Do you ever feel guilty... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-01-2003, 05:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Thinking about all the meat you've ate in the past?

I try not to think about it, but there is definitely some guilt there. One time in particular comes to mind... We were on the way home from my aunt's and I thought I just HAD to have a whopper from BK. When I bit into the thing, I wanted to gag! The thing tasted rotten, and I couldn't eat it. I figured it most have been sitting out all day, since it was pretty late when I got it. I didn't think too much of it then, but now, I think to myself, how many cows had to die to make that disgusting hamburger? How much did they suffer when they were alive, how much pain did they feel when they were killed? They went through all that just to have me turn up my nose at their remains. What a waste.

Anyway, I don't dwell on stuff like that, but I really wonder what kind of state of kind I was in back then. I also remember chewing on a chicken bone after eating a piece of chicken flesh!! Gag, gag, gag! What was I thinking?!

So, back to my question... Do you ever feel guilty? Also, what are some things you ate that make you sick just thinking about now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-01-2003, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Guilty? no. Nauseated, yes.

Of course at first (since it was more of a allergy thing over animal issues), I didn't think anything of it. As time went on, it just started looking way too much like a dead aniaml whenever I saw someone eating it. Of couse the ones I saw eating food like it raw which made me cringe even when I did eat meat.

Strange though, I never really liked meat in general... I also found tofu and soybeans to be as disgusting as I now think of meat -> completely switched there.
#3 Old 06-01-2003, 05:42 PM

i never feel quilty. for me it was like being asleep. one day i just woke up. the information and the mentality isnt around/wasnt around my family until i took the initiative. so no i dont feel guilty about eating meat until i was 19. for 19 years i was in the dark and was being fed bull**** from peope i thought i could trust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-01-2003, 05:43 PM

haha. quilty... i mean GUILTY
#5 Old 06-01-2003, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I never feel guilty about the meat I ate in the past. I do however, feel gulity about the cheese and eggs that I do eat now. In the past few months, I have reduced the amount of these items that I do eat though by quite a bit. This is how vegetarianism started for me too. I started feeling gulity about eating meat. Then I stopped completely. Maybe this is how it will work for veganism for me too.
#6 Old 06-01-2003, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Nope, no guilt here either. I sometimes feel guilt over not being vegan but I appease myself with the knowledge that I'm doing way more than most people. That and knowing that I'll do it someday.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 06-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Veggie Regular

It's been six years since I ate meat. I don't feel guilty. It's in the past. All I can say now is that I've stopped doing it, and this makes me feel better. Though it's kinda hard to believe that I have actually eaten meat, albeit six years ago.

One cannot change the past, but the future is up to us to either make the choice, or understand we we've already made the choice. (Guess what movie I went to see last weekend?)
#8 Old 06-01-2003, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't feel guilty, but wish I had done it sooner. I have 24 years of meat-eating to balance out. I don't feel guilty because I wasn't ready, and I learned from it. When I started getting soooo depressed over my hypocrisy then I was ready. Guilt is a wasted emotion. Learn from it and move on.
#9 Old 06-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Rationally I agree with shewolf.

Though I sometimes *do* feel guilty and sorry.

I feel sorry for the animals I ate.

And I feel guilty for not seeing it earlier. I generally like to think of myself as an intelligent guy and I find it inacceptable that I didn't make the connection for so long. I also don't believe much in "collective guilt" and think that it's everyone's duty to question and investigate as many things as possible. I failed miserably in this respect, for I had to be told the truth and didn't find out on my own. And the fact that it involves not lifeless objects, but animals who have feelings, makes it even worse.

But... it's nothing that paralyzes me or influences me much in my daily life though. I also don't blame myself - I think it is a good lesson in humility for me and a constant reminder to be vigilant and ask questions about everything.

But the question was do you ever feel guilty, and answering no to that would be a lie.

#10 Old 06-01-2003, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Never. If I had to carry around baggage for all the things that I've done in the past that I wouldn't do now it would be impossible for me to function. Maybe if I had more recently made the switch I would, but it was eight years ago at this point. I don't even think about it.
#11 Old 06-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry that I ever listened to my mother who told me that I could never become a vegetarian because I wouldn't get enough iron. I wanted to be a vegetarian when I was 16, finally made the switch when I had more control over my own diet at 23! And funnily enough, I have no problems with low iron now.
#12 Old 06-01-2003, 10:17 PM

I never feel guilty about the meat in the past. I was a very very very big meat eater, inhaling roast beef like it was air. But that doesn't make me feel guilty. I didn't know I was doing something that I would later find wrong.
#13 Old 06-02-2003, 02:02 AM
Banned

I've never had meat
#14 Old 06-02-2003, 02:18 AM

I began feeling guilty when I ate meat for the last time. It kind of built up over some time, and I just started eating it less. Now, I know there's nothing I could do about those lives that were seemingly wasted. I don't have to live with the guilt of eating it anymore, so I don't worry about it. As long as I am happy with my actions. Knowing what I know, I cannot eat meat/animal products again. I'm glad I am living this way, I am MUCH happier with my lifestyle, food, and the creativity it can offer!
#15 Old 06-02-2003, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I feel guilty when it crosses my mind. Not an all-consuming guilt that eats away at my soul or anything; I don't dwell on it. But I'm sad that I tried to be a veg as a kid, then gave up / gave in and became a voracious omnivore for years and years. Obviously I did know better, on some level. I pretty much just re-plugged myself into the Matrix, so to speak.

