Why are we so "unhealthy"? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-16-2005, 01:24 AM

Back when I was omni I ate fast food constantly and really had no concern over nutrition, if I skipped a meal no one cared. Now that I'm veg, I feel like people are constantly watching and on my case. If I'm not hungry or if I am eating something that is junk people go crazy! Telling me how I need to blah blah blah if I want to be healthy.

Why do people think this way? Why do they even care? No one cared when I ate meat?? And most of the time they are eating bacon or a big mac while they say this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-16-2005, 04:27 AM

Didn't you know? Being different is bad for your health.
#3 Old 05-16-2005, 04:28 AM
Veggie Regular

no, it makes you goth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-16-2005, 04:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownieB26 View Post

no, it makes you goth.

A goth hacker.
#5 Old 05-16-2005, 06:07 AM
Veggie Regular

mostly because they don't understand.

most people have very little understanding of health and nutrition. my husband is an omnivore but eats very healthy. he doesn't eat fast food or junk food at all. People make comments to him all the time--i could never be that way, you eat too healthy, you need to loosen up and have fun with your food, etc--the same things that i get as a veg*n.

part of it is a sort of guilt. people want to fit in. they know that they're doing something not-so-great (i think nearly everyone realizes that fast food is not healthy for you) and when you're not doing it, it makes it glaringly obvious that they're doing something 'unhealthy' or 'bad.' they are self-judging, and in some cases, assuming that you're judging them, so they're 'beating you to the punch' by mentioning their unhealthiness first, and trying to focus on yours.

at least, that's the best i can figure.
#6 Old 05-16-2005, 06:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I think part of it is due to most omnivore's very limited and unvaried diets. Think about what the average omnivore eats. Now, they're basing our diet on what their diet is, MINUS meat (and for vegans, dairy and eggs). When you subtract those things from a standard omnivore diet, it doesn't leave much! Therefore, they assume that's all we eat and (somewhat rightfully) wonder how it can be healthy.

Most of them aren't counting the whole new world of food that opens up when a vegetarian/vegan diet is adopted! I know my (omnivore) dad is always saying he's amazed at all the interesting and varied things I eat now; things I wouldn't have considered eating as an omnivore. Since most people don't know about all the wonderful foods that are out there, they can't imagine what on earth we're eating and figure we must be terribly unhealthy as a result.

There's also the indoctrination people receive about the heath and neccessity of meat/dairy, which is a huge factor.
#7 Old 05-16-2005, 06:50 AM

I'm a physically unhealthy vegan. Basically because I was an unhealthy omnivore for so long. I've tried eating more healthier, but I always slide back to what I call junk. Just because you become veg*n from omni doesn't automatically mean you'll become a more healthy eater. I know what I have to do to feed my body good and it crosses my mind, but when it comes down to it I make a half hearted attempt. No one really says anything to me about it. I think it would be rude of them if they did, unless of course I was really close to them, they ate healthier than I, and were getting in my business because they truly cared. Then I would be grateful. But, most folks don't give a crap so they don't even pay attention.
#8 Old 05-16-2005, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

You're right, veg*nism doesn't automatically equal healthy eating. It has for me, but all one has to do is look at some of the threads on this board to see that it's definitely not the case for everyone. However, I think what I said above does reflect why it's assumed veg*ns are unhealthy, whether they actually are or not, you know?
#9 Old 05-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Because vegans don't get enough protein, iron or calcium. ...Or sodium, cholesterol, saturated fat, pesticides, free radicals, pathogenic microorganisms...

I agree with Zoebird. I think most of the time it's pre-emptive mis-directed guilt. But some of the time its misinformation (e.g. When I told my mother the nations with the highest dairy intake have the highest hip fracture rate she was floored, and probably thought I was making it up. )
#10 Old 05-16-2005, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I think that some omnis see vegans as "living on the edge" and if we aren't extremely diligent about eating properly, we're goners. I think that omnis think meat eating gives them a lot of slack.

I had a cooking teacher that once went into great detail about how vegetarians must be very careful and food combine. She made being a vegetarian sound pretty risky.
#11 Old 05-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been around and around on this with my family. When I was an omni, I took zero notice regarding vitamins, protein, iron, stuff like that. Now that I'm vegan, they're all paranoid that I won't be getting this or that, now that I've finally taken notice and careful planning as to what I'm eating. Just the other day, one of my brothers was telling me I wouldn't get enough protein. He said this as he chowed down on his third brownie (vegan brownie, may I add ) for breakfast and was already deciding what he'd get at McDonald's for lunch. Sighhh.
#12 Old 05-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I love how people who eat meat often seem to think that by default it gives them expertise in nutritional issues.
#13 Old 05-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Veggie Regular

We're unhealthy because all we eat is ice berg lettuce and baby carrots.

