With a poll: Who has the most vegetarian options? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Who has the most vegetarian options?
The United Kingdom 0 0%
The United States 0 0%
Canada 0 0%
Portland 0 0%
Other (please exaggerate) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-16-2005, 02:11 AM
Banned

per Michael's suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2005, 02:16 AM
Veggie Regular

that's a toughie.

I voted U.S.A.

My second choice would be UK. Third Canada. Forth Portland

Although I think China, Japan, India, Mexico might have okayish but not really much variety.
#3 Old 07-16-2005, 02:19 AM
Banned

Overall, the UK wins as it's very easy to find a veggie meal in just about any restaurant/pub. In fact, I think it'd be very difficult to find a restaurant that didn't have a veggie option.

Individual cities in the US can be pretty good but London or E'burgh will blow those away with veggie options as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-16-2005, 02:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I voted for the USA because this is where I live. But I don't think the poll is going to be anywhere near accurate (more like an opportunity to get a little nationalistic) because, speaking for myself at least, I haven't been to any of these other places (well, I was in London in 1976, but I wasn't a vegetarian then so it wasn't on my radar).

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 07-16-2005, 02:20 AM
Veggie Regular

My vote goes to the UK.
#6 Old 07-16-2005, 02:21 AM
Banned

Portland has one vegan bakery per 185,000 people.

TAKE THAT LONDON

#7 Old 07-16-2005, 02:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

I voted for the USA because this is where I live. But I don't think the poll is going to be anywhere near accurate (more like an opportunity to get a little nationalistic) because, speaking for myself at least, I haven't been to any of these other places (well, I was in London in 1976, but I wasn't a vegetarian then so it wasn't on my radar).

Perhaps one shouldn't vote if one hasn't visited all of the places listed?
#8 Old 07-16-2005, 02:23 AM
Banned

I expect people to vote based on nationalism and/or pride.
#9 Old 07-16-2005, 02:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post

Portland has one vegan bakery per 185,000 people.

TAKE THAT LONDON

Oh dear. Perhaps you could compare Portland with Brighton as it's a similar size and demographic.

How many vegetarian pubs are in Portland? And how close are they to vegan shoe shops?
#10 Old 07-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Is this Portland, Maine or Portland, Oregon?
#11 Old 07-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Banned

I'm afraid India blows every country away in the veggie food availabilty department.
#12 Old 07-16-2005, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Whoops. I read this too fast. I thought it said who has the best not most. My bad.
#13 Old 07-16-2005, 02:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena99 View Post

Is this Portland, Maine or Portland, Oregon?

I thought it was Portland in Dorset, England.
#14 Old 07-16-2005, 02:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Oh dear. Perhaps you could compare Portland with Brighton as it's a similar size and demographic.

How many vegetarian pubs are in Portland? And how close are they to vegan shoe shops?

No vegetarian pubs. How about a vegan grocery, next door to a vegan shoe and clothing shop, across the street from a vegetarian restaurant?

We also have a place where you can sit in a nearly vegan thai restaurant and see another vegan restaurant out the window, and a seperate place where you can stand in front of a vegetarian restaurant and see a tea shop with a vegetarian cafe across the street and a place with vegan softserve a couple blocks down.

[/pissing contest]
#15 Old 07-16-2005, 02:32 AM
Banned

Quote:

I'm afraid India blows every country away in the veggie food availabilty department.

True dat.

Portland, OR btw.
#16 Old 07-16-2005, 02:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Oh man, Brighton. I love RedVeg so much. I miss it.
#17 Old 07-16-2005, 02:37 AM
Banned

Quote:

No vegetarian pubs. How about a vegan grocery, next door to a vegan shoe and clothing shop, across the street from a vegetarian restaurant?

We also have a place where you can sit in a nearly vegan thai restaurant and see another vegan restaurant out the window, and a seperate place where you can stand in front of a vegetarian restaurant and see a tea shop with a vegetarian cafe across the street and a place with vegan softserve a couple blocks down.

[/pissing contest]

That is very, very similar to Brighton.

But I'll take the vegan bangers and mash with a pint of vegan beer in the pub over your thai food!
#18 Old 07-16-2005, 02:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegankat View Post

Oh man, Brighton. I love RedVeg so much. I miss it.

The RedVeg in London is so busy at lunch times there's a queue out the door! I can only visit during off hours. Chili veg burger is what it's all about.
#19 Old 07-16-2005, 02:51 AM
Veggie Regular

There's an effing RedVeg in London now?!?! Where abouts?

