soy milk still making me stuffy? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2005, 09:04 AM

hey all,

i have a problem with seasonal allergies and asthma and i've known that having dairy products during this time only makes it much worse. thus, after becoming a vegetarian/nomilk,meatoreggsarian, i figured that it would only help in cleansing my system. however, when i drink my soy milk (typically so good), i still feel the effects of nasal congestion. could this be a deep rooted psychological fear or is there just something in the soy milk that's still stuffing me up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know much about deep rooted psychological fears, so that's entirely possible, but my guess would be that you're allergic to soy.
#3 Old 06-12-2005, 09:13 AM

well i was mostly joking about that, but i have a whole slew of other soy products that i have to no effect, soydogs, soyburgers, soy chicken chunks, soy lunch meats, soygurt. i thought that it may be the consistancy of the soy milk and milk in general but i don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-12-2005, 09:19 AM
Beginner

Well if the soy milk is the only thing that seems to be giving you a problem try some other products like rice milk or almond milk. If one of those works then problem solved. Rice milk (at least the kind i buy) tends to be a little less creamy than soy milk so if its a consistancy thing it might help.
#5 Old 06-12-2005, 09:22 AM

There's been discussion about this before. One of the possibilities was that there is a reaction to carageenan, an additive used in soymilk. Have you tried experimenting with different brands?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 06-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Beginner

hmm, somecomponent of cow's milk stimulates mucousal cells... which makes you stuffy/phlegmy(yum!)

but that doesn't exist in soy... my bet is psychological

i'd say try different brands (or maybe rice milk)
#7 Old 06-12-2005, 10:51 AM

alright i think i'll try some of the other milks out, thanks
#8 Old 06-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Beginner

try almond milk
#9 Old 06-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stey View Post

try almond milk

Chocolate almond breeze.

Anything can do anything. You're probably having reaction to the carrageenan in soy milk. There are a few round here that are so it's not that unusual. It just means that you have to find a plant milk that doesn't have carrageenan in it. I'm not sensitive to it myself so I wouldn't know which brands / flavours you could try, but I'm sure someone else that *is* sensitive can give you help on that or you could just check it out next time you're at the market.

Much luck with finding something you can drink.
#10 Old 06-13-2005, 02:55 PM

i bought some soy milk yesterday that didnt contain carageenan and i was breathing like...someone who's good at breathing. thanks everyone for your help.
#11 Old 06-13-2005, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians.account View Post

hey all,

i have a problem with seasonal allergies and asthma and i've known that having dairy products during this time only makes it much worse. thus, after becoming a vegetarian/nomilk,meatoreggsarian, i figured that it would only help in cleansing my system. however, when i drink my soy milk (typically so good), i still feel the effects of nasal congestion. could this be a deep rooted psychological fear or is there just something in the soy milk that's still stuffing me up?

Try pea milk?? Its better for you and the environment.

Ghost
#12 Old 06-13-2005, 06:53 PM

Pea milk = blech, IMO.

But how do you believe it's better for you/the environment than other non-dairy milks?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page