just out of curiousity... (vegans who have animals) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-15-2005, 12:50 AM

I read a thread that said that cat owners aren't vegan... So does that mean that anyone who has any kind of pet isn't vegan? So are you not vegan if you adopted a dog who was going to be put down at a pound or if you put a dish of food out for cats who may come across your neighborhood and although u dont actually own the cats, you come to know them and call them yours. Or how about having an animal rescue?... Would that be exploiting them? And do all vegans hold this to be true? I'm a new veggie and I'm trying to understand vegan and vegetarian views.... So then would someone who owns a pet be considered a strict vegetarian?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-15-2005, 01:06 AM
Veggie Regular

it seems to me that most vegans are okay with companion animals, especially if they are adopted rather than bought.

<-- vegan who lives with and cares for birds and rabbits.
#3 Old 06-15-2005, 01:13 AM
Banned

All of the vegans I've met have had cats or rabbits or dogs etc.

There are extremist vegans who are trying to take over the term and change the meaning to suit their own agenda.

The term 'Vegan' was invented by the originators of the concept in the UK in the 1940s. When in doubt, I review the Vegan Society's description of the term.

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/about_us/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-15-2005, 03:46 AM
Beginner

well, i would say supporting pet stores is never a good idea... puppy/other animal mills are no different than slaughter houses essentially. In order to make sure animals are "properly bred", etc. many animals are killed shortly after birth if they are not aesthetically pleasing as they would be of no commercial value.

however, of course any rescued companion animals would defintely be a "veg*n option" in my opinion, just be sure to feed them vegetarian options
#5 Old 06-15-2005, 05:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Woah, what a suggestion!

All my vegan friends have loads of animal companions, which have been rescued from all sorts of places. I don't see how anyone who loves animals could turn one away on the basis of saying "it's not vegan".

The fact that humanity has created domesticated animals is not our fault, all we can do now is deal with the consequences. Sharing your house with animal friends is not harmful to the animal, all they want is love and affection. If not, just provide them with the most natural environment you can..
#6 Old 06-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Some vegans hold the view that "owning" an animal violates animal rights, because the animals are in captivity and not there by their own choice. I don't hold this view (especially having 7 animals in the house) but would still be against the idea of trying to domesticate any more animals.
#7 Old 06-15-2005, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Owning pets is vegan in my opinion as long as the owner does what is in the best interest of the animal(s).
#8 Old 06-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

I have vegan friends who have been fedding their cats a vegan diet. I even know vegans who own rabbits so they can feed them veggies. I have owned cats for yrs & have been a veggie for 14 yrs. They are now not calling us "owners" but "guardians" so this way pets are not considered inferior or not part of the family.
#9 Old 06-15-2005, 10:55 AM
Baby Love

I don't think my doggies would want to be anywhere, but with me. I am certainly not doing them harm by caring for them. The opinion that people can't have 'companion animals' and be vegan is nuts
#10 Old 06-15-2005, 10:57 AM

I think what they MAY have meant is that if you don't feed your pets vegan, than by purchasing animal products for your pets you're not vegan? They said specifically cats, and as far as I'm concerned vegan cats are somewhat unnatural and difficult to feed properly (a bit more work than I'd want to put into it, anyway) and for this reason I wouldn't own a cat. Dogs are omnivores, as opposed to cats which are carnivores, and it seems a good bit easier to put a dog on a vegan diet. And most other more common pets eat almost herbivorous anyway. That's what it sounded like they were getting at to me anyway (Although I don't agree with that either).
#11 Old 06-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokara View Post

I think what they MAY have meant is that if you don't feed your pets vegan, than by purchasing animal products for your pets you're not vegan?

I've also heard people claim the 'owning'/confining of an animal to be anti-vegan. Its not just a food thing.
#12 Old 06-15-2005, 11:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I have three rescued dogs, and I consider myself to be Vegan. Lately, my local co-op has started selling nutritionally complete Vegan dog food, so my dogs are now Vegan. But I still considered myself Vegan even when the dogs weren't.

(By the way, I know the whole Vegan Dog thing is a touchy subject, but my dogs have never been healthier, FWIW.)

My dogs are my children. I feed them, bathe them, take them out on long walks, let them have the run of the house and generally love them like crazy.

