Summer heat and veg*nism - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-08-2005, 06:04 AM
Veggie Regular
 
DannyTanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 394
So I've been vegetarian for a year now, and I noticed that this summer I haven't been feeling the heat nearly as much. I used to be the first to complain and break out in sweat during the summer, but now I notice friends/coworkers constantly complaining and I don't feel a thing.



It could also be because I quit smoking and coffee as well, but... has any other veg*n noticed heat not being as much of an issue since converting? Is there a specific reason?



Just curious.
DannyTanner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-08-2005, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular
 
nkace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 813
Wow, I wish. I am always hot, everyone makes fun of me because I have no tolerance above like 80. Thank goodness I live in New England.
nkace is offline  
#3 Old 07-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
MRSSHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 820
I don't really feel the heat, but I think that's because I lived in Puerto Rico for awhile, so the dry heat in Idaho doesn't bother me much.



I hate the cold now though, and I grew up in a cold climate.
MRSSHF is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 07-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Beginner
 
TheWrongGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 139
HA! No, I feel the heat (I live in Texas and it's been about 100 degrees the past couple of days). However, it seems like I'm not as uncomfortable as I used to be in it since becoming vegetarian.
TheWrongGirl is offline  
#5 Old 07-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Veggie Regular
 
DannyTanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 394
Hm. Perhaps its the lack of coffee or being a lot healthier in general.



Thanks for your input!
DannyTanner is offline  
#6 Old 07-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
CarbLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 599
You live in Canada! Try coming somewhere really hot! I've lived in Texas for 12 years and the summers never get any easier. If possible, I stay inside till it's dark pretty much.
CarbLover is offline  
#7 Old 07-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Veggie Regular
 
DannyTanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 394
It's been over 100 Farenheit a few times this summer. I don't live in an igloo and go ice fishing during the summer. And since i've been in -40 F weather, wouldn't that mean I'd feel the heat even more than someone who's used to it year round?
DannyTanner is offline  
#8 Old 07-08-2005, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Elena99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 3,473
I love the heat, so I wouldn't complain either way. Hmm. I think it's the coffee, actually. It could be the meat. I can't imagine anyone wanting to eat cooked meat when it's hot out, blech. Pass me the frozen grapes.
Elena99 is offline  
#9 Old 07-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
eggplant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,604
Have you lost weight? I began getting cold much more easily a few years ago after losing a significant amount of weight. I'm about the only one in southern Arizona right now who doesn't complain (too much) about the heat. It was 108 today...
eggplant is offline  
#10 Old 07-09-2005, 03:29 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
The heat doesn't bother me like it used to, either. I don't know if it's because I've lost body fat since I started running, or that I'm acclimated to it from riding my bike/running the past few years, or what. I do notice myself getting cold more often lately though.

A friend of mine jokingly told me the other night that it was because I'm getting old and my testosterone is dying out on me....







Back OT, I had wondered, too, if the heat tolerance was veg*n related or not. Good thread, Danny Tanner.
Brandon is offline  
#11 Old 07-09-2005, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular
 
SeaSiren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,150
It doesn't bother me as much either anymore. In fact I was just talking about the fact that Summer hasn't really shown up yet. Now winter....brrrr!
SeaSiren is offline  
#12 Old 07-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular
 
DannyTanner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 394
Thanks Brandon. I figured I should probably start a decent topic after returning from a 6 month hiatus on VB.
DannyTanner is offline  
#13 Old 07-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Tofu-N-Sprouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,049
Hmmmm... interesting... I have, like, NO tolerance for heat.. good thing I live in the lovely, temperate Pacific Northwest, at least currently....



Maybe since going vegan (and going mostly off caffiene and losng weight too) maybe just maybe I won't mind those occasional days when our temps "spike" into the 90's...



Since I'm considering a move to warmer climates, I will be interested to see if this theory is true for me....
Tofu-N-Sprouts is offline  
#14 Old 08-02-2005, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
I was thinking about this thread today and decided to come bump it back up . I went for a good hour's worth of running today, and it was 99, but the "heat index" or whatever that is said it felt like 104. I was hot at first, but within 5-6 minutes and breaking a sweat, I felt fine.

What made me think of this thread was that some lady drove past, rolled down her car window and yelled at me "You're crazy! It's too damn hot to be running!!" and gave me a look like I was wearing a clown suit and juggling rubber trout or something.



I just shrugged at her, waved and kept on moving down the sidewalk.





So has anyone actually found or seen information that can verify whether or not the heat tolerance has anything to do with veg*nism? I'm curious.
Brandon is offline  
#15 Old 08-02-2005, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
You'll need to increase your water intake... and I should be drinking more water and less coffee.



I've never minded the heat as an omni or a veg.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Hmmmm... interesting... I have, like, NO tolerance for heat.. good thing I live in the lovely, temperate Pacific Northwest, at least currently....



Maybe since going vegan (and going mostly off caffiene and losng weight too) maybe just maybe I won't mind those occasional days when our temps "spike" into the 90's...



Since I'm considering a move to warmer climates, I will be interested to see if this theory is true for me....

froggythefrog is offline  
#16 Old 08-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,833
Trust me, Froggy, I drink water like it's going out of style.
Brandon is offline  
#17 Old 08-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular
 
tearhsong2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,874
I've never noticed a difference, myself. Summers here in Massachusetts actually feel hotter to me than the ones in Utah did, but it's cooler here temperature wise. I think it's the humidity. Utah is much drier, so even though it gets hotter, the summers feel more comfortable.
tearhsong2 is offline  
#18 Old 08-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
froggythefrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 9,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

Trust me, Froggy, I drink water like it's going out of style.



Hee hee.... That was meant for TNS, but you're handling the heat WAY better than I am. More power to ya! (LOL to the story about the lady.)
froggythefrog is offline  
#19 Old 08-03-2005, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Chrysalis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTanner View Post

It's been over 100 Farenheit a few times this summer. I don't live in an igloo and go ice fishing during the summer. And since i've been in -40 F weather, wouldn't that mean I'd feel the heat even more than someone who's used to it year round?



Haha yeah really. For a couple weeks there it was like 35 degrees Celcius, and that's not even counting the humidity. But I don't feel it so much anymore. The main reason I don't feel the heat is because I work somewhere very hot, with no air conditioning, so I've gotten used to it this summer. It doesn't have anything to do with my diet. Although, I probably don't smell as bad

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Chrysalis is offline  
#20 Old 08-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Tofu-N-Sprouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

You'll need to increase your water intake...

I know, I know... you'll have to remind me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

...and I should be drinking more water and less coffee.

Rumor has it you're up awfully late some nights... we need to talk about that coffee thing.....
Tofu-N-Sprouts is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off