Sometimes i feel like i'm the only person... (who isn't pro-PETA) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2005, 03:29 AM
Beginner

why is everyone so pro-peta? i don't really get it... using sex to sell veg*nism isn't exactly what people should have in mind when strivingto reach equality for all animals

i'm sure there's probably already been posts like this, but all the pro-peta comments really concern me, and i urge people to be at least mildly critical and not accept everything they say as the answer and think for themselves, especially when regarding women's rights

http://www.nostatusquo.com/ACLU/PETA/peta.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2005, 05:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianSKA View Post

why is everyone so pro-peta?

Uh...wow. Everyone? So pro-PeTA? Not...even close to true.

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=19647

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=28083

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=23490

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=21357

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ead.php?t=1914

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ead.php?t=6213

Plenty more threads if you search, those are just the "opinion" threads.

Check out my webcomic! www.GrammarComic.com
#3 Old 06-22-2005, 05:12 AM
Veggie Regular

You're generalizing. Yes some of the people here support peta, and no some of them don't. This isn't a cult...We don't all think the same. Actually from what I've read recently a good majority really don't care for peta.. That's not to say that they greatly dislike peta, but they're also not all that "pro-peta" either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2005, 05:34 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I've been having more than a few second thoughts about PeTA recently. While they do do some good things, an awful lot of their motives and actions are rather questionable.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#5 Old 06-22-2005, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

i greatly dislike PeTA. I disagree with their agenda. I disagree with their methods.
#6 Old 06-22-2005, 06:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not a fan of PETA. I think that many of the bad stereotypes of vegetarianism stem from them.
#7 Old 06-22-2005, 07:02 AM
Beginner

I dont greatly dislike PeTA i'm not a big fan thoguh

im just kind of netrual about the whole issue
#8 Old 06-22-2005, 08:05 AM

I go to a site called peta-sucks. Does that count?
#9 Old 06-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't support PETA in the least. There are a bunch of us here who don't. I would go so far as to say that I hate their techniques and their agenda, though not everyone on this side of the fence feels so strongly about.

There are others who do support PETA (also a decent chunk), and they tend to defend their reasons for that pretty well.

And then there's a bunch who simply don't ever think about them...

I think it's a pretty healthy mix.
#10 Old 06-22-2005, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Add me to the list of those who do NOT support Peta. I strongly disagree with their methods and I think they actually create a lot of negative criticism towards vegetarianism.
#11 Old 06-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I always feel like i'm one of the very few who do like PETA. But I'm also the type of person that gives credit to anyone who employs effort and does their best.
#12 Old 06-22-2005, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post

I go to a site called peta-sucks. Does that count?

I want a sticker that says that
#13 Old 06-22-2005, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm an active PETA supporter, and I usually find myself in the minority here.
#14 Old 06-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I support them too, but I refuse to debate anyone about it because I'm really bad at defending myself...

I'm sure they have an explination for all of the stuff that's been happening...

And are you more opt to listen to someone who casually tells you that meat is bad for you, or by coming across some of the videos and propaganda that PETA uses?

And I'm not trying to start a debate... I don't like debates... *cries* So I'm stepping out as of now
#15 Old 06-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

To be honest, by someone who just doesn't eat meat, and seems healthy and happy with it, and just casually mentions it.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#16 Old 06-22-2005, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaya View Post

I always feel like i'm one of the very few who do like PETA. But I'm also the type of person that gives credit to anyone who employs effort and does their best.

I'm the same way. I strongly support a wide variety of efforts and activist methods. Our culture varies widely and so should approaches to activism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSSHF View Post

I'm an active PETA supporter, and I usually find myself in the minority here.

Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mskedi View Post

I think it's a pretty healthy mix.

I agree with that, too. I don't think there is anything wrong with constructively criticizing activism if you honestly believe there are better ways to change people's behavior.

The only criticism I think is hogwash is criticism of activism from anti-AR folks - it makes me think the only reason the criticism is coming up is because the activism is working. If one is anti-AR and PETA's doing a lousy job, you should be saying. "Yay PETA, way to be our secret weapon and mess up the AR movement. Good work! "
#17 Old 06-22-2005, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I am not pro-PETA. However, I don't want them to be "shut down" or anything. They do more work than any other organization. All I want them to do is change their tactics and get some manners. And stop acting like children.
#18 Old 06-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

i feel that PeTA has a responsibility to educate people about ending oppression of animals, but i don't believe they have any credibility in that regard because they try to teach it via sexist, fatphobic, and other questionable methods. you can't help anyone, animal or human, by exploiting or oppressing others.

