Vegetarians Healthier Than Meat-Eaters - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-30-2005, 08:34 PM

I've been browsing the posts here and noticed a lot of you seem to think that vegetarians/vegans are healthier just because they don't eat meat. This is not so. I think it's because vegetarians/vegans are more health conscious on average than most meat-eaters. But, that doesn't mean you can't be healthy and eat meat. A lot of meat-eaters are overweight and don't exercise. Those two play a big part in getting diseases. I think if you stick mostly to lean meats and exercise, you can be just as healthy as any vegetarian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2005, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Ok.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 06-30-2005, 08:38 PM

There can be healthy meat eaters, there can also be unhealthy vegetarians. If a meat eater eats lots of veggies and gets exercise then yes they could be more healthy than a vegetarian who eats junk food and gets no exercise. Just depends on the person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Exactly. Nobody said meat-eaters had to be unhealthy, nobody said veg*ns had to be healthy.
#5 Old 07-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Beginner

Tell me something I DON'T already know.
#6 Old 07-01-2005, 03:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for that. . . reality check.
#7 Old 07-01-2005, 03:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree.

#8 Old 07-01-2005, 06:08 AM
Jes
Veggie Regular

I agree. I also think that most of the people here are healthier than the general population. We've joined a discussion board devoted to our diets! It stands to reason that we care about what we we eat on several different levels.
#9 Old 07-01-2005, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

*hides her gin & tonic and potato chips*

nothing to see here... move along, please, move along... *whistling*
#10 Old 07-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with the OP's post. It isn't shocking or new information, but nessesary to say once in a while.

However, I don't think I fully agree with this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knglerxt View Post

I think it's because vegetarians/vegans are more health conscious on average than most meat-eaters.

I know I am "healthy" not because of I choose to eat healthy. Heck, if I could get a donut every day I would. Same goes for TV dinners. And fast food.

But... they don't make that stuff vegan. So I eat healthy because (almost) all the damn ready-made vegan food is also cross marketed to "health conscious" individuals.

Well, I am not health conscious. This summer, I've taken steps to eat at least a pint of Vegan Ice Cream a day. However, overall, I still end up eating healthy because (besides the political aversion) the only thing that keeps me away from eating Arby's every day is the fact that their sandwiches aren't vegan.
#11 Old 07-01-2005, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

Yeah, I think that secret was let out of the bag long ago.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 Old 07-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrodolfox View Post

Well, I am not health conscious. This summer, I've taken steps to eat at least a pint of Vegan Ice Cream a day. However, overall, I still end up eating healthy because (besides the political aversion) the only thing that keeps me away from eating Arby's every day is the fact that their sandwiches aren't vegan.

L...m...a...o.

Ahhhhh.
#13 Old 07-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrodolfox View Post

L...m...a...o.

Ahhhhh.

Now only if their marketers get wind of that...

#14 Old 07-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

nothing to see here... move along, please, move along... *whistling*

*makes a dash for the gin and chips. Leaves the tonic behind.
#15 Old 07-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't mind being reminded that some omnis can be healthier than some veg*ans. What I do mind is being told that I'm some sort of snobby jerk who's going to die soon because I don't get any nutrients on my vegan diet by people who: 1) Have no idea what I eat overall and base their statement on misinformation and the fact that the ONE time they see me eating I'm having a salad, and 2) come onto VB and register just so they can flame veg*ans. *

*refers to the troll we had here yesterday, not necessarily the OP of this thread

*this space not for sale*
#16 Old 07-01-2005, 07:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm really confused.

I thought meat consumption was linked to cancer, diabeties, ect... so, is it that when you're obese from meat consumption, the risks are raised like this?
#17 Old 07-01-2005, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Meat consumption *is* linked to an increased risk of cancer, diabeties, heart disease, incontinence, impotence and loads of other things. Processed meats bring moreso of a risk.

Some of them will grill, broil or roast this meat which is brings its own set of risks because of the carcinogenic affects that some of the these cooking methods bring.

In all my time of reading health articles and medical newsletters, I've not read one thing saying "eat more meat to cut the risk of ______". Usually, the gist of the statements are that a person should eat more fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes and deep leafy greens and stay away from the processed / refined foods. If a person bases their diet around this, they will be healthy but most meat-eaters won't base their diet around this - they'll stick to the meat and 3 veg method or their processed quickie foods which doesn't provide enough, IMO.

And all the meat-eaters I know eat waaaaaaaaaay more than the recommended 3oz of meat per day. Usually, it's more in the ballpark of 6-12 ounces per meal that's more the norm and believe me, more is NOT better.

Lean meats, IMO are no better than their fatty counterparts except in the only case of reduced fat. They still carry risks and they still are linked to a number of ailments. And the animals are still injected with growth hormones, bulk enhancers, anti-biotics and steroids in order for them to be ready for market in a shortened amount of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page