Veat, is it available in Canada? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-29-2005, 08:13 PM

I'm in NW Ontario, Sioux Lookout! One very small very boring and very anti-vegetarian/vegan . We only have 1 grocerie store and there is only 1 tiny space for vegetarian product in all the store , hiding way in the back and i think i'm the only one buying anything vegetarian there lol! I work there and i never see anyone else buying any Tofu, meat substitute, or soy products. That's really sad... I think they won't carry my stuff much longer if it doesn't sell better....

The nearest other town is Dryden, it's 1 hour drive from here. I called Safeway there today to find out if they had soemthing call VEAT (i was told by someone online that this is the best chick'n breast ever) So i asked the lady on the phone if they had a soy based meat substitute name Veat. She asked :" What is it? Is it beef ,pork or chicken?" I told her :" no it's not real meat it's meat substitute. It would probably be located near your tofu section " She says:" Tofu? Is that a vegetable? " I told her :" Well i think it's near you vegetable section " She then transfered me to the produces departement. They had no clue what meat substitute was either lol! They finally told me that they had some Yves ground round and some Bocca burger .

Does anyone know if Veat is available in Ontario ?

Being vegetarian is really hard around here. Everyone is soo big on hunting and fishing and being cruel to animal. This community is soooo far behind when it come to animal right and to vegetarian and vegan stuff it's unreal!

Helene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-29-2005, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm originally from Ontario and I've never heard of Veat. I'm in Saskatchewan now and there's no Veat here either. I suggest you stick with Yves and whatever other substitutes you can find. I think that'll be the best you can do in Sioux Lookout, unfortunately.

PS.. there are some online vegan/vegetarian stores that ship to Canada. Maybe you can find some stuff online. Good luck.
#3 Old 05-30-2005, 03:52 PM

I really like most of the Yve's product but i haven't found a good substitute for chicken yet (other then Schneiders breaded chick'n nuggets and burger, totally amazing!!!) I would like a good substitute for plain chicken breast and haven't found one yet...Someone online told me that the Veat stuff is soooo good it could even fool my husband (who is not totally vegetarian)They have a phone number on their site, i guess i will call them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I've lived in Ontario, New Brunswick and BC.. I've never heard of Veat. The best chicken substitute I've found is Boca Chik'n burgers/nuggets, though I don't believe it's vegan (egg, I think). Good luck!
#5 Old 05-30-2005, 04:02 PM

thanks , i really like the Schneiders chick'n burger and nuggets . I think they are better then Boca (just my opinion). But i'm looking for a chicken substitute that is not breaded. It's kinda hard to explain take a look at their site. I want to find something like the chick'n free breast. It look like real chick'n breast and i was told by someone in the US that even my husband would like it because it taste so much like chick'n. I got him off beef and pork but he still eat chicken because i just can't find anything that taste enough like plain chicken breast for him to eat...
#6 Old 05-30-2005, 04:07 PM

I called Veat and left a message on their answering machine...i'll let you know what they say if they call me back

(wanted to post a link to the Veat website but i can't cause i'm new. But it's easy enough to find )
#7 Old 06-01-2005, 08:26 AM

They did write back , they said that their products weren't available in Canada yet but they are now getting bilingual packaging and are planning to sell them here in the very near future

Helene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page