becoming vegan vs becoming vegetarian books - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Banned

Hi. I'm currently researching whether its advantageous as far as health goes for me to adopt a veg* diet. Veganism makes more sense to me than vegetarianism at the current time.

In my search for resources to learn about the health benefits of veg* diets I found two books by the same authors, titled Becoming Vegan and Becoming Vegetarian.

I checked out Becoming Vegetarian from my library and found it very well done. The library doesn't have Becoming Vegan.

I'm asking anyone who has read both books to please explain the differences between the two. I have compared the table of contents of both books and they don't seem to disparagingly different.

Any input on this matter is appreciated. Thanks.

BTW, I am also slightly interested in the animal rights side of things. I have read Animal Liberation by Singer and will be ordering Gary Franciones book when I figure out which Becoming... book to order.

Also if anyone has any other resources of health studys etc.. regarding veg* diets please link me. I have exausted google I'm afraid, and many of the medical journals are not freely searchable unfortunately. I plan to ask my school and public librarians about this matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Veggie Regular

The China Study is a good one. There is a recommended reading thread around here somewhere.... here it is.
#3 Old 07-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I've only ever read Becoming Vegan, so I will not be of much help except to say that it is one of the most informative books I have read on the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Beginner

dairy and eggs are unhealthy and what they contribute to their diet is completely replaceable by plant sources in a vegan diet (except cholesterol, of course...and lactose in milk)

the most compelling argument in my opinion for veganism isn't really the health aspect though, it's animal rights and, if you are interested in animal rights, of course, it's only logical to become vegan.

it's great that you're doing the readings, i've benefited most by doing my own research (and francione is the man, which book are you getting?)

check out the vegan sourcebook and fast food nation for more interesting facts!
#5 Old 07-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Veggie Regular

actually, eggs and dairy aren't unhealthy, and what they contribute can't necessarily be managed by a plant based diet and must sometimes be covered in supplements (b 12, for example; heme iron, which doesn't exist in any plant sources to my knowledge and is more absorbable than non heme iron which does come from plant sources, as well as supplementation with ferrus salts which may be importnat for people who have iron absorption issues). And, dietary cholesterol isn't per se bad or unhealthy. (some people, like myself, don't produce a lot of cholesterol; dietary cholesterol helps boost my levels and boost my own production; similarly, low cholesterol is linked to increased morbidity in elders as well as depression and anxiety disorders, and perhaps cognative development in young children).

though, i completely agree that veganism makes sense from a number of ethical/moral perspectives. if you want to become vegan, then be sure to do a great deal of research on the dietary information. I highly recommend the source Vegan Outreach. They're an excellent source for all sorts of well-researched information.
#6 Old 07-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

It would be my opinion and many others here that dairy is, in fact, excessively bad for a person. But I guess you know that some of us would think that!
#7 Old 07-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooDog View Post

Hi. I'm currently researching whether its advantageous as far as health goes for me to adopt a veg* diet. Veganism makes more sense to me than vegetarianism at the current time.

Any input on this matter is appreciated. Thanks.

I think a wonderful and really well researched book on this subject is The Vegetarian Way by Virginia and Mark Messina. Virginia is an RD. The book was published in 1996, but is still excellent. You might find it in your local library. It covers both lacto-ovo vegetarianism and veganism.
#8 Old 07-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't read becoming vegetarian, but I own Becoming Vegan and it has a lot of information on vegetarianism as well, if you're considering both.
#9 Old 07-01-2005, 02:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianSKA View Post

it's great that you're doing the readings, i've benefited most by doing my own research (and francione is the man, which book are you getting?)

Well veganism may be morally superior but for me to adopt it must be practically equivalent to a meat based diet; superior preferred.

I'm afraid of lacking essential nutrients, such as B12, which I understand can lead to blindness and mental illness, amoung other things.

I just checked outRain Without Thunder and Animals, Property, and the Law. I might order his Introduction to Animal Rights. Anyone have any comments on that title?
#10 Old 07-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post

It would be my opinion and many others here that dairy is, in fact, excessively bad for a person. But I guess you know that some of us would think that!

Yes but I was hoping for some facts to back those claims up.
#11 Old 07-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

You might enjoy Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

This book outlines the health, ethical, and ecological reasons for adopting a vegan lifestyle.
#12 Old 07-01-2005, 06:20 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooDog View Post

I'm afraid of lacking essential nutrients, such as B12, which I understand can lead to blindness and mental illness, amoung other things.

I just checked outRain Without Thunder and Animals, Property, and the Law. I might order his Introduction to Animal Rights. Anyone have any comments on that title?

all francione books are good (but a little repetitive... which i don't mind that much)

introduction to animalrights is the first book people should read by him (but i believe the last one he wrote, and also the most useful in myopinion, and the best for peopledeciding to go vegan for rights based arguments), rain without thunderis a good red AFTER intro, in my opinion...

reading animalrights philosophy books won't educate you on health issues surrounding veganism, it's best to do your own research in books like becoming vegan, etc. or, just by a course used in a nutrition class andfigure it out yourself

don't worry too much about b12, especially if you're drinking soymilk,i use nutritional yeast too, but mostfortified products DO have b12... ifyou're really scared, take an animalfriendly dietary supplement (ie: amulti vitamin), i haven't had to, but watever works for you... other myths are the calcium and iron myth, don't worry toomuch about those either, there's plenty of info on the web debunking those too
#13 Old 07-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

What are the calcium and iron myths? Is it that we don't need them, or that they aren't present in the vegan diet? I get nervous when I hear "myth" regarding calcium. I hadn't heard it in regards to iron yet.
#14 Old 07-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Banned

Anyone read Plant Based Nutrition and Health by Stephen Walsh? I read its not as thorough as the Becoming... books
#15 Old 07-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianSKA View Post

don't worry too much about b12, especially if you're drinking soymilk,i use nutritional yeast too, but mostfortified products DO have b12... ifyou're really scared, take an animalfriendly dietary supplement (ie: amulti vitamin), i haven't had to, but watever works for you... other myths are the calcium and iron myth, don't worry toomuch about those either, there's plenty of info on the web debunking those too

And if you're really *really* worried, you can just drink a cup of organic milk every year or so. You really don't need that much.

B-12 can be an issue if you have poor absorbtion in your intestine, so if you have any of those issues, consult with a doctor.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page