I suppose a case could be made that pet ownership is not Vegan. After all, since owning animals is both legal and socially acceptable, the irresponsible, the ignorant and the cruel get to participate in animal ownership too, leading to much suffering, sorrow and death. But, on the other hand, I think looking into your dog's eyes and having the epiphany that all animals have the same right to peace and comfort as your dog probably leads a lot of people toward the A/R movement and becoming a veg*n. I sometimes think that being TOO separate from the animals can be nearly as bad in the long run as being tied into the culture of animal use. After all, how can you truly learn empathy for your fellow earthlings if you don't make friends with some of them?
#13 Old 06-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Beginner

i like to use the word animal companion instead of pet too, gets rid of the whole notion of ownership
#14 Old 06-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I think what would be unveg*n is owning animals that should be out in the wild rather than getting poor care and dying in captivity, like hermit crabs. ( I miss my Goji!)

Also I would suggest that adopting rescued animals *is* veg*n because it allows you to help reduce the suffering of animals, even if it's only one or two.
#15 Old 06-15-2005, 07:00 PM
Min
Veggie Regular

My 5 cats may be confined to the indoors but they have a longer healthier life because of it. My one cat Fozzi was to be put to sleep the day after I adopted him from the SPCA I don't see that having a pet is any kind of cruelty to an animal they are fed & loved daily & they know it I don't believe in buying animals but I will rescue any that show up at my door. I think it more cruel to watch an animal die in the dead of winter when I know I can give it a good home. These days they are in more danger wild then in a home.
#16 Old 06-16-2005, 12:49 AM

It was on an older thread that I somehow dug up the other day but can't remember it. Someone was saying that any true vegan doesnt own animals. I found that a bit odd too so I thought I would ask around.
#17 Old 06-16-2005, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjennwhoareyou View Post

It was on an older thread that I somehow dug up the other day but can't remember it. Someone was saying that any true vegan doesnt own animals. I found that a bit odd too so I thought I would ask around.

Anyone who pontificates on what a 'true vegan' is should be ignored, IMHO.
#18 Old 06-16-2005, 04:40 AM
Beginner

I have two red ear slider turtles. Sadly I can't feed them a vegan diet due to the fact that they are omni's and are sensitive to what they eat. I refuse to feed them feeder fish though.

Little did I know it at the time but I did rescue them from certain death. I bought them in the local mall at one of those small stands. This Asian guy was selling bamboo plants and I noticed these two baby turtles (they are illegal to sell as babies in the US) in a very small container with some water in it. He claimed they were chinese water turtles, they don't grow very large, and like the cold water.

After a trip to Petco, I found out they were red eared sliders that are native to the central US states, require about 75-80 degree water, UVB and UVA lights for heat and health, and basking area so they can dry off and keep warm during the day. Like most reptiles. But shortly after this visit to Petco some of the employees got together and had that guy shut down.

After buying the turtles I noticed another container off to the side that had at least 20 more. I'm sure they had a no so good fate after he was shut down. Most of this I didn't even put together in my mind until later because I was caught up in the holiday season.
#19 Old 06-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I think as long as the vegan doesn't EAT his or her companion animal, it's all kosher... so to speak.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#20 Old 06-18-2005, 03:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I am lucky enough to share my life with 3 cats and 8 fish. They all depend on me, and I'm happy to provide for them. Cats cannot be vegetarians, so I feed them cat food. Just because I don't eat animal products doesn't mean that they don't need their taurine to survive. I love my kitties, and I'd do anything for them.

My goldfish, and my bettas are not veg*n. They are omni's, and I do my best to provide them with a varied and healthy diet. All but 2 of my goldies are very people-friendly, and will let me pet them, and even hold them in my hand.

If that makes me not a true vegan, then I guess I will never be a true vegan.

And I don't care. My animals are all my kids, and I will continue to do all I can to give them the best diet and environment (not to mention LOVE) that I can. Anyone who doesn't like it can go get tossed.
#21 Old 06-18-2005, 08:32 AM
Veggie Regular

(Hi Brandon!! How are your fishies these days?)

When we had chickens, they preferred the barn cat's food over their food... I tried gently having discussions with the chickens about being vegetarian but they weren't very receptive to the idea...
#22 Old 06-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

(Hi Brandon!! How are your fishies these days?)

When we had chickens, they preferred the barn cat's food over their food... I tried gently having discussions with the chickens about being vegetarian but they weren't very receptive to the idea...

Thanks for asking! Serendipity, Cinder, Grover, Guillermo, Ishmael, Arthur Weasley, Linus and Amelia are doing very well!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page