diet suggestions - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-29-2005, 07:24 PM

It has recently come to my attention that I am not consuming enough calories. I think this is the reason why I have not been able to lose weight.

I am a vegan, and I do not eat any food with sugar (excluding natural sugar), processed foods or foods with perservatives. I am wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I can raise my calorie intake with my diet restrictions.

Thank you,

Mandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Add a chocolate smoothie to your diet:

1 package silken tofu

2 bananas

4 tablespoons cocoa powder

1 cup unsweetened apple or pineapple juice

Whirl in a blender, and yum! Okay, I stole that from the person who wrote the "healthy chocolate soy ice cream" on this board.

Eat natural pb or almond butter sandwiches on whole wheat bread...

Eat lots of nuts and dried fruit.
#3 Old 06-30-2005, 04:03 AM
Jes
Veggie Regular

I'm confused. You haven't been eating enough calories, so you can't lose weight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-30-2005, 04:27 AM
Veggie Regular

^ That's exactly what I was thinking

. . .dammit I miss quick reply !
#5 Old 06-30-2005, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, it's entirely possible. If you eat too little, your body goes into energy preserving mode; your metabolism slows down and you burn less calories. That's why any sensible diet will never demand that you go under 1200 calories (and that's really a bare minimum).
#6 Old 06-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Veggie Regular

You'd also start feeling sick; if manda were eating that much fewer calories than her recommended amount, she'd have to be trying to starve herself. Eating more calories won't help you lose weight, period. And if it's 5-10 pounds that need to go, I say, eat healthfully, get physical activity, and throw away the scale. It messes up people's live.
#7 Old 06-30-2005, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Can you give an example of what you eat in a day now?

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#8 Old 06-30-2005, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

You have to be sure to be getting a balanced diet, you don't want to delete 1 thing entirely (except animal products).
#9 Old 06-30-2005, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

My guess would be that you need more exercise.
#10 Old 06-30-2005, 09:33 AM

What Azalea said is correct, generally speaking if you eat too few calories (everybody's minimums are different based on age, weight, activity level, gender, etc) then your body goes into starvation mode. It slows your metabolism down to better match the calories you are taking in. A slow metabolism combined with insufficient nutrients can seriously hinder most attempts at weight loss. If combined with regular exercise, the body cam actually burn lean muscle to hold onto it's stored fat mass.
#11 Old 06-30-2005, 11:02 AM

When I started this post I ate:

An Apple for Breakfast

A Banana for Lunch

And lettuce for supper

I had nuts and seeds for a snack.

I was doing some research and found that eating to little calories pervented weight loss.
#12 Old 06-30-2005, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda16 View Post

An Apple for Breakfast

A Banana for Lunch

And lettuce for supper

I was doing some research and found that eating to little calories pervented weight loss.

To be honest, I can't see how you could possibly maintain on this little (unless you ate a LOT of nuts). You seriosuly need to eat more (and I'm not speaking about doing it to lose weight here); it is extremely damaging to eat this little.

Are you sure you need to lose weight, anyway? And please be honest here, do you have food issues or an eating disorder?
#13 Old 06-30-2005, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by manda16 View Post

An Apple for Breakfast

A Banana for Lunch

And lettuce for supper

Ummmm.... Don't eat so little. Aren't you feeling tired and sick? You still need to be able to eat enough to get the amount of nutrients daily. Pile up on vegetables and eat lots of them. Steamed, occasionally stir-fried, etc. Don't be afraid of beans and whole grains too.
#14 Old 06-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Banned

Ummmm.... How much do you weigh? Do you actually need to lose weight? The diet you described above is about what an anorexic would eat. Just wait till some of our resident mother hens catch you.

If you eat too few calories, for those of you who doubt it, yes, your body will slow down your metabolism and make it more difficult for you to lose weight than if you were exercising and eating a healthy diet.

If you want to lose weight (and if you REALLY need it):

Eat a healthy bfast, say oatmeal cooked with soymilk for protein, with some ground flax seed mixed in for omega 3s.

For lunch, eat some grilled tempeh wrapped in lettuce instead of sandwich bread, and some carrots and broccoli with hummus.

For dinner, make a vegetable stir fry with seitan, season with soy sauce, garlic, ginger, etc.

And exercise 30 minutes a day. And then you will lose weight in a healthy way, and it will stay off. My husband has been eating like this and has lost 30 lbs and looks awesome.
#15 Old 06-30-2005, 12:40 PM

Try-

instead of an apple for breakfast, a fruit salad (apple, banana, peach and a few strawberries) with soy yogurt/muesli or nuts on top.

couscous + vegetable (roasted aubergine is my fav) dishes for your dinner. look for recipes online, start cooking more. beans, pulses etc. because you need more protein.

Do you have an eating disorder? Is it that you dont want to eat more, or physically cant? or is it that you dont know anything about nutrition and such?

What you said you ate in your last post was less then 600 calories. Your body needs at least 1000-1200 to keep functioning properly: eg. keeping organs intact, keep you breathing. Not to mention exercise and moving around. The average person needs a good 2000-2500 calories per day. If you keep doing what you're doing now you'll end up in hospital and royally mess your metabolism up (believe me, I know, it sucks having a messed up metabolism).
#16 Old 06-30-2005, 01:46 PM

Thank you for your suggestions!

I weigh 132 pounds and I am 5 feet and 6 inches.

Today I am eating more, and I am feeling alot better.

Thanks again,

Mandy
#17 Old 06-30-2005, 02:29 PM
Banned

Hi Manda, thanks for letting us know. You are actually not really overweight... but if you feel that you need a little trimming, I would suggest exercise rather than serious dieting in your case. So glad you're feeling better! Please get some books on nutrition... many here recommend "Becoming Vegan". You need to make sure (in addition to your caloric needs) that you are getting enough protein, calcium, vitamin B12, Iron, and Omega-3s in your diet for optimum health. Good luck! :-)
#18 Old 06-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

You are actually not really overweight.

She is not overweight at ALL, actually.

Manda. Bstutzma has some good advice. You have a long way to go before you have an adequate diet if you have been used to eating this little, and this limited. Read up on nutrition, and please take care of yourself.
#19 Old 02-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Banned

Best diet.
Fresh fruit.
Vegetable.
Raw foods.
Fresh juices.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page