Vegan in Kenya! (please help) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey everyone

(sorry if this is in the wrong forum).

I was looking for some advice, as in July I'll be going to Kenya for 1 month.

I need to buy some really strong suncream and insect repellant that's vegan and not animal tested, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good brands?

I don't mind buying online, but I'm in the UK so can't buy stuff from US-based companies that won't ship abroad.

So far I've found a few things on veganessentials, but not much! Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

ok, there are lots of sun screen advice around here and any wil do. kiss my face seems popular.

as for bug repellent, here is my three fold recommendation:

1. take lots of b vitamins now and continue to take them all throughout your trip. b vitamins tend to keep insects from biting you--for some reason.

2. consider getting lemongrass essential oil and adding it to water to make a body spray or add it to massage oil and use as your daily lotion. lemongrass (citronelle is another term for it) is a natural insect repellant.

3. most people recommend taking Larium to prevent malaria and using an insect repellant that contains deet. I did the insect repellant; i did not do the larium. it's a psychotropic and can have weird consequences (mostly bad dreams, but it may be connected with a rage-psychosis that led some young military men to kill their wives after extended use).

also, for food, be mindful. when i was there, if the thing came with cheese, and i asked for no cheese, i often got extra cheese. since most f the people there are starving (per capita, i'd say), i just ate it and dealth with the significant indigestion (it's not great cheese).

have fun in kenya!
#3 Old 05-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Veggie Regular

DEET is the only insect repellent proven to work and it's definitely been tested on animals. I hate using the stuff, but I also hate being eaten alive by mosquitos, so I use it when I'm camping. It's your call, obviously.

As to sunblock, try this thread: https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...650#post449650. I've used No-Ad because it's cheap -- interesting to know it's vegan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Oooh, thank you.

I will be taking malaria medication (boooo! ), which was a really tough decision (as were all the vaccinations I've had to have). I've heard of all the side effects - worrying eh. I'll definitely shop around for hopefully a good insect repellant.

Food should not be a problem as I'm going with a really good Gap year organisation that cater for all dietary types, plus they've had vegans before

I'm hoping my local health food shop has some good stuff!
#5 Old 05-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post

1. take lots of b vitamins now and continue to take them all throughout your trip. b vitamins tend to keep insects from biting you--for some reason.

2. consider getting lemongrass essential oil and adding it to water to make a body spray or add it to massage oil and use as your daily lotion. lemongrass (citronelle is another term for it) is a natural insect repellant.

gah, i wish the first worked for me!

i'll have to try the second.
#6 Old 05-12-2005, 06:55 PM

Are you going to be outside at night?

I dont know much about Kenya, but Ive spent about a year in Ghana, and the mosquitoes there didnt start to come out until about 6:00 PM. I can understand whyd youd want some kind of insect repellant for when youre sleeping, though.

But the only time I ever needed insect repellent was for when Id be outside after six to keep the mosquitoes away, the other bugs hardly ever bothered me. But again, I know next to nothing about Kenya so maybe they have some nasty bugs there other then mosquitoes.

The whole time I was there I didnt take any medication to prevent malaria, and I thankfully didnt get it. The people I was staying with would only take it when they actually got malaria because the medication would make them feel bad, have bad dreams, and would make them very sun sensitive.

Have fun while you're there.
#7 Old 05-13-2005, 06:08 AM

Try Alba-they've got some great products.

Don't use Deet-please, for your own health. That stuff is so dangerous and should be banned. It melts plastic as soon as it's touched by your hands that have deet on them from spreading it on your body. NASTY!!
#8 Old 05-13-2005, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I was in Eastern Africa in that season and mosquitos were not really a problem (although you should still take some repellant just in case). The tsetse flies in some regions were fierce, though.
#9 Old 05-13-2005, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all the advice! Ehh some scary stories there! Will definitely avoid DEET.

I won't be out at night, but will be out in the evenings. I feel quite confident I can get hold of some repellant that'll be fine, as I'm not too worried about it being as strong as I thought I'd need.

Any other tips for survival?!
#10 Old 05-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Where has the lions??

ONLY IN KENYAAAA

Come to Kenya WE GOT LIONSSSSS!!!

Cheers!
#11 Old 05-14-2005, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

If you don't use DEET, you're risking malaria and other mosquito born diseases. These diseases are very serious.

I'd say use it sparingly and only if you're out during the mosquito hours.

Up to you, though. Choose between risks.
#12 Old 05-15-2005, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

i did use an insect repellant with deet, but you're only supposed to put it on exposed skin.

while in kenya, i always covered my arms (3/4), my legs (pants), and my feet (no sandals). the only part that i had deet on, then, was my neck, forearms, and hands. i actually went through a morning ritual that went thus:

shower and then use lemongrass infused massage oil. let that soak in, get dressed, and use DEET insect repellant (lotion form) on hands, forearms, and neck.

my sunscreen and primary insect repellant was staying covered up (as i said, i dressed conservatively). Also, after i washed my clothes, i used a water-spray of lemongrass water on the clothes.

like i said, not one insect bite or sunburn the whole trip.
#13 Old 05-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_vegan View Post

Where has the lions??

ONLY IN KENYAAAA

Come to Kenya WE GOT LIONSSSSS!!!

Cheers!

LOL!!!!!

(Forget Norway!)
#14 Old 05-15-2005, 01:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganinohio View Post

If you don't use DEET, you're risking malaria and other mosquito born diseases. These diseases are very serious.

I'd say use it sparingly and only if you're out during the mosquito hours.

Up to you, though. Choose between risks.

Hmm, I'd rather be safe than sorry. I'll see what I can get hold of Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page