"none of us are free, unless we are all free."
#19 Old 06-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Beginner

heres the thing for me. i dont HATE peta but i dont support them completly either. i think they are way overboard on alot of things, i do support any group of people trying to help animals, just for their heart alone but its what they do beyond that and how they do it that gets me. i like how they get celebs on the sexiest list because i enjoy seeing who is also a veggie in hollywood. i am not really sure which way i am with them... however i know they are one charity who doesnt get my money. only two of them do....

anyway

thats my thoughts
#20 Old 06-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

i feel that PeTA has a responsibility to educate people about ending oppression of animals, but i don't believe they have any credibility in that regard because they try to teach it via sexist, fatphobic, and other questionable methods. you can't help anyone, animal or human, by exploiting or oppressing others.

"none of us are free, unless we are all free."

I agree with Kreeli.
#21 Old 06-22-2005, 12:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I think many anti-PETA extremists have harmed the prospects of meaningful PETA criticism.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#22 Old 06-22-2005, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that a lot of the anti-peta people are loonies. PETA are loonies too. You see, where the sensible people are is in the middle.
#23 Old 06-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Loki, I love you. I've tried to explain this to people. My roomie thinks I am just being "wishy washy", my ex boyfriend tells me to make up my mind, my history teacher tells me it could never be that way.

Why not? When both sides make good points, I think it is best to meet somewhere in between.
#24 Old 06-22-2005, 01:52 PM

I dig PETA and Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, Farm Sanctuary, and Compassion Over Killing, and Earth Save (damn awesome).

The people they use in their ads have consented to being objectified, whereas the animals they fight for don't have any voice at all except theirs -- being the loudest and the most funded of the AR groups. They get the work done and have a powerful membership base behind them.

I don't think they are preaching to the choir with their more outlandish things, I thinks it's to get people to look. You have to remember this is corpse eating, reality tv watching, lowest common denominator, go to war on a lie, spend more money on junk food. etc.,....U-S-A

Their ad in Progressive Magazine was very appropriate for the audience who reads that mag. They target the demographic and advertise to them. It's all about getting people to look, whether it's PC or not.

So many people have seen "Meet Your Meat" and they have stopped the corpse food. Their literature is great too.
#25 Old 06-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not really for them, and not against them. I'm with Loki and Countess.
#26 Old 06-22-2005, 02:16 PM
MEM
Veggie Regular

Anti-Peta here. However, I'd consider supporting them if they would reverse their stance on the american pit bull terrier.
#27 Old 06-22-2005, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't agree with PETAs way of doing things, but I appreciate anyone that lists information on which products test on animals.

More of a moot point these days since so many great products clearly state that on the package now.

I'd never contribute anything to them though, they sound a little too unorganized to handle my money.

Single vegetarian for 19 years seeks tasty vegetables to devour. Reply only if interested in being consumed whole.
#28 Old 06-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

support the cause hate the method

I see the good peta do but i also agree that a lot of anti veg stems from them, i think some of there campaigns are pure genius and others make me angry that as a veg im associated with them
#29 Old 06-22-2005, 04:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I think many anti-PETA extremists have harmed the prospects of meaningful PETA criticism.

People who hate animal rights activists will hate you whether or not you support PETA. PETA is the most convenient target because they are the most visible. Though I agree that their tactic of playing to the public's prejudices is counterproductive, I'll stand by them when the Ted Nugents of the world try to divide and conquer.
#30 Old 06-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Veggie Regular

You don't have to agree with everything an organization does to acknowledge the great work that they do.

Like it or not, PETA is the single most effective AR organization that there is, I applaud the enourmous positive effect that they have had, and will continue to have on the AR movement.

I don't find PETA to be anti-feminist, one campaign using Pam Anderson in a lettuce bikini can get a lot of people's attention. Men and women pose in PETA's more racier campaigns, and by their own choosing. I also don't see how Peta persecutes overweight people. They have had plus size people in their various campaigns.

It is the animals who are being exploited horrifyingly, not PETA activists.

http://www.lettuceladies.com/ Peta's lettuce ladies

http://www.lettuceladies.com/broc.html & broccoli boys!

A multitude of tactics need to be used to appeal to people of all ages, all races, all sexes, to have a broader and more effective mass appeal.

It is not that easy to get people's attention in this world while we are constantly being inundated with ads and images from mass media. PETA is getting people's attention, and on the whole, they have a remarkably positive impact in the way people view animals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page