Anyone go omni -> vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-14-2005, 09:17 AM

I used to be a vegetarian (1998 - 2000) and fell off the wagon whilst training for a marathon. I've dabbled in vegetarianism on and off but have been unable to commit, usually because I'm just not satisfied with much of the vegan food I've tried. Recently I was introduced to a vegan friend who cooks fantastically flavorful whole foods (not a lot of soy, cheese subs, etc.) and I think I'm hooked. Talk about making meat dishes look bland! Anyhow, with her help in pointing me in the direction of recipes I like, I'm seriously thinking about making the leap to veganism, especially now that I'm 30 and have watched my family's dairy consumption go through the roof. Ethics, health...there are two very strong reasons to make the leap.

So, anyone here go omni -> vegan rather than making a slow transition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2005, 09:43 AM

Well I didnt go from being an omnivore to a vegan, but I was only a vegetarian for about a month or so in between. So it wasnt a very slow transition.

Good luck, though!
#3 Old 05-14-2005, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^ I too, was vegetarian for probably less than a month... a few weeks really.

It didn't take me long to realize veganism was the way to go. Consider yourself very fortunate to have someone to guide you... I've relied on this site mainly, and a few books which I haven't really been able to pick up yet, with college ending for the summer & all. I just have finals left, but as soon as they're over with, I'm diving right into those books, so I can really be sure I'm doing this right. I really didn't find it too difficult, and the only "replacement" products I've ever eaten are veggie burgers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveGirl View Post

Recently I was introduced to a vegan friend who cooks fantastically flavorful whole foods (not a lot of soy, cheese subs, etc.) and I think I'm hooked. Talk about making meat dishes look bland!

You are very lucky to have a friend like that.
#5 Old 05-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

i went omni to vegan instantly. a friend loaned me a PETA magazine and i read it and was horrified by some of their articles on factory farming. i then sat down to my favourite meal of chinese food, all with meat, and didn't enjoy a crumb of it. later i went online, did a little research, found this site and realized there are a lot more vegans in the world than i thought, and just sorta said to myself "ok i'm vegan now"

and i stuck with it, maybe not 100% and i had a few minor slips (mostly involving milk chocolate ) but i'm pretty proud of how i stuck with it especially after my family and friends said it was a phase and i'd be back to eating meat in a week.

anyway the best advice i can give is if you plan to go straight from omni to vegan, give it a couple days and ease yourself off the meat and dairy. set a specific goal like you'll be vegan by this time next week and take that time to try some vegan dishes but don't limit yourself completely from meat and dairy yet.

when i switched i did it too quickly and though i don't regret it, it was hard on my body. i had some wicked stomach aches and digestive.. uh.. issues.. for a few weeks. just my body working out all the guck from years of eating crap. but it was unpleasant. so give yourself a few days and don't beat yourself up over slipups, we all have them, especially when we're first making the change, it's no big deal and yes you're still vegan if you accidentally (or purposely) eat a small amount of something unvegan once or twice. being anal about it will only make it harder and make you less likely to keep at it.

good luck

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#6 Old 05-15-2005, 12:16 AM
Banned

One day I was eating a McDs cheeseburger and the next day I was vegan. Literally. Luckily I had some friends show me how to cook vegan meals and where to shop and what to buy. I found the whole process to be incredibly easy and I didn't have any digestive issues at all. In fact, eating vegan caused me to eat way more healthily than I was before and I immediately noticed positive changes in my energy level and my general overall well being. It was like waking up.
#7 Old 05-15-2005, 12:28 AM
Veggie Regular

A combination of health issues (severe meat and dairy induced heartburn) and having read The Food Revolution by John Robbins pretty much sealed my route directly to veganism. I like to cook and experiment in the kitchen, and fortunately I was able to get some really good cookbooks from the very beginning. Having access to tasty food definitely helps. The biggest inconvience for me was going out to eat. However, I don't go out to eat very often, and when I do I generally have every restaurant within a 20 mile radius thoroughly researched. Ummm..yeah, I really like good food.
#8 Old 05-15-2005, 11:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay, John! (Food Rev strikes again)

I went vegan instantly. No transition of any kind. My wife helped finish off non-vegan foods in our home for a few days, but the rest was given away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page