Brighton is a truly, truly great place for vegetarians. Lets see, in between my walk between the car park and the seafront, there's: a huge veggie supermarket, Asian and Japanese supermarkets (lots of veggie stuff in both of em.. the Japanese place has a deli with tofu dishes), the amazing RedVeg (veggie fast food place), a vegetarian shoe shop, a vegetarian cafe/lunch place, a Holland and Barrett, another vegetarian/vegan restaurant... and even thats avoiding a lot of the town!
#20 Old 07-16-2005, 03:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gazumper View Post

There's an effing RedVeg in London now?!?! Where abouts?

Brighton is a truly, truly great place for vegetarians. Lets see, in between my walk between the car park and the seafront, there's: a huge veggie supermarket, Asian and Japanese supermarkets (lots of veggie stuff in both of em.. the Japanese place has a deli with tofu dishes), the amazing RedVeg (veggie fast food place), a vegetarian shoe shop, a vegetarian cafe/lunch place, a Holland and Barrett, another vegetarian/vegan restaurant... and even thats avoiding a lot of the town!

The first Red Veg is the London one! Been going for 5 years now. On Dean St in Soho, just down from Oxford St.
#21 Old 07-16-2005, 03:40 AM
Beginner

Quote:

[/pissing contest]

It HAS to be Portland, OR....I live in Maine and I think there are 2 (maybe 3) veg friendly rest. in Portland, ME...I don't believe there is more than 1 vegan rest....
#22 Old 07-16-2005, 05:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm missing out on all the good stuff in the UK. blackpool is a very "egg & chips" kind of place.

But even still, in this sh*thole, I can get veggie food almost anywhere. But I can't compar the Uk with anywhere else, since I haven't been to other places.
#23 Old 07-16-2005, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I think it is definitely the UK.

However, Vancouver Canada is a vegan's paradise.

And now that I hear about Portland, I may just have to take a road trip down there!
#24 Old 07-16-2005, 07:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I vote DC! Because we have vegetarian cuisines from all over the world come to inhabit our little city: Ethiopian and Indian foods, middle eastern/Greek dishes, Caribbean curries, Italian pastas, vegan soul food, a slew of "healthy vegetarian" cafes, and numerous bars serving vegan brunch. Huzzow! I've never gone hungry around here.
#25 Old 07-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't vote because I've never been anywhere but the US and I really don't know much about other countries' veggie options.
#26 Old 07-16-2005, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

IMO, it's UK.

I get the impression that I could get veggie food anywhere in UK be it small town or large metropolis. Correct me if I'm wrong UKers, but I feel that if I went to UK right now, I would not be short on options anywhere I went.

But in US, if you go outside of a large city, you're pretty much SOL. In my little podunk town, the only thing vegan is.......... nothing. You could probably find "vegan" restaurant food if you're creative (and don't mind being potentially slipped) but to walk in, say "I want the #6" and know it's completely vegan..... can you say "bloody impossible?".

LO vegetarian can be found pretty much anywhere.
#27 Old 07-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

But in US, if you go outside of a large city, you're pretty much SOL.

Never had the urge to do so, personally.
#28 Old 07-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4EverGrounded View Post

IMO, it's UK.

I get the impression that I could get veggie food anywhere in UK be it small town or large metropolis. Correct me if I'm wrong UKers, but I feel that if I went to UK right now, I would not be short on options anywhere I went.

But in US, if you go outside of a large city, you're pretty much SOL. In my little podunk town, the only thing vegan is.......... nothing. You could probably find "vegan" restaurant food if you're creative (and don't mind being potentially slipped) but to walk in, say "I want the #6" and know it's completely vegan..... can you say "bloody impossible?".

LO vegetarian can be found pretty much anywhere.

Vegan can be a little harder than LO veggie, but it's not impossible. You can find pubs with veggie food, and there's bound to be a vegan option. You can always get a plate of chips. They're typically cooked in vegetable oil, not beef fat like you often find in the US.

France is the worst place to be a vegetarian that I've visited. The_Gazumper and I would walk around for hours trying to find a place with veggie food. I don't know how Chirac can criticise British food. There's so much variety!
#29 Old 07-16-2005, 10:57 AM

i wouldn't think... i've never really been outside of the us, but where i live we have vegan veggie options everywherre...

but i would think the UK is more veg-friendly
#30 Old 07-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Wherever there's a Tex Mex restaurant, there's a vegan option. Don't slight the US too fast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page