*Cypher munches steak* Says, "Ignorance is bliss."

#16 Old 06-02-2003, 12:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I get pretty disgusted with myself when I think of all the meat I used to eat (I was the "Fast Food Queen"), especially since I read about the horrors of the meat industry but still continued to eat it for quite a few months afterwards, but felt guilty while doing it. And to think I even used to eat veal when I was young , but at least I had the sense to stop eating that a few years before going veg. But even though I have alot of regrets, I am pretty much guilt-free now because I'm vegan. It's like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders. "Better late than never" anyway.
#17 Old 06-02-2003, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Not Guilty, Just angry I can't help but blame certain *hint hint* "industries" for misleading me just for their own profit.
#18 Old 06-02-2003, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

And besides i hardly ate meat anyway. But it is gross
#19 Old 06-02-2003, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I do feel guilty. I was 28 when I went vegetarian...so, I wish that I had done it a lot sooner. I just try not to dwell on those feelings because it doesn't do any good.
#20 Old 06-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Feeling guilty for something you did in the past is useless unless you use that as motivation to change your behavior. Most of us here have already done that, so why feel guilty? It accomplishes nothing.

No use crying over spilt soymilk!
#21 Old 06-03-2003, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you have to look at the thousands well billions of omnis, and remember when you were once walking asleep....Now, you are awake...., and have the power to spread informations, ideas, and celebrate your new openmindedness~!

It kind of reminds me of the matrix. And the human fields remind me so much of factory farms! Also, if you check out the opening page here....www.adbusters.org . That's what I was thinking of. I think it is a good way of thinking about it, your omni past and others now. I dont think I was an evil 10 year old! I just did'nt know.
#22 Old 06-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by shadow-panther

It kind of reminds me of the matrix. And the human fields remind me so much of factory farms!

Dude! You stole my post! j/k, but it is funny that you posted the same thing I did within a day of me posting it.

Glad to know I'm not the only member of Zion here.

Kurm's going to roll his eyes when he reads this, LOL.
#23 Old 06-04-2003, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Teehee, we should form the Matrix-veg*n club...
#24 Old 06-04-2003, 08:36 AM
Beginner

sounds cool ^_^

i've never eaten red meat in my life, but sometimes i wish i had (hear me out) if only so that i could be, i don't know, MORE guilty. so far i don't feel like going veg has been a huge change (which could be a good thing) and i sometimes wish there was something that would make me radically hate all meat untill the end of time. i'm sure it will disgust me more over time, but i'm impatient. ----> so far a haven't craved a darn thing though, so i really have nothing to complain about.
#25 Old 06-04-2003, 01:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by me

Obviously I did know better, on some level. I pretty much just re-plugged myself into the Matrix, so to speak.

*Cypher munches steak* Says, "Ignorance is bliss."

Hey Epski and Shadow-panther! You both stole my post! As far as this thread goes anyway.
#26 Old 06-04-2003, 03:20 PM

i feel terribly guilty but i'm so glad i've 'awoken' so early on. as far as things go, i don't think it took me that long and if i had pushed to be where i am now early, it would have only been by a few months. still, i do feel kinda sick thinking of me eating meat and laughing at people asking me if they wanted me to finish off their 'part of a cow'.
#27 Old 06-05-2003, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

*cracks up* matrix veg*n club. Awesome! Actually, I have'nt seen the 2nd one yet- I basically watched the Matrix for the first time a weekend ago. I scanned the first few posts, so I did'nt know I was stealin nuthin. lol. I wanted to babble- I was doubly inspired, by adbusters and the matrix! Thats so funny. Veggieboards makes me happi.

I remember now, of course that in 6th grade my friend wanted me to go veg, they we're reading me parts from slaughterhouse. I did'nt quite make the connection, though I have'nt eaten hamburgers for years. Nasty stuff. Well, I remembered the title of the book, Slaughterhouse and read it this March. That is a really terrrifying, "affirming" book. And i guarentee you wont wanna touch meat again.
#28 Old 06-05-2003, 03:47 PM

I don't feel guilty now, because I wasn't aware of how animals were treated and such back when I ate meat. However I did feel guilty when I found out how they were treated and I immediatly decided to go vegetarian. I do feel discusted though when I think that I actually used to eat meat before. About 4 months ago I felt guilty about still consuming dairy, so I went vegan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page