and this way we're all included altogether just like one happy family!!!!
#6 Old 08-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Diana -- that's a very sweet way of putting it! Welcome!
#7 Old 08-03-2005, 10:21 AM

Diana,

i'm so happy today you lightened my day girl. bless you. i was upset about the thread ( stupid things omnis say) i posted in that thread. thank you so much God bless you.

Monika
#8 Old 08-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I don't know if attitudes towards veg*ans in continental Europe are different.

When I visit my boyfriend in England, everyone is gracious about us being veg*ns. Still not clear on whether the UK is considered part of Europe or not, I've heard conflicting opinions there.

When I went to Germany, there were several vegetarian options on menus in restaurants, and in Holland as well. I was not vegetarian when I went (about 10 years ago), but one of the girls I hung out with was, and everyone was cool with it.
#9 Old 08-03-2005, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

i went to eat with my aunt and her cousin and her cousin's husband's mother (er, or something like that), and we ended up at a denny's-esque place where there really wasn't anything for me to eat except salad. i knew this, and said it was fine, but everyone kept trying to ask questions to help me find something else to eat anyway. it wasn't actually very helpful, but i was shocked that they were trying. it was such a contrast to going out to eat with my family.
#10 Old 08-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:

But I do agree that it IS a cultural thing. There are a lot of societies that place a great deal of importance on meat eating, and for those of us living in those societies, it is a long-term struggle to win acceptance for our "different" diet.

This makes a lot of sense. There are indeed countries where meat is really important. And I think there are countries here on the "continent" that put more emphasis on meat-eating and fish-eating. Possibly countries where people have struggled to survive - am thinking of the ex-Soviet countries for instance, where having meat meant one was (is?) rich enough to buy it.

The United States has a very big cattle industry doesn't it? I expect there's a lot of pressure from the meat industry there to put down veg*ans. Very bad for business indeed.

As to whether the United Kingdom is part of the continent or not. No, the UK is not considered part of the continent geographically speaking. They still haven't made up their minds completely either whether they are Europeans or not. They probably never will. It's part of their charm - like high tea with scones.
#11 Old 08-03-2005, 12:51 PM
MEM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

The United States has a very big cattle industry doesn't it? I expect there's a lot of pressure from the meat industry there to put down veg*ans. Very bad for business indeed.

big cattle industry, big hog industry, big chicken industry, and let's not forget the turkeys....

Veg*nism is easier the closer to the coasts you are (so I'm told), and really darn difficult in certain states. In fact, when I go to visit the folks in Indiana, I'm pretty sure that I'm the only vegetarian for about a 100 mile radius....

although, the local grocery store there has started carrying soy milk and boca burgers, so maybe not....
#12 Old 08-03-2005, 02:47 PM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post

although, the local grocery store there has started carrying soy milk and boca burgers, so maybe not....

The soy milk could be for people who are lactose intolerant. I went to check on Google what Boca Burgers are. And then I started Googling other stuff. I think in the United States, you have a LOT more choice than we do over here for veg*an food. Especially the pre-processed kind of which we don't get so much (yet). But this is small little Switzerland I'm talking about. Apart from our mountains (Alps) and our bank vaults, everything is sort of.... SMALL here. Next time I go to France, I'll go into a big food store and see what they have to offer.

I read that Boca Burgers are a subsidiary of Kraft Food and according to the article, Kraft Food are very fond of genetically engineered nourishment.
#13 Old 08-03-2005, 03:10 PM
MEM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Next time I go to France, I'll go into a big food store and see what they have to offer.

Totally off topic but the next time you go to france, can you wave at it for me? Or something...

I miss it and want to go back.
#14 Old 08-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But this is small little Switzerland I'm talking about. Apart from our mountains (Alps) and our bank vaults, everything is sort of.... SMALL here.

What about goats? Are goats small there?

Haha, just a little Heidi humor.

I rarely get a negative comment; mostly I've recieved support, or occasionally the "Oh, I could never give up xxxx" response.

However, I think a lot of people here are young and get these comments from schoolmates, who may not have learnt manners yet. Or from family members, who believe they are above manners.
#15 Old 08-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

There are a lot of societies that place a great deal of importance on meat eating, and for those of us living in those societies, it is a long-term struggle to win acceptance for our "different" diet.

Correct, the US is a huge meat eating society and many people (especially from small towns) never meet a veg*n so they don't know how to take it.
#16 Old 08-03-2005, 10:19 PM

Umm, I'm in San Antonio, TX (redneck country full of beef ranchers), and I can easily find tofu and vegan "cheese" at the grocery store. And the parental units have been going to the friendly local Chinese greasy-spoon place for years and ordering their only vegetarian entree every time, and encountered no trouble at all.
#17 Old 08-04-2005, 01:29 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Mem: If you send me your address, I will pick up a piece of French earth and send it to you - but I'm not sure it would get through customs.

Borealis: Our goats are small too. And according to recent voting results, it seems that people's brains are getting smaller as well. Do you think there is a connection?

larisa: The only veg*an "cheese" I can find in Switzerland is imported from the USA!!! Now that's highly un-ecological. All those airplanes polluting the atmosphere to provide us with artificial cheese. You would think we could make our own... but there's the rub. The USA may be a big cattle ranching country. Switzerland is full of CHEESE MAKERS!!! They even invented a method to put HOLES in their cheese, probably because people will then eat more of it as they get hungry just eating holes!
#18 Old 08-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Switzerland is full of CHEESE MAKERS!!! They even invented a method to put HOLES in their cheese, probably because people will then eat more of it as they get hungry just eating holes!

That's funny!

*this space not for sale*
#19 Old 08-04-2005, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I live in England and it is impossible to find reasonably priced vegan cheese. Then again, I'm not much of a fan of cheese. What is it like? Can you melt it on toast and stuff?
#20 Old 08-04-2005, 03:14 AM
Veggie Regular

From what I've heard, it's hard to find real vegan cheese that melts properly. The "veggie slices" you find in grocery stores more often than not has casein, which is what helps the product melt. So, it's not really vegan, it's more like cheese for the lactose intolerant, or for those wanting to decrease their dairy intake for other reasons.

If you want a grilled cheese sandwich or something like that, you can make a cheese sauce with nutritional yeast that tastes awesome.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page