Duh, people.

Cheers!
#14 Old 05-16-2005, 10:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Because you aren't eating what they are eating you must be eating nothing and thus dying of malnutrition.
#15 Old 05-16-2005, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

I love how people who eat meat often seem to think that by default it gives them expertise in nutritional issues.

#16 Old 05-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

I had a cooking teacher that once went into great detail about how vegetarians must be very careful and food combine. She made being a vegetarian sound pretty risky.

My bio 1 teacher did the same. Protein complentation is even in the text.
#17 Old 05-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

The idea of combining proteins used to be taken very seriously by some sectors of the vegetarian community, too. I had a cookbook that went into great detail about it. I think the need for protein combining has been disproven, though.
#18 Old 05-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

...and base their expertise on anecdotes: Somebody they know seemed to eat nothing but salad, brown rice and tofu and then got really sick or was diagnosed with cancer, therefore a veg*an diet is unhealthy and even dangerous...

*this space not for sale*
#19 Old 05-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

...and base their expertise on anecdotes: Somebody they know seemed to eat nothing but salad, brown rice and tofu and then got really sick or was diagnosed with cancer, therefore a veg*an diet is unhealthy and even dangerous...

We all know omnis don't ever get sick or have cancer.
#20 Old 05-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I knew a person that seemed to eat nothing but meat and junk food

and they got heart disease. But I don't assume their diet had anything

to do with it.

...oh, wait. Yes, I do!
#21 Old 05-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Beginner

Meat and dairy eating are considered the norm.Vegetarians and vegans are some freakish deviation that they can't understand,so they have to analyze and find fault with what you're eating.
#22 Old 05-16-2005, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

With the whole dairy consuming/higher rate of osteoporosis argument, wouldn't there be other factors which contribute to that problem? Such as longer life expectancy and more sedentary lifestyles in more developed nations?
#23 Old 05-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Or possibly.........genetics-?
#24 Old 05-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Veggie Regular

The owner of the salon I work at was well on his way to becoming a strict vegetarian....until his doctor talked him out of it. He told him that he needed to eat chicken at least 3 times a week. He said it was because he needed B12. He told him that B12 ONLY comes from animal products, and that all B12 supplements are derived from animals. Of course he believes him...regardless of what information I throw his way. I tried to inform him of other options, but it seems he's happy eating the chicken...though he *says* he doesn't want to.
#25 Old 05-16-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post

Didn't you know? Being different is bad for your health.

One particular member of my family is always watching everything I eat and is all too happy to point out an unhealthy moment. In fact, the better I eat, the angrier it makes her. No one likes to have their every day activities questioned and often feel that if you decide to eat compassionately, that you're automatically telling them they suck.

(which they do...just a little)
#26 Old 05-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummusisyummus View Post

(e.g. When I told my mother the nations with the highest dairy intake have the highest hip fracture rate she was floored, and probably thought I was making it up. )

really?

how can that be?

whenever i have soy milk in the house i make sure that i drink enough to where i ahve 100% of the calcium i need to have each day. becasue my family thinks i'm going to have problems when i'm older and i want to prove them wrong. ...... so calcium doesnt help? that would suck! or is that that people arent getting enough calcium,.... but then how could that be if it has the highest dairy intake. .... maybe its the physical activity people undergo - nooooo. i dont think thats it either.

so, how?>"
#27 Old 05-16-2005, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Animal protein! ><

www.milksucks.com

PS - drink your calcium. Your health is worth more than proving somebody wrong
#28 Old 05-16-2005, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrell View Post

If I'm not hungry or if I am eating something that is junk people go crazy! Telling me how I need to blah blah blah if I want to be healthy.

I know exactly how you feel Sorrell.I've been getting this alot lately.
#29 Old 05-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_vegan View Post

We're unhealthy because all we eat is ice berg lettuce and baby carrots.

Don't forget the peanut butter!
#30 Old 05-16-2005, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAded View Post

With the whole dairy consuming/higher rate of osteoporosis argument, wouldn't there be other factors which contribute to that problem? Such as longer life expectancy and more sedentary lifestyles in more developed nations?

They attempt to control for differences in life expectancy and exercise, but yeah, that is a problem with comparing countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tash View Post

Or possibly.........genetics-?

When Japanese people assume a Western diet their osteoporosis increases to that of the average American. Same goes for people of